Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > ESPN Finebaum interview on new conference contracts.

ESPN Finebaum interview on new conference contracts.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 05:39 pm

There is no way the Big 12 can stay remotely competitive with the new contracts of the SEC and the Big Ten.

The SEC currently makes 46 million per university now...but according to this at the 21 minute mark the SEC will receive about 40 Million more... bringing the total per SEC university to around the middle 80 million figure.

Many expect the Big 10 to offer similar money.

By comparison the Big 12's last payout was about 38 million per university.

OU can’t stay in the Big 12 with this much financial disparity.

Go to the 21 minute mark
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=28436312

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 06:35 pm

Those differences in money will make a huge difference in the quality of facilities and marketing.

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 06:49 pm

I loved the Big 8. Have never been a huge fan of the Big 12. I would prefer the Big 10 if we move. Renew the old rivalry with Nebraska.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 07:38 pm

The best recruiting territory is in the South ....

Look at NU ... Texas recruits will flock to A&M ... their families can drive to Games in Arkie, Miss. even Missouri ... by contrast if Ou AND UT go B1G .. thats it ... the next closest games are Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota .. Sorry, if OU goes B1G recruiting will get Significantly harder...

As far as Nebraska.. They made their choice let them rot...

Last edited on Tue Jan 7th, 2020 07:42 pm by captnop

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:03 pm

captnop wrote:

I agree but besides the rare player how often does OU sign high ranked qualified players from the old SEC footprint.

The few that OU does sign usually have some type of
OU or Oklahoma connection.

The deep south culture is still a lot different than Oklahoma.OU would never sign many of the top players from that part of the nation who very much tend to stay near their home.

Last edited on Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:07 pm by Soonerheart1

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:16 pm

I was thinking more of the Texas players ... which make up half or more of the team.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:23 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
captnop wrote:

I agree but besides the rare player how often does OU sign high ranked qualified players from the old SEC footprint.

The deep south culture is still a lot different than Oklahoma.OU would never sign many of the top players from that part of the nation who very much tend to stay near their home.

Sermon and Hazelwood both came out of Georgia. OU won't get the same percentage obviously out of the "South" region as the other big name programs in that region, but OU has shown with their offensive reputation that can get highly ranked players there.

What OU has to do now is build up that same reputation on defense. If Baylor can play the level of defense they did this past season, OU should be able to blow away their results in the coming years IF Grinch is indeed the answer. Time will tell.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:27 pm

captnop wrote:
I was thinking more of the Texas players ... which make up half or more of the team.

If OU moved to the Big 10 with Texas OU is not losing many Texas recruits IMHO.

There are locations in the Big 10 where good numbers of
players leave their home state. Some are looking for warmer weather. We do not have that advantage over the SEC.

I don't think OU could cheat enough to ever win the SEC.

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:27 pm

80$ million in tv money seems like it is unjustified ....maybe college sports should be disbanded...

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:42 pm

"Get Off My Lawn"

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:50 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
captnop wrote:

Sermon and Hazelwood both came out of Georgia. OU won't get the same percentage obviously out of the "South" region as the other big name programs in that region, but OU has shown with their offensive reputation that can get highly ranked players there.

What OU has to do now is build up that same reputation on defense. If Baylor can play the level of defense they did this past season, OU should be able to blow away their results in the coming years IF Grinch is indeed the answer. Time will tell.
Hazelwood has major preexisting OU connections.
OU will always stand a chance with those types of players no matter where we play.

But the elite players of the type we need to win national tiles without a preexisting connection are almost always going to stay in the deep south around the programs they and their families grew up with and rooted for.

There are areas of the Big Ten such as Chicago, DC / Maryland and New Jersey where they do not have nearly the same local passion for college football and where significant numbers of players do leave for far away schools. IMHO because of these cultural differences OU could recruit these areas better than from the old SEC.

In this way we can add a few good recruits but have a lot more money too

Last edited on Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:53 pm by Soonerheart1

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:51 pm

how would this work, if OU went the SEC where each team is making 80 million would the network paying that have to pay more or would each team have to take less to pay OU?

wondering what the incentive is for all these teams to want to add one more to their conference?

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 08:53 pm

OU would get $100 million....

boomermet

Country of Origin: 
Signature: Nothing is genuine on the Internet anymore - Abraham Lincoln
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 10:43 pm

Would OU have to take OSU with them?

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 12:49 am

...I don't want to be in the stinkin' SEC, OR the Ohio St. conference, OR the Clemson conference.

By not adding two more teams, the Big 12/10 seems resigned to the fact that it won't survive any further realignment.

The fuse has been lit to blow it up.

I say, OKLAHOMA leads the way in restoring/reforming the original BIG 8!

Sayonara Texass, Baylor, TCU, & Tech. [cracking whip]
Maybe you guys could reform the SWC?:dude:

Check the pulse at Nebraska, Colorado, & Missouri if they were asked to consider it.
If all 3 wanted back, buh bye West Va.,...(but if only 2 of the 3 are interested might keep the Mountaineers.)

The BIG 8!
Still round robin 7 conference games.
A Championship Game Playoff only if there was a tie.
4 or 5 Non Conference games, more than all the Power 5 conferences.
A BIG 8 could dominate scheduling marquis nonconf. matchups.
Or 2 maybe 3 bye weeks and an 11 game season.

Imagine OU/Nebraska again.
Road trips to Colorado & Missouri

Think Fox Sports would listen?:cool:

(Hell, I can dream can't I?)

:ou::ou::ou:::rice:::D

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 01:20 am

Sorry that ship sailed Long ago... Missouri isn’t leaving an 80 mill payday and neither is Nebraska ... to reform the big8

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 01:31 am

captnop wrote:
Sorry that ship sailed Long ago... Missouri isn’t leaving an 80 mill payday and neither is Nebraska ... to reform the big8

...of course! It was tongue in cheek but I really think I'd rather see some alignment with the Pac 12 over any of the other three.

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 01:57 am

OU Chinaman wrote:
captnop wrote:

...of course! It was tongue in cheek but I really think I'd rather see some alignment with the Pac 12 over any of the other three.

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

My only quarrel with joining the PAC 12 would be having to stay up past midnight to watch the road games. I’m gettin old.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 02:01 am

Well I’m not particularly fond of any of the options I think recruiting wise the ACC or SEC options are the best moneywise probably the big ten

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 02:02 am

Do not want any part of Pac. It would kill the fans due to time differences and late games and that also bleeds over to press coverage. If a tree falls in the forrest and no one saw it, did it happen?

I know it will never happen but if you combined ACC and Big 12 you have a super conference covering a huge TV swath. Thats 24 teams!

Put them in 2 divisions each (ACC already is 7 and 7) so we go 5 and 5. Maybe at some point could add 2 more. Then play 4 your sub-div games and 2 from ACC side (one home one away) which is 6 and rest however 2 more in your other sub div. Keep a commish for each one (Big 12 and ACC) and vote in a super commish overall that runs 3 year terms.

Its far fetched and would never happen but TV money would be huge. Anything but going west/Pac

SoonerTony

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 02:11 am

Does anyone think OU could survive as an independent in football?

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 02:18 am

Well I’m not particularly fond of any of the options I think recruiting wise the ACC or SEC options are the best moneywise probably the big ten

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 03:36 pm

I'd rather recruit from the standpoint of the being the most southern school in the Big 10 than being the relative outsider school in the SEC. And I think OU would dominate a Big 10 west.

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 03:41 pm

SoonerTony wrote:
Does anyone think OU could survive as an independent in football?

Even Notre Dame, who believes their identity is tied to their independence, has their foot halfway in the door of the ACC. And I think it's just a matter of time before they go all in.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 03:58 pm

I know when I am posting this that it won't happen, it's to crazy of an idea and a little to radical to ever get consideration. With the current setup of certain conferences getting higher payouts from tv than others and creating an unfair advantage, how about blowing the whole thing up? Do away with the current conference setup and go to a divisional NFL type deal?

Divide the schools into 8 to 10 team divisions based on how many would be needed to balance everything out.

no conference championships, division winners will be picked like the big12 used to... play everyone and whoever comes out with the best record moves on to play another divisional winner.

I know there are to many problems, how many teams are involved, who's in, who's out, how do you select which division who belongs to (the old Big8 division sounds nice) but with the money being thrown around there has to be a fairer way to divide it up so that one or two conferences don't completely take over.

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 04:49 pm

tbmguy wrote:
I'd rather recruit from the standpoint of the being the most southern school in the Big 10 than being the relative outsider school in the SEC. And I think OU would dominate a Big 10 west.

I like the idea of being a southern Big Ten option for the more northern recruits.

But OU secures the OU Texas game and its recruiting exposure in Texas if UT moves with OU and we earn the type of money that keeps OU competitive.

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 05:47 pm

Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:

I like the idea of being a southern Big Ten option for the more northern recruits.

But OU secures the OU Texas game and its recruiting exposure in Texas if UT moves with OU and we earn the type of money that keeps OU competitive.

I agree. I just don't see Texas joining the Big 10.

OUBeliever56

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 05:59 pm

I have long thought that the big time college football teams (what is that, the CFA these days?) should be divided into 8 groups (A thru H) of teams with 10 teams in each. That includes 80 teams. You therefore play a 9-game regular season within your group. The top 4 teams in each group proceeds on to a championship bracket. (Normal tie-breakers.) That would result in 14 games for the final two teams. All teams in the championship bracket should play 12 games with some predetermined schedule for the losing teams after each bracket game. The teams losing can either continue to play the 'starters' in those games or work on next years team by playing only returning players.

The bottom 5 teams in each group also play in a 'consolation set of games that is predetermined so they play 12 games each year. Again these programs can use those games to work on next year team or continue to play the 'starters'.

Most all teams should end up playing 6 home games a year. The teams in the championship bracket that end up in the final 4 teams will lose a home game to allow for the semi-final and final games to be a neutral sites. After all they will be getting really bonus money for those games. Other than those bonuses, all 80 teams should equally divide all television revenue.

To determine the top 80 teams, the W-L records of all teams in the 'FCA' for the last 10 seasons should be used. The top 8 teams in winning % should be the #1 seeds in the groups. The W-L % is used to fill the groups in a logical 'bracket-manner'. There should be no regional considerations within the groups. Jets fly pretty fast these days. The teams and fans will get there.

Each team can play one game during the season to allow for the 'rivalry game' they chose. Oklahoma can play Texas or Oklahoma State or maybe even Nebraska if they are not in the same group.

At some point, maybe 4 years, the bottom feeding programs should be removed and other new teams should be provided a chance to participate.

But, it won't ever happen. It makes too much sense in my opinion.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 06:01 pm

Most Likely OU and UT go together ... I can see UT going Big 10... We are talking 80-100 mil a year .. thats enough to make giving up the LHN to the Big 10 network feasible. If OU and UT go together then OU's southern recruiting is not harmed. The 600lb elephant in the room is politics.. Right now OU is bound to OSU and UT to TT ... like it or not .. both PAC and ACC have been willing to accept the little brother if Big Bro comes along. If we are talking about 100 mil a year then ND will probably fully join the ACC .. imagine an ACC with ND, OU and UT .. + all the other schools ..

The only hope either OU or UT have for the big10 is that the PAC is willing to take whatever they can get and agree to take TT and OSU .. freeing OU and UT to go Big 10. That currently is a long shot

Soonerheart1

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 8th, 2020 06:21 pm

tbmguy wrote:
Soonerheart1 wrote:
tbmguy wrote:

I agree. I just don't see Texas joining the Big 10.
Texas academics are a much better match with the Big Ten, so are OU’s.

The western division of the Big Ten is a good fit too.
The Big Ten money represents a huge revenue and security increase for UT and OU.

Current time is 04:41 pm
Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page