SoonerSports.com link
Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search
   
Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 


Lincoln Riley
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

New Topic

Reply

Print
AuthorPost
StatesEye
DEPs
 

Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1273
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 11:47 am

Quote

Reply
Riley has been taking plenty of heat this year, and justifiably so....that's the nature of the job. However, a QB whisperer he certainly is. It was a brilliant (and risky) decision to pull Rattler in the first half and make Rattler watch a QB with less than half his ability move the team down the field. Rattler came back in the second half with a totally different demeanor.


How about Tanner? I know there are some that don't like the young man as a QB at OU. Still, this guy was READY. Excellent pocket presence, trusted his OL and made some nice throws. He needs to work on his "thigh" or "left hand" presence, though.

I think Riley is going to recover from the nose-down trajectory that began the season, and one thing I will not question (at least for a long time) is his ability to get QB's ready to play. Excellent job here.

Last edited on Tue Oct 13th, 2020 11:49 am by StatesEye

ClintA.Adams
DEPa
 

Joined: Tue Jul 24th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 16070
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 12:56 pm

Quote

Reply
OU will win the rest of their regular season games regardless of the defensive performances if...

The offensive line does it job.

While not ideal, that will be enough to get OU back to where they win by simply outscoring the opposition. And with any luck, the defense and special teams will play complementary football like they did on Saturday.

StatesEye
DEPs
 

Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1273
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 01:46 pm

Quote

Reply
Clint....
Against TCU, I'm going to wager that the OL and RB's exhibit the best rushing performance since OSU last year....maybe going back further than that.

More importantly.....I'm going to wager that OU's defense has the best outing under Grinch. I just saw a lot of really, really good things on defense Saturday.

I have a tendency to get too optimistic (or pessimistic) when it comes to OU football but I have a feeling this team is going to be steamrolling opponents in November.

Last edited on Tue Oct 13th, 2020 01:47 pm by StatesEye

Zgeo
DEPs


Joined: Fri Sep 6th, 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1696
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 03:12 pm

Quote

Reply

    Rattler sitting for a bit then coming back was a good move, but it was also Rileys only move .

    I think the team turned the corner in the RRR and I like their chances to win out.

    I am not of the QB whisperer crowd though. Baker, Kyler, and Hurts were obvious talents before arriving. Rattler was top rated QB in his class and is a more accurate passer than those that came before him.

    Mordecai looked calm compared to Rattlers early showing, but that was a low bar. Mordecai did not move the team down the field and score. That is the real measure of a QB. The Back up QBs that moved the team down the field in the past in Spring games or OOC opportunities are Morris and Schafer. IMO Morris is another Kyler in that he can scamper for 15 yards if needed before the defense knows what is up and can make all the passes. Schafer is a natural passer and moves the team down the field with passing from the pocket. If for some reason we need a backup QB I don’t think we win with Mordecai but would win with Morris or Schafer.

    ClintA.Adams
    DEPa
     

    Joined: Tue Jul 24th, 2007
    Location:  
    Posts: 16070
    Country of Origin: 
    Signature: 
    Status:  Offline
    Mana: 
     Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 03:20 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    StatesEye wrote:
    Clint....
    Against TCU, I'm going to wager that the OL and RB's exhibit the best rushing performance since OSU last year....maybe going back further than that.

    More importantly.....I'm going to wager that OU's defense has the best outing under Grinch. I just saw a lot of really, really good things on defense Saturday.

    I have a tendency to get too optimistic (or pessimistic) when it comes to OU football but I have a feeling this team is going to be steamrolling opponents in November.



    Looking forward to it. Hopefully the bye week fares better than last time than it did against ISU. I have mixed emotions about the shortened scheduled this year. On one hand, if OU had the Army and Tennessee games in the books, maybe they have the kinks worked out before conference play and take are of ISU and KSU. I think at worst, OU loses one of those games, but not two and OU is in far better shape as far as their conference standing as they wouldn't have the 2 conference losses out of the gate imo.

    And let's face it, ISU and KSU had to play great and OU had to play poorly for them to win by the slim 7 and 3 point margins that they did. Yes, part of OU's poor play was because of ISU's and KSU's performances but most of it was on OU. OU's offensive line playing up to normal standards alone would have been enough to win those games. Heck, having Brooks and Stevenson alone may have been enough because they are the types of backs that can perform even when the run-blocking is not the greatest.

    While the playoffs are basically out of the picture unless some really crazy things happen and it is 2020 after all, I would take great pleasure in OU still finding a way to win the conference title despite being in the worst position they have been in to win the conference title since their 5 year conference championship streak.

    It's 2020 anything can happen.

    Fly
    DEPs
     

    Joined: Sat Sep 3rd, 2016
    Location:  
    Posts: 1278
    Country of Origin: 
    Signature: 
    Status:  Offline
    Mana: 
     Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 04:39 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    I,m not here to rain on there win Saturday. But let,s face
    facts. Texass is not a very good team. They are a very talented team, but shot there self in the foot with penalty's, very poor OL play & a horrible defense. The
    Sooner did much the same as far as Penalties. It was a very sloppy game. But the Sooner never quit or gave up.
    The defense sec, played there best game. The defensive line looked much improved, but the Texass OL may have had
    something to do with that. But at the end of the day the
    Sooners proved they are coming together. I,m glad they have a by week to work on many things. I think much of
    this year mistakes have come from no spring practice, &
    youth.
    Fly:ou:

    Last edited on Tue Oct 13th, 2020 04:40 pm by Fly

    StatesEye
    DEPs
     

    Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
    Location:  
    Posts: 1273
    Country of Origin: 
    Signature: 
    Status:  Offline
    Mana: 
     Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 05:08 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    Fly wrote: I,m not here to rain on there win Saturday. But let,s face
    facts. Texass is not a very good team. They are a very talented team, but shot there self in the foot with penalty's, very poor OL play & a horrible defense. The
    Sooner did much the same as far as Penalties. It was a very sloppy game. But the Sooner never quit or gave up.
    The defense sec, played there best game. The defensive line looked much improved, but the Texass OL may have had
    something to do with that. But at the end of the day the
    Sooners proved they are coming together. I,m glad they have a by week to work on many things. I think much of
    this year mistakes have come from no spring practice, &
    youth.
    Fly:ou:
    Plenty of problems and question marks remain, Fly. No doubt. I have just decided to post mostly on the positives that I saw during the game and I think there were a heck of a lot more positives (especially defensively) this year than last year's Texas game.

    gcruse7
    Member


    Joined: Wed Aug 15th, 2007
    Location: Arlington, Texas USA
    Posts: 1208
    Country of Origin: USA
    Signature: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep ...
    Status:  Offline
    Mana: 
     Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 07:29 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    Not to make things too simplistic (or sound like Grinch), but I think the biggest difference between our first two games that we lost, and the most recent one that we won, is that we didn't have a huge negative turnover margin against Texas.

    SoonerTony
    Member
     

    Joined: Sat Dec 1st, 2018
    Location:  
    Posts: 352
    Country of Origin: 
    Signature: 
    Status:  Online
    Mana: 
     Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 12:44 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    gcruse7 wrote:
    Not to make things too simplistic (or sound like Grinch), but I think the biggest difference between our first two games that we lost, and the most recent one that we won, is that we didn't have a huge negative turnover margin against Texas.

    If I remember correctly, Iowa State was even in turnovers, one for each team.

    gcruse7
    Member


    Joined: Wed Aug 15th, 2007
    Location: Arlington, Texas USA
    Posts: 1208
    Country of Origin: USA
    Signature: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep ...
    Status:  Offline
    Mana: 
     Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 03:12 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    SoonerTony wrote:
    gcruse7 wrote:
    Not to make things too simplistic (or sound like Grinch), but I think the biggest difference between our first two games that we lost, and the most recent one that we won, is that we didn't have a huge negative turnover margin against Texas.

    If I remember correctly, Iowa State was even in turnovers, one for each team.


    You are right. I guess the turnover-fest in the K-State game clouded my memory of Iowa State.

    captnop
    Member


    Joined: Mon Nov 28th, 2016
    Location: Somewhere, Oklahoma USA
    Posts: 846
    Country of Origin: 
    Signature: 
    Status:  Offline
    Mana: 
     Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 04:57 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    I think Riley has done a good job .. OU was breaking in a Freshman QB, lost about 85% of the offense from last year the Jalen, RB's, CeeDee .. etc and dealing with an OL thats still trying to Gel... I don't want to make more of the Texas game, cause they are not that good. However the team could've quit on Riley and they hung in there and fought through 4 OT's!!!! Plus some of the young guys on the D showed some promise. I don't know if OU will win the rest of the games or not, but they will be in a much better place for next year!

    SoonerTony
    Member
     

    Joined: Sat Dec 1st, 2018
    Location:  
    Posts: 352
    Country of Origin: 
    Signature: 
    Status:  Online
    Mana: 
     Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 05:54 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    The most troubling thing for me is how they continue to fritter away 4th quarter leads. Three games in a row now. Two of them were double-digit fourth quarter leads.
    It’s like the opposition makes one or two plays and we cannot get the momentum back.

    StatesEye
    DEPs
     

    Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
    Location:  
    Posts: 1273
    Country of Origin: 
    Signature: 
    Status:  Offline
    Mana: 
     Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 06:05 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    SoonerTony wrote: The most troubling thing for me is how they continue to fritter away 4th quarter leads. Three games in a row now. Two of them were double-digit fourth quarter leads.
    It’s like the opposition makes one or two plays and we cannot get the momentum back.The loss of the lead against Texas falls completely on Riley and Grinch. They started calling a completely different game. Riley didn't get aggressive again until that 3rd down pass. Complete that pass and the game was over. I liked the call. As far as defense goes....the worst thing they could've done was drop 8 and rush 3. If nothing was open, then Sammy was free to run....and he did. Over and over and over.


    Actually, the defensive backfield played great most of the game. OU's pass rush wasn't that awesome. It was very, very good but not great. Ehlinger didn't have a lot of time to throw but certainly enough if something was open early. Seldom was it.

    Last edited on Wed Oct 14th, 2020 06:06 pm by StatesEye

    captnop
    Member


    Joined: Mon Nov 28th, 2016
    Location: Somewhere, Oklahoma USA
    Posts: 846
    Country of Origin: 
    Signature: 
    Status:  Offline
    Mana: 
     Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 07:52 pm

    Quote

    Reply
    Half the Texas drives were made possible by questionable holding and pass interference against OU .. by the Pro UT referees ...


     Current time is 12:38 am




    Powered by WowBB 1.7 - Copyright © 2003-2006 Aycan Gulez