Posted: Mon Aug 12th, 2019 04:08 pm

some good stuffthanks!

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Aug 12th, 2019 04:29 pm

I think we're going to see a lot of redemption this year from a number of defensive players and finally get to see performances from ones that were suppressed by Mike Stoops such as Levi Draper.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Aug 12th, 2019 08:26 pm

The more I read/hear about the defense the more excited I get to actually see what they can do against Houston's offense.

Here are a couple of things that excite me. Go count the number of LBers we have who are in the 6'1 to 6'2 and over the 230 mark ... and are RS Freshmen or Sophomores. Go count the number of DE/Rush types that we have in the 6'3+ and 260 to 275 pound range that are RS Freshmen or Sophomores.

We have more competition in the backfield. Losing Norwood and the two Kelly kids, Caleb and Jordan really hurts the team in depth at CB, LBer and DT, but I think we will survive. Losing Norwood is the one that hurts the most due to his ability to play CB, Safety and Nickle.

I think Grinch is going to get the job done.

Houston and their new coach [who doesn't have much success against OU on his resume] will be a good test for the defense. We will know a lot after the Houston game. Hopefully, what we learn will be really good.

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Aug 12th, 2019 10:09 pm

Clint Adams wrote:finally get to see performances from ones that were suppressed by Mike Stoops such as Levi Draper.

Hopefully you are correct and i think you are.....but remember MS was gone after the Texas game.So some of the latter Suppression falls in other Laps.

Last edited on Mon Aug 12th, 2019 10:10 pm by WishBone

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Aug 12th, 2019 11:59 pm

WishBone wrote:
Clint Adams wrote:finally get to see performances from ones that were suppressed by Mike Stoops such as Levi Draper.

Hopefully you are correct and i think you are.....but remember MS was gone after the Texas game.So some of the latter Suppression falls in other Laps.

Given how many games into the season, I don't think they wanted to rock the boat. On one side, that makes sense, but on the other side, they were absolutely atrocious, so it was going to be difficult to get much worse. ;) This is the most interesting season we have had in quite some time in terms of going into it.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 01:03 am

From what I'm learning, a lot of "light bulbs" have come on for both sides of the ball. I never put too much stock in comments this early in camp, as some of it is nothing more that "encouragement" for some players to keep working hard. I think we'll know the truth of all of this in about two weeks. Don't get me wrong, I think there are some very good things happening. I've just learned to temper what I hear at this time of the season.

Pneumonia Downs Nag

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 07:08 am

Yep. Everybody is always undefeated in August. Enthusiasm and optimism abounds across the country in hopes of a magical season.

I love it!! No season in any sport at any level has the build up and anticipation of college football.

Manoewar

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 01:20 pm

Walt wrote:
The more I read/hear about the defense the more excited I get to actually see what they can do against Houston's offense.

Here are a couple of things that excite me. Go count the number of LBers we have who are in the 6'1 to 6'2 and over the 230 mark ... and are RS Freshmen or Sophomores. Go count the number of DE/Rush types that we have in the 6'3+ and 260 to 275 pound range that are RS Freshmen or Sophomores.

We have more competition in the backfield. Losing Norwood and the two Kelly kids, Caleb and Jordan really hurts the team in depth at CB, LBer and DT, but I think we will survive. Losing Norwood is the one that hurts the most due to his ability to play CB, Safety and Nickle.

I think Grinch is going to get the job done.

Houston and their new coach [who doesn't have much success against OU on his resume] will be a good test for the defense. We will know a lot after the Houston game. Hopefully, what we learn will be really good.

I'm so tired of hearing about the defense in the offseason. But this year I can say that I am actually hopeful the new news is correct.

DartmouthSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 05:55 pm

SoonerRick46 wrote: From what I'm learning, a lot of "light bulbs" have come on for both sides of the ball. I never put too much stock in comments this early in camp, as some of it is nothing more that "encouragement" for some players to keep working hard. I think we'll know the truth of all of this in about two weeks. Don't get me wrong, I think there are some very good things happening. I've just learned to temper what I hear at this time of the season.Hopefully, this is the year that my confidence returns in our ability to force a punt when we get a team in 3rd and 20+ yards.  Those 3rd and long conversions fro first downs are just killers, and I had lost all confidence last year that we would stop a team in those situations.

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 06:35 pm

thanks for the report (y)

Current time is 10:22 pm