AuthorPost
soonerBAS
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 08:38 pm

according to several news reports like this one --

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/football/2021/07/21/texas-oklahoma-officials-evasive-when-asked-possible-discussions-sec/8047054002/

OU and Texas have been talking to the sec and an announcement could come soon.

WishBone
DEPs

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 08:48 pm

Yes its happening before our eyes in part because JC spoke to the big 12 commish about all the 11 am games and they pretty much said "you signed the contract too."So I guess Joe took it personal and I dont think they realize how big A Ballz ole Joe has or how much clout he has.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 08:52 pm

Look the SEC pays like almost 50 mil a school ... The Big 12 is 4th behind B1G, SEC and ACC. I keep hoping there is a way to rebuild the Big 12 around 2024... however if the powers that Be have run all the scenerios then who knows .. OU can't take 14-16 mil a year less forever ... :whorns: would have to give up their network .. but ESpin owns the SEC AND whorns network, so in that respect it would make sense. Not thrilled with it, but after reading all the CR@P on the B1G boards about their amazing research blah .. blah ... blah I really don't want OU going there. The So-cal schools are football dumpster fires, cause apparently left coast woke types do not go to FB games... so it is what it is.

Also all the B1G message keep saying they want KU and ISU ... BB and ISU has a decent FB team ( for now) and they are AAU .. who knows if KU and/or ISU have some backroom deal with the B1G .. then OU and UT might very well head for the exits too. I'm sure A&M would be lemoncookiesed

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:11 pm by captnop

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 08:56 pm

Something like this?

West:
OU
Texas
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss St

East:
Alabama
Auburn
Vandy
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Kentucky

——-

And then something like this?:

Iowa State and Kansas to the B1G

West Virginia and K State to the ACC

Texas Tech, OK St, Baylor and TCU to the Pac12

The Big12 would completely disappear

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:02 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Something like this?

West:
OU
Texas
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss St

East:
Alabama
Auburn
Vandy
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Kentucky

——-

I'm not thrilled .. but that would better than playing Minnesota and Iowa in the B1G

Would anyone miss playing OSWho ?? I didn't think so.

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:03 pm by captnop

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:03 pm

Do we have to practice our SEC chants? (Barf)

This would be the premiere conference in football. With 16 teams thats 8 per side meaning 7 games vs your side and what, 1 or 2 vs other side?

Their TV contract would likely grow to bigger bucks per school bringing in OU and TX.

To me the other move is bring in 4 teams to make it 18 total and have 3 divisions. Bring KSU and Iowa State to increase TV (states) footprint. Then play 5 vs div and have 3 or 4 rotating games vs other div teams. Might be hard to decide who plays in conf title game though as 1 div is left out

soonerBAS
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:04 pm

a&m probably isn't thrilled with the talk, thought they were out of Texas shadow only to find themselves there again.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:06 pm

As much as I hate to say ... this makes almost too much sense for them NOT to at least be running some numbers.

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:08 pm

Oklahoma's complaints about pervasive 11 a.m. kickoffs are not quite so funny now. It was likely never that funny to the Norman, Okla. merchants that rely on game day crowds and to out-of-state recruits trying to visit 12 hours after playing a high school football game.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:16 pm

Wanna bet that was one of Joe C's first questions .. how many 11 am kick offs will we have.. That was an extremely stupid comment for Bowlsby to make about Joe C/Oklahoma. If it weren't for OU ( and UT) there would be no Freaking B12 and Bowlsby be would probably have some job staring at the saggy remains of the PAC conference. We will see, he (Bowlsby) may have opened his mouth one too many times.

Ohh BTW, True or not, the reports of OU - UT to the SEC are blowing up the interwebs .. it's either gonna happen for we will have new conference commissioner in about a week and FOX will suddenly come out with a new 11am kick off policy for Big 12 games.

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:19 pm by captnop

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:28 pm

This story broke in the Houston Chronicle and the reporter who broke it is the beat writer for T A&M. This is beyond speculation.

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:29 pm

We always look at things from our perspective (as fans) and I’m curious to read what the sec fans have to say. They always bashed us so now it will be interesting to see what they think having to play us every year. They might get cold feet lol.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:32 pm

Orangebloods is saying their UT Athletic sources says this is for real. Something happened in the last month or so to push this to a head. Wonder how many 11am kick offs UT has ?

Even Stranger ESPIN is like really, really downplaying this.

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:37 pm by captnop

soonerBAS
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:38 pm

I am guessing NIL is partly responsible for this, if you are going to stay at the top in this new era of paying players you will need every advantage possible to sell recruits on the chance to profit and the SEC should give them a chance to earn more than the Big12.

WishBone
DEPs

Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:41 pm

Believe me or not ....................Im telling you the 11:00 am kickoffs was the driving factor and $$$$.....it just so happens that TV contracts renewals are approaching

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:42 pm

...was just a matter of time!

Might be the  perfect fit.

:ou::ou:::rice::

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 10:57 pm by OU Chinaman

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:43 pm

That would definitely fit the time frame .. but there has to be more to this. Like I said now there is a 14 million difference in money .. thats going to almost double in 2024.

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:44 pm by captnop

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 09:59 pm

Cowpukes

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 10:05 pm

Timing is everything. Based on current 4 team playoff format we would have less chances to make it in. However, with likely expansion this move will allow us to be able to have as many chances. A super conference like this would be given more slots. That is one issue to iron out before we move, how will playoff committee work for 12 teams.

Something else, how does this work out for other sports like softball and basketball and gymnastics and many other top OU sports? Many questions but football drives it all due to $$$.

No doubt in my mind the remark about 11am start times from Bowsby was the final straw. He will be out of a job.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 10:14 pm

If it were JUST OU I would say it was a ploy to get rid of Bowlsby and limit 11am kick offs, HOWEVER with UT pushing it I think there is much more to it. though I'm pretty sure Joe C is flipping the bird to Bowlsby on the way out the door.

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 10:15 pm by captnop

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 10:54 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Something like this?

West:
OU
Texas
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss St

East:
Alabama
Auburn
Vandy
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Kentucky

——-

IMO, it’s more likely that KSU, ISU, TCU and Baylor would wind up in the American Athletic, Conference USA, or the WAC.

SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 11:17 pm

Just watched a YouTube video on this subject. A$M is vehemently opposed to Texas joining the SEC. They want to be the only SEC team in Texas. I guess they have been using the SEC as a recruiting tool that they would lose if UT (and OU for that matter) would join the SEC. A$M is expecting big things this year and don't want anything that threatens to push them back to mediocrity.

As for OKst, if the Big XII disintegrates, I believe they don't see an invite to a major conference and having to join the AAC or WAC would be a major blow to their over- inflated egos.

I see both Oklahoma and Texas State politics getting involved in a potential OU and UT move to the SEC.

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 11:21 pm by SwampSooner

WishBone
DEPs

Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 11:32 pm

Might actually help Pickens Boys.....as they might be able to start a Trophy Case if they land in the right conference?

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 11:33 pm by WishBone

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 21st, 2021 11:33 pm

The whole OU has to take OSU with them was a David Boren thing. I think if the money is there, and it is, I can't see the legislature getting involved .. Plus I think OSU gets a PAC invite ... The PAC is desperate! I think thats why this is happening. Apparently they looked at some kind of deal with WC teams and it's a dumpster fire. It's SEC or B1G. Given the way Nebraska has been treated .. then the SEC it is.

** News alert according to twitter PAC is already talking to OSU and apparently HAS been for a couple of weeks.

Last edited on Wed Jul 21st, 2021 11:36 pm by captnop

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 22nd, 2021 12:03 am

WishBone wrote:
Might actually help Pickens Boys.....as they might be able to start a Trophy Case if they land in the right conference?

Greg Swaim basically said something to that effect. Didn't say the trophy case part..

WarHog38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 22nd, 2021 12:41 am

captnop wrote: SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Something like this?

West:
OU
Texas
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss St

East:
Alabama
Auburn
Vandy
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Kentucky

——-

I'm not thrilled .. but that would better than playing Minnesota and Iowa in the B1G

Would anyone miss playing OSWho ?? I didn't think so.This future SEC Divisions Alignment with the additions of Oklahoma & Texas make by far the most logical sense.  However it will probably never be.   Missouri has been lodged misplaced in the SEC East for one single reason since Missouri's SEC entry.  Auburn needed to go to the SEC East to put Missouri in the SEC West.  Auburn always wanted to be in the East, no problem there.  However Alabama did not want Auburn in the East.  Alabama always demanded a yearly cross division game with Tennessee due to a very long standing rivalry.  Putting Auburn in the East with an 8 game SEC schedule would have required Alabama to have two yearly cross division games to keep the Iron Bowl a yearly occurrence.   That also would have put Alabama with an 8 game SEC schedule never playing Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky & Vanderbilt, unless in the SEC Championship Game.  None of the SEC head football coaches but Saban wanted to expand the SEC Schedule to 9 games. So Missouri went to the East to keep Alabama happy.

I don't think Alabama is going to the East this expansion round either.   Auburn will surely go East and the SEC schedule will surely be upped to 9 yearly games.  Alabama with just want to play SEC West teams and play Auburn in a yearly cross division game.  I don't know how Alabama will still yearly play Tennessee unless they go to a 10 game SEC Schedule.  I think one of the Mississippi schools will go East. That will no doubt upset the other Mississippi school.

I myself will not mind Oklahoma & Texas entering the SEC.  I liked a 12 team SEC however 16 beats 14.  I haven't heard anything about 4 team pods but they would work well with 16 teams.  The SEC went back to no division in basketball from being two divisions many years.  Maybe a divisions change in football.  The Conference Championship game picking strategy would have to change with 4 pods.  Interesting to see how all this goes.  The SEC is an Alabama conference with front offices in Birmingham.  Texas will not change that.  That will also be interesting as well to watch.

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 22nd, 2021 01:04 am

...good thread.   Everybody's hungry like the wolf.  Won't be long now. 

Like a bunch of sharks circling prey, the chinamen catch any morsel of information about their beloved SOONERS right out of the air with chop sticks.
The last 40 days before Fall Camp opens is always the longest wait. 

Look at all the great posts, adult, intelligent, humorous & sarcastic.

Going to be a great season.  Maybe an epic season.
Judging by this thread, the old ST MB is going to enjoy a great season too.

:ou::ou::ou:::rice:: 

K2C Sooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 22nd, 2021 01:05 am

Nice first post WarHog. I saw where you registered and figured you were a Razorback.:dude: My bad and I gave you a MANA {Green light bulb}. I hope you post often.

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 22nd, 2021 02:10 am

WarHog38 wrote:
captnop wrote: SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Something like this?

West:
OU
Texas
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss St

East:
Alabama
Auburn
Vandy
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Kentucky

——-

Would anyone miss playing OSWho ?? I didn't think so.This future SEC Divisions Alignment with the additions of Oklahoma & Texas make by far the most logical sense.  However it will probably never be.   Missouri has been lodged misplaced in the SEC East for one single reason since Missouri's SEC entry.  Auburn needed to go to the SEC East to put Missouri in the SEC West.  Auburn always wanted to be in the East, no problem there.  However Alabama did not want Auburn in the East.  Alabama always demanded a yearly cross division game with Tennessee due to a very long standing rivalry.  Putting Auburn in the East with an 8 game SEC schedule would have required Alabama to have two yearly cross division games to keep the Iron Bowl a yearly occurrence.   That also would have put Alabama with an 8 game SEC schedule never playing Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky & Vanderbilt, unless in the SEC Championship Game.  None of the SEC head football coaches but Saban wanted to expand the SEC Schedule to 9 games. So Missouri went to the East to keep Alabama happy.

I don't think Alabama is going to the East this expansion round either.   Auburn will surely go East and the SEC schedule will surely be upped to 9 yearly games.  Alabama with just want to play SEC West teams and play Auburn in a yearly cross division game.  I don't know how Alabama will still yearly play Tennessee unless they go to a 10 game SEC Schedule.  I think one of the Mississippi schools will go East. That will no doubt upset the other Mississippi school.

I myself will not mind Oklahoma & Texas entering the SEC.  I liked a 12 team SEC however 16 beats 14.  I haven't heard anything about 4 team pods but they would work well with 16 teams.  The SEC went back to no division in basketball from being two divisions many years.  Maybe a divisions change in football.  The Conference Championship game picking strategy would have to change with 4 pods.  Interesting to see how all this goes.  The SEC is an Alabama conference with front offices in Birmingham.  Texas will not change that.  That will also be interesting as well to watch.

Great post filled with some good insight and opinions too. I never thought about 4 team pods but that could work. Playing 8 conf games can play 3 in own pod yearly and rotate other 3 pods every 3rd year. Then have 1 game to play vs old rivalry. So if Texsa in other pod we still play them yearly. Would be interesting to sort out conf title game. Maybe with expanded playoffs just skip it?

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 22nd, 2021 02:39 am

Here’s a random thought. If we move along with Texsa, what if aTm and Mizzou moved either back to Big12 or to another conference? They do not want to be with Texsa and not sure how Mizzou likes arrangement but take OU out and other teams have a chance at easier path to playoffs.

Current time is 02:11 am
Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page