Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > John Blake has passed away.

John Blake has passed away.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Salt City Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 05:28 pm

https://twitter.com/DeanBlevins/status/1286348923557359616

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 06:26 pm

Man that's sad. He was a Sooner threw & threw. Great guy
also.
Fly :ou:

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 06:44 pm

That's sad.....

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 07:18 pm

...great recruiter, damn good Def Line Coach, BUT,...

Definitely not a HEAD COACH!

Most players I've heard talk about him were unanimous in their assertion that he was a "Great Guy."

I just think Blake's "hug 'em & love 'em" approach to players was too namby-pamby to be successful.

Pretty sure most of them loved him, & pretty sure none of them were afraid of him.

It's telling that Bob Stoops came in, took Blake's players and won #7 in 2 seasons. Different attitude, different approach, different results.

One thing is for certain, anybody who endured Blake's 3 seasons will NEVER FORGET THEM!

Rest in Peace, John Blake.

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 07:38 pm

Too young.

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 08:18 pm

Wow, sorry to hear. Shame is, he had lost weight which should make you healthier then dies of a heart attack. May be unrelated.

He had tough shoes to fill and needed a scandal free tenure, which he accomplished.

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 09:07 pm

2020 continues to suck. Prayers for Coach Blake’s family.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 01:13 am

You are all really good and forgiving guys and gals. I really appreciate your good thoughts. I just wish I could be as generous as you all are.

Here are my thoughts. This will give a hint. After blanks 2nd year I didn't renew my season tickets. The instant Bob Stoops was hired I called the OU ticket office and bought season tickets.

blank used his kids to try to blackmail the OU administration in an effort to keep his job. OU was fortunate that OU got rid as soon as it did and that likely saved the school from NCAA sanctions.

blake, following his dismissal at OU, did his best to sabotage OU's future recruiting.

blake was a really bad choice as head coach at OU. His only qualifications were his friendship with Switzer. That is one of the few things that I didn't like Switzer using his weight to get blank the job.

blake wasn't a manager of his coaches and players. He stood on the sidelines and had no interaction with his players and coaches during games.

Stoops came in with a vision to get OU back on top of the football blue bloods. blake came in with zero vision and it showed from the day he was hired.

I don't hate the guy. I just never thought he had a clue and should have never been hired.

blake got fired at two of his coaching jobs after he was fired at OU. Worse is his methods of recruiting finally caught up to him.

I don't celebrate any persons death. I don't sugar coat those who I don't think earned praise. I sure don't praise a coach who turned on his school after they gave him a head coach job.

End of rant.

And, please don't give me any blowback because I don't think he was an honorable man or a person who earned any praise or cudo's for the worst three seasons ever at OU.

It is just my opinion. :cool:

Raul

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 01:20 am

At this time, I would let his players have the say.

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 02:28 am

Raul wrote:

God put no man here to judge another & for sure after death.
JMOOP Fly

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 02:32 am

Could Not Agree more Mr Walt.............we are talking "Nail on the Head".Boom

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 03:14 am

WishBone wrote:
Could Not Agree more Mr Walt.............we are talking "Nail on the Head".Boom

(y)

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 11:05 am

Raul wrote:

Sure, lets all just let others decide what we think. You are welcome to do that, but I'm not going to walk off the cliff when I know better.

You are welcome to do that, but don't think you have any reason to take a different path.

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 11:41 am

Walt wrote:
You are all really good and forgiving guys and gals. I really appreciate your good thoughts. I just wish I could be as generous as you all are.

Here are my thoughts. This will give a hint. After blanks 2nd year I didn't renew my season tickets. The instant Bob Stoops was hired I called the OU ticket office and bought season tickets.

blank used his kids to try to blackmail the OU administration in an effort to keep his job. OU was fortunate that OU got rid as soon as it did and that likely saved the school from NCAA sanctions.

blake, following his dismissal at OU, did his best to sabotage OU's future recruiting.

blake was a really bad choice as head coach at OU. His only qualifications were his friendship with Switzer. That is one of the few things that I didn't like Switzer using his weight to get blank the job.

blake wasn't a manager of his coaches and players. He stood on the sidelines and had no interaction with his players and coaches during games.

Stoops came in with a vision to get OU back on top of the football blue bloods. blake came in with zero vision and it showed from the day he was hired.

I don't hate the guy. I just never thought he had a clue and should have never been hired.

blake got fired at two of his coaching jobs after he was fired at OU. Worse is his methods of recruiting finally caught up to him.

I don't celebrate any persons death. I don't sugar coat those who I don't think earned praise. I sure don't praise a coach who turned on his school after they gave him a head coach job.

End of rant.

And, please don't give me any blowback because I don't think he was an honorable man or a person who earned any praise or cudo's for the worst three seasons ever at OU.

You were more patient than I was. I did not renew my season tix after his FIRST season. But I am also sorry to hear of his death at such a young age.

bigedell

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 02:21 pm

Walt wrote:

End of rant.

Walt, all kidding aside, I just got a new level of respect for you. Just because someone has left this life, it doesn't change what they were and the consequences of their actions when they were alive.

It takes the courage of your convictions to make the kind of statement you did in our culture of "don't EVER talk even slightly unkindly of the dead". Kudos, Sir!

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 05:16 pm

bigedell wrote:
Walt wrote:

End of rant.

Walt, all kidding aside, I just got a new level of respect for you. Just because someone has left this life, it doesn't change what they were and the consequences of their actions when they were alive.

It takes the courage of your convictions to make the kind of statement you did in our culture of "don't EVER talk even slightly unkindly of the dead". Kudos, Sir!

Thanks, as I do appreciate the sentiment.

I went easy on blank. You really want to see me go ballistic is when one of these Hollywood drudged up scumbags die and the whole world comes to pour all the BS on him/her over his accomplishments in the film industry.

No, I don't like people who do drugs and wind up killing themselves over their drug addictions. I don't care one iota for those who abuse drugs and live that lifestyle and sure as hell won't jump on the bandwagon and pull up the ills of their lifestyle.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2020 06:04 pm

Edit: RIP

Last edited on Fri Jul 24th, 2020 06:05 pm by humblesooner

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2020 02:51 pm

Walt wrote:

End of rant.

Tend to agree with you, Walt. He was a good player and loyal to OU. He just didn't have the chops to be the head guy - disorganized, etc. I think he said something in 2000 to the effect that he almost had OU at a NC level when he was fired. I thought if anyone (including him) believed that, they were deceived. The fact that Stoops came in and with much the same talent (including key recruits like Huepel, Marshall, Griffin) were able to get the guys there in shape, organized and understanding what to do and winning, it showed what a good HC could do. Stoops had a plan, Blake did not.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2020 06:35 pm

SoonerinDallas wrote:
Walt wrote:

End of rant.

Tend to agree with you, Walt. He was a good player and loyal to OU. He just didn't have the chops to be the head guy - disorganized, etc. I think he said something in 2000 to the effect that he almost had OU at a NC level when he was fired. I thought if anyone (including him) believed that, they were deceived. The fact that Stoops came in and with much the same talent (including key recruits like Huepel, Marshall, Griffin) were able to get the guys there in shape, organized and understanding what to do and winning, it showed what a good HC could do. Stoops had a plan, Blake did not.

SID, you hit the nail right on the head. He did make those statements about him having the OU talent back to NC level. He may have elevated the overall talent some, but he sure had no chance at of winning the conference and or an NC with the talent he had on the team.

The fact is, blank was lacking key offensive and defensive talent. His 1999 team wouldn'
t have had QB talent, none. He had a single RB capable of leading the rushing in 99.

The other side is that he didn't know how to train his players. He was so unorganized that he would have never made that team to the level Bob did in one Spring practice and one offseason training season and fall practice.

Bob totally remade the 99 team. He moved players away from their past positions and made stars out of them. Bob had to go out and find a QB, Heupel. Without Heupel there would have been little success in 99 and forget the NC in 2000.

blank just didn't have the head coaching skills to build a team, ever.

bigedell

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2020 02:02 pm

Walt wrote:
bigedell wrote:
Walt wrote:

End of rant.

Thanks, as I do appreciate the sentiment.

I went easy on blank. You really want to see me go ballistic is when one of these Hollywood drudged up scumbags die and the whole world comes to pour all the BS on him/her over his accomplishments in the film industry.

No, I don't like people who do drugs and wind up killing themselves over their drug addictions. I don't care one iota for those who abuse drugs and live that lifestyle and sure as hell won't jump on the bandwagon and pull up the ills of their lifestyle.

Yeah, I'm very much the same way. I can't tolerate hypocrisy and sometimes I'm a little too blunt about it when I see it. I always say: You can't shoot yourself in the foot and then want people to pity you because you bled on the carpet.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2020 03:12 pm

I think it's sad when someone passes away before their time. I do appreciate him as a Sooner player. However, he obviously had no business being a HC. The only decent qb he had he ran off (Justin Fuentes).. His players were badly out shape. Some people are good assistants and just not HC material. I know Switzer liked him and all his players said he was a nice guy, unfortunately it takes more than being a nice guy to be a HC......

Brisket

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2020 04:31 pm

There is no question that Blake was not qualified to be a head coach when he was hired, nor was he capable of developing into a good head coach. He lacked any kind of consistent offensive or defensive philosophy, which led to his teams being horribly disciplined and organized. The final straw for me in supporting his tenure was when they had to roll out the "Twister mat" on the sidelines for special teams to make sure they had 11 players.

All that said, I feel sadness for his family having lost someone they love and care about way too soon.

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2020 09:57 pm

Brisket wrote:
There is no question that Blake was not qualified to be a head coach when he was hired, nor was he capable of developing into a good head coach. He lacked any kind of consistent offensive or defensive philosophy, which led to his teams being horribly disciplined and organized. The final straw for me in supporting his tenure was when they had to roll out the "Twister mat" on the sidelines for special teams to make sure they had 11 players.

All that said, I feel sadness for his family having lost someone they love and care about way too soon.

Bingo. We can acknowledge the man’s shortcomings without being derisive. The man is dead. I see no point in continuing to ridicule him. He will likely have WAY more people at his funeral than I will at mine.

Pneumonia Downs Nag

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2020 12:42 am

It's been enough years now that I can look back and smile about the Blake years. Lots of funny things happened on and off the field during the Blake years.

And it was always fun arguing with Clint and the other weather boys back during his tenure.

John Blake apparently ended his career and was beloved at his high school job. In reality, he is the type of guy who should have probably been at the high school level through his whole career as opposed to the more cutthroat environment of college and the pros.

Last edited on Sat Aug 1st, 2020 12:42 am by Pneumonia Downs Nag

Current time is 12:33 am