Print
AuthorPost
EMan
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 12:25 pm

The second edition in our Blast from the Past series takes us back to the Cotton Bowl once again. This time, it's the 1973 version of the Red River Rivalry game. Little Joe, the Selmons, Rod Shoate, Jimbo Elrod, etc, etc...are roaming the field and are about to unleash holy hell on the rest of the college football world...

From the Dallas Times Herald, October 14, 1973...

OH YOU SOONERS TOO MUCH, 52-13

by Blackie Sherrod

It was, you should excuse the expression, as one-sided as a barbecue.

Lightning bolts from beyond the Red River simply and starkly electrocuted the once-proud Texas Steers Saturday, searing the Longhorns beyond recognition in one half the time allotted. For the last portion of the game, it was a question of Oklahoma appetite for beef.

The total damage was 52-13 and by the time Steve Davis, Joe Washington, Tinker Owens and their talented associates were through, superlatives dangled from the Cotton Bowl like weary streamers on New Year's morning.

Examples: It was the worst defeat ever strapped on a Darrell Royal team anytime, anyplace. It was the most points ever scored by the winner of this bitter interstate duel. It was the most points yielded by a Longhorn team since 1908. And so on.

"It was like a nightmare out there," said Texas quarterback Marty Akins.

The fury of the Oklahoma attack established the result so early that Texas fans began leaving the stadium in the third quarter. This probably also is a record. The north half of the Cotton Bowl was almost bare in the fourth period, while the southern half was still crammed with red-coated and red-dressed fanatics cheering the third straight Oklahoma victory. The crowd of approximately 72,000 had recognized the fatal signs right after the second half kickoff, when Barry Switzer's swift youngsters swelled their advantage to 27-6.

And neither could the departing Texas supporters mutter wait til next year, for every one of the seven Sooner touchdowns was scored by a sophomore or freshman.

At least the backsliding Longhorn fans were spared the embarrassment of seeing Switzer flood the field with Oklahoma substitutes in the final period, who, incidentally, scored with just as much effectiveness against a tired Texas team.

The first half was a weirdo. Texas monopolized the clock, keeping the ball almost 22 minutes of the 30. The Longhorns ran twice as many plays as the Sooners, 42 to 20. They rushed the ball with typical doggedness against the huge Oklahoma line. Yet their efforts could produce only two field goals, 36 and 44-yard boots by Billy Schott.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma reverted to the forward pass, a foreign weapon to the country's leading rushers, for three stunning long distance touchdowns.

"Those three plays caught us totally asleep," said Royal.

The Sooners had thrown only 24 passes in their three previous games, completed just nine. Washington had never thrown a pass in his natural-born college life. Yet here was the whippet halfback taking a pitchout from Davis, faking a sweep, cocking and throwing 35 yards downfield where Owens awaited on the Texas 10-yard line, a furlong behind Longhorn safety Tommy Keel. It was a shocking 40-yard touchdown play on Oklahoma's first possession and led the Big Red partisans to a roaring that lasted the afternoon.

Schott's field goals pulled Texas to a 7-6 deficit before the next Sooner bolt struck.

This was a 63-yard heave from Davis to Owens, 33 yards in the air and 30 yards of gallop by Owens, outdistancing Keel and Jay Arnold. This score also seemed the responsibility of Keel, but halfback Terry Melancon had the primary responsibility of covering the tricky Owens.

Just before the half, Oklahoma struck again with the same sudden swiftness. This was a 46-yarder from Davis to the other wide receiver, Billy Brooks. The Oklahoma soph, a Navarro JC transfer, took the perfect pass on the Texas five, inches above the desperate dives of Keel and Arnold.

"If we could have put them (Texas players) in the defense we wanted 'em in, and if we call the pass we want them to call, that was it; yet they hit it," said Royal.

"We had a special scheme," Owens said afterward. "Their safety (Keel) keyed on our center for a pass or run. We noticed in films that he always came up fast when he thought it was a run. So we had the center fake the run."

Then when Keel started toward the scrimmage, Owens slipped behind him. "It worked twice for touchdowns and one other time when they caught me," he said.

In the second half, Keel was replaced by a 138-pound freshman from Odessa, Joe Bob Bizzell. But by then the Sooners had enough of that aerial foolishness. They just rammed the ball down the Longhorn gullet, aided and abetted by mounting Texas mistakes.

Oklahoma took the second half kickoff and slammed the coffin shut. Mainly on Washington's darts, the Sooners marched 78 yards, with Davis' 15-yard sprint accounting for the touchdown. The unfortunate Keel went back in the game for one play, and was promptly flattened by Washington's rolling block, clearing the path for Davis.

"We were lucky in the first half," said Switzer. "We had to take the opening kickoff of the second half and score. It was a challenge to our players. I think that drive was the turning point of the game."

From then on, the carnage went thusly:

A Clyde Powers interception of Akins' pass, a 30-yard return to the Texas 7. A touchdown plunge of two yards by Davis. 35-6.

An Akins fumble, recovered by Mike Struck on the Texas 7. A 25-yard field goal by Rick Fulcher. 38-6.

Another Powers' interception of a Mike Presley pass, a return of 32 yards to the Texas 10. Sub quarterback Scott Hill almost scored on the first play, fumbled as he reached the goal and guard Jaime Melendez covered in the end zone for touchdown. 45-6.

With Oklahoma subs afield, Texas then drove 80 yards for its only touchdown late in the final quarter, Presley sweeping 31 yards for the score. 45-13.

On runs by reserve halfback Bob Berg and third string quarterback Joe McReynolds, a freshman yet, Oklahoma moved 81 yards for its last touchdown. McReynolds scored on an 11-yard run. 52-13.

Oklahoma did not outrush the Steers by a great margin, 283 yards to 209. Roosevelt Leaks got 82 of the Longhorn yards before leaving the game in the third quarter with a bruised back. But Oklahoma had a 225-79 edge in passing yardage. It was a most impressive all-around victory for the Sooners, who should certainly improve their No. 6 national standing in next week's voting. The Longhorns will second the motion.

OU.... 7 - 14 - 14 - 17 - 52
UT.... 3 - 03 - 00 - 07 – 13

OU: Owens 40 pass from Washington (Fulcher kick)
UT: FG Schott 35
UT: FG Schott 44
OU: Owens 63 pass from Davis (Fulcher kick)
OU: Brooks 47 pass from Davis (Fulcher kick)
OU: Davis 15 run (Fulcher kick)
OU: Davis 2 run (Fulcher kick)
OU: FG Fulcher 25
OU: Melendez fumble recovery (Fulcher kick)
UT: Presley 31 run (Schott kick)
OU: McReynolds 9 run (Fulcher kick)
A - 72, 204

YARDSTICK
Oklahoma:

First Downs: 22
Rushes - Yards: 54 - 283
Passing Yards: 225
Return Yards: 62
Passes: 6-8-0
Punts: 4-49
Fumbles - Lost: 2 -1
Penalties - Yards: 6 - 66

Texas:

First Downs: 16
Rushes - Yards: 54 - 209
Passing Yards: 79
Return Yards: 0
Passes: 6-13-3
Punts: 4-36
Fumbles - Lost: 3 -2
Penalties - Yards: 3 - 29

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, October 14, 1973…

LONG MARCH WAS SOONER KEY
Early Scores Come Quickly on Long Passes

By Clifford King

DALLAS – If there was a turning point in Oklahoma’s 52-13 trouncing of Texas here Saturday afternoon, it came early in the third quarter when the Sooners took the kickoff and marched 77 yards to pad their lead to 28-6.

That was the opinion of head coach Barry Switzer who reviewed the game for more than a score of writers in a happy Oklahoma dressing room.

“Sure, we had a 21-6 lead at halftime,” Switzer said, “But I told our players that they still had not proved themselves on offense.”

“All of the first-half TDs came on long pass plays and I felt that we had to come out in the second half and prove that we could march against Texas. When we took it on in for the score, I really felt safe for the first time.”

Could the Sooners have beat any team in the country today? Switzer was asked.

“We sure could have,” he answered, “if the opposition made as many errors as Texas did.”

Asked to compare the Texas game with the Southern Cal contest when the Sooners were held to a 7-7 tie, Switzer said his club outplayed the Trojans, too, but just couldn’t put any points on the scoreboard.

“You’ll remember we made something like 360 yards rushing in the Southern Cal game,” he said, “but that’s not much good if you only make seven points.”

Despite the lopsided score, Switzer had sincere praise for the Longhorns.

“They (Texas) just made too many mistakes in the second half and made the score mount,” he said. “But they really played tough in the first half except for getting burned on the long passes.”

Was today the happiest for Switzer since he’s been head coach at Oklahoma?

“If you beat Texas, it’s a great day,” he answered. “But I can’t honestly say that I’d rather beat the Longhorns than Nebraska, or Colorado. It’s a great day when you win the Big 8, too.”

The Sooner coach had high praise for halfback Joe Washington who threw the first pass of his college career – a touchdown strike to Tinker Owens – in the opening quarter.

“Joe didn’t get excited: he set himself up real well and just laid it in there,” Switzer said.

The Sooner mentor said that his team had planned to throw long passes because “we’ve got some receivers with good speed. The only reason we didn’t throw a lot against Southern Cal was because we were gaining consistently on the ground.”

Quarterback Steve Davis, who threw for two touchdowns, couldn’t say enough nice things about his offensive line.

“If you get protection like I had, there’s no way you can keep from completing ‘em,” he said.

“There were times when I had to stand back there and wait until somebody got open, but I still had plenty of time.”

Davis almost echoed the words of his coach by saying that he felt good at halftime but thought the Sooners needed one more score to clinch it.

“When we took the third quarter kickoff and started pounding it out, I knew we had ‘em beat.”

Davis said the Longhorns shut him off real well in the first half when he tried to run. “But we had some other folks who could carry the ball and I knew they couldn’t stop all of us.”

Indeed they couldn’t. Oklahoma finished the afternoon with a total of 283 yards rushing to go with their 225 passing.

Nose guard Lucious Selmon, a 236-pound standout, admitted he had been looking forward to the Texas game all fall.

“It’s real easy to get keyed up for this one,” he said. “I can’t explain why, but it’s one that we want to win real bad.”

Selmon probably paid the Longhorns the finest compliment by saying:

“They won’t lose another game this season. They’ve got a great runner in (Roosevelt) Leaks and they’ve got a really strong team despite the score today.”

Will the Sooners lose to anybody this year, Selmon was asked?

“We don’t plan to,” he answered quickly.

From the Houston Post, October 14, 1973…

RECEIVERS NO SURPRISE TO OU COACH

By Chuck Myers

DALLAS – The ease with which Oklahoma put the can opener to the Texas secondary here Saturday afternoon didn’t surprise Barry Switzer, the new OU head coach in the least.

“I said at the beginning of the season we had great receivers,” Switzer said proudly, “but no one paid much attention.”

Switzer was basking in the OU dressing quarters when he recalled his previous evaluation. The Sooners had just crushed the Longhorns, 52-13, and everyone was paying attention then.

Oklahoma entered the game as the nation’s No. 1 rushing outfit with a 386 yard average for three games. OU bombs just were not at the front of most people’s minds, the Longhorns included.

“We decided before the game that we weren’t going to let Texas play 10-man fronts on us,” Switzer continued. “We were going to go with post routes to open it up.”

“They are marvelous. Tinker Owens and Billy Brooks are the best receivers I’ve ever been associated with. They do everything well.”

Brooks, one of three players from Austin on the OU squad, caught two of Steve Davis’ six attempts – only one dropped incompletion – for 62 yards and one touchdown. Owens hauled in four for 163 yards and two TDs, one of them a 40-yard scoring shot from halfback Joe Washington. It was the Port Arthur Lincoln sophomore’s first pass as a Sooner.

“I had thrown a couple in high school,” Washington thought back. “All I was thinking about was putting it where he could catch it.”

A nine-year-old could have completed that particular pass, which Tommy Keel, the Texas safety who in the first half found himself on the hottest seat in the house, confirmed from the Texas dressing area.

“All Joe had to do was get the ball in the air,” Keel suggested. “No one was within 15 or 20 yards of Owens. He was not my responsibility on that one, but it wouldn’t have been any different I don’t think.”

“The next touchdown they threw was to my man. My assignment was to follow him all over the field. I honestly didn’t think they were going to throw it. Maybe we were all too conscious of their running ability. I just misplayed him.”

Owens was wide open for that one too, but Brooks had a bit more difficulty with his a few minutes later. Keel and Jay Arnold had Brooks sandwiched between them when Davis drew his bead with only 29 seconds left in the first half.

“I still don’t see how he caught it,” Keel said. “Both of us were right there, the ball just zipped between us. He made a great catch.”

Brooks also thought the Texas secondary did a good job on him then, but not most of the first half.

“I’d run a bunch of patterns before that and can remember wondering what was going on. One time I ran by this guy and he just looked at me. So did another one on the same play. It was like they didn’t think I was going to run my full pattern.”

“I guess we just really shocked them,” Brooks went on. “I can’t say they weren’t ready, but I do think the three touchdown passes in the first half hurt their thinking. It’s really pretty hard to say for sure, though.”

To a certain extent, Arnold defended his team’s pass defense preparation.

“Of course it was mostly our fault in the secondary,” Arnold explained, “but that’s not the average passing team. It wasn’t today anyway. We flip-flopped for different situations and it was a good technique. That was not the problem. We just didn’t shore it up.”

Texas coach Darrell Royal said all he could do was state the obvious.

“They were simply a vastly superior team all the way around. For the most part I thought we played well on offense in the first half. But they caught us totally asleep on three plays. If you think about it they didn’t throw that much. It’s just that when they did it was for a touchdown.”

“We weren’t even in the contest in the second half. You’ve got to give a lot of help to the other team for them to score as much as they did. We just surrendered the ball too much in the second half. On defense we didn’t put pressure on anything.”

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '20
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 01:37 pm

I was there with my wife and my old OU Frat brother and his wife.  After the game we went back to the North Park Inn where we were staying and wrote the score on one of their towels with lipstick. We then went to Old Warsaw, pinned the towel to the wall behind us, and proceeded to eat and drink to excess.  The next morning, as we were getting ready to head home, I took this picture of my friend and his wife holding the towel.  I still have that towel and have requested that it be placed in my coffin with me.

Attachment: Dallas with Slagles 001 73 (800x533).jpg (Downloaded 145 times)

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 03:49 pm

Was in the stands for that one as well. What a day!

I always wish that team had had a chance to play for the NC. Everyone talks about the 1974 team (and rightly so), but I think the 1973 team was better. The 73 Sooners were the nation's best that year.

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 02:58 am

:burningwhorns:(y):ou:

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2020 08:57 pm

47.........is that an Olds or Cadi ?

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2020 09:31 pm

WishBone wrote:
47.........is that an Olds or Cadi ?

In today's terms it's called a tank.:dude:

It looks like a ninety-eight to me.

ArmySooner
Administrator

Country of Origin: Potawatomi Nation
Signature: Pookie Poo
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2020 09:38 pm

Man we were just starting to warm up.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2020 10:35 pm

Blast from the past for me....

I was at the Tulsa Convention Center with a pay-per-view large screen TV feed. I'm guessing we had 2000 or so fans. Everybody was cheering as we watched the great Greg Pruit destroy the horns.. Lot's of great memories...:beer::D

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '20
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2020 10:38 pm

WishBone wrote: 47.........is that an Olds or Cadi ?
It's a 1971 Olds 98.  Dark blue with a  white vinyl top.  It was a nice car and the largest boat I ever owned.

Beerme

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2020 10:53 pm

47Straight wrote:
WishBone wrote: 47.........is that an Olds or Cadi ?
It's a 1971 Olds 98.  Dark blue with a  white vinyl top.  It was a nice car and the largest boat I ever owned.

I noticed your buddy/frat brother is giving the upside down hook ‘em sign.

Pneumonia Downs Nag

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 20th, 2020 04:00 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:

I was at the Tulsa Convention Center with a pay-per-view large screen TV feed. I'm guessing we had 2000 or so fans. Everybody was cheering as we watched the great Greg Pruit destroy the horns.. Lot's of great memories...:beer::D

I think you are thinking of the 1971 game. By 1973 Pruitt had graduated. I'm kind of confused about pay per view because 1970-1973 were all on ABC.

And I agree. 1973 was the best OU team ever. Just a shame we blew it against USC.

Last edited on Fri Mar 20th, 2020 04:02 pm by Pneumonia Downs Nag

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 20th, 2020 08:04 pm

Pneumonia Downs Nag wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:

I think you are thinking of the 1971 game. By 1973 Pruitt had graduated. I'm kind of confused about pay per view because 1970-1973 were all on ABC.

And I agree. 1973 was the best OU team ever. Just a shame we blew it against USC.

It's obvious my brain is short-circuiting again, Nags.

Maybe thinking 1975? It would have been when we were on probation and no TV. And...I'm not even sure I had to pay to get in to the showing...:dude:

Pneumonia Downs Nag

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 20th, 2020 09:18 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:
Pneumonia Downs Nag wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:

It's obvious my brain is short-circuiting again, Nags.

Maybe thinking 1975? It would have been when we were on probation and no TV. And...I'm not even sure I had to pay to get in to the showing...:dude:

Maybe they were allowed to do closed circuit when we we had the TV ban? I remember '76 was on ABC but '77 wasn't. I watched that one on closed circuit at the LNC. The LNC was pretty full and we cheered hard in our loss. It was a lot of fun though and we didn't have to suffer the Texas fans after the game. :lol:

The reason I was interested in your experience is that I'm really curious about the "closed circuit" history of OU and other programs across the country.

Current time is 10:08 am