Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Women's Sports > Softball 'All Americans' for 2020

Softball 'All Americans' for 2020
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams  

Print
AuthorPost
OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2020 04:28 pm

Here is a bit of a diversion from all the important global news and information that is most of the 24 hour news coverage these days.

Below is the ‘D1 Softball All Americans’ selected for the shortened 2020 softball season. This list is provided by Softball America. I have not seen any other types of selections anywhere by other publications.
Of the 39 players selected on the three team All American squad all but one player was from the Power 5 teams. Only Paige Rauch of Villanova made the team from outside of a Power 5 school.

Softball America also selected a Top 100 D1 players from the season and a Top 10 players from each of the Power 5 conferences. These ratings are noted besides each selection if it applies.

The Pitcher of the Year was Megan Faraimo of UCLA. The Player of the Year was Miranda Elish of Texas.

The Sooners had two players selected. Hansen and Alo both made the 3rd Team as the 1B and DP-UT selections respectively. Hansen is the only freshman player selected!

The Big 12 had seven other players selected on the 3 teams. Elish (Texas) and Alysen Febrey (OSU) made the first team. Carrie Eberle (OSU), Erin Edmoundson (Texas Tech), Shelby Gayre (Kansas), Janae Jefferson (Texas) and Sydney Pennington (OSU) were selected on the second team.

- - - - - -
2020 Short Season All-Americans
1st Team
P Megan Faraimo, UCLA Soph - #1 D1 player - #1 player in Pac12 - PITCHER of the YEAR
P Gabbie Plain, Washington Jr - #8 D1 player - #6 player in Pac12
P Keely Rouchard, Virginia Tech Jr - #14 D1 player - #1 player in ACC
C Ally Shipman, Tennessee Soph - #39 D1 player - #9 player in SEC
1B Alysen Febrey, Oklahoma State Sr - #21 D1 player - #3 player in Big12
2B Alex Martens, Kentucky Sr - #3 D1 player - #1 player in SEC
SS Jessie Harper, Arizona Sr - #5 D1 player - #3 player in Pac12
3B Charla Echols, Florida Soph - #10 D1 player - #2 player in SEC
OF Alyssa Palomino-Cardozza, Arizona Red-Sr - #7 D1 player - #5 player in Pac12
OF Kindra Hackbarth, Arizona State Sr - #6 D1 player - #4 player in Pac12
OF Aaliyah Jordan, UCLA Red-Jr - #4 D1 player - #2 player in Pac12
P-UT Miranda Elish, Texas Sr - #2 D1 player - #1 player in Big12 - PLAYER of the YEAR
P-UT Natalie DenHartog, Minnesota Soph - #12 D1 player - #1 player in Big10

2nd Team
P Brooke Yanez, Oregon Jr - #17 D1 player - #10 player in Pac12
P Carrie Eberle, Oklahoma State Gr-Sr - #25 D1 player - #4 player in Big12
P Erin Edmoundson, Texas Tech Jr - #26 D1 player - #5 player in Big12
C Shelby Gayre, Kansas Red-Soph - #48 D1 player - #9 player in Big12
1B Kendyl Lindaman, Florida Sr - #31 D1 player - #7 player in SEC
2B Janae Jefferson, Texas Jr - #11 D1 player - #2 player in Big12
SS Sis Bates, Washington Sr - #9 D1 player - #7 player in Pac12
3B Sydney Pennington, Oklahoma State Jr - #52 D1 player – not ranked in Big12
OF Haley Cruz, Oregon Sr - #15 D player - #9 player in Pac12
OF Cayla Kessinger, Missouri Red-Jr - #16 D1 player - #3 player in SEC
OF Bailey Vick, Kentucky Sr - #18 D1 player - #4 player in SEC
P-UT Marissa Gumbarda, Clemson Jr - #23 D1 player - #2 player in ACC
DP-UT Baylee Klinger, Washington Soph - #13 D1 player - #8 player in Pac12

3rd Team
P Samaria Diaz, Oregon Sr - #30 D1 player – not ranked in Pac12
P Mariah Mazon, Oregon State Jr - #33 D1 player – not ranked in Pac12
P Meghan Beaubien, Michigan Jr - #42 D1 player - #3 player in Big10
C Maddi Hackbarth, Arizona State Sr - #58 D1 player – not ranked in Pac12
1B Kinzie Hansen, Oklahoma Fr - #35 D1 player - #7 player in Big 12
2B Hannah Adams, Florida Jr - #51 D1 player – not ranked in SEC
SS Briana Perez, UCLA Jr - #32 D1 player – not ranked in Pac12
3B Sydney Sherrill, Florida State Jr - #65 D1 player - #6 player in ACC
OF K B Sides, Alabama Jr - #19 D1 player - #5 player in SEC
OF Tristen Edwards, Nebraska Sr - #20 D1 player - #2 player in Big10
OF Hanna McEwen, Arkansas Jr - #22 D1 player - #6 player in SEC
P-UT Paige Rauch, Villanova Jr - #24 D1 player – Big East players were not ranked
DP-UT Jocelyn Alo, Oklahoma Jr - #27 D1 player - #6 player in Big12

Other Big 12 players that were in the Top 100 D1 players from the shortened season.
SS Grace Lyons, Oklahoma Soph - #41 D1 payer - #8 in Big12
SS Sami Williams, Iowa State Sr - #49 D1 player - #10 player in Big12
UT-OF Lauren Burke, Texas Jr - #57 D1 player – not ranked in Big12
SS Kiley Naomi, Oklahoma State Soph - #61 D1 player – not ranked in Big12
P Gia Rodoni, Baylor Gr-Sr - #63 D1 player
OF Brittany Jackson, Kansas Jr - #68 D1 player
3B Breanna Russell, Texas Tech Jr - #75 D1 player
OF-DH Grace Green, Oklahoma Soph - #84 D1 player
3B-UT Mary Iakopo, Texas Jr - #93 D1 player
P Shealyn O’Leary, Texas Soph - #100 D1 player
(P Mariah Lopez, Arizona Sr - #77 D1 player

Closing Commets;
I am very happy for Kinzie Hansen in being selected as the ONLY freshman. Hansen really showed her talent and impacted the team during the season. I am pleased that Alo was selected. The pitching that Alo faces makes it very hard for her to produce her freshman-type numbers. She maybe sees one or two pitches a game to really hit.

I am also very happy for Grace Lyons to be selected as the #41 D1 player. Lyons definitely stepped up this year offensively as she filled in the leadoff position and batted 4th, 5th and 6th as needed. She really was having a very good year offensively. I think she was a big reason the Sooners were 20-4 in the shortened season.

Grace Green was selected as the #84 player in D1 softball. Despite her not hitting a HR in 24 games, she still was selected. Green is also pitched to very carefully every at bat. A pitch that is not a foot outside the plate is a mistake by the pitcher it seems when Green is at the plate. She did contribute RBIs and a +400 OB% during the season.

I was a little disappointed that Lynnsie Elam did not make either group (All American teams or Top 100). When you look at the catchers selected, she was in the ballpark for a selection for the 2nd or 3rd team. Elam’s offensive step-up was as impressive this year as was Lyons’ year. I think she does get fatigued late during a weekend after catching full time. The Sooners might look at getting Hansen or Koeltzow some innings behind the plate to help Elam’s production next year. I think Elam can handle 1 game o day for 3 days, but 5 games in three days adds up on a full time catcher.

One down note I have to mention is that the Sooners had no pitchers make the teams or even were ranked in the Top 100 players. Shannon Saile was pitching through a transition of her windup and pitch selection during much of the season. She held up fairly well despite that disadvantage. If not for a couple of missing outs in two separate innings she could have been 13-1 with 6 saves and an ERA close to 1.00.

I went back to look (making sure my memory was correct) and found out that since 2010 that the Sooners had a pitcher selected to the ‘official’ All American D1 teams each year except for 2014. That was Kelsey Stevens’ mammoth year where she went 38-9 with a 2.44 ERA and pitched 275 innings. Stevens was selected for the Big 12 second team and the All-Region Team that year.

Ricketts was selected either for the 1st or 2nd teams from 2010 to 2013. Parker was selected for either the 1st or 2nd teams from 2015-2019 and Juarez was selected for the 1st team last year.

I am looking forward to more Sooner Softball as soon as it makes good sense.

Boomer Sooner!

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2020 12:56 am

I had seen where Hansen was the only freshman to make it. Big plus for her.

I know it was a shortened year but no OU players on 1st or 2nd team? There is no way Alo should be a 3rd teamer. She was having a really good year.

scrybe

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2020 04:44 pm

cclift38 wrote: I had seen where Hansen was the only freshman to make it. Big plus for her.

I know it was a shortened year but no OU players on 1st or 2nd team? There is no way Alo should be a 3rd teamer. She was having a really good year.Agree on Alo. And I also believe Elam should have made at least 2nd team. If I'm not mistaken she hit 10 dingers, which I believe put her in the Top 10 in the nation.
Am I wrong?

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2020 04:58 pm

Elam hit 9 HRs with 22 RBIs. Her numbers were 0.298 BA, 0.342 OB% and .653 Slug %. The most was 12 HRs. Elam tied for 15th.

The numbers for the catchers selected were not great and I am not real sure how much the young lady from Kansas (Gayre) caught. But probably the lower average kept Elam from making a team. But I agree her offensive year was a big improvement over 2019.

I think Alo should have gotten more credit for playing the outfield, even CF some. Unfortunately, she will always be compared to her freshman season which will leave those selecting these teams thinking she is having a down year.

I think the 1st, 2nd and 3rd selections for DP-UT player was very close for DenHartog, Klingler and Alo. It could have flushed out in any order. But, Softball America tends to be pro-Husky and pro-Gopher to me. They are especially pro-Crimson Tide.

Boomer Sooner!

Last edited on Fri Apr 10th, 2020 04:58 pm by OUBeliever56

Current time is 11:15 am