Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > The suspense regarding the suspensions are killing me.

The suspense regarding the suspensions are killing me.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Feb 13th, 2020 08:08 pm

Well, not really, but I sure would like to see some clarification on the situation. L.Riley answered "nothing new" on his last presser. I'm guessing he's waiting on the appeal process.:big confused:

This is what I see and it's not good. Based on my guess it was weed and not peds.:

Remember none of them can redshirt.

Stevenson is a senior. He has 7 or 8 games left to leave his mark and possibly get drafted. Starting out mid-season as the 4th team running back he won't get enough carries to improve his stock. No denying he has huge potential. Too bad he can't get a red-shirt. Just a wasted career, IMO.

2Nd-year player Bridges may just get passed on the depth chart by 4-star Marvin Mims in the depth chart and I doubt he sees many touches missing half the season. I really hate this as he was my favorite 5* due to his on-field attitude and volunteering to move to C.B. to help the team.

The biggest disappointment has to be Perkins. He was one of the leaders last year or that's what I thought. He had an all-star type season lined up for him Junior year but I doubt he can achieve it in the abbreviated season. I could see him declaring for the NFL draft next year, but I'm not so sure he should with this hanging over him.

The only good thing or at least I think I'm right, is the ability to practice and contribute to the scout team.

:ou:

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Feb 13th, 2020 10:15 pm

Well there you go...young and dumb. I just don't understand how these dunderheads think they can get by with doing stupid stuff. Now they have to pay the piper. I just want to smack them.

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Feb 13th, 2020 10:59 pm

Key word here: "YOUNG."

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 14th, 2020 12:13 am

I think that you can go ahead and assume it was PED and a year suspension.....either you get it correct now or a pleasant surprise mid season.....

I just think if it was weed something would have been said or “leaked”

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 14th, 2020 12:42 am

Zgeo wrote:
I think that you can go ahead and assume it was PED and a year suspension.....either you get it correct now or a pleasant surprise mid season.....

I just think if it was weed something would have been said or “leaked”

I see the exact opposite Z. If it was or is peds that would be huge news and I think it would be leaked as a huge news story. Beside Stevenson has only one year left and I think he would be erased from the roster by now, which he is not, because he would be ineligible the final year.

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 14th, 2020 02:33 am

Possible.........:big confused:

I think that f it was just weed we would know....

FormerLonghorn

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 14th, 2020 02:36 am

Weed.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 14th, 2020 04:24 am

They may be young

but the dumb can cost players draft positions and big money.

:big confused:

JohnDa5id

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 14th, 2020 05:13 pm

My understanding is that these 11th hour suspensions were the result of NCAA-mandated "random" drug testing.

Has anyone found a website or other source that documents any similar late/post-season drug testing for other prominent programs?

FormerLonghorn

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 14th, 2020 11:44 pm

It was not an NCAA test that tested positive.

Last edited on Fri Feb 14th, 2020 11:45 pm by FormerLonghorn

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Feb 15th, 2020 01:51 pm

What I have read from various media is that Ronnie Perkins, Rhamondre Stevenson and true freshman Trejan Bridges would be suspended for the Sooners’ upcoming College Football Playoff bout against LSU.

Gabe Ikard, in another story, said that the suspensions come from failing an NCAA drug test for weed. From what Ikard is that it isnot PEDs.

It is an due to an NCAA test. Otherwise, otherwise the suspension wouldn't be under the NCAA rules.

The penalty for a positive test for a substance in the cannabinoid class is withholding from competition for 50% of the season in all sports in which the student-athlete participates. A second positive test for a cannabinoid results in the loss of a year of eligibility and withholding from participation for 365 days from the test.

To my knowledge, Riley has yet to communicate on the suspensions. I have read that OU has challenged the suspensions.

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Feb 15th, 2020 08:03 pm

Meanwhile, up the road in Columbus:

2 Ohio State football players dismissed amid rape charges
Two Ohio State University football players have been kicked off the team after being charged with kidnapping and rape
By
MITCH STACY AP Sports Writer
February 12, 2020, 9:05 PM
3 min read

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ohio-state-football-players-accused-rape-kidnapping-68932285

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Feb 15th, 2020 08:03 pm

DP

Last edited on Sat Feb 15th, 2020 08:04 pm by SoonerVikeThunder

Pneumonia Downs Nag

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Feb 16th, 2020 06:00 am

K2C Sooner wrote:

Remember none of them can redshirt.

:ou:

Actually I think all of them can redshirt.

Stevenson has played three years in college. Two at Cerritos and one at OU. I think he sat out a year before going to JUCO. Bridges played special teams this year and didn't redshirt I don't think. And Perkins for sure can redshirt. He has played two years.

In fact if it were up to me I'd go ahead and redshirt Stevenson for sure if the other RBs stay in town and stay healthy. And I'd redshirt Bridges if some of the freshman receivers work out. They need to figure out where they want to play Bridges anyway. Perkins is probably too good and too valuable to redshirt even if he misses half the season.

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 17th, 2020 02:21 pm

Well if you can redshirt and still play four games, this would only come into play with a weed suspension, and they could play most of their eligible games anyway.....then get a red shirt .....

I don’t think any of these guys has the patience to sit around for a year of not doing much ....it will be tough for them but they really have no other option except playing in CFL then trying to get to the NFL or XFL....

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 18th, 2020 02:15 am

247 has a blog article that pertains to the suspensions and the appeal. The whole read is great, but you have to scroll down to the "State of the Union" headline.

It basically reports the punishment is 6 games and OU is appealing it down to 3. The Peach Bowl would count as one of the 3. This is not official as far as I know....:ou:

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Lincoln-Riley-OU-Sooners-football-DeMarco-Murray-Jamar-Cain-143916712/

Current time is 10:19 pm