Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > The best back since AD.

The best back since AD.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
StatesEye
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 04:34 pm

Rhamondre is the best back since AD.
That is all....

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 04:51 pm

Not! He is no DeMarco Murray or Joe Mixon.

StatesEye
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 04:53 pm

WaddysWagon wrote: Not! He is no DeMarco Murray or Joe Mixon.True! He's better.

Shelstin

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 05:14 pm

StatesEye wrote:
WaddysWagon wrote: Not! He is no DeMarco Murray or Joe Mixon.True! He's better.

I don't think that we have seen enough yet. He is a Perine type of back with better feet. I said last night during the game that he would be a good pro in the right offense if he can stay out of trouble. I do like what he brings. Time will tell how good he really is.

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 05:46 pm

The guy is a beast - he looks like he isn't excerting much effort when he runs, but he runs over people and sheds tackles like crazy. Fun to watch!

SoonerGGS

Country of Origin: Youngstown, Ohio
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 07:14 pm

SoonerinDallas wrote: The guy is a beast - he looks like he isn't excerting much effort when he runs, but he runs over people and sheds tackles like crazy. Fun to watch!
Right, I laugh to myself whenever he breaks open with some safety in front of him.  I can imagine the safety thinking, this is going to hurt.

So, he is listed as a SR, is he gone after this year?  Next year looks like a good year for a real run and he would be a great addition to that.  But Sr or not, he appears NFL ready.

humblesooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 07:27 pm

SoonerGGS wrote:
SoonerinDallas wrote: The guy is a beast - he looks like he isn't excerting much effort when he runs, but he runs over people and sheds tackles like crazy. Fun to watch!
Right, I laugh to myself whenever he breaks open with some safety in front of him.  I can imagine the safety thinking, this is going to hurt.

So, he is listed as a SR, is he gone after this year?  Next year looks like a good year for a real run and he would be a great addition to that.  But Sr or not, he appears NFL ready.

No players use any eligibility this year.
He can come back, if he wants.

Gandalf
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 07:31 pm

He should go to the NFL. I don't want him too, but he should for him and his family.

WishBone
DEPs

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 8th, 2020 11:10 pm

Ive seen plenty,Kid is a BEAST.We have not had a back who runs thru or Over opponents since AD.

ArmySooner
Administrator

Country of Origin: Potawatomi Nation
Signature: Pookie Poo
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 12:09 am

I love the new running back - Stevenson - but I have a hard time trying to reconcile that he's already better than Demarco Murray. He's really good. But that seems like quite a bit of a leap of logic there. As far as comparison to AD goes, well - popcorn - there is no comparison.

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 02:33 am

Stevenson is really good. He is not as good as Murray, Perine, or Mixon. He might get there some day, but he simply hasn’t played enough to be placed on their level yet.

ClintA.Adams
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 02:51 am

The only thing I will say is I think Stevenson is probably the best runner on a poorly blocked play by the offensive line. All the aforementioned players had better offensive lines in most cases. This one is getting better, but they are not there yet.

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 03:09 am

All the accolades for R.S. are justified but there is one attribute he is lacking compared to Murray and Mixon...SPEED.

Old Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2020 08:18 am

What Stateseye said +1. Sherman tanks don't need a lot of speed. Mondre is a great back - watch his footwork and his power. He is the prtotype NFL running back. If he continues this level and barring serious injury he will make millions in pro ball. In the meantime he will do a ton of damage to OU's opponents. I love to see him run - he will only get better.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 13th, 2020 04:45 pm

He reminds me more of Jerome Bettis or Icky Woods than AD. More speed than Bettis/Woods, but the same nifty feet and power.

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 13th, 2020 07:40 pm

No offense to any past or present RBs but AD imo was the best there ever was. As a ex Vikings fan I watched every fame he played. Never had a decent qb and defenses going 8-9 in box.

In 2012 he rushed for 2097 yards. 131.1 per game. He was pulled early in the Houston game due to soreness and prep for the final game week later with GB otherwise he breaks all time record. He wanted to play but coach did it.

That same year Ponder was qb and boy was he bad. He was so bad teams did a rushing blitz not a qb blitz. They knew AD was gonna run on over 40% of all plays. And yet he still tore it up.

To illustrate how good he was:

AD averaged as many yards per rushing play (6.0) as Ponder averaged per attempted pass (6.0). Vikings had some crap qbs and AD was the only offense most games. Defenses knew he was running yet still couldn’t stop him. And he go better each quarter as he wore down the dlines.

Its gonna take a lot to even be in the same conversation with AD. Love RS but its crazy to compare at this stage.

AD is still running today.

Gandalf
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 13th, 2020 08:37 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
No offense to any past or present RBs but AD imo was the best there ever was. As a ex Vikings fan I watched every fame he played. Never had a decent qb and defenses going 8-9 in box.

In 2012 he rushed for 2097 yards. 131.1 per game. He was pulled early in the Houston game due to soreness and prep for the final game week later with GB otherwise he breaks all time record. He wanted to play but coach did it.

That same year Ponder was qb and boy was he bad. He was so bad teams did a rushing blitz not a qb blitz. They knew AD was gonna run on over 40% of all plays. And yet he still tore it up.

AD averaged as many yards per rushing play (6.0) as Ponder averaged per attempted pass (6.0). Vikings had some crap qbs and AD was the only offense most games. Defenses knew he was running yet still couldn’t stop him. And he go better each quarter as he wore down the dlines.

Its gonna take a lot to even be in the same conversation with AD. Love RS but its crazy to compare at this stage.

I made a special effort to watch every game AD played while at OU. I did this because I was 100% convinced he was the best RB ever to play college football and likely will be for years to come. I would take him over Barry Sanders any day, while a lot will disagree with me. I am firm in that belief.

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 13th, 2020 10:47 pm

Gandalf wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:

I made a special effort to watch every game AD played while at OU. I did this because I was 100% convinced he was the best RB ever to play college football and likely will be for years to come. I would take him over Barry Sanders any day, while a lot will disagree with me. I am firm in that belief.

..."the best RB ever to play college football"

Whew! I beg to differ sir.

If you consider his NFL career combined with his career as a SOONER, you can maybe make the case.

But to me, he's not even the BEST EVER at OKLAHOMA.

I mean, his numbers clearly reflect there were several with better careers as a SOONER. I'll just throw out a couple of names, Steve Owens, Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Billy Sims.

In my estimation, there were several others who had better numbers than AD.

I know he had a short time @ OU, and was injured a couple of times which retarded what his numbers could have been, but still, to call him the best ever to play college football is a stretch for me.:cool:

(And don't take that to mean I don't think he's one of the greatest ever to play in the NFL. That's a different argument.):D

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 13th, 2020 11:43 pm

The most talented back ever at OU was Marcus. And that’s saying a lot when you look at the names on Chinaman’s list. But its true.

Gandalf
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 13th, 2020 11:55 pm

You two make valid points.

Last edited on Fri Nov 13th, 2020 11:56 pm by Gandalf

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Nov 14th, 2020 12:54 am

Yes I mean NFL. College he was not used enough to say best we had others better stats

Bronco

Country of Origin: Ireland
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Nov 14th, 2020 04:56 pm

SoonerTony wrote:
The most talented back ever at OU was Marcus. And that’s saying a lot when you look at the names on Chinaman’s list. But its true.

Marcus Dupree was the greatest running back I ever saw. The 30 for 30 show about him "The Best that never was" was the best 30 for 30 episode as well. There was one play in a game against Missouri that stands out in my mind. He ran off tackle and ran square over the linebacker waiting in the hole and then outsprinted the safety.

:ou:

UtahSooner83
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Nov 14th, 2020 05:54 pm

Bronco wrote:
SoonerTony wrote:

Marcus Dupree was the greatest running back I ever saw. The 30 for 30 show about him "The Best that never was" was the best 30 for 30 episode as well. There was one play in a game against Missouri that stands out in my mind. He ran off tackle and ran square over the linebacker waiting in the hole and then outsprinted the safety.

Agree with this ^^^

I was a senior at OU when he was a freshman, and was sitting right behind the bench when that play happened. He could have been better than AD if he has AD’s work ethic, and listened to the right people. Just an unbelievable natural talent. Lower center of gravity than AD. When Marcus came back to the bench after that run, I screamed out, “we love you, Marcus!” Dude looked around as if he was thinking “who said that!” I told Marcus that story a few years ago, and we had a good laugh.

Last edited on Sat Nov 14th, 2020 05:55 pm by UtahSooner83

waddys ghost

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 15th, 2020 03:02 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
The only thing I will say is I think Stevenson is probably the best runner on a poorly blocked play by the offensive line. All the aforementioned players had better offensive lines in most cases. This one is getting better, but they are not there yet. exactly my thinking

Pokerman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 15th, 2020 08:45 pm

Gandalf wrote:
He should go to the NFL. I don't want him too, but he should for him and his family.

Might want to give that a little more thought. Wouldn't recommend anybody go to work for a company that is self destructing and might soon be out of business.

Beerme

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 15th, 2020 09:20 pm

Bronco wrote:
SoonerTony wrote:

I believe the safety for Missouri that Marcus outran on that play was the Big 8 60 yard (or meter) Indoor Champion.

ClintA.Adams
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 15th, 2020 11:51 pm

The Sooners had a lot of great backs. On one hand, you could say the Sooner old-timer backs benefitted by getting to run in an offense built around the run game exclusively while AD had to run in a balanced offense. And to that, you could say that AD benefitted by the Sooners having a passing threat while the Sooner old-timer backs had to contend with defenses that only had to focus on stopping the run game.

Dupree was the most talented back but depending on criteria, does that make him the best back? What about the other talented backs that didn't quit?

In the end, I'm just glad OU had them all.

Current time is 07:57 pm