SoonerSports.com link
Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search
   
Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Can Grinch's defense get more interceptions?


Can Grinch's defense get more interceptions?
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

New Topic

Reply

Print
AuthorPost
Triple Option
Member


Joined: Mon Oct 25th, 2010
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Posts: 2738
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 14th, 2019 04:51 pm

Quote

Reply
https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2019/6/14/18679015/oklahoma-sooners-football-defense-interceptions-turnovers-alex-grinch

ClintA.Adams
Administrator
 

Joined: Tue Jul 24th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 14464
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 14th, 2019 05:04 pm

Quote

Reply
They will get 20 or more turnovers this year. A nice improvement.

captnop
Member


Joined: Mon Nov 28th, 2016
Location: Somewhere, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 521
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 14th, 2019 06:31 pm

Quote

Reply
If you read the article ... It says over the last three years OU's turnovers have declined... So as Mike's Ds got less and less aggressive turn overs went down ( the article did NOT say this, it's my own observation). Duh!! So OU should get more this coming season because they are playing aggressive D again and hopefully forcing passers to make some bad passes.

Walt
Administrator


Joined: Fri Apr 13th, 2007
Location: The High Plains Of NW Oklahoma.
Posts: 14914
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 14th, 2019 07:14 pm

Quote

Reply
I'm positive that with Grinch focusing on turnovers we should get better at it. At the worst the OU turnover stat can't get much worse.

Johnnytrey23
Member
 

Joined: Thu Aug 16th, 2018
Location:  
Posts: 71
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 14th, 2019 10:59 pm

Quote

Reply
I enjoyed the article linked in the article in the op. It goes a little more in depth but is not OU focused. The tidbit on how to treat 3rd and long was very interesting.

echo101
Member


Joined: Sun Jun 8th, 2014
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 472
Country of Origin: US of A
Signature: "Official Clown Exterminator"
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jun 15th, 2019 01:59 am

Quote

Reply
The more aggressive the defensive line plays the more picks the secondary will get. Forcing the QB to throw early will cause more bad reads and mistakes. This is simple football knowledge so not sure what the big question is.

Johnnytrey23
Member
 

Joined: Thu Aug 16th, 2018
Location:  
Posts: 71
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jun 15th, 2019 02:48 am

Quote

Reply
echo101 wrote:
The more aggressive the defensive line plays the more picks the secondary will get. Forcing the QB to throw early will cause more bad reads and mistakes. This is simple football knowledge so not sure what the big question is.

Read the articles. The statistical correlation does not support that theory, even though it is a theory I have subscribed to most of my life.

echo101
Member


Joined: Sun Jun 8th, 2014
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 472
Country of Origin: US of A
Signature: "Official Clown Exterminator"
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 16th, 2019 01:22 am

Quote

Reply
Johnnytrey23 wrote:
echo101 wrote:
The more aggressive the defensive line plays the more picks the secondary will get. Forcing the QB to throw early will cause more bad reads and mistakes. This is simple football knowledge so not sure what the big question is.

Read the articles. The statistical correlation does not support that theory, even though it is a theory I have subscribed to most of my life.


I should have said "SHOULD"instead of "will". But yeah.. the more pressure from the defensive line the more apt their offense will make a bad play.

Johnnytrey23
Member
 

Joined: Thu Aug 16th, 2018
Location:  
Posts: 71
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 16th, 2019 02:27 am

Quote

Reply
echo101 wrote:
Johnnytrey23 wrote:
echo101 wrote:
The more aggressive the defensive line plays the more picks the secondary will get. Forcing the QB to throw early will cause more bad reads and mistakes. This is simple football knowledge so not sure what the big question is.

Read the articles. The statistical correlation does not support that theory, even though it is a theory I have subscribed to most of my life.


I should have said "SHOULD"instead of "will". But yeah.. the more pressure from the defensive line the more apt their offense will make a bad play.


Agreed. Pressure from the defense would be a welcome sight.

LD Jackson
Member


Joined: Sat Sep 12th, 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 55
Country of Origin: 
Signature: My best friend is my wife!
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 16th, 2019 07:58 am

Quote

Reply
captnop wrote: If you read the article ... It says over the last three years OU's turnovers have declined... So as Mike's Ds got less and less aggressive turn overs went down ( the article did NOT say this, it's my own observation). Duh!! So OU should get more this coming season because they are playing aggressive D again and hopefully forcing passers to make some bad passes.If you look back at the Ou/Alabama game from a few years back, the one OU won, when everyone said they didn't stand a chance, one of the main reasons they won was due to the aggressive play by the defense. The QB everyone said was great was forced into making bad decisions because he was being harassed all night long by Eric Striker, Geno Grissom, and company.  

tbmguy
Member
 

Joined: Fri Dec 8th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 203
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 16th, 2019 08:10 pm

Quote

Reply
LD Jackson wrote:
captnop wrote: If you read the article ... It says over the last three years OU's turnovers have declined... So as Mike's Ds got less and less aggressive turn overs went down ( the article did NOT say this, it's my own observation). Duh!! So OU should get more this coming season because they are playing aggressive D again and hopefully forcing passers to make some bad passes.If you look back at the Ou/Alabama game from a few years back, the one OU won, when everyone said they didn't stand a chance, one of the main reasons they won was due to the aggressive play by the defense. The QB everyone said was great was forced into making bad decisions because he was being harassed all night long by Eric Striker, Geno Grissom, and company.  


By about half way through the third, he was hearing footsteps before the ball was even snapped. I’ve rewatched that game more than any I have ever. So much went right that night. And yeah, that defense all over that QB was one of them. Bama also scored a lot of points that night too. Aggressive defenses will give up points. I hope our fans can wait until it all comes together under Grinch so they can see past the points his defense will give up.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator
 

Joined: Tue Jul 24th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 14464
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 17th, 2019 11:46 am

Quote

Reply
I couldn't care less about the OU defense giving up big plays as long as they are making more big plays on defense than not.

BlackwellSooner
Member
 

Joined: Fri May 10th, 2019
Location: Blackwell, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 90
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 17th, 2019 03:30 pm

Quote

Reply
ClintA.Adams wrote: I couldn't care less about the OU defense giving up big plays as long as they are making more big plays on defense than not.Yup, we are accustomed to seeing our D give up lots of points, so what's new?  The main thing is that we do not allow opposing offenses to grind out long, drawn-out drives which leaves our D spent.  Rather give up a big play one drive and a turnover the next than watch two marathon drives given up by our D.
I am optimistic about Grinch and his defense, but will have to wait to see the proof of the pudding.


 Current time is 12:08 pm




Powered by WowBB 1.7 - Copyright © 2003-2006 Aycan Gulez