Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Final thoughts after the Sooners’ 62-9 win Saturday against Kansas.

Final thoughts after the Sooners’ 62-9 win Saturday against Kansas.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
47Straight
DEPs

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '21 - “stayin positive and testin negative”
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 01:55 pm

What do you call a person who's happy on a Monday?

Unemployed.

:toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast:

Final thoughts after the Sooners’ 62-9 win Saturday against Kansas.

1. On Rattler’s 2-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter, Kansas safety Ricky Thomas hit him hard in the end zone on his left hip. Rattler tried to stay in the game, but it became apparent that his hip was affecting his throwing motion. He briefly left for part of the next series before returning and playing into the third quarter.

Rattler’s hips are essential to his passing ability. It’s where he generates most of the power that makes his wrist flick appear so effortless. Rattler was pretty clearly in some degree of pain, and even the TV commentators were questioning why coach Lincoln Riley didn’t pull him from the game sooner than he did. Rattler said afterward that it was just a bruise but that he was playing at 50 percent.

“He was ready to play,” Riley said. “He relies on me for those decisions. As long as I knew he was physically able and feeling fine, ready to play, which he certainly was, at that point it didn’t become about the injury. I would have pulled him out at the exact same time I did had he not gotten hit and been a little bit sore. He was feeling good enough at that point. It was a non-factor.”

2. Riley said on his Sunday coaches show that both Rattler and H-back Austin Stogner will be fine. Stogner suffered an injury after taking a hard hit across the middle on a 22-yard reception late in the second quarter. He went to the locker room and spent the second half on the sideline in street clothes. Stogner has been one of Rattler’s most reliable targets all season, so it’s important that his injury appears to be minor.

3. Another H-back will apparently be back for Bedlam against Oklahoma State on Nov. 21. That is according to a tweet from Brayden Willis himself. Willis hasn’t played since the Sept. 26 loss to Kansas State because of an unspecified injury.

4. Rhamondre Stevenson has been so good the past two weeks that it begs the question if he should have been the No. 1 back last season. That isn’t meant to take anything away from Kennedy Brooks or Trey Sermon — both of whom did a lot of good things the past couple of years. Stevenson is powerful and doesn’t lose yards. He automatically has seemed to make everyone around him better. He’s a good receiver, as evidenced by his four catches — one of which was one-handed — for 60 yards. Of course, it’s very easy to say that today, as Brooks is sitting out the season and Sermon is somewhere else. It’s also possible that Stevenson has just gotten a whole lot better over the past 11 months. “I really pride myself in that,” Stevenson said when asked about never getting brought down by the first defender. “You have to make the first person miss, whether you break the tackle or juke and make them miss. You can never let the first person tackle you.”

5. Former five-star wide receiver Jadon Haselwood returned to action against Kansas after missing the first six games of the season. Haselwood tore his ACL in the spring. He made only one reception — a 33-yard grab in the fourth quarter from backup quarterback Tanner Mordecai — but getting him back could be huge for the stretch run. Haselwood, Theo Wease and Marvin Mims give the Sooners three wide receivers with legitimate star potential. It does raise the question, though, of Charleston Rambo, who was targeted seven times against Kansas but caught only two passes. Rambo has been ineffective most of this season. He hasn’t caught more than two passes in any game since the Oct. 3 loss to Iowa State.

6. Oklahoma’s pass rush this season is as good as it’s been in years. Rush linebacker Nik Bonitto — with his three sacks — proved virtually unblockable against Kansas. Ronnie Perkins is making a huge difference in his two games back. The Sooners tied a program record with nine sacks Saturday. “It’s a good feeling, but it also brings along a lot of friendly competition,” Perkins said. “It practically became a race to the quarterback. We fighting each other for TFLs.”

7. Oklahoma has 26 sacks through seven games. Last season, OU had 36 in 14 games. On Saturday, the Sooners limited Kansas to 3-of-19 on third-down conversions. It was a dominant defensive performance.

8. The pressure up front seemed to help on the back end. Not getting any help from the front seven has been a common defense of the secondary in recent years. And that was largely true, as OU hasn’t had a truly dominant defensive line in many years.

9. Perrion Winfrey is enigmatic. He’s arguably the most disruptive, powerful OU nose guard since Gerald McCoy. But he also didn’t play in the first quarter against Kansas. This follows games he didn’t start against Missouri State and Kansas State. On Saturday, he played the first play of the second quarter. Winfrey has also not yet been made available for interviews. Winfrey’s fellow 2020 juco transfer, Josh Ellison, started the game at nose guard.

10. After only two takeaways in the first three games, Oklahoma’s defense has forced eight in the past four. That puts the Sooners’ takeaway total for the season at 10, so through seven games, OU is just one short of the 11 —  the fewest in program history — with which it finished both the 2018 and 2019 seasons. Tre Brown and Bookie Radley-Hiles each picked off passes against Kansas in the first quarter Saturday.

11. Radley-Hiles’ interception was a little confusing, as he fumbled it away because an out-of-bounds Kansas player knocked it loose. There is no rule that prohibits a player who has stepped out of bounds from causing a fumble. “They were very clear that you can cause a fumble, even if you are out of bounds,” Riley said. “Now, if your hand was to stay on the ball long term or anything like that, then it wouldn’t. But if it’s just one single action, and the ball’s knocked out. … I don’t know the rule. I fully admit it. I can’t ever remember seeing that happen. But our officials on the sideline communicated well. And they were very, very sure of their decision.”

12. One quick disclaimer to all of this: Kansas is a bad football team. That addendum could be added to just about any of these final thoughts.

13. But consider this: Oklahoma hasn’t beaten the doors off Kansas the past two years like it did this season. In 2018, Oklahoma won an uncomfortable 55-40 game on Owen Field, with the Jayhawks rushing for 348 yards and four touchdowns. Last season, OU beat KU 45-20 in Lawrence, but it was an ugly game. Saturday featured the kind of thorough beating that Oklahoma should put on a program such as Kansas. The fact that Oklahoma is blowing out teams it is supposed to blow out is a good sign.

14. The Sooners’ third open date of the season has come at a great time. Oklahoma’s previous open date came between the Texas and TCU games, and it came out of it seemingly much stronger and has only improved since. Oklahoma State, up next, has struggled the past two weeks. Given how poorly the Cowboys’ offensive line has played — and how turnover-prone quarterback Spencer Sanders has been — Oklahoma’s defenders might have a field day.

15. The Sooners moved up one spot to No. 18 in both the AP and coaches polls. They are the third-ranked Big 12 team in both polls; Oklahoma State is No. 13 in the coaches poll and No. 14 in the AP poll; Iowa State is ranked 16th by the coaches and 17th by the media.

Boomer69

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "You can't have no idea how little I care."
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 07:01 pm

47Straight wrote:

5. Former five-star wide receiver Jadon Haselwood returned to action against Kansas after missing the first six games of the season. Haselwood tore his ACL in the spring. He made only one reception — a 33-yard grab in the fourth quarter from backup quarterback Tanner Mordecai — but getting him back could be huge for the stretch run. Haselwood, Theo Wease and Marvin Mims give the Sooners three wide receivers with legitimate star potential. It does raise the question, though, of Charleston Rambo, who was targeted seven times against Kansas but caught only two passes. Rambo has been ineffective most of this season. He hasn’t caught more than two passes in any game since the Oct. 3 loss to Iowa State.

All good info, but on Rambo I wouldn't be surprised if he gets less and less action. For some reason he doesn't seem to be engaged. The interception was really on him, as he stopped his route just as Rattler loaded up. Any receivers coach will say to play it through and be available to a scrambling QB; he was running right into the play and SR's vision then shut it down. This may get him sat down just as if he turned it over himself.

ClintA.Adams
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 07:28 pm

Rambo reminds me of Dejuan Miller with more talent. The latter is a good thing; the former not so much.

WishBone
DEPs

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 10:18 pm

Dont know if you remember but Rambo talks a lot of Smack,which is fine if you back it up.I recall him in an interview last year saying something similar to"Im being overlooked and it aint right" (not exact wording).But to my point.................I think theres a lil Attitude problem here.

SoonerVikeThunder
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 11:05 pm

On #13

The difference is defense. 100%

Current time is 10:18 pm