Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > Music/Videos/Movies/Books > For Lee Child/Jack Reacher Fans

For Lee Child/Jack Reacher Fans
 Moderated by: sybil  

Print
AuthorPost
BlackwellSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 22nd, 2020 11:14 pm

I have been a long-time fan of the Jack Reacher books authored by Lee Child.  My fandom, however, based on what I have read after struggling through the first two chapters, is likely to come to an end. 

Lee Child (now 66 years old), has apparently decided to quit writing Reacher books and concentrate on a new Reacher series on Amazon, (starring Alan Ritchson), in the meantime handing off the writing of the book(s) to his much younger brother Andrew (neither Lee or Andrew's last name is Child, BTW, it's Grant, just a FYI).
As far as I am concerned, after reading two chapters, I am probably finished with Reacher books.  LOVED the early books, but this latest book really sucks, IMO.
I'll probably force myself to read further, but am not optimistic, both from what I've read so far and also from what I have read of other reader's reviews of The Sentinel.
I thought that Lee Child had betrayed his fan base when he sold out for $$$ to agree to allow Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher in the movie Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. 
The decision to cast Cruise, all of 5'8" as the 6'5" Reacher was so ludicrous to me that I still have not watched the movie, and that's been 3 some years ago.  Apparently, (from what I have read) the character Alan Ritchson portraying Reacher in the Amazon series is at least credible from a physical standpoint.
Just a heads-up to the rest of the Reacher fans...

crimson jonze

Country of Origin: Patagonia
Signature: You see what happens, Larry?
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 10th, 2021 10:08 pm

I’m a little late to the party on your post but thought I’d put in my two cents worth. I have the latest Lee Child on reserve at the library and I’ve been wondering how it will transition to a new author.

Lee Child once replied to critics of little Tommy Cruise as big ol’ Jack Reacher that he sold the movie rights without being aware it was a Cruise production company. That may be but, like you, I refused to watch the movie when it came out and still won’t. It just makes the story meaningless.

Thanks for the heads up on the new book. I should get the book before too much longer and now I’m eager to see what’s happening with Reacher.

“Reacher said nothing.” 😁

Walt
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Feb 20th, 2021 02:59 pm

crimson jonze wrote:
I’m a little late to the party on your post but thought I’d put in my two cents worth. I have the latest Lee Child on reserve at the library and I’ve been wondering how it will transition to a new author.

Lee Child once replied to critics of little Tommy Cruise as big ol’ Jack Reacher that he sold the movie rights without being aware it was a Cruise production company. That may be but, like you, I refused to watch the movie when it came out and still won’t. It just makes the story meaningless.

Thanks for the heads up on the new book. I should get the book before too much longer and now I’m eager to see what’s happening with Reacher.

“Reacher said nothing.” 😁

That bugged me big time. Like everyone else, Cruise just isn't Jack Reacher. However, that is the way most movies off of books never live up to the book. I can understand that no movie can ever match the book. To do so would require hours of film to create the whole of the book, just impossible, so they have to leave out much of the original book storyline.

I think it is natural that after writing 30 to 40 books based on a single character writers tend to fail as the number of books creeps up to the high numbers. I think it is natural that Lee Child's quality has dropped off.

Like many of his fans have lost their zeal to read them. I have and I know many others have as well.

Michael Connelly is my standard of continuing quality in the storylines of his books. The difference between Connelly and Child is that Connelly has worked a large number of quality characters in his books. So, over the long haul, he has been very good at supplementing the "Bosch" series with other books bases on other characters. Child, just never added any diversity of characters in his book.

Connelly had his "Bosch" series for about six years. Now he is working on the "Lincoln Lawyer" series that should come sometime not too far in the future.

I have all of the Connelly books and have read through every book of his three times over the years. I get as much fun in re-reading his books.

To me, Connelly is the best crime, legal type books. I have others that I like, but Michael Connelly is at the top, at least for me.

BlackwellSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Feb 21st, 2021 04:58 pm

Totally agree with your take on Michael Connelly's books, Walt.  Bosch is still my favorite character in the Bosch series, but I like Mickey Haller also in the Lincoln Lawyer series.  Rene Ballard is also a good series.

Connelly is far and away the best in crime fiction, IMHO.  I look forward eagerly to each new release, regardless of which series it is.

47Straight
DEPs

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '21 - “stayin positive and testin negative”
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 22nd, 2021 01:15 am

BlackwellSooner wrote: Totally agree with your take on Michael Connelly's books, Walt.  Bosch is still my favorite character in the Bosch series, but I like Mickey Haller also in the Lincoln Lawyer series.  Rene Ballard is also a good series.

Connelly is far and away the best in crime fiction, IMHO.  I look forward eagerly to each new release, regardless of which series it is.
The Bosch series on Amazon Prime is good.

Current time is 05:43 pm