Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > College Basketball in General & OU Basketball in Particular

College Basketball in General & OU Basketball in Particular
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Brisket

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 02:27 pm

I have tried watching several OU basketball games this year & I've only been able to make it about to halftime in each game. I appreciate Lon Kruger for restoring OU basketball to respectability & for being a good man & representative for the university. However, this year's team seems lost.

On offense, they walk the ball up the court, then have 5 guys standing around the 3-point line; nobody moving, nobody setting picks or screens; nobody even trying to post up on the block. They stand around for 10-15 seconds, then whoever has the ball last tries to beat his man 1-on-1. The effort on defense isn't much better - certainly the effort to rebound the ball.

People complain about LNC not being packed to watch the games. Well, nobody goes b/c the games & the style of ball are BORING. Even Buddy's teams were hard to watch for long stretches of time. The reason the games were packed back in the day under Tubbs is because the games were EXCITING - high energy & effort, run & gun, full court press. Even if they were losing, they were still more fun to watch. I miss the days of Billy Ball, Tark's UNLV teams, & Nolan Richardson's 40-minutes of Hell.

This more plodding style of play seems to be pretty common across the college basketball world. I'm not knowledgeable enough about basketball to understand why the more up-tempo style of ball went out of favor, but I'd sure like for it to come back.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 03:22 pm

heck even the big guys want to stand around the 3 point line, speaking of basketball in general because OU doesn't really have a big man...

The post game is gone, drive dish to someone for a long shot or they then drive and pass to someone for a long 3 or... I've always been a big basketball fan but this year I just can't get into it for some reason, I think like the original post said it's the style of play anymore, and not just OU but almost every game and team seems similar, they are just better at it than we are.

Triple Option
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 03:23 pm

I agree completely about the speed of play. I blame the Detroit Pistons of the early 90's - Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, and those guys. They won a couple of NBA championships by basically playing tackle basketball. (OK, that's an exaggeration, but not a huge one.) They fouled so much that they changed the definition of what a foul was. So the NBA became much more rugged, with much more contact allowed, and that filtered down to college basketball, and contributed to a much slower style of play.

I loved that Kelvin Sampson got us to the Final Four, but I hated watching some of his teams play.

As for everyone standing around the 3-point line, I think that's in part an unintended consequence of having a 3-point line. But you have to think that's on the coach.

Last edited on Thu Jan 16th, 2020 03:27 pm by Triple Option

ClintA.Adams
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 04:55 pm

KU was without their leading scorer and still won by 14 in Norman. I really wish Kruger would retire as it's time to move on.

Crusher

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 05:09 pm

Basketball needs to go the route of baseball. Kids can sign directly out of high school, if they don't then they wait 3 years. One and done is stupid, both for the universities and the kids.

JackStraw

Country of Origin: If your head comes away from your neck, it's over.
Signature: IN THE END, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 05:45 pm

Bottom line is, we're just not much good and haven't been for a couple of years. Basketball is by its nature a gut-wrenching, agonizing sport, because with the 3-point shot, there's no such thing as a safe lead. I can recall a particularly painful game back in Billyball days when they lost to K-State in Norman; blew a 12-point lead in the last 50 seconds, or some such thing that made you want to plunge sharp needles in your eyes.

It was fun watching Blake Griffin, it was fun in Hield's senior year when we got to the Final Four (but the Final Four game was the worst in NCAA history), and it was even fun the first half of Trae Young's year. It's not much fun when your team's not very good and is losing more than they're winning (in conference).

SD-OU

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 05:56 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote: KU was without their leading scorer and still won by 14 in Norman. I really wish Kruger would retire as it's time to move on.Agree. It is time for new blood.

Pneumonia Downs Nag

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 17th, 2020 02:16 am

Triple Option wrote:

As for everyone standing around the 3-point line, I think that's in part an unintended consequence of having a 3-point line. But you have to think that's on the coach.

A lot of the reason for that is that OU doesn't have center. They try to play Manek in there but he's not center. He's a stretch four or a wing player. Doolittle is not a center. He's a power forward or a wing.

Kuath is not a center offensively. He is a shotblocker/dunker. If he were taller and bigger and stronger and could hold on to the ball he could be like Azabuike at KU. But he's not.

Nobody on the team can play post up in the middle against anybody any good. Manek can do it against second rate guys but against a real center? No chance.

Last edited on Fri Jan 17th, 2020 02:16 am by Pneumonia Downs Nag

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 17th, 2020 03:07 am

It would appear that Spring football can’t arrive soon enough, unfortunately.

gcruse7

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 08:58 pm

Good news! It looks like Lon read all of your posts and changed the team's approach. :lol:

They blew out TCU 83-63. I didn't get to see it, but with a score like that, I imagine that there wasn't a lot of standing around. Manek was 7/9 from the 3-pt line, which always helps!

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 09:39 pm

They posted an interesting graphic during the game comparing the NBA shot charts from 2019 and the early 2000s. Today, it's either 3 point shots or shots from right under the basket - hardly any midrange shots at all. I'm sure if you compiled shot charts for NCAA games, you would find the same changes.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 25th, 2020 08:26 pm

Looked pretty good today except for a little dry spell to open the second half.

Ref's are really letting them play, a lot of fouls on both teams not getting called.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 25th, 2020 09:02 pm

Close, one point win for the good guys.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Feb 1st, 2020 08:42 pm

bedlam today and Manek may outscore osu by himself, 4 minutes left in the half and osu has 24 and Manek 22 with OU up 40 to 24.

Current time is 08:53 pm