Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Women's Sports > Extra Innings Softball (EIS) 2023 Class Rankings

Extra Innings Softball (EIS) 2023 Class Rankings
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams  

Print
AuthorPost
OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jul 28th, 2020 04:16 pm

The Oklahoma Sooners have had three early commits from the Class of 2023 to the Sooners for a while now. These players just finished their freshman year in high school and will be sophomore in the fall. Most of the recruits are playing on 16U or 18U young squads this summer but a few are playing on the main 18U teams for organizations.

With the new NCAA rule in the 2018 commitments are now delayed until their junior year which will be in the fall of 2022. I do not think the Sooners are finished recruiting for this class. Coach Gasso could have 26 players on the roster with 14 players being ‘seniors’ and leaving the program after the 2024 season. That may only leave 12 players on the roster plus potential 2024 recruits. I think she has to have bigger classes in 2022 and 2023 to offset that huge drop in players.

Here are the EIS comments on the three Sooner commits:

T- #26 – Leah McAnally, Catcher – (Last Year’s ranking = T- #20)
Texas Glory 16U - Naudin
Edmond, Oklahoma (Edmond Memorial HS)

(From EIS) - Leah has college-level physical tools and a gun for an arm. In one video clip this summer, the 5-foot-7 right-handed catcher playing for Ed Naudin’s 16U Glory team threw out a runner from her knees when the wannabe base stealer left first base early. Leah has played for the Oklahoma Impact Gold and Diamond Sports Hotshots before joining the Glory and college coaches have long coveted her defensive skills and power bat, but most of all, many say, they love her work ethic. Leah committed to Oklahoma shortly before the April 2018 recruiting rules changes and has continued to work on her craft.
- - - - -

T-#11 – Maya Bland, OF/UT, - (Last Year’s ranking = #11)
OC Batbusters 18U – Stith/Maroon (Young 18U squad.)
Irvine, California (Crean Lutheran HS)

Maya is skilled and athletic enough to platoon at shortstop and in leftfield for Mike Stith’s 18U young team and this just two years following her play at 12U with Toni Mascarenas’s OC Batbusters team that had Top 3 finishes in the World Fastpitch Championship and PGF Nationals. Maya has the tools to play in any position in the outfield and infield and her bat is potent: when she is on, she is a force in hitting for average and power. She has good size and is a triple threat leadoff hitter with the position and athletic skills that colleges can build on and add to. She committed to Oklahoma in the 7th grade after narrowing her list down to UCLA, Stanford, Florida and Oklahoma. She said at the time: “Initially, I had no plans to commit in the 7th grade, however when I visited Oklahoma it was clear to me and my family that OU was the best fit for me.”
- - - - -

T-#7 Madysen Manning, SS/UT – (Last Year’s Ranking - #9)
Birmingham Thunderbolts 04 -Roberson
Monroe, Louisiana

Madyson is a pure hitter and a “tailor-made 3-hole hitter” according to Head Coach Jay Roberson. An outstanding two-strike hitter, who hits for a high average and power, she is a double and home run-hitting machine who batted .608 last fall and hit .549 this summer. She’s 5-foot-11 but many feel her body is still growing and getting stronger and will likely be at least 6-foot in college. One scout commented on her potential stating: “When more muscle us added to her frame, Maddi is going to be one of the premier hitters in college softball. The kid can flat hit.” Defensively, she has a smooth glove and an excellent arm. From Monroe, Louisiana, Madyson had offers from the Oklahoma and Louisiana-Lafayette before she committed to the Sooners on January 16, 2018.
Note: Softball America ranked Ms. Manning as the #11 player out of the Top 25 players in their rankings today.
- - - - -

Other players that the EIS comments included favorable Oklahoma recruiting notes are:

T-#3 - Ella Parker, RHP, OC Batbusters 18U – Stith/Maroon (young 18U squad)
Note: Softball America has Ms. Parker as the #2 player out of the Top 25 players in their rankings today.

(From EIS) - Ella is one of the hardest throwing power pitchers in the country and isn’t just a talent in the circle, she is a 5-tool player who can line up at first base and in the outfield too. She plays for the younger 18U team for Mike Stith, but has played with the older team as well and this summer had one game against an elite 18U team where she pitched a 6-0 shutout and also hit a home run in the game. She runs track and has participated with the LA Jets Track Club and she was offered by top programs like UCLA, Oklahoma and Florida before the April 2018 recruiting rules changed. Ella throws in the mid-to-upper 60’s and has smashed home runs as far as 300 feet. She attends Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks, California) High where she batted .605 with 26 RBIs and went 6-1 with a 1.22 ERA in 13 games played this spring. Ella also has a nice baseball connection: her uncle is Dave Rogers, manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- - - - -

T- #5 – Ryan Maddox, LHP/OF, OC Batbusters 18U – Stith (older team)

(From EIS) - No one has had more of a meteoric rise over the last year than Ryan, who while leading her Central Cal Dirtdogs-Pickering team last summer to a 3rd place finish at the PGF 14U Premier Nationals, was drawing college coaches to her games like moths to a flame. The lefty pitcher has excellent spins and has pin-point accuracy and was one of the talks of the summer of 2019. She is a big-game pitcher who stays calm under pressure and has the athleticism to play the outfield and hit well too. She moved from the 14U age division to Mike Stith’s 18U premier team and has been an impressive force on the mound, getting significant playing time this summer behind veteran pitchers Nicole May (2020, Oklahoma) and Madi Elish (2021, Arizona).

Note: Softball America has Ms. Maddox as the #5 player out of the Top 25 players in their rankings today.

(Note: A fellow poster shared with me that OU is very high on Maddox and with the link to the Batbusters, OU has a good shot to recruit her.)
- - - - -

T-#6 – Ava Brown, RHP/1B, Diamond Sports Hotshots – Nelson

(From EIS) - Ava has elevated her game in the circle and has emerged as one of the top pitchers in the 2023 class. She also can hit well as the 5-foot-8 standout showed in Oklahoma City last month when she batted .435 and went 5-0 in the circle with a 0.52 ERA to lead Nate Nelson’s team to the 16U title at Top Club National. Ava throws in the low-to-mid 60‘s and is a smart pitcher who mixed up her speeds well and has a nasty change that keeps her ahead of the hitters. Ava can go deep on any swing and two years ago had 34 home runs for the year. She is a hard worker who is a leader and well-respected by her coaches and teammates. When she beat the top-ranked Mojo-Fisher team in the Top Club final, Ava was emotional for getting the championship win and no one was happier for her than Coach Nelson, who recognized how hard she had worked to get there. Possessing all the intangibles too, Ava has received interest from school ranging from Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12 to UCLA and Arizona State in the Pac-12.

Note: Softball America has Ms. Brown as the #13 player out of the Top 25 players in their rankings today.
- - - - -

T-#9 – Sierra Daniel, INF, Arizona Storm – Appel

(From EIS) - Sierra is a 5-tool talent with top-end speed (she ran a 2.63 at an OnDeck event last year) and also hits for power, slaps and overall is an offensive nightmare for the opposition. Sierra batted .462 and had a 1.237 OPS this past year playing mostly against top 16U and 18U competition. Coach Steve Appel, who led the Storm team to the PGF 14U Championship Game last summer, says of Sierra: “She single-handedly can change a game defensively going deep into the hole at shortstop or second with her lightning quick release and a sick glove.” He adds: “She is also one of the most coachable kids I have ever had.” The incoming sophomore is being recruited heavily by most every Top 25 school in the country and has attended elite camps at Oregon, Arizona State, UCLA, Oklahoma, Grand Canyon and has been invited to 50 more. Her coaches feel Sierra will be playing for a national championship one day as a middle infielder, but can also be one of the best centerfielders around if needed.
- - - - -

T-#12 – Kasidi Pickering, OF/P/SS, Hotshots Premier – Nelson

(From EIS) - Kasidi continues to rank as one of the top outfielders in her class and can do it all on the field: hit, run, play stalwart defense and even pitch. Opposing coaches even say she’s a favorite of theirs because “of her great attitude and versatility.” Kasidi has been a team leader for Nathan Nelson’s team since 10U club ball and he commented last year on her saying: “The value and game knowledge this kid has is off the charts. When you talk about lottery picks in professional sports, Kasidi is that to travel ball.” She was a key component in the team’s winning the Top Club National 16U championship this summer in Oklahoma City and before the recruiting rule change had offers from major programs such as Oklahoma, UCLA, Texas A&M, Louisiana-Lafayette and Georgia.
Note: Softball America has Ms. Pickering as the #23 player out of the Top 25 players in their rankings today.
- - - - -

T-#53 – Zaniah Puni, INF/C, OC Batbusters 18U – Stith/Maroon (young 18U squad)

(From EIS) - Zaniah is the younger sister of recently graduated infielder Zaida Puni, and Oklahoma signee, and the softball gifts have continued in the family as “Z” is one of the leaders on the Batbusters – Stith Maroon team which is comprised of many of the elite young talent in club ball. She has one of the highest softball IQ’s on the Mike Stith’s team and is also known as a clutch hitter who in the field has great reads of the ball off the bat, a great glove and soft hands when playing the corner spots. Like her older sibling, Zaniah has natural power and can bat in the 4 or 5-hole as a run-generating threat.
- - - - -

Currently of the committed players, the Sooners are the only program with 3 commits that is published. There are only 17 players already committed including the three OU players. It is a very limited player group at this point. At this point, Florida does have the #1 and #2 players (RHP and SS) in the EIS player rankings.

From what I see on other blog sites, the Sooners are very high on Parker, Maddox and Pickering and are strongly pursuing each player, among others. If Coach Gasso could add any 2 of these 3 players to this recruiting class, the class would be another very good recruiting class.

Boomer Sooner!

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jul 28th, 2020 07:00 pm

Just out of curiosity who is the #1 player in the class?

I’d like to see OU add one of the pitchers. Pickering would be a good pickup too. Heard really good things on her.

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jul 28th, 2020 08:38 pm

The Top 4 by EIS and SA (in different order) are:

EIA-SA
#1-#1 = Keagen Rothrock RHP (going to Florida)
#2-#3 = Mia Williams SS/3B (going to Florida)
Both of the players above are Tennessee Mojo - Fisher players.

#3-#2 = Ella Parker RHP/1B/OF (uncommitted)
OC Batbusters 18U - Stith/Maroon

#3-#4 = Tallen Edwards SS/C (going to Ole Miss)
Birmingham Thunderbolts a8U Premier

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jul 28th, 2020 08:57 pm

Florida with 1 and 2. If I remember right the Williams girl was the 7th grader that committed that raised some eyebrows.

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jul 28th, 2020 11:06 pm

I found this and it seems to partially confirm your thought.

- - - - -

Surprising Early Recruiting Take by Mia & Denika Williams
Florida, Florida Gators, Georgia Impact, Mia Williams
February 8, 2018

When Mia Williams, the talented shortstop from Windermere, Florida and member of Josh Fisher’s Georgia Impact team, committed to the in-state Florida Gators last October, it caused an uproar in the softball world as she was the first 7th grader—and youngest recruit at that point-- to commit to a major college.

Since then, at least four other 2023 recruits have announced they’ve verballed, but on Feb. 1 the envelope was pushed further when the first 6th grader and 11-year-old ever, Alexia Carrasquillo from Woodstock, Georgia and also from the Impact organization, announced that she too would play for Tim Walton and the Gators down the road.

- - - - -

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 29th, 2020 11:07 am

Extra Innings Softball continued their 2023 class rankings yesterday with their 101-200 rated players. They actually are going to rank the top 500 players in the 2023 class by week's end. One does have to remember that the Top 100 is probably actually 220 or so players due to the use of 'ties' at almost every rating. So their list will be 700+ players for that one recruiting class. Can you imagine keeping track of that as a publication?

Anyway, two other players that have ties to OU are Tele Jennings and Sophia Romero were rated yesterday.

Tele Jennings was rated as the #109 player as an OF. She plays for the OC Batbusters 18U - Stith/Maroon team. This is young 18U team for the Batbusters.

Sophia Romero was rated as the #129 player also as an OF. She was playing on the Athletics-Mercado 2023.

I do not know if OU is 'recruiting' either younger sister but if they chose to recruit them, I would think OU has a decent shot to do so successfully.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 12:16 am

I think Extra Innings is my favorite rankings. I don't think SA does as much research. I think Flo is a little it biased. If you'll notice since Chez Sievers(Ex Longhors players) took over OU players are for the most part lower ranked than other services. If you compare Flo and Extra Innings Sooner recruits are almost always ranked higher in Extra Innings.

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Aug 2nd, 2020 03:23 pm

As a wrap up to the current Extra Innings Softball 2023 class rankings they have released their positional rankings for the potential recruits.

To me this is where you really figure out the recruiting strength for a program. If a program can consistently recruits a Top 5 player at catcher, corner infielder, middle infielder and an outfielder they are doing a great job. If they can also recruit a Top 10 pitcher in that class they have all the ingredients of Top 3-5 team year after year.

For the 2023 recruiting class OU has recruited Top 3 positional players at three positions:

Madysen Manning - Rated the #3 infielder in the class and was tied for the #7 spot overall. Manning 5'11" playing the middle infielder as a high school sophomore-to-be. We are talking a Cal Ripken shortstop type. She could be 6 foot playing SS or 2B. Could Manning be a better player and hitter at 2B than Clifton was? Manning sounds like the same type of player.

Maya Bland - Rated the #3 outfielder in the class and was tied for the #11 spot overall. while she has pitched, it seems that she will be more of a player at the D1 player as an outfielder or an infielder. I tend to think 'Shay Knighten' when I think of Bland.

Leah McAnally - She was rated the #3 catcher in the class despite being rated rated in a tie for the #26 rated player overall. McAnally is reportedly a great defensive catcher with a big bat. She can also play 3B and 1B. She is shorter than Elam, but I tend to think of McAnally being Elam with a higher batting average and the same power.

With Manning, Bland and McAnally the Sooners have a big start on the recruiting of the 2023 class with Top 3 positional recruits.

As for other potential recruits...

The two pitchers, Ela Parker, Ryan Maddux and Ava Brown are rated the #2, T-#3 and T-#4 pitchers in the class. Parker is right handed, Maddux is a lefty, Brown is right handed. All three can play positions also and hit very well.

Zaniah Puni is rated the #13 catcher. Puni also plays 3B and 1B.

Siera Daniel is rated the #5 infielder and should be a true defensive gem as a middle infielder.

In the outfield, Kasey Pickering is rated the #4 outfielder. Tele Jennings is rated the #38 and Sophia Romero is rated the #45 outfielders in the class.

If OU can add one of the three pitchers and Pickering or Daniel to the class, that would be 5 Top 5 positional players in the class. What ever else they add to the class is great depth and a bonus.

Boomer Sooner!

Current time is 12:26 am