Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > College football is broken and shows no signs of being fixed

College football is broken and shows no signs of being fixed
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
StatesEye
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 17th, 2020 05:35 pm

I offer no opinion of my own by posting this. Just wanna make that clear.
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/shawn-windsor/2020/01/17/michigan-football-college-playoff/4492794002/

Fly
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 17th, 2020 09:49 pm

So the point IS?????????

My, My Fly:ou: :big confused:

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 12:42 am

This is why an 8 team playoff is needed...5 conf. Champs and 3 at large. Better still, 4 16 team conferences with 8 team divisions. The playoff starts the first conf. game.

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 01:44 am

WaddysWagon wrote:
This is why an 8 team playoff is needed...5 conf. Champs and 3 at large. Better still, 4 16 team conferences with 8 team divisions. The playoff starts the first conf. game.

...yes, that's the oldest & best scenario presented and I support it.
Have to give the 5 Conf. champs an automatic bid and 3 at large to play with them.
Pretty sure that's what we'll end up with eventually.

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

Pneumonia Downs Nag

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 01:46 am

WaddysWagon wrote:

You can say that again...:D

Triple Option
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 04:29 am

I gotta say, I agree with the article. And it's taken some of the fun out of college football. I mean, if you could take Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State against the field next year, you probably would do so. There have always been a certain number of schools that have ruled college football, but that number has shrunk dramatically in recent years. The 85 scholarship limit was supposed to bring parity, but it hasn't. And a lot of the reason is this line from the article - "What’s worse is that the best players are increasingly picking a smaller number of schools." I frankly don't understand that. I'd think more kids would want to go where they could play and showcase their talent, not sit buried on the depth chart. So I don't find college football to be as fun as it used to be, when the playoff seems mostly predetermined before the season even starts.

Manoewar

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 08:31 am

It is what it is ... he actually should have mentioned Texas, FSU, Florida and USC as an example of teams underperforming despite having a plethora of talent. This is about great coaching and getting results. Alabama was no where to be seen 15 years ago, in fact SC was the team of that decade. OU and Ohio State are the only programs that have remained consistently good over the last 20 years. The others have come and gone. LSU, Auburn and ND pop up every 7 to 10 years. Florida was this decades Clemson and in 2030 there will be change over but most likely amongst the teams I’ve mentioned above. I believe OU and OSU are in the best position to still be in the big 6 in 10 years and if Riley can get across the finish line soon the flood gates of recruits will finally burst open.

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 07:45 pm

Triple Option wrote:
"What’s worse is that the best players are increasingly picking a smaller number of schools."

It looks to be true. For example, Clemson will bring in 3 5* DL in this year's signing class. We'd probably have to have some of the coaches give up their first-born children to get even one 5* DL.

The rich keep getting richer.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 11:33 pm

WaddysWagon wrote:

If the premises of the article is true, and IMO it is, then you could have twenty teams in the playoff and the outcome would be the same. The NC would still one of the top five or six teams.

It's true that some of it is coaching, but the statistics don't lie. Who keeps bringing in the top classes year after year? The top athletes want to win it all and they are going to go to a school that proves it can win it all year after year. Unless you can change that, the result will be the same. Kindred to the definition of insanity....

Riley has done a lot for OU, but it doesn't solve the problem of the 5* D Linemen. When was the last time OU signed even one 5* D Lineman?

Last edited on Sat Jan 18th, 2020 11:34 pm by SoonerRick46

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 19th, 2020 01:28 am

SoonerRick46 wrote:
WaddysWagon wrote:

If the premises of the article is true, and IMO it is, then you could have twenty teams in the playoff and the outcome would be the same. The NC would still one of the top five or six teams.

It's true that some of it is coaching, but the statistics don't lie. Who keeps bringing in the top classes year after year? The top athletes want to win it all and they are going to go to a school that proves it can win it all year after year. Unless you can change that, the result will be the same. Kindred to the definition of insanity...

Riley has done a lot for OU, but it doesn't solve the problem of the 5* D Linemen. When was the last time OU signed even one 5* D Lineman?

Bingo. An 8 team playoff this year would have changed nothing. LSU would have blown the doors off the 8 seed. Ohio State and Clemson would have scored easy wins. The 4-5 matchup between OU and Georgia would have been the only first round game worth watching beyond halftime.

Last edited on Sun Jan 19th, 2020 01:33 am by SoonerTony

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 19th, 2020 01:45 am

My point is not that an 8 team playoff would be competitive as things are today. My point is that ensuring all conference Champs plus 3 at large teams are in a playoff gives hope and a shot at future success to teams outside the core group who are always in. College football needs to be a national not regional game.

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 19th, 2020 02:33 am

Just my opinion that 8 is too many. After the regular season and conference title games are played, there simply aren’t 8 teams left that deserve a chance to play for a national title. A four team playoff magnifies the importance of the entire regular season. Again just my opinion.

Manoewar

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 19th, 2020 06:21 am

SoonerRick46 wrote:
WaddysWagon wrote:

It's true that some of it is coaching, but the statistics don't lie. Who keeps bringing in the top classes year after year? The top athletes want to win it all and they are going to go to a school that proves it can win it all year after year. Unless you can change that, the result will be the same. Kindred to the definition of insanity....

Right on point and I mostly agree but have a slightly different take, What the writer is saying is party true but college football is no more broken than any other sports. Expanding the playoffs would only be a symbolic extension of what we already have.

ALL KIDS want to go to a place where they can win a NC but the top kids will go to a place where they can be developed into professionals and if you can win along the way it’s icing on the cake. An example of this is the talent gap between OU’s offense and defense. Riley is in a position twhere he can go and get most any offensive talent he wants. Losing a 5 Star QB would be devastating for most programs but he is still in play for another in the same class.

There are usually 2 to 3 elite teams in a given year in CFB. :ou: the last 4 years is a prime example of a very good team facing elites when they are peaking. We’ve hoped that we could catch a break and they’d have a slip up. ND and Regina are other examples of why a expansion isn’t necessary.

Look at the NFL championships and where all the Lombardi reside. Pittsburgh, Greenbay, 49rs, Dallas, and now NE. All of these tease teams dominate in cycles and they somehow allwats remain relevant and close to cashing in on another dynastic run.

In international Soccer you only see a select group in the quarter and semi final during the World Cup.Brazil , Germany, Italy, Argentina Netherlands etc, As much talent as the US, Russia and even China has they are rarely there in the end. For Japan, Turkey and Yemen its a pipe dream . championships are earned and then dna is cultivated.

Last edited on Sun Jan 19th, 2020 09:51 am by Manoewar

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 19th, 2020 03:50 pm

SoonerRick46 wrote:

maybe Tommie Harris?

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 19th, 2020 05:58 pm

Gerald McCoy although we have more recent DL players in the NFL...Jordan Phillips.

Current time is 09:08 pm