Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Women's Sports > What problems will Patty face

What problems will Patty face
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams  

Print
AuthorPost
jdurrett

Country of Origin: Oklahoma
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2020 06:17 am

when softball restarts?
(1) An embarrassment of riches with so many talented players. I doubt it will be possible to keep them all happy hence transfers will happen.
(2)Can we assume that everyone will be 100% healthy? Enough to practice hard without hesitation?
(3)Sherri C. campaigned through the Stilletos to acquire enough money to fund scholarships for all women's basketball players. Are we as well funded for softball? If not, why not? This isnt the best time to raise money, but if the team isnt fully funded it's past time to get started.
(4) What other problems do you anticipate?

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2020 01:46 pm

jdurrett wrote:
when softball restarts?
(1) An embarrassment of riches with so many talented players. I doubt it will be possible to keep them all happy hence transfers will happen.
(2)Can we assume that everyone will be 100% healthy? Enough to practice hard without hesitation?
(3)Sherri C. campaigned through the Stilletos to acquire enough money to fund scholarships for all women's basketball players. Are we as well funded for softball? If not, why not? This isn't the best time to raise money, but if the team isn't fully funded it's past time to get started.

- - - - - - -

(1) - There have been a couple threads about the topic of the number of players and the depth of the team. I think that the player depth for the upcoming season is much more positive than it is negative for The Sooners. I expect that the Sooners may lose 2 - 4 players for the Spring of 2021 season. We may see 1 or 2 of those players leave before that in the fall of 2020.

With 24 players expected to be on the roster this fall (17 players and 7 pitchers) losing 2-4 players still leaves at least 20 players. I would not seriously count on transfers being added to the roster for the fall or spring as things are right now.

With at 15 players and 5 pitchers the Sooners would have as much depth and maybe as much talent as they have had historically. I see at least 11 players being in a 'regular' rotation schedule for playing. When you add the typical pinch runners and hitters and a defensive sub, Coach Gasso can keep 15 playing players happy I think. With 5 pitchers, and maybe Juarez not pitching in the fall, the remaining pitchers will get their regular work and have opportunities to 'earn their keep'. With a pitcher playing 1 fielding position, the Sooners could actually have two 9 person teams (without DH) scrimaging in practice. I do not remember that possibility in recent seasons.

(2) - For the fall, I would not think that 'G" Juarez will pitch in games. I heard or read that she has already had surgery on her left bicep to repair what was ultimately causing the issue. If that is the case, I will not be counting on her being 100% until maybe mid-season in the Spring. How good that will be will be the $100 question.

Nicole Mendes should be healed and back to 100% I think by the fall with continued work and rehab. She will do the work. I am very pleased that she is returning. Her Senior year could be very good.

Rylie Boone will likely be healed by the fall when games are played.

Taylon Snow had shoulder and leg issues in the fall and spring this last year. Hopefully the injury bug does not continue to bug her. Seeing her play the entire fall would be nice to see. She may need to be 'ready' to play keep a starting job.

I did notice that Jocelyn Alo's limp with her bad leg (knee brace) was more noticeable this spring several games. I could see if something minor needs to be repaired that it might be addressed for her to be 100%. That might affect her fall play. But if anything is done, she will be 100% for Spring.

(3) - Gasso having problems funding the scholarships seems to be a something that would not be a problem at all. I think I will worry about a zombie invasion before I worry about that. The University has to fund the 11.7 or 12 scholarships due to Title IX. They are funded. The program also spent some money at the field between the fall and spring seasons. The area to the west of the OU locker room was refitted to include a new cover or tarp and astro turf. I think this area was outdoor batting cages previously. They seemed to use the new area as a warmup area and could probably use as a drill area in bad weather. It is a nice upgrade. It also looked like the OU pitching warm-up area was improved. The fencing around the area was new and it looked like the dirt, plate areas and 'mound' areas were renewed. The final upgrade was the outfield fence cushions were replaced. They were bright 'crimson' replacing the sun-washed cushions and had a little different arrangement of the four championship graphics.

I do not know how much money was spent, but there were some upgrades.

I also heard a rumor (with no official confirmation from anywhere) at a function on campus that the funding of the new softball stadium was addressed and that the report was very good. Something like 20+ million has been raised but the new estimate of cost was close to 25+ million now. It that is true, it is close to being reality. The fund raising for that may be tough currently but maybe the gap will be closed soon.

(4) - Other problems? As long as I actually want more coffee, I am a cup half-full type of person. I don't like to think that I look for problems most of the time.

Something new that was just announced is that the Olympics have been postponed to July 2021. Does that affect the Sooners? I would guess the USA team selection will have to be repeated. Maybe Alo or Lyons is included in that process. It would be a nice honor for them if they are included. If one is selected, it would affect the team probably as the college players were required to red-shirt this last season.

As for as the COVID-19 effect on the country, it may not be out of the question that the fall semesters might be affected. (Did I use those two words correctly?)

We will have to wait to see about the fall semester, I guess. That is a daily thing today.

Boomer Sooner!

jdurrett

Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2020 05:23 pm

I was referring to scholarships funded by private parties and not by the university. I'm sure the university funds the full complement of scholarships for softball and, goodness knows, gets a good return for the money. It seems to me that it would be a good selling point to prospects to say that the support for the team is such that all scholarships are privately funded.

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2020 06:00 pm

responding to 'jdurrett':

I guess I did not know that a private individual/group/etc could fund an athletic scholarship and designate that it goes to a softball player or an unknown player that will play softball. I thought all donations had to be donated to the general fund of a school and the money was given out from their. Therefore the school awards all athletic scholarships.

I think there are endowments where someone sponsors the math department, for example, and they can provide a number of math students with scholarships, but those are open to all the students at OU to apply for.

I could be wrong, it has been a long time since college for me.

upontop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2020 03:41 am

OUBeliever56 wrote:
responding to 'jdurrett':

I guess I did not know that a private individual/group/etc could fund an athletic scholarship and designate that it goes to a softball player or an unknown player that will play softball. I thought all donations had to be donated to the general fund of a school and the money was given out from their. Therefore the school awards all athletic scholarships.

I think there are endowments where someone sponsors the math department, for example, and they can provide a number of math students with scholarships, but those are open to all the students at OU to apply for.

I could be wrong, it has been a long time since college for me.

Old news:

https://soonersports.com/news/2018/4/13/211710781.aspx

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2020 10:31 am

'upontop' certainly answered my question and provided the best documentation one could provide. thank you for your excellent memory or research or both.

I missed that Kansas series in 2018 due to a trip to Mexico with some friends of ours. I obviously forgot the article as well.

Now I will wonder out loud about what I now know.

Does this scholarship provided outside of the school count as part of the 11.7/12.0 scholarships per year or is it an add-on scholarship to that total? Anyone know?

scrybe

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2020 09:33 pm

OUBeliever56 wrote: jdurrett wrote:
when softball restarts?
(3)Sherri C. campaigned through the Stilletos to acquire enough money to fund scholarships for all women's basketball players. Are we as well funded for softball? If not, why not? This isn't the best time to raise money, but if the team isn't fully funded it's past time to get started.

- - - - - - -

As for as the COVID-19 effect on the country, it may not be out of the question that the fall semesters might be affected. (Did I use those two words correctly?)
You did, and I'm proud of you! (y)

jdurrett

Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 12:52 am

If I remember correctly (always problematic at 81)Sherry would announce an endowment in the name of a past Sooner standout which would fund a full scholarship player. There was sufficient money in the gift to sustain the scholarship indefinitely.

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '20
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 01:04 pm

jdurrett wrote: If I remember correctly (always problematic at 81)
Ain't that the truth!

scrybe

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 03:56 pm

jdurrett wrote: If I remember correctly (always problematic at 81).I concur, jd, and I'd like to add it's just as problematic for some of us at 69.

Current time is 06:38 pm