Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > '03 and '08 Title Games rewatch

'03 and '08 Title Games rewatch
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
JoeSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: I make big plays in big games, that's all - ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 03:42 am

Why I tortured myself this way, I don't know, but I rewatched the OU-LSU and OU-Florida title game matchups. Naturally I did not continue to the USC debacle, which I'm sure I can never watch again.

'04 Sugar Bowl - Good lord, poor Jason was so limited by his knees. I always thought they did such a great job of keeping him untouched through Big 12 play, he wasn't used to any kind of pressure. And their offense was relying on a bunch of double-move routes downfield and LSU gave them no time for that. That LSU defense gave them no room, and as much as I loved Jason, lots of happy feet and just slinging the ball. Pretty sure he was dealing with a wrist injury too. Lots of defensive talent for us, good lord. And somehow we had a great chance of winning that game, and good lord, never should have stopped running the ball. Still kills me.

'09 Orange Bowl - Bradford was so good that year. Chris Brown played great, Demarco could have made the difference. Gresham was great. And I forgot how painful it was being stopped at the goal line, and inside the 5 another time, coming away with no points, twice. Evenly matched teams. We had a beast of an O-line, defense starting to show decline in talent, and honestly, coaching staff mismatch. The damn Meerkat offense, after rolling in no-huddle most of the year. Florida made plays on their last drive, but this game was so winnable.

How things change if we win either of those I have no idea, but they were interesting to watch again. Thoughts?

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 04:25 am

JoeSooner wrote:
Why I tortured myself this way, I don't know, but I rewatched the OU-LSU and OU-Florida title game matchups. Naturally I did not continue to the USC debacle, which I'm sure I can never watch again.

'04 Sugar Bowl - Good lord, poor Jason was so limited by his knees. I always thought they did such a great job of keeping him untouched through Big 12 play, he wasn't used to any kind of pressure. And their offense was relying on a bunch of double-move routes downfield and LSU gave them no time for that. That LSU defense gave them no room, and as much as I loved Jason, lots of happy feet and just slinging the ball. Pretty sure he was dealing with a wrist injury too. Lots of defensive talent for us, good lord. And somehow we had a great chance of winning that game, and good lord, never should have stopped running the ball. Still kills me.

'09 Orange Bowl - Bradford was so good that year. Chris Brown played great, Demarco could have made the difference. Gresham was great. And I forgot how painful it was being stopped at the goal line, and inside the 5 another time, coming away with no points, twice. Evenly matched teams. We had a beast of an O-line, defense starting to show decline in talent, and honestly, coaching staff mismatch. The damn Meerkat offense, after rolling in no-huddle most of the year. Florida made plays on their last drive, but this game was so winnable.

How things change if we win either of those I have no idea, but they were interesting to watch again. Thoughts?

That's pretty much how I remember it (I have no memory of this USC game you speak of). Just wanted to chime in and say Wilson's so called no-huddle was never truly a hurry up offense. Even before that game. Though it could be used in hurry up and often was. That wasn't the main intent. It was always intended to line up quickly in the same personnel as the last play so not to allow the other team to substitute for situation. Players that could play multiple positions well, like Murry and Gresham, is what made it work. But yeah, they'd hurry back to the line and line up and set, and look at the sideline for the play call (the meerkat look), and then run the play. Even before that game.

Loosing Murry REALLY hurt. Not just because he was a really good runny back but also because he was a really good receiver. It effected OU's ability to run multiple sets with the same personnel which was what made OU's offense so lethal. I'm sure it also led to a bit longer 'stair at the sideline' moments too as coaches tried to find the right call.

Last edited on Mon Jan 4th, 2021 04:26 am by tbmguy

JoeSooner

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 04:33 am

tbmguy wrote:
JoeSooner wrote:

That's pretty much how I remember it (I have no memory of this USC game you speak of). Just wanted to chime in and say Wilson's so called no-huddle was never truly a hurry up offense. Even before that game. Though it could be used in hurry up and often was. That wasn't the main intent. It was always intended to line up quickly in the same personnel as the last play so not to allow the other team to substitute for situation. Players that could play multiple positions well, like Murry and Gresham, is what made it work. But yeah, they'd hurry back to the line and line up and set, and look at the sideline for the play call (the meerkat look), and then run the play. Even before that game.

Loosing Murry REALLY hurt. Not just because he was a really good runny back but also because he was a really good receiver. It effected OU's ability to run multiple sets with the same personnel which was what made OU's offense so lethal. I'm sure it also led to a bit longer 'stair at the sideline' moments too as coaches tried to find the right call.

You're probably right, I do know they weren't true no-huddle but ran plays much faster typically than they did in that game. Check with the sideline, set up for a play, then stop and check again. Over-coaching IMHO, they played best when playing fast.

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 04:37 am

JoeSooner wrote:
they played best when playing fast.

I don't disagree with that. But losing Murry effected their ability to play fast well.

Last edited on Mon Jan 4th, 2021 04:38 am by tbmguy

UtahSooner83
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 04:55 am

USC? What is this USC you speak of?

Triple Option
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 05:21 am

The Ryan Reynolds/Austin Box/Nic Haris/Mike Balogun injury merry-go-round at middle linebacker during that 2008 season didn't help any either.

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 07:47 am

UtahSooner83 wrote: USC? What is this USC you speak of?...2005 ORANGE BOWL.  Both teams 12-0, USC was favored by 1 pt.

It was a rape & murder by the Trojans, 55-19!
I've always believed that game adversely impacted the OKLAHOMA program for years!

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 05:31 pm

JoeSooner wrote:
Chris Brown played great, Demarco could have made the difference.

I don't think Brown was "great" - he was a solid, dependable player, but just was not the difference maker Murray was. Murray would have made the difference. There's no way we come away twice down by the goal line without points had Murray been there. Defenses keyed on him - they didn't do that with Brown, and Murray's lack of presence was the difference in that game.

JoeSooner

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 06:42 pm

SoonerinDallas wrote:
JoeSooner wrote:

I don't think Brown was "great" - he was a solid, dependable player, but just was not the difference maker Murray was. Murray would have made the difference. There's no way we come away twice down by the goal line without points had Murray been there. Defenses keyed on him - they didn't do that with Brown, and Murray's lack of presence was the difference in that game.

That was my meaning, he "played great" i.e. as good as he could play in that game, certainly wasn't implying he was a great player. My memory's fuzzy on which injury that was for Murray. Was that the one that came on a meaningless kickoff return?

ClintA.Adams
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 06:43 pm

Murray was a 3 time pro bowler, Brown was not. It's not speculation that OU wins that game with Murray; it's common sense.

Gandalf
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: You shall not pass!
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 07:19 pm

What is this USC game that is mentioned? I have no recollection of that event. ;)

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 08:58 pm

JoeSooner wrote:
SoonerinDallas wrote:
JoeSooner wrote:

That was my meaning, he "played great" i.e. as good as he could play in that game, certainly wasn't implying he was a great player. My memory's fuzzy on which injury that was for Murray. Was that the one that came on a meaningless kickoff return?

Ok- thanks for the explanation. Yes, if memory serves, Murray was hurt on a kickoff return. Grrrrr. He would have been the difference maker against Florida.

Current time is 06:54 am