Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > Music/Videos/Movies/Books > PBS Docuentary "COUNTRY MUSIC"

PBS Docuentary "COUNTRY MUSIC"
 Moderated by: sybil  

Print
AuthorPost
OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 02:19 am

...DON'T MISS THIS!

It's one of those documentaries you can't look away from.
If you ever had any affection for the genre of Country Music, ever felt a kinship with a Country Music Star or a Country Music Song, it's must see.

You'll laugh & cry and discover stories you never knew.

You'll wax nostalgic and recall times in your life just by hearing old songs.

You'll appreciate anew the vital emotional connection that music adds to culture.

Like Joe Namath once said,

I GUARANTEE IT!

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 08:14 am

Huh, I think it's almost over. Today (9-26) is the last night. I'm sure it will be repeated. I have so many memories and stories and Vince Gill teared me up tonight. You're so right, my friend, it was beyond excellent.

My cousin is in the Bob Wills Hall of Fame (Steel). I was an unpaid security guard at Garth Brooks first appearance at Tulsa City Limits.I've been backstage with Waylon and Jessie. Got ran off by the Hank Jr guards during that concert.

Sit with Johnny Rodreguis at the White Elephant Saloon in Fort Worth to sip a few. Nice guy. Met Ray Benson through my cousin, another nice guy. Met many old timers that played with Bob Wills. To many to list...

And here's the kicker. After my divorce in 94 or so, I started dating a good looking red-haired women from Ada named Dorothy (redacted). I broke it off with her to marry my current wife, (Billy Parker, the famous country DJ's), neice. The red-haired woman got mad at me for not making a break-out concert for her son.

The sons name is...well you figure it out. I don't want to "Voice" his name.:dude:

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Sep 29th, 2019 06:42 pm

I never could get into country music as a whole, even though there are individual songs I like. When I was growing up, country music was "The Porter Wagoner Show" followed by "Hee Haw". I couldn't stomach either one.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 05:25 am

MsProudSooner wrote:
I never could get into country music as a whole, even though there are individual songs I like. When I was growing up, country music was "The Porter Wagoner Show" followed by "Hee Haw". I couldn't stomach either one.

I'm curious. What kind of music do you like?

This presentation didn't have one country song played in it's entirety. Mostly just snippets. The main story was behind the scenes on how country music took hold and grew.

You mentioned Porter, but you missed the story of Dolly Parton. How she bucked the system and became a major star in her own right.

It starts in the depression era when Jimmy Rodgers introduced the 3 chords and a story, went into the honkytonk music, Elvis and Buddy Holly,Beatles influenced by Buck Owens, the Willy Nelson outlaw music to rodeo concert music that spawned Reba and George Strait. And way to many other stories to list.

I was like you, I grew up on Porter and such. Little Jimmie Dickens, truck driving music and do whack a do songs drove me to rock, mostly southern rock, though I did like the Bee Gees and some disco. Didn't take me long to go back to my roots.

I'll close by saying this presentation was made not only for us hard core country music fans, but for people like you. The non-fan. You really should give it a chance unless you're an opera or a rap fan.

Anyways, thanks for any answer.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2019 04:32 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

I'm curious. What kind of music do you like?

This presentation didn't have one country song played in it's entirety. Mostly just snippets. The main story was behind the scenes on how country music took hold and grew.

You mentioned Porter, but you missed the story of Dolly Parton. How she bucked the system and became a major star in her own right.

It starts in the depression era when Jimmy Rodgers introduced the 3 chords and a story, went into the honkytonk music, Elvis and Buddy Holly,Beatles influenced by Buck Owens, the Willy Nelson outlaw music to rodeo concert music that spawned Reba and George Strait. And way to many other stories to list.

I was like you, I grew up on Porter and such. Little Jimmie Dickens, truck driving music and do whack a do songs drove me to rock, mostly southern rock, though I did like the Bee Gees and some disco. Didn't take me long to go back to my roots.

I'll close by saying this presentation was made not only for us hard core country music fans, but for people like you. The non-fan. You really should give it a chance unless you're an opera or a rap fan.

Anyways, thanks for any answer.

I like rock, folk rock, British Invasion, broadway tunes and standards sung by people like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. In addition to the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkle, my music collection included everything from Glenn Miller to George Gershwin. I loved John Denver but to me he's more folk than country.

I grew to like Dolly Parton after she was on The Porter Wagoner show.

I used to say I liked 'Western music such as Sons of the Pioneers but not Country. But I didn't grow up hearing Country music much because my family didn't listen to it on the radio or at home. If my parents played music before I was a teenager, it was movie soundtracks, broadway musicals or music from the war years.

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Oct 11th, 2019 06:40 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:
Huh, I think it's almost over. Today (9-26) is the last night. I'm sure it will be repeated. I have so many memories and stories and Vince Gill teared me up tonight. You're so right, my friend, it was beyond excellent.

My cousin is in the Bob Wills Hall of Fame (Steel). I was an unpaid security guard at Garth Brooks first appearance at Tulsa City Limits.I've been backstage with Waylon and Jessie. Got ran off by the Hank Jr guards during that concert.

Sit with Johnny Rodreguis at the White Elephant Saloon in Fort Worth to sip a few. Nice guy. Met Ray Benson through my cousin, another nice guy. Met many old timers that played with Bob Wills. To many to list...

And here's the kicker. After my divorce in 94 or so, I started dating a good looking red-haired women from Ada named Dorothy (redacted). I broke it off with her to marry my current wife, (Billy Parker, the famous country DJ's), neice. The red-haired woman got mad at me for not making a break-out concert for her son.

The sons name is...well you figure it out. I don't want to "Voice" his name.:dude:

"Vince Gill teared me up tonight"

...Bet it was when he broke down singing

"Go Rest High on that Mountain" for George Jones at the Ryman.

Got me too!

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Oct 12th, 2019 03:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5qdfTIrOw8

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: