Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > ESPN Finebaum interview on new conference contracts.

ESPN Finebaum interview on new conference contracts.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 01:46 am

charliedontsurf wrote:
Joining an established conference would be a disaster, treated like a crimson headed step child. It's a mistake. We're better off being king of the worst power five than trying to intrude a conference with teams that have proven to be more committed, by that I mean the culture of the communities that develope these recruits.

...couldn't agree more cds.

Believe OKLAHOMA is a big enough "anchor tenant" in the Big 12 to insure the conf. is a factor movving forward in coming re-alignment.
Still think the very best course is to add two more teams & actually be the Big 12 again.
We can debate which two teams ad nauseum, and we have right here, several times before.
I've long thought AZ & AZ St. were the perfect duo, and pretty sure they could be persuaded, but I don't really care who the hell the Big 12 adds as long as they freakin' DO IT!
Serious, I don't care if it's Tulsa & Houston, BYU & Boise St., Louisville & Colorado St., hell pick any two.
I'm for ANY two additions. Get it done.
If the Big 12 entertains any hope of surviving it's got to be a two division conference with a CG.
OKLAHOMA HAS PROVEN TO BE, AND BE RECOGNIZED AS, ONE OF THE TOP 4 PROGRAMS IN THE COUNTRY OVER PAST 5 YEARS,
Even given the humiliation by LSU.
The SOONERS are a "name", they are a "brand" in today's vernacular.
They are a draw. People watch them.
OU doesn't have to go begging hat in hand to any conference.
OU doesn't have to carry OwussU, and isn't dependent on what Texass does or thinks. They ain't the lead dog. Their view never changes. Just like all the rest of the conf.
BIG, SEC, ACC, PAC 12, this is OKLAHOMA BABY!!!
You want to add the well hung SOONERS program, better be a good offer. Better smile when you make it.
OKLAHOMA's been a juggernaut in college football since the 1950's. (Yeah, OK, there were a few hiccups.)
I'm one of those who suspects the OKLAHOMA brand is big enough to thrive even as an Independent.
In fact, OU might could prove to be the single, biggest, most successful :INDEPENDENT EVER! IMHO
NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, I STAND WITH THE OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL PROGRAM. SOONER BORN, SOONER BRED! WHEN I DIE...

Crotalus Atrox!

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 02:46 am

We are all Sooner fans here but if we remain in the Big 12 we may never win another national championship in football. The conference is an albatross around our neck.

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 02:46 am

We are all Sooner fans here but if we remain in the Big 12 we may never win another national championship in football. The conference is an albatross around our neck.

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 03:09 am

WaddysWagon wrote:

...heard you the first time.

Respect your opinion WW, just don't share it.:cool:

And it's not like I think my opinion or yours really matter, we're just talking here.
I remember when the Big 12 actually rivalled the SEC as the best football conference. Not sure it couldn't again.

But, make no mistake, OKLAHOMA owns the Big 12.

OKLAHOMA IS THE BIG 12!
OKLAHOMA IS THE SUN THE REST OF THE PLANETS IN THE CONFERENCE CIRCLE!
OKLAHOMA IS THE GLUE THAT HOLDS THE BIG 12 TOGETHER!

(North wind blowing in about a 40 degree temperature drop tonight. BRRRRR!)

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 02:02 pm

I would love to stay in the Big XII and keep a viable P5 conference in the middle of the country. I'd like to hear opinions on how OU is going to compete with the B1G and SEC schools after those schools start receiving $30 to $40 million more per year....EVERY YEAR. Furthermore, the exposure and marketing of those schools by Disney/ESPN and Fox will only increase while that of the Big XII schools will decrease. This already has a negative impact on recruiting. I'd prefer that does not get worse.

This is a serious question....not intended to be rhetorical. However, OU will not be able to compete with platitudes upon the greatness of OU football.

Last edited on Sat Jan 11th, 2020 02:09 pm by StatesEye

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 02:45 pm

I expect we stay Big 12.....Big 12 changes somehow ....we do fine...win the Big 12 every year....get into the expanded playoffs every year....win a Natty when the stars align....same old same old,...

Last edited on Sat Jan 11th, 2020 02:47 pm by Zgeo

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 10:29 pm

IMHO the Only way for the big 12 to survive is to Merge with some or all the PAC ... Otherwise we don't have enough TV sets.. If OU gets in a place where they are behind in Money say a 30-40 million differential from the B10 and SEC then OU will be destined to be a has been. To Keep up facilities and recruiting OU needs alot of cash. Sorry .. I loved the Big 8 and liked the Big 12 ( Prior to the mass exodus ) ... Time Rolls on.. Adapt or die.. the age of pigskin Darwinism is upon us.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 10:58 pm

charliedontsurf wrote:
Joining an established conference would be a disaster, treated like a crimson headed step child. It's a mistake. We're better off being king of the worst power five than trying to intrude a conference with teams that have proven to be more committed, by that I mean the culture of the communities that develope these recruits.

Can you or anyone wanting to stay in the Big 12 financially justify how OU can stay in what this Big 12 has become?

We simply do not have enough fans watching on TV.

The Big 12 did its research in 2016 and found out there are no teams available that would not further dilute the Big 12 conference payouts.

There is to much low interest in PAC sports for it to be any solution....They look down their nose at our part of the nation

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 11:01 pm

captnop wrote:
IMHO the Only way for the big 12 to survive is to Merge with some or all the PAC ... Otherwise we don't have enough TV sets.. If OU gets in a place where they are behind in Money say a 30-40 million differential from the B10 and SEC then OU will be destined to be a has been. To Keep up facilities and recruiting OU needs alot of cash. Sorry .. I loved the Big 8 and liked the Big 12 ( Prior to the mass exodus ) ... Time Rolls on.. Adapt or die.. the age of pigskin Darwinism is upon us.

One big problem with the PAC is that way too few people care about sports.

California has a travel ban on state travel to Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. They would be a terrible match.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 11:13 pm

IMO, the PAC isn't an option either. While its correct that the two draws there are USC and UCLA. However, watch a few of their games. I used to live in California and attended a few games of both. In the far majority of the games, by halftime the stadiums are half empty. And those fans leaving the stadium aren't going home to watch the rest of the game on TV. Plus, the PAC is the worst conference from a competitive standing. Going to the PAC is not going to help OU, it will only hurt it competitively.

I said with the last re-alignment that OU should have gone to the SEC. I don't like that conference either, but I think we can all agree that to win NCs with any kind of regularity, you're going to have to be able to recruit from that conference/area. Yes, we would be an outsider, at least at first. But OU brings a certain history that a lot of other schools don't have and we would slowly being to reap the rewards of recruiting from the SEC.

Yes, there are negatives to being in the SEC, most of it travel. But when was the last time anyone other than the SEC (yes there is Clemson, but come on, they're parked right in the middle of SEC Country) won a NC? The only team of the last two decades was Ohio State and they did it once each decade.

To be and remain competitive, sometimes you have to make some sacrifices. So I guess we have a choice, take one of the easy roads, or bite the bullet and at least have a reasonable shot in a few years of winning it all every few years.

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 12:12 am

More money to athletics is a waste....no football program needs it. Eventually common sense will prevail

use that surplus money for nationwide technical training. Diesel mechanics, plumbers, electricians

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 12:33 am

StatesEye wrote:
I would love to stay in the Big XII and keep a viable P5 conference in the middle of the country. I'd like to hear opinions on how OU is going to compete with the B1G and SEC schools after those schools start receiving $30 to $40 million more per year....EVERY YEAR. Furthermore, the exposure and marketing of those schools by Disney/ESPN and Fox will only increase while that of the Big XII schools will decrease. This already has a negative impact on recruiting. I'd prefer that does not get worse.

This is a serious question....not intended to be rhetorical. However, OU will not be able to compete with platitudes upon the greatness of OU football.

...SE you know as well as anyone that platitudes are in my wheelhouse. :dude:

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 12:34 am

Zgeo wrote:
More money to athletics is a waste....no football program needs it. Eventually common sense will prevail

use that surplus money for nationwide technical training. Diesel mechanics, plumbers, electricians

...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 12:40 am

SoonerRick46 wrote: IMO, the PAC isn't an option either. While its correct that the two draws there are USC and UCLA. However, watch a few of their games. I used to live in California and attended a few games of both. In the far majority of the games, by halftime the stadiums are half empty. And those fans leaving the stadium aren't going home to watch the rest of the game on TV. Plus, the PAC is the worst conference from a competitive standing. Going to the PAC is not going to help OU, it will only hurt it competitively.

I said with the last re-alignment that OU should have gone to the SEC. I don't like that conference either, but I think we can all agree that to win NCs with any kind of regularity, you're going to have to be able to recruit from that conference/area. Yes, we would be an outsider, at least at first. But OU brings a certain history that a lot of other schools don't have and we would slowly being to reap the rewards of recruiting from the SEC.

Yes, there are negatives to being in the SEC, most of it travel. But when was the last time anyone other than the SEC (yes there is Clemson, but come on, they're parked right in the middle of SEC Country) won a NC? The only team of the last two decades was Ohio State and they did it once each decade.

To be and remain competitive, sometimes you have to make some sacrifices. So I guess we have a choice, take one of the easy roads, or bite the bullet and at least have a reasonable shot in a few years of winning it all every few years.
I'm coming around to this line of thinking, too. I mentioned that two-and three-loss regular seasons would become a lot more common than current. However, NC caliber OU teams would become more common as well.....and THAT is the main target for Sooner football.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 12:42 am

OU Chinaman wrote: StatesEye wrote:

...SE you know as well as anyone that platitudes are in my wheelhouse. :dude:

LOL.... I know Chinaman and I certainly would not want that to change.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 06:03 am

I’ve always said the SEC is the way... b10 is second.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 09:17 pm

captnop wrote:

As long as we are moving why not move someplace where we would not lose as many games, see a huge boost in revenue and help OU’s academics, which is why OU even exist.

Cheating is so rampant in the SEC that it would force OU to cheat like crazy.

It's hard to see OU signing very many more elite players than we already do from the old SEC footprint.

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 09:52 pm

If SEC you create a 3rd div and take 7 teams

Play 6 in div
Play 2 crossover 1 in each other div

Then play 4 OOC

Best 2 Div winners play for Conf title

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 09:54 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
captnop wrote:

As long as we are moving why not move someplace where we would not lose as many games, see a huge boost in revenue and help OU’s academics, which is why OU even exist.

It's hard to see OU signing very many more elite players than we already do from the old SEC footprint.

In my idea no matter which conf you choose you play majority games with current Big 12 teams. Only 2 crossover games per year. So record would likely still be good majority of years.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 10:20 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
captnop wrote:

In my idea no matter which conf you choose you play majority games with current Big 12 teams. Only 2 crossover games per year. So record would likely still be good majority of years.

If OU were to choose to play a majority of its games with current Big 12 teams OU would not receive the needed revenue that's going to be needed to keep OU nationally competitive with the top programs.

OU's best long term position is joining the Big 10 with UT.

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 12th, 2020 10:40 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
captnop wrote:

If OU were to choose to play a majority of its games with current Big 12 teams OU would not receive the needed revenue that's going to be needed to keep OU nationally competitive with the top programs.

I think you misunderstood. We would be a div in SEC and yet playing 6 games vs current Big 12 teams and 2 vs SEC. So getting SEC money but not in a current SEC team div it would be an SEC (Big 12 teams) 3rd div.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 13th, 2020 01:48 am

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
captnop wrote:

I think you misunderstood. We would be a div in SEC and yet playing 6 games vs current Big 12 teams and 2 vs SEC. So getting SEC money but not in a current SEC team div it would be an SEC (Big 12 teams) 3rd div.

OU is not going to be paid anything like we could be with a plan like that...Why, because other than OU and Texas the Big 12 average TV ratings are not good.

That is the Big 12's big problem.
Too many weak TV draws and small fan bases.

OU will need to play conference programs with higher TV ratings.

Last edited on Mon Jan 13th, 2020 01:51 am by Soonerheart1

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 13th, 2020 02:48 am

actually it's a twin headed Monster ... 1) like you said No one other than OU or UT is a big draw outside of our region...

2) the Big 12 doesn't have enough tv sets either ..

SEC and Big 10 want OU because we pull in a national audience ... They already have the tv sets ..

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 13th, 2020 03:38 pm

Shouldn’t cost that much to hire a couple of DT and a couple of edge rushers.....a $million each and you are only talking about $4 million, don’t need another $80 million......:lol:

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 13th, 2020 04:41 pm

captnop wrote:
actually it's a twin headed Monster ... 1) like you said No one other than OU or UT is a big draw outside of our region...

2) the Big 12 doesn't have enough tv sets either ..

SEC and Big 10 want OU because we pull in a national audience ... They already have the tv sets ..

OU & UT viewership would increase the distributions of both the Big 10 and SEC. But as you say "they already have the TV sets', which would help increase OU's TV ratings and value. The increased exposure helps OU recruiting.

OU ticket demand has grown softer. A better average home conference schedule could only help.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2020 03:10 pm

The governor of Oklahoma has issued ban on non-essential travel to the state of California in responses to their ban on California state travel to Oklahoma.

Other states seem likely to follow up on their own travel bans to California.

A deal with the PAC was already very unlikely but this should kill any thoughts that it’s a realistic possibility.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2020 03:28 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
The governor of Oklahoma has issued ban on non-essential travel to the state of California in responses to their ban on California state travel to Oklahoma.

A deal with the PAC was already very unlikely but this should kill any thoughts that it’s a realistic possibility.

Stupid California.

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2020 03:52 pm

A couple of thoughts: we are the poster child for cheating in college football so it seems hypocritcal to call out the SEC for such indiscretion. 2nd, as a season ticket holderI would much rather fly up from Houston to see Mizzou, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, etc., with crossover games with the Tide, Auburn, Florida,Georgia, etc. Finally, I am willing to come in 2nd or 3rd in an SEC west if I know that more often than not I have a chance at a national championship.

UtahSooner83

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2020 03:59 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:

Excluding sports.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2020 04:05 pm

UtahSooner83 wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:

Excluding sports.
I missed that...but even so this is not a cohesive atmosphere to create a good marriage.

Current time is 11:08 am
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page