Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > ESPN Finebaum interview on new conference contracts.

ESPN Finebaum interview on new conference contracts.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 06:24 pm

captnop wrote:
Most Likely OU and UT go together ... I can see UT going Big 10... We are talking 80-100 mil a year .. thats enough to make giving up the LHN to the Big 10 network feasible. If OU and UT go together then OU's southern recruiting is not harmed. The 600lb elephant in the room is politics.. Right now OU is bound to OSU and UT to TT ... like it or not .. both PAC and ACC have been willing to accept the little brother if Big Bro comes along. If we are talking about 100 mil a year then ND will probably fully join the ACC .. imagine an ACC with ND, OU and UT .. + all the other schools ..

The only hope either OU or UT have for the big10 is that the PAC is willing to take whatever they can get and agree to take TT and OSU .. freeing OU and UT to go Big 10. That currently is a long shot

In no way is OU politically or legally obligated to OSU in conference realignment now that Boren is out of the picture. Texas state laws are different and we could see attempts of interference.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 06:36 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
captnop wrote:
Most Likely OU and UT go together ... I can see UT going Big 10... We are talking 80-100 mil a year .. thats enough to make giving up the LHN to the Big 10 network feasible. If OU and UT go together then OU's southern recruiting is not harmed. The 600lb elephant in the room is politics.. Right now OU is bound to OSU and UT to TT ... like it or not .. both PAC and ACC have been willing to accept the little brother if Big Bro comes along. If we are talking about 100 mil a year then ND will probably fully join the ACC .. imagine an ACC with ND, OU and UT .. + all the other schools ..

The only hope either OU or UT have for the big10 is that the PAC is willing to take whatever they can get and agree to take TT and OSU .. freeing OU and UT to go Big 10. That currently is a long shot

In no way is OU politically or legally obligated to OSU in conference realignment now that Boren is out of the picture. Texas state laws are different and we could see attempts of interference.

Yep, Boren was a huge problem there.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:03 pm

If OU and UT go together then I like the Big 10 move .... I just don't what we'll do with TT and OSU ???? Neither Pac nor ACC is interested in them by themselves ( who could blame right ??) and the political forces at play, so far will not allow them to be seperated ... so ???

Neither OSU nor TT are getting into the Big 10 .... unless they are very desperate and the Big 10 is not desperate.

I hope you guys are right ... I don't like OU being tied with OSU ... the fighting Mullets can figure their own future out.

Last edited on Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:04 pm by captnop

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:05 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
I'd rather recruit from the standpoint of the being the most southern school in the Big 10 than being the relative outsider school in the SEC. And I think OU would dominate a Big 10 west.

I like the idea of being a southern Big Ten option for the more northern recruits.

But OU secures the OU Texas game and its recruiting exposure in Texas if UT moves with OU and we earn the type of money that keeps OU competitive.

I agree. I just don't see Texas joining the Big 10.
Texas academics are a much better match with the Big Ten, so are OU’s.

The western division of the Big Ten is a good fit too.
The Big Ten money represents a huge revenue and security increase for UT and OU.

You brought up the academic angle. Texas doesn't really need the Big 10 from an academic point of view. They're perceived as strong there and that perception is probably not going up by joining the Big 10. And their fans would lose their minds if Texas went to the Big 10. The president and the athletic director could go on a mission talking about conference money contracts but all their fans and donors will say is "we already have gobs of money, I'd rather keep playing local teams". I think it's more likely that Texas takes a group of local teams with them to either the ACC or the PAC AFTER OU makes a move.

OU's academic standing might improve by associating with the Big 10 though. I'm not 100% sold on the idea that athletic associations have a large impact on academic standings but OU certainly has more room to move up than Texas does. And while I'm sure a lot of OU fans would resist a move to the Big 10, I think OU's fans are a lot more likely to get behind it than Texas fans would. Maybe something like OU and Kansas joining the Big 10. That Big 10 west division would feel a lot more like the old Big 8 than any other move could provide.

But yeah, it would be better if OU and Texas moved together to the Big 10. I just don't see Texas doing it.

Last edited on Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:07 pm by tbmguy

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:06 pm

captnop wrote:
If OU and UT go together then I like the Big 10 move .... I just don't what we'll do with TT and OSU ???? Neither Pac nor ACC is interested in them by themselves ( who could blame right ??) and the political forces at play, so far will not allow them to be seperated ... so ???

Neither OSU nor TT are getting into the Big 10 .... unless they are very desperate and the Big 10 is not desperate.

I hope you guys are right ... I don't like OU being tied with OSU ... the fighting Mullets can figure their own future out.

Boren tied OU to OSU. Boren is no longer part of the process.

Last edited on Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:09 pm by tbmguy

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:08 pm

tbmguy wrote:
captnop wrote:

Boren tied OU to OSU. Boren is no longer part the process.

Amen. The OU President should do what is best for OU, period.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:31 pm

tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
I'd rather recruit from the standpoint of the being the most southern school in the Big 10 than being the relative outsider school in the SEC. And I think OU would dominate a Big 10 west.

I like the idea of being a southern Big Ten option for the more northern recruits.

But OU secures the OU Texas game and its recruiting exposure in Texas if UT moves with OU and we earn the type of money that keeps OU competitive.

The Big Ten money represents a huge revenue and security increase for UT and OU.

You brought up the academic angle. Texas doesn't really need the Big 10 from an academic point of view. They're perceived as strong there and that perception is probably not going up by joining the Big 10. And their fans would lose their minds if Texas went to the Big 10. The president and the athletic director could go on a mission talking about conference money contracts but all their fans and donors will say is "we already have gobs of money, I'd rather keep playing local teams". I think it's more likely that Texas takes a group of local teams with them to either the ACC or the PAC AFTER OU makes a move.

OU's academic standing might improve by associating with the Big 10 though. I'm not 100% sold on the idea that athletic associations have a large impact on academic standings but OU certainly has more room to move up than Texas does. And while I'm sure a lot of OU fans would resist a move to the Big 10, I think OU's fans are a lot more likely to get behind it than Texas fans would. Maybe something like OU and Kansas joining the Big 10. That Big 10 west division would feel a lot more like the old Big 8 than any other move could provide.

But yeah, it would be better if OU and Texas moved together to the Big 10. I just don't see Texas doing it.

Rumor 8-9 years ago when all the realignment stuff was going on was that OU, UT, OSU and TT were going to ACC along with ND.. ND went but not in FB and the other stuff blew in Deloss Dodds face because of LHN.. so we will see.. I do NOT want to go to Big 10 without UT because of Texas recruiting .. My gut tells me OU goes with UT again.. whether it's Big 10 or ACC...

I think it's possible Ut would think about the B10:

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Big-Ten-targeting-Oklahoma-Sooners-Texas-Longhorns-125965141/

Last edited on Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:32 pm by captnop

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:42 pm

tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:

Texas research would very much love to have the resources that BTAA collaboration would bring to them....In the long term this is worth a lot of money, even for Texas.

University administrators are going to know this and give a lot more weight to this factor than most fans know.

It's possible that UT insist that OU and Tech be part of a package....The others do not matter much to UT and could be occasionally played in the non conference schedule.

Last edited on Wed Jan 8th, 2020 07:47 pm by Soonerheart1

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 08:41 pm

captnop wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:

Rumor 8-9 years ago when all the realignment stuff was going on was that OU, UT, OSU and TT were going to ACC along with ND.. ND went but not in FB and the other stuff blew in Deloss Dodds face because of LHN.. so we will see.. I do NOT want to go to Big 10 without UT because of Texas recruiting .. My gut tells me OU goes with UT again.. whether it's Big 10 or ACC...

I think it's possible Ut would think about the B10:

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Big-Ten-targeting-Oklahoma-Sooners-Texas-Longhorns-125965141/

OU would be fine without Texas in the same conference as long as the RRS is preserved.

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 08:46 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:

Texas research would very much love to have the resources that BTAA collaboration would bring to them....In the long term this is worth a lot of money, even for Texas.

University administrators are going to know this and give a lot more weight to this factor than most fans know.

It's possible that UT insist that OU and Tech be part of a package....The others do not matter much to UT and could be occasionally played in the non conference schedule.

I've heard this argument before.

This is some honest questions because I don't know. Now that Nebraska has been in the Big 10 for nearly a decade, has their academic rankings improved? Are they getting more funding via BRTAA collaboration? Is there a comparative way to state exactly the effect of it?

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 09:26 pm

tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:

I've heard this argument before.

This is some honest questions because I don't know. Now that Nebraska has been in the Big 10 for nearly a decade, has their academic rankings improved? Are they getting more funding via BRTAA collaboration? Is there a comparative way to state exactly the effect of it?
There is not a known unit of measurement that I’m aware of....just that membership in the BTAA helps each university in different ways over a long period of time in ways that no other conference could for OU or UT.

Perhaps the biggest gain is a united effort to gain large research grants/ funding that may involve several different universities. Some of the scientific discoveries can have a very significant economic impact.

Nebraskans situation with the AAU was self-imposed but they say Big Ten membership has helped and open doors that had been closed before.

Last edited on Wed Jan 8th, 2020 09:37 pm by Soonerheart1

UtahSooner83

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 09:29 pm

The Big 10 would do wonders for our wrestling program. It is by far THE dominant conference nowadays.

Beerme

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 11:25 pm

tbmguy wrote:

I'd rather recruit from the standpoint of the being the most southern I've heard this argument before.

When Nebraska joined the Big 10 they were an AAU school. A year or two later they lost their AAU accreditation and I don’t think they are an AAU school now.

Last edited on Wed Jan 8th, 2020 11:53 pm by Beerme

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 02:32 am

Can’t go wrong with any conference move iMO......I do think Okie .st will be a legislated price of the move which is ok really....

GOR expiry will be huuuge......IdK any way Big 12 can get out ahead of this....shame to see the conference fold up......

The .s.e.c is really kind of a crappy conference outside of Bama LSU and Florida....the others are just there.....

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 04:05 pm

Last year TV revenue payouts per school for each of the P5 conferences were......

B1G - $54 million
SEC - $43.7 million
Big XII - $34.7 million
ACC and PAC - $29.5 million

I don't know if the new deal between ESPN/Disney and the SEC will boost TV revenue to $80 million per school. That may be a little too high but it will be north of $70 million per school for sure. You can bet that a new deal with the B1G will be comparable, and I doubt a new TV deal for the Big XII would be anywhere close to those of the B1G and SEC. OU simply cannot take on the competitive disadvantage of that kind of payout disparity. Facility upgrades, marketing and recruiting will become too uncompetitive. Either some kind of miracle will happen or OU leaves the Big XII in response to an offer that cannot be refused from either the B1G or SEC.

A move to the PAC would be disastrous. There is a reason that the Big XII has a higher payout than the PAC though the PAC footprint has a much higher population. The same can be said for the ACC. It does not matter how many eyeballs there are if they don't watch college football. There are only two programs (USC and UCLA) in the PAC that have a viewership market comparable to OU's and Texas'. Also, recruiting in Texas would probably be impacted negatively far more with a move to the PAC than either of the other two options. In fact, the other two options would probably help recruiting.

I read a lot of statements that the Big XII should get such-and-such school....usually based on some type of view that such-and-such school has a decent football program. That is totally irrelevant. What matters is the number of viewers. When the Big XII had Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M its viewership market rivaled those of the B1G and SEC. Add all of the PAC schools together (minus USC and UCLA) and you MIGHT makeup of the viewers lost when Texas A&M left......MIGHT. Furthermore, adding UCLA and USC to the Big XII wouldn't offset the viewership market loss of Texas A&M. Anyway, that was the kind of damage done to the Big XII when all those programs left. It was the end of the long term viability of the Big XII. I tried finding the study (several years ago) that illustrated all of this. I'll continue to look.

The Big XII programs are not alone in being in such a predicament. Those of the ACC (including Clemson) and the PAC are facing the same decisions. I mentioned a “miracle”. This isn’t likely….at all…..but possible. If a network such as Fox, or even better, CBS made a pitch to the current Big XII schools, USC, UCLA, Missouri and Nebraska to form a new conference, then the total viewership market of that conference would be comparable to those of the B1G and SEC. It would be a big risk as far as stability goes for Nebraska and Missouri, though……so probably would never happen. I know that the B1G has been in talks with OU and Texas (this has been publically affirmed by all parties) for several years to join the conference after 2025. Details of the talks are not public, though. Therefore, who knows if any deal would require both OU and Texas as a package. It’s also well known, though informal, that there is a standing invitation to OU to join the SEC either with or without Texas. I seriously doubt Texas would ever join the SEC. However, one thing cannot be allowed to happen……OU going to the B1G (or worse, the PAC) while Texas goes to the SEC. That would be bad, bad, bad.

IMO, I think the odds are that both OU and Texas move to the B1G if (and this is a big if) Texas can be convinced to do so. If not….then OU is SEC bound. OU in the SEC would bring a big adjustment to the expectations of Sooner fans. OU would be able to compete and probably win the conference…..sure. However, OU would not be the conference champions more often than being the conference champion. Also, two- and three-loss regular seasons would become fairly commonplace. That’s just the reality of playing in that league (especially playing in its western division) with the geographic and demographic limitations on OU.

Last edited on Thu Jan 9th, 2020 04:13 pm by StatesEye

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 04:52 pm

StatesEye wrote:Last year TV revenue payouts per school for each of the P5 conferences were......

B1G - $54 million
SEC - $43.7 million
Big XII - $34.7 million

Keep in mind that these numbers don't include the 3rd tier rights in the Big 12, which vary by school, and which I don't think any of the other conferences have. A couple of years ago, OU was receiving about $7M per year from 3rd tier rights. OU & TX receive a lot more from this than the other schools do. And I think the Big 12 paid out almost $39M per school last year.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2019/08/07/big-12-conference-makes-tactical-gamble-with-espn/

https://triblive.com/sports/big-12-revenues-on-track-to-pass-40m-per-school/

2 years ago
https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/sports-red-raiders/sports/2017-06-02/big-12-announces-record-revenue-distribution-348-million

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 05:07 pm

Triple Option wrote: StatesEye wrote:Last year TV revenue payouts per school for each of the P5 conferences were......

B1G - $54 million
SEC - $43.7 million
Big XII - $34.7 million

Keep in mind that these numbers don't include the 3rd tier rights in the Big 12, which vary by school, and which I don't think any of the other conferences have. A couple of years ago, OU was receiving about $7M per year from 3rd tier rights. OU & TX receive a lot more from this than the other schools do. And I think the Big 12 paid out almost $39M per school last year.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2019/08/07/big-12-conference-makes-tactical-gamble-with-espn/

2 years ago
https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/sports-red-raiders/sports/2017-06-02/big-12-announces-record-revenue-distribution-348-million
Correct. I just don't thing the 3rd-tier rights in the next round will makeup the $35 million to $40 million revenue gap between OU and the SEC schools. Texas is in a different position (much better one) with the LHN. However, even with the LHN Texas will fall way behind what the SEC schools are getting....even after considering 3rd tier.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 05:30 pm

A mid 40M dollar figure for OU in the Big 12 is a very long way from the 70M to mid 80M that being talk about for the SEC and Big Ten. Those figures would only go up if OU and UT were added.

Can anyone imagen OU fans ever chanting SEC SEC SEC?

We would quickly feel like a fish out of water.
The best match for OU’s campus culture is the Big Ten.

But regardless of what conference you want for OU I believe most OU fans have slowly come to the conclusion, to stay financially competitive OU must leave the Big 12 when the GOR is expires.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 05:39 pm

StatesEye wrote:
Triple Option wrote: StatesEye wrote:Last year TV revenue payouts per school for each of the P5 conferences were......

B1G - $54 million
SEC - $43.7 million
Big XII - $34.7 million

2 years ago
Correct. I just don't thing the 3rd-tier rights in the next round will makeup the $35 million to $40 million revenue gap between OU and the SEC schools. Texas is in a different position (much better one) with the LHN. However, even with the LHN Texas will fall way behind what the SEC schools are getting....even after considering 3rd tier.

IMHO all OU needs to do is tell UT that OU is leaving for the B1G. UT can't stay in the Big 12 without OU. They also don't want to take the blame for the failure of the Big 12.

They do not like the SEC. In the early 90's UT tried but failed to get A&M to move with them to the Big Ten.

For both OU & UT staying together is the best way to make the most amount of money.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 06:03 pm

the # one thing I don't want is to be the West Virginia of some other conference, that team that has to travel across country for everyone you play.

everyone thinks about what is best conference wise by what is best for the football team but you have to consider the costs and what it does for the rest of the sports teams. it's a lot cheaper, and less demanding to got to Dallas, Stillwater, Kansas than it is traveling somewhere way off to the northeast or far west.

for the basketball teams, softball and baseball ect.. teams a grouping of Mo, Ark, Lsu, OU, plus whoever is left makes more sense.

but, as I said earlier, I don't think we go anywhere, we'll sink or save the Big12.

I don't rule out 2 conferences merging into one and ACC/Big12 merger or a PAC/Big12 merger, take the majority of both to insure each can cut costs by playing closer to home in division but work in a conference championship type game then between those to divisional winners.

Last edited on Thu Jan 9th, 2020 06:04 pm by soonerBAS

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 06:37 pm

I still think the most reasonable approach would be for the Big 12 and Pac 12 to form some type of alliance (doesn't have to be a merger) and combine their bargaining power during this next round of contracts. I know the west coast doesn't love college football like some other parts of the country do, but even so, the Big 12 and Pac 12 together still control most of the TV sets and computer screens west of Kansas City (well, except for the 3 in Nebraska). I don't see why they couldn't use that leverage to get contracts on a par with the other conferences.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 07:36 pm

A PAC - Big 12 deal would still have far too few eyeballs watching which is the Big 12's biggest problem.

The money would be divided up by even more low contributing programs.

For OU to stay financially competitive the only solution is a move to the Big Ten or SEC.

I believe OU would win more games in the B1G and feel more comfortable in a western division of the B1G with old foes in Nebraska and Texas.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 08:12 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
A PAC - Big 12 deal would still have far too few eyeballs watching which is the Big 12's biggest problem.

For OU to stay financially competitive the only solution is a move to the Big Ten or SEC.

I believe OU would win more games in the B1G and feel more comfortable in a western division of the B1G with old foes in Nebraska and Texas.

As noted by these nubmers:
Big XII - $34.7 million

The PAC pays out lower than any other conference for a reason.
If OU/TX were to go PAC, at the very best, we would increase the PAC payout to equal payout to the B12.
Best case would be to sustain the B12, find a way to add a couple of attractive teams (Cinderella, where are you?) and hold on.
If not possible, you have to join the B1G, the SEC or the ACC.
OU and Texas both (or either) will bring something positive to the table.

charliedontsurf

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: "The problem with socialism is you eventually run out of ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 9th, 2020 10:15 pm

soonerBAS wrote:
I know when I am posting this that it won't happen, it's to crazy of an idea and a little to radical to ever get consideration. With the current setup of certain conferences getting higher payouts from tv than others and creating an unfair advantage, how about blowing the whole thing up? Do away with the current conference setup and go to a divisional NFL type deal?

Divide the schools into 8 to 10 team divisions based on how many would be needed to balance everything out.

no conference championships, division winners will be picked like the big12 used to... play everyone and whoeveri comes out with the best record moves on to play another divisional winner.

I know there are to many problems, how many teams are involved, who's in, who's out, how do you select which division who belongs to (the old Big8 division sounds nice) but with the money being thrown around there has to be a fairer way to divide it up so that one or two conferences don't completely take over.
I agree, I like 8 ten team conferences as regional as possible. The remainder teams 50 or so to sub-divisions that have the chance to move up to top tier to replace losing teams, like in European soccer.

WaddysWagon

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 10th, 2020 04:33 pm

Neither OU or Texas are restrained by their respective relationships with TT or OSU. I promise you, both schools will do what'she in their own best interests.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 10th, 2020 06:10 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:

I saw something a couple of years ago that if/when B10 expanstion happened they wanted to have contiguous states and were looking at Kansas as well ( BB)... that would leave 17 schools .. so if ND will not join the party ( who knows) they could offer Mizzou as well, which is what Mizzou originally wanted anyway. so we could end up playing UT, Kansas, Mizzou and Nebraska after they re-arrange divisions... which would be ok with me.

The big10 would be an 18 team conference ... so not sure how they would work that out ... almost need 3 divisions of 6 teams... have the 2 highest ranked division champs play each other in the Championship game.

Last edited on Fri Jan 10th, 2020 06:12 pm by captnop

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 10th, 2020 06:18 pm

WaddysWagon wrote:
Neither OU or Texas are restrained by their respective relationships with TT or OSU. I promise you, both schools will do what'she in their own best interests.

Now that Boren is gone that is. Boren was to OSU as Ann Richards was to Baylor.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 10th, 2020 07:11 pm

captnop wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:

I saw something a couple of years ago that if/when B10 expanstion happened they wanted to have contiguous states and were looking at Kansas as well ( BB)... that would leave 17 schools .. so if ND will not join the party ( who knows) they could offer Mizzou as well, which is what Mizzou originally wanted anyway. so we could end up playing UT, Kansas, Mizzou and Nebraska after they re-arrange divisions... which would be ok with me.

The big10 would be an 18 team conference ... so not sure how they would work that out ... almost need 3 divisions of 6 teams... have the 2 highest ranked division champs play each other in the Championship game.

Depending on how many universities the B1G added we could be looking at a pod system where there were crossover games.

Once we get past OU and UT several other current or former Big 12 members may be considered. KU, Missouri, Colorado and maybe Tech.

I do not believe Noter Dame will ever fully join a conference until forced...The B1G IMHO would take ND over OU. This is a big reason why OU needs to strike while the iron is hot.

charliedontsurf

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: "The problem with socialism is you eventually run out of ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 10th, 2020 08:09 pm

Joining an established conference would be a disaster, treated like a crimson headed step child. It's a mistake. We're better off being king of the worst power five than trying to intrude a conference with teams that have proven to be more committed, by that I mean the culture of the communities that develope these recruits.

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 11th, 2020 01:44 am

Soonerheart1 wrote:
captnop wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:

Depending on how many universities the B1G added we could be looking at a pod system where there were crossover games.

Once we get past OU and UT several other current or former Big 12 members may be considered. KU, Missouri, Colorado and maybe Tech.

I do not believe Noter Dame will ever fully join a conference until forced...The B1G IMHO would take ND over OU. This is a big reason why OU needs to strike while the iron is hot.

Do not worry about ND joining the Big 10. Do not view ND being strongly tied by geography in the way most colleges are. ND alumni are along the east coast and the fans drawn in by their Catholic affiliation and Irish mascot are more national than “Midwest”. They will go ALL IN at some point, when forced. And that will be with the ACC.

That said, going while the iron is hot is a good metaphor. if OU has an invitation somewhere, they should be taking it. It’s possible these valuations get so high that conferences decide dividing the pot by more schools is a bad idea.

Current time is 10:37 pm
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page