Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '20
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 01:30 am

Nice Rainbow at Vermejo!

Attachment: 1 Rainbow Riley (800x600).jpg (Downloaded 125 times)

Last edited on Tue Mar 17th, 2020 01:32 am by 47Straight

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 01:35 am

That looks like a very nice and little Rainbow. Once upon a time, I was fishing in the Kenai River, located about two hours south of Anchorage, Alaska.

It wasn't a record Alaska Rainbow, but at 20.5 pounds it was sure as hell a record for me :). Somewhere around the house, I have a photo of Mr. Raimbow. The bad thing about fishing in the wilds of Alaska is that it ruins you for most other fishing.

47Straight

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 01:58 am

Walt wrote: That looks like a very nice and little Rainbow. Once upon a time, I was fishing in the Kenai River, located about two hours south of Anchorage, Alaska.

It wasn't a record Alaska Rainbow, but at 20.5 pounds it was sure as hell a record for me :). Somewhere around the house, I have a photo of Mr. Raimbow. The bad thing about fishing in the wilds of Alaska is that it ruins you for most other fishing.
I struck out during my day on the Kenai.  However I was going for big Kings instead of Rainbows.
I'd guess that's about a 2 -2.5 pounder that Lincoln has.  Looks like he got him on  a fly rod, so that would have been fun. The bigest Rainbow I ever got was a five pounder on a fly rod on the Rio Grand
below Creede.

It's tarpon fishing that has ruined me for most other fishing.

Attachment: Creede 2007 095.jpg (Downloaded 117 times)

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 02:35 am

I caught a 220LB seabass, 110Ib sea bass & a 85Ib SB all
in the same day when I was 12 years old. I have the write
up from the Oklahoman to prove it. Top that!:P

Fly:lol:

Last edited on Tue Mar 17th, 2020 02:36 am by Fly

47Straight

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 02:40 am

Fly wrote:

First lier doesn’t have a chance :cool:

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 12:03 pm

47Straight wrote:
Fly wrote:

Once upon a time, I got hooked by a six-pound, largemouth black bass. It was right after the sun came up in a farm pond up on the Oklahoma-Kansas border. My friend had a ranch with about 20 ponds all stocked with bass.

I was alone in a tube. Had a lure with a front and trailing treble hook. I had paddled towards a rock wall about 20 foot tall towards the east side of the pond. I cast the lure towards the base of the rock wall and the lure hit the wall and when it hit the water the bass broke the surface and got his bottom lip hooked on the front treble hook.

I set the hook and the damn bass came right at me. He went right between my legs and the trailing treble hook lodged in the flesh right below my left knee.

I had the line tight, set there for what seemed like an eternity, thinking how I was going to get out of this mess. After a minute or so I reached down with my right hand and got hold of the bottom lip and pressed my thumb down as hard as I could.

Again I set there thinking how to get the hook out of my knee. Finally, I let slack in the line and with the left hand I reached down and got the base of the treble hook in my knee and pushed it down and out. It hurt like hell, but I was free of the damn fish.

He was dinner.

Beat this one ... it wasn't just a fish story ... was the truth. :shock: I never allowed another one to get that close to my legs.

47Straight

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 01:50 pm

Walt wrote: 47Straight wrote:
Fly wrote:

Once upon a time, I got hooked by a six-pound, largemouth black bass. It was right after the sun came up in a farm pond up on the Oklahoma-Kansas border. My friend had a ranch with about 20 ponds all stocked with bass.

I was alone in a tube. Had a lure with a front and trailing treble hook. I had paddled towards a rock wall about 20 foot tall towards the east side of the pond. I cast the lure towards the base of the rock wall and the lure hit the wall and when it hit the water the bass broke the surface and got his bottom lip hooked on the front treble hook.

I set the hook and the damn bass came right at me. He went right between my legs and the trailing treble hook lodged in the flesh right below my left knee.

I had the line tight, set there for what seemed like an eternity, thinking how I was going to get out of this mess. After a minute or so I reached down with my right hand and got hold of the bottom lip and pressed my thumb down as hard as I could.

Again I set there thinking how to get the hook out of my knee. Finally, I let slack in the line and with the left hand I reached down and got the base of the treble hook in my knee and pushed it down and out. It hurt like hell, but I was free of the damn fish.

He was dinner.

Beat this one ... it wasn't just a fish story ... was the truth. :shock: I never allowed another one to get that close to my legs.
I will postulate that the first lier does have a chance if he is also the last lier.  [bow]

Current time is 09:29 am