AuthorPost
Gandalf
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: You shall not pass!
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 12:18 am

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Crazy how many are going go portal. I only post some but wow its crazy the numbers doing it.
Here is a question for the group, are there that many schools with openings to accept these players that want to move?

K2C Sooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 12:41 am

Gandalf wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Crazy how many are going go portal. I only post some but wow its crazy the numbers doing it.
Here is a question for the group, are there that many schools with openings to accept these players that want to move?

Not to division one, that's for sure. SVT posted a list of all the Q-B's transferring and it was like 50 or so. Only 120+ NCAA schools. Many will have to go to a smaller division or Juco, but then you have to wonder what those schools offer as far as scholarships.

soonerBAS
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 12:58 am

Didn't see Rambo's name listed

K2C Sooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 01:09 am

soonerBAS wrote:

It just happened today.

Triple Option
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 01:11 am

I think the extra year of eligibility due to covid is going to affect a lot things this year, with the portal being one of the things affected most. At least some guys will be staying around a year longer than they would have, or look for an opportunity to get on the field somewhere with that extra year. So there won't be as many openings as usual. Plus, there will be more guys who will already have their degrees that have a year of eligibility left and will be looking around for opportunities as a grad transfer, hoping for one last chance to impress NFL scouts. So it may mean fewer freshmen get scholarships. But probably it will mostly mean a lot of guys from D1 going to smaller schools, and therefore fewer spots available for guys who otherwise would have played at those smaller schools.

Could also mean a little bigger and more widely dispersed talent pool for a year or two, and more upsets as a result.

Last edited on Tue Jan 5th, 2021 01:14 am by Triple Option

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 01:12 am

soonerBAS wrote:

I posted about 3 posts back on page 1

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 01:18 am

K2C Sooner wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:

Not to division one, that's for sure. SVT posted a list of all the Q-B's transferring and it was like 50 or so. Only 120+ NCAA schools. Many will have to go to a smaller division or Juco, but then you have to wonder what those schools offer as far as scholarships.

Its like musical chairs someone is gonna be left standing. Ncaa needed to increase roster sizes to account for extra year imo.

Its a gamble. The challenge getting someone is twofold. Do they want to come here. And why are they leaving. Attitude or other issues with coach? Not enough playing time and why? Injury put then back if line? So many reasons and its important to know why. They may not start here either coaches have to walk a fine line for future recruiting if portal players get bumped to head of line will not send good signal to recruits possible. Its a mine field to navigate. But it makes off season funner like a FA period.

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 01:33 am

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:

Its like musical chairs someone is gonna be left standing. Ncaa needed to increase roster sizes to account for extra year imo.

I’m pretty sure they did. Those coming back who normally couldn’t don’t count against the 85. Also, if 100 players enter the portal, how are there not 100 open spots? Fuzzy math.

AllSooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:05 am

The best portal "musical chairs" action this year goes to tOSU.......Mr Sermon!  tOSU wouldn't be where they are without him.
Last year it was us........Mr Hurts!

Last edited on Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:07 am by AllSooner

gcruse7

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:22 am

Johnnytrey23 wrote:
Also, if 100 players enter the portal, how are there not 100 open spots? Fuzzy math.

Actually the math is not fuzzy at all. Per NCAA rules, schools can sign 25 scholarship players a year to a 4 year scholarship, but they also allow players to redshirt and stay on scholarship, essentially having 5 years to play 4. Thus is a school signed a full class every year, and all of their players redshirted their freshmen year, they would theoretically have 125 players on scholarship. Even without redshirting anyone, there would still be 100 players on scholarship. The kicker is that the NCAA only allows 85 scholarship players total per team.

So a team either signs less than a full class, redshirts fewer players, or loses players to attrition, which can be to injury or by "suggesting" a player might want to transfer.

Having the portal to make it easier to transfer just helps the teams that have no trouble attracting a full scholarship class every year. They can roll the dice on unproven potential, and then if the don't pan out, pull their scholarship when they enter the portal and go through the process yet again with a new set of potential.

If a school has a hard time signing a full scholarship class, the portal will be an opportunity to add players, but there will always be more players in the portal than spots for them.

Last edited on Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:23 am by gcruse7

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:29 am

gcruse7 wrote:
Johnnytrey23 wrote:
Also, if 100 players enter the portal, how are there not 100 open spots? Fuzzy math.

Actually the math is not fuzzy at all. Per NCAA rules, schools can sign 25 scholarship players a year to a 4 year scholarship, but they also allow players to redshirt and stay on scholarship, essentially having 5 years to play 4. Thus is a school signed a full class every year, and all of their players redshirted their freshmen year, they would theoretically have 125 players on scholarship. Even without redshirting anyone, there would still be 100 players on scholarship. The kicker is that the NCAA only allows 85 scholarship players total per team.

So a team either signs less than a full class, redshirts fewer players, or loses players to attrition, which can be to injury or by "suggesting" a player might want to transfer.

Having the portal to make it easier to transfer just helps the teams that have no trouble attracting a full scholarship class every year. They can roll the dice on unproven potential, and then if the don't pan out, pull their scholarship when they enter the portal and go through the process yet again with a new set of potential.

If a school has a hard time signing a full scholarship class, the portal will be an opportunity to add players, but there will always be more players in the portal than spots for them.

Well the fuzzy math I was referring to wasn’t yours. It’s how some schools do exactly what you said. The part I don’t understand because maybe it’s too simplistic, is if 100 scholarship players leave schools, how are there not 100 spots open?

Last edited on Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:30 am by Johnnytrey23

K2C Sooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:31 am

AllSooner wrote:
The best portal "musical chairs" action this year goes to tOSU.......Mr Sermon!  tOSU wouldn't be where they are without him.

Technically they were grad transfers...but I get your point. I can't think of any other transfers in the last couple of years that had an effect like those two.

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:35 am

K2C Sooner wrote:
AllSooner wrote:

Technically they were grad transfers...but I get your point. I can't think of any other transfers in the last couple of years that had an effect like those two.

Isn’t the tosu qb a transfer? And lsu qb last year?

Last edited on Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:36 am by Johnnytrey23

K2C Sooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:47 am

Johnnytrey23 wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:
AllSooner wrote:

Fields transferred from Georgia. I'm not sure if he had to sit a tear or not, which would have made him a regular transfer, not a portal. Burrows from LSU was a grad transfer from tOSU if I'm correct.

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:51 am

K2C Sooner wrote:
Johnnytrey23 wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:
AllSooner wrote:

Fields transferred from Georgia. I'm not sure if he had to sit a tear or not, which would have made him a regular transfer, not a portal. Burrows from LSU was a grad transfer from tOSU if I'm correct.

Fields did not have to sit if I recall. Something about racist comments from the stands. I could be wrong. Either way, they still entered the portal.

Also, I’m not sure how we messed up the reply function. If it was me I’m sorry.

Last edited on Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:56 am by Johnnytrey23

K2C Sooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 03:03 am

Johnnytrey23 wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:
Johnnytrey23 wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:
AllSooner wrote:

Fields did not have to sit if I recall. Something about racist comments from the stands. I could be wrong. Either way, they still entered the portal.

I think you're right about Fields not sitting out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this season the first year of "portal"? I think you either had to do a regular transfer or grad last year. Granted some were waivered for circumstances. (Racial comments, allergies, closer to home, etc)

While were are on this subject, can anyone think of any other transfers over the past couple of years other than the aforementioned? I can't think of a single defensive player.

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 03:07 am

I’m replying instead of quoting because it looks funny as is. I thought this was year two for the portal. Again, could be wrong. The portal is no different than transferring, though. I’m pretty sure OU had to graduates enter the portal. It just makes it public and open. And no, I can think of no major defensive transfers.

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 03:56 am

About the numbers someone suggested 100 openings means 100 seats. But, if a team losing someone decides not to fill that spot from portal rather they want to save it for regular recruitment that means 1 less portal seat available. So you end up with more in portal than open seats. Its up to school how to use the open slot. They might decide to give it to walk on too, since some schools are all full that year and need to open a slot for that reason.

Thus the 100/100 is not gonna math out

WishBone
DEPs

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 12:42 pm

K2C Sooner:can't think of any other transfers in the last couple of years that had an effect like those two.

Say : Justin Fields?

AllSooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 01:58 pm

While I can't disagree with Borrows and Fields transfers being great transfers, they both had one year with the team before their respective teams made it to the CFP in their second year.  Hurts and Sermon transferred in and made it to the CFP in the year they transferred.  Hurts would be the deciding factor for OU making it in 2019 and Sermon for tOSU in 2020.  You can argue that tOSU might have made it in 2020 without Sermon, but I don't think OU would have without Hurts.  That's what made those two transfers very special to me.

Last edited on Tue Jan 5th, 2021 02:01 pm by AllSooner

gcruse7

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 03:22 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
About the numbers someone suggested 100 openings means 100 seats. But, if a team losing someone decides not to fill that spot from portal rather they want to save it for regular recruitment that means 1 less portal seat available. So you end up with more in portal than open seats. Its up to school how to use the open slot. They might decide to give it to walk on too, since some schools are all full that year and need to open a slot for that reason.

You said what I was trying to say about the numbers in much fewer words. Well done!

Sooner42
DEPs

Country of Origin: ‘Merika
Signature: SOONER4LIFE
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 03:27 pm

Big 12 you have to sit out a year unless you are a senior. (Austin Kendall had two years as a senior, Baker was a walk-on this rule change after his deal)so there have been one offs.

(yahoo)The SEC has a policy that requires undergraduate transfers to have two seasons of competition remaining: “A student-athlete who, upon enrollment at the certifying institution, has less than 2 years of eligibility remaining shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition at a member institution until the student has fulfilled a residence requirement of one full academic year.”

I think the way I'm reading this is- a player has 2 years left (so 2 years played) can transfer without having to sit out a year. If no on the 2 years they have to sit out 1 before they can play the how many they have minus the year they have to sit out.

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 06:15 pm

Austin Kendall is back in the portal again, FYI...

soonerBAS
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 09:17 pm

the tight end from LSU Gilbert had announced he was going to enter the portal but it became official today he is now in the portal. you see OU's name mentioned on different sites, Tenn on others but Georgia comes up most often.

seeing some new running backs being sucked into the portal, offensive linemen ... there is a chance to fill some needs if we could get a couple of these guys.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 09:35 pm

Remember we picked up Wease and an OL via portal .. both from UCLA I think

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 09:59 pm

soonerBAS wrote:
the tight end from LSU Gilbert had announced he was going to enter the portal but it became official today he is now in the portal. you see OU's name mentioned on different sites, Tenn on others but Georgia comes up most often.

seeing some new running backs being sucked into the portal, offensive linemen ... there is a chance to fill some needs if we could get a couple of these guys.

Yup

NCAA Transfer Portal
@RivalsPortal
·
1h
After recently announcing his intentions, 2020 5-star TE Arik Gilbert has officially entered the transfer portal; in 8 games this fall he had 35 rec for 368 yards and 2 TD at LSU #GeauxTigers
@rivalsmike@RivalsWoody@JimmyDetail

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 10:05 pm

OU so far:

Transfer portal post-Big12 CG

- QB Tanner Mordecai (SMU)

- RB T.J. Pledger

- K Stephen Johnson (walk-on)

- WR Finn Corwin (walk-on)

- WR/TE Jalin Conyers (ASU)

- QB Chandler Morris (TCU)

- LB/S Robert Barnes

- DE/LB Jon-Michael Terry

- TE Dane Saltarelli (walk-on)

- WR Charleston Rambo

NFL Draft

- CB Tre Brown

- C Creed Humphrey

- NB/S Tre Norwood

- OT Adrian Ealy

WishBone
DEPs

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 10:19 pm

Catnop

We picked up Theo Howard from UCLA in the Portal....Theo Wease came in as a 5* recruit with Hazelwood and Bridges.

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 10:31 pm

gcruse7 wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:

You said what I was trying to say about the numbers in much fewer words. Well done!

I get what you guys are saying now. Basically, 100 portal guys leave and there are 100 spots but not necessarily for portal incoming. I get it, makes sense. All I’m saying is there are x number of spots at fbs teams. That number may change a little this year, but, mostly, it’s constant. There are no less or more players trying to get each of those spots. That hasn’t changed at all. If they weren’t good enough at one school, maybe they will be at another. I don’t see the problem.

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2021 10:33 pm

Johnnytrey23 wrote:
gcruse7 wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:

I get what you guys are saying now. Basically, 100 portal guys leave and there are 100 spots but not necessarily for portal incoming. I get it, makes sense. All I’m saying is there are x number of spots at fbs teams. That number may change a little this year, but, mostly, it’s constant. There are no less or more players trying to get each of those spots. That hasn’t changed at all. If they weren’t good enough at one school, maybe they will be at another. I don’t see the problem.

Side note: I heard a couple of years ago that Kansas had like twelve scholarship players, exaggerating, they could take the bulk of the portal and maybe be competitive. Maybe.

Current time is 01:34 pm
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page