AuthorPost
47Straight
DEPs

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature:  “stayin positive and testin negative”
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 12th, 2020 12:51 pm

by Ryan Aber

With 6:05 remaining on the clock in the fourth quarter and Texas facing 3rd and 4, Ehlinger scrambled for what looked like a first down.

Ehlinger went out of bounds with 5:57 showing but after it restarted, officials stopped the clock with 5:50 remaining to review whether or not Ehlinger had reached the line-to-gain.

After a lengthy review, Ehlinger was ruled short.

That looked like a positive for the Sooners, but referee Brandon Cruse instructed that the clock should read 6:36.

After Woodi Washington's interception ended that drive, the extra 39 seconds looked pretty inconsequential, but it loomed large late.

Had things played out the same way on the Sooners' subsequent drive, Texas would've started with 3:39 remaining, down 14.

Had things continued to play out the same way, there would've been just more than 1:30 remaining when the Sooners snapped the ball on third down late in regulation.

With that clock situation, Lincoln Riley would've been much more comfortable running on third down and taking his chances kicking it away.

The Longhorns would've been in desperation mode in the final minute, and their best offensive weapon — Ehlinger's scrambling ability — would be taken away.

Now, there's no way of knowing how the rest of the fourth quarter would've played out, but what initially appeared to be a good thing for the Sooners — Ehlinger being ruled short — caused a ripple effect throughout the rest of the game.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5673707/ou-football-bests-and-worsts-from-the-sooners-53-45-win-over-texas

Last edited on Mon Oct 12th, 2020 12:52 pm by 47Straight

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 12th, 2020 01:55 pm

I noticed that during the game. I watch with the sound down so I didn't realize they changed the clock because the ref told them to.

Zgeo
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 12th, 2020 02:23 pm

Have to persevere, stuff happens....

This is why the finish is important, have to beat the refs too...

soonerBAS
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 12th, 2020 02:39 pm

MsProudSooner wrote:
I noticed that during the game. I watch with the sound down so I didn't realize they changed the clock because the ref told them to.

I had the sound off as well, Gus Johnson was openly cheerleading for Texas couldn't take it anymore.

For most of the game I thought by OU-Texas standards the game was called pretty well normally it's pretty lopsided in Texas favor, but it seemed like in the fourth quarter things began to revert back to the normal Red River games where they can't see a ut player hold type stuff.

pippen
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 12th, 2020 05:51 pm

I was completely out of control in the stands after this.  No one else seemed to notice, though no one tried to calm me down either, and I was quite, um, vocal.  I hope somebody asks Riley about it.

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 12th, 2020 06:11 pm

Just as he was going out it shows 6:00 but should be 5:58 after they stop clock, its 3rd and 4:

Next play its 4th and 1 clock shows 6:36:

pippen
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 06:50 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-acknowledges-clock-error-in-oklahoma-vs-texas-leading-to-extra-regulation-time-in-red-river-showdown/
The real question is HOW did such an egregious "error" occur. Of course we all know the answer to that.

Last edited on Tue Oct 13th, 2020 06:50 pm by pippen

K2C Sooner
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 07:14 pm

I really wish they would publish the names of the review refs. Not to harass them, but to check their records of blown calls, that really should be tracked.

pippen
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 13th, 2020 07:46 pm

This one, like so many others over the years down there, including others Saturday, was not blown, but very obviously intentional. 

Serenity Now

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 04:48 pm

soonerBAS wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

I had the sound off as well, Gus Johnson was openly cheerleading for Texas couldn't take it anymore.

For most of the game I thought by OU-Texas standards the game was called pretty well normally it's pretty lopsided in Texas favor, but it seemed like in the fourth quarter things began to revert back to the normal Red River games where they can't see a ut player hold type stuff.
To be fair, Gus is alwasy cheering for the exciting game/play. He was all about Kyler Murray a few years ago. I was watching late 3rd quarter thinking "I hope Gus' flair for dramatic endings" is not accessed today.

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 11:34 pm

As my dad used to say:

WHAT IF the moon was made of cheese?

He HATED what if questions. I inherited it.

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2020 11:35 pm

pippen wrote:
I was completely out of control in the stands after this.  No one else seemed to notice, though no one tried to calm me down either, and I was quite, um, vocal.  I hope somebody asks Riley about it.

I had the same situation in the stands with the Stoops re-punt thing vs OSU. Everyone acted like I was a crazy person until...

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 15th, 2020 03:12 am

To be honest, besides this and a few other plays it was evenly reffed compared to normal. It did not appear to be blatant until this event happened. But had we been more aggressive earlier in qtr they never get close enough that this matters.

pippen
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 15th, 2020 01:54 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote: To be honest, besides this and a few other plays it was evenly reffed compared to normal. It did not appear to be blatant until this event happened. But had we been more aggressive earlier in qtr they never get close enough that this matters.Can't agree here. Even Riley called two of the penalties against our DBs in the first half "bad calls" on his TV show. I wonder if he'll get fined.

soonerBAS
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 15th, 2020 02:44 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
To be honest, besides this and a few other plays it was evenly reffed compared to normal. It did not appear to be blatant until this event happened. But had we been more aggressive earlier in qtr they never get close enough that this matters.

I kind of agree for the most part compared to previous years this wasn't a horrible ref job... up until the fourth quarter where you began to notice a lot of UT holding calls being "missed". guess the check didn't clear till the fourth quarter.

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 15th, 2020 02:50 pm

pippen wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote: To be honest, besides this and a few other plays it was evenly reffed compared to normal. It did not appear to be blatant until this event happened. But had we been more aggressive earlier in qtr they never get close enough that this matters.Can't agree here. Even Riley called two of the penalties against our DBs in the first half "bad calls" on his TV show. I wonder if he'll get fined.

Every game has bad calls, every one of them. We got jobbed on an earlier PI but I saw some calls we got too in our favor.

But we let them hang around and thats when refs did sketchy stuff around that time error. But if you recall they at first gave him the first down and changed it to short and now 4th down. A normal OU/Tex game they don’t change that call. Compared to normal it was as fair as we’ll ever get vs Tex. Not sure how they messed up clock so bad. Maybe they called down and said reset to 5:56 and he misheard 6:36? No idea.

Penalties:
Tex 11-101
OU 10-106

Last edited on Thu Oct 15th, 2020 02:51 pm by SoonerVikeThunder

Bronco

Country of Origin: Ireland
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 15th, 2020 03:15 pm

PI call in the end zone. Ball was clearly uncatchable.

pippen
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 15th, 2020 03:19 pm

Sure, every game has bad calls.  Not every game has so many critical and game changing bad calls as the one we play in the Cotton Bowl every year, and they always go one way.  But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Bronco

Country of Origin: Ireland
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 15th, 2020 08:03 pm

pippen wrote:
Sure, every game has bad calls.  Not every game has so many critical and game changing bad calls as the one we play in the Cotton Bowl every year, and they always go one way.  But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Don't think you are wrong.

:ou:

Deputy Dog

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Oct 16th, 2020 09:52 pm

What if?

OU_Alum

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 19th, 2020 02:11 am

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Just as he was going out it shows 6:00 but should be 5:58 after they stop clock, its 3rd and 4:

Next play its 4th and 1 clock shows 6:36:

What's the question here? When we play TexAss, such shady calls are expected. Smh..

Makes the win that much sweeter to some extent but I'm worried that this messes with the psyche of our defensive players.

pippen
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 20th, 2020 09:45 pm

OU_Alum wrote: I'm worried that this messes with the psyche of our defensive players.I don't know about them, but it definitely messes with mine.  Murderous psychotic rage is not really healthy for me at my age.;)

Current time is 02:27 am