Print
AuthorPost
humblesooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 02:12 pm

I did some reading up on the NCAA exception for athletes due to the pandemic.
I mistakenly thought all players were eligible for an additional year of participation. Basically, we have heard that no one loses eligibility for 2020 fall season. That is not accurate.
What I found is the athletes are now allowed 6 years to play 4 years. This is as opposed to 5 years to play 4 normally. No additional participation, but an extra year to get the 4 years of participation, if needed.
Basically, it was intended to allow players to opt out this year and not lose the ability to participate 4 years, if they had already red-shirted.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 09:49 pm

Ok ... thank you !! so like Brooks and Redmond will have an extra year to play their four years, but if a player played their 4th year this season.. then they are done.

Gandalf
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: You shall not pass!
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 10:06 pm

humblesooner wrote:
I did some reading up on the NCAA exception for athletes due to the pandemic.
I mistakenly thought all players were eligible for an additional year of participation. Basically, we have heard that no one loses eligibility for 2020 fall season. That is not accurate.
What I found is the athletes are now allowed 6 years to play 4 years. This is as opposed to 5 years to play 4 normally. No additional participation, but an extra year to get the 4 years of participation, if needed.
Basically, it was intended to allow players to opt out this year and not lose the ability to participate 4 years, if they had already red-shirted.

That is a surprise. So basically, it is a redshirt and if you played more than four games, it counts as a full year?

47Straight
DEPs

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '21 - “stayin positive and testin negative”
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 11:00 pm

humblesooner wrote: I did some reading up on the NCAA exception for athletes due to the pandemic.
I'm not sure that this is correct. All the talk in the media acts like Sam Ehliger could play another year if he chooses and he has already played 4 years. Here's a link to an tOSU player who may do that.  I think that the 2020 year does not count against you elgibility - period.

SoonerMike

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 11:16 pm

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

Traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. This means, NCAA student-athletes can compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season, but it won’t be counted against their years of eligibility depending on their division level specific eligibility rules.

Clear as mud isn't it. The web link has more information and it sounds like the 20/21 year counts as non participation even if they played.

Triple Option
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 11:18 pm

Straight from the horse's mouth - or at least, from some orifice at one end or the other:

"Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic."

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-extends-eligibility-winter-sport-student-athletes

Serenity Now

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 6th, 2021 03:02 pm

I've got a Jr. in high school who hopes to play some small college softball. This is creating a glut in sports that have limited scholarships as it is. This year's high school seniors are really impacted.

JohnDa5id

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 7th, 2021 07:04 pm

captnop wrote:
Ok ... thank you !! so like Brooks and Redmond will have an extra year to play their four years, but if a player played their 4th year this season.. then they are done.
So how is it that the 4-year-starter Texas QB faced a "decision" whether to return for next year?

Or maybe I just feel like he was a 4 year starter?

humblesooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 7th, 2021 11:30 pm

JohnDa5id wrote:
captnop wrote:
So how is it that the 4-year-starter Texas QB faced a "decision" whether to return for next year?

Or maybe I just feel like he was a 4 year starter?

Looks like my original post was not exactly correct.
Below is copied from ncsasports.org (looks close to ncaasports). The first paragraph is where I got that they now have 6 years to play 4. That is exactly what is says.
But when you go to paragraph 2, it states that they have 5 years to play 4. After the 5th year, they have the option to play a 5th year.
Just so you guys don't think I am crazy, I copied what I was reading.
It looks like it is really that any participation in 2020-2021 does not count against eligibility.

See:

Traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. This means, NCAA student-athletes can compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season, but it won’t be counted against their years of eligibility depending on their division level specific eligibility rules.

For example, a D1 freshman athlete, whether they compete in the 2020-21 competition season or not, is eligible for an extra year of competition. Starting their sophomore year, this athlete competes in 100% of the season through senior year. After their senior season, this athlete’s eligibility count is 3 years and they decide to enroll as a fifth-year senior to compete in their fourth collegiate season. Upon the completion of their fourth competition season, this athlete has the option to compete for one final season, a fifth year, because the NCAA D1 had granted all 2020-21 athletes an extra year of eligibility. If this athlete returns for a fifth year, they will have been a member of the team and eligible to receive financial aid for six year, because their first year of competition didn’t count against their years eligibility.

Last edited on Thu Jan 7th, 2021 11:31 pm by humblesooner

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 14th, 2021 06:04 pm

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
With the NCAA granting a fifth year of college football eligibility, the NFL informed clubs this morning that players who have completed four years must notify the league by March 1 if they intend to forego the 2021 NFL Draft and return to college, per sources.
10:39 AM · Jan 14, 2021·

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1h
Replying to
@TomPelissero
Here’s more from the memo, which also stipulates any player who “opted out” or received a redshirt year in 2020 still has that count as a fourth year towards draft eligibility. The deadline for underclassmen to petition for special eligibility for the 2021 draft is Monday.

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1h
One other key passage from the memo covers the possibility a player is drafted and then returns to college, allowing the NFL team to retain his rights. Last year, the NCAA granted Arizona State punter Michael Turk a special waiver to return to school after he went undrafted.

humblesooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2021 03:14 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
With the NCAA granting a fifth year of college football eligibility, the NFL informed clubs this morning that players who have completed four years must notify the league by March 1 if they intend to forego the 2021 NFL Draft and return to college, per sources.

This is rich.
The player must notify the NFL if they decide they do NOT to want to be drafted and will return to school?
The NFL does nothing to assist college athletes while they are in school and expects the amateurs to assure the NFL doesn't get hurt by a drafted player returning for a 5th year of participation.
And what if they don't notify the NFL not to draft them?
I guess the NFL will fall back on their normal punishment and fine them. LOL

Last edited on Fri Jan 15th, 2021 03:15 pm by humblesooner

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2021 03:25 pm

humblesooner wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

This is rich.
The player must notify the NFL if they decide they do NOT to want to be drafted and will return to school?
The NFL does nothing to assist college athletes while they are in school and expects the amateurs to assure the NFL doesn't get hurt by a drafted player returning for a 5th year of participation.
And what if they don't notify the NFL not to draft them?
I guess the NFL will fall back on their normal punishment and fine them. LOL

I've never been an NFL fan I follow former players like Baker and so on.. I'm getting to point that I might not even watch that .. Tired of the NFL and their crap!

ohiosooner#1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2021 08:16 pm

I have watched one NFL game in 3 PLUS years. I swore I would never watch another game. I have not missed it at all. Being completely honest I did watch last Sunday's Browns/Steelers last 3 quarters when I learned the Brown's got off to an earlier lead from a friend.

I will now return to not watching. Frankly I find NFL football a boring brand of football so it was not, has not been that difficult.

And the most boring sport of all is NBA basketball it has been easy not watching that dull game. Frankly I don't feel like I have given up anything.

The professionals took a knee and symbolically I took one as well.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2021 10:12 pm

I watched the last half of the Pittsburg Cleveland playoff game. Usually I just hit espn and look at box scores and watch highlights of Baker, Kyler, CeeDee, Shep, Jalen etc ... Thats probably the most NFL I've watched in 2+ years! If the NFL went away tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me!

humblesooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2021 10:35 pm

captnop wrote:
I watched the last half of the Pittsburg Cleveland playoff game. Usually I just hit espn and look at box scores and watch highlights of Baker, Kyler, CeeDee, Shep, Jalen etc ... Thats probably the most NFL I've watched in 2+ years! If the NFL went away tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me!

I don't give ESPN that much viewership.
I want to check scores, I use the internet and my phone.

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2021 02:10 am

humblesooner wrote:
captnop wrote:

I don't give ESPN that much viewership.
I want to check scores, I use the internet and my phone.

Me too. No clicks for big sites.

Current time is 10:58 pm