Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams  

Print
AuthorPost
Refriedbeans

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 5th, 2019 04:07 pm

Noticed that UCLA is only losing 2 off the starting lineup.
They should be favored to repeat next year.

HighPlainsDrifter

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 5th, 2019 04:20 pm

Refriedbeans wrote:

It will be interesting to see if Garcia plays next year due to it being the year of the Olympics(I'm betting she makes this roster). Announcers mentioned no player in history has played college ball the same year of their Olympic participation. We'll see.

SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 5th, 2019 04:24 pm

HighPlainsDrifter wrote: Refriedbeans wrote:

It will be interesting to see if Garcia plays next year due to it being the year of the Olympics(I'm betting she makes this roster). Announcers mentioned no player in history has played college ball the same year of their Olympic participation. We'll see
If she does take a year off to play for the USA in the Olympics, how does that affect here eligibility?  Will it be like a red shirt year or will she lose a year?

Beerme

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 5th, 2019 04:44 pm

What happened to Syb’s original post?

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 5th, 2019 06:24 pm

SwampSooner wrote:
HighPlainsDrifter wrote: Refriedbeans wrote:

It will be interesting to see if Garcia plays next year due to it being the year of the Olympics(I'm betting she makes this roster). Announcers mentioned no player in history has played college ball the same year of their Olympic participation. We'll see
If she does take a year off to play for the USA in the Olympics, how does that affect here eligibility?  Will it be like a red shirt year or will she lose a year?

It would be redshirt as long as she has a redshirt available. Cat Osterman did the same thing.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 5th, 2019 11:10 pm

Pay no attention to this post - it's just a test to see if I can still post.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 6th, 2019 01:25 am

Next years roster:

Outfielders:

Nicole Mendes Sr
Jocelyn Alo Jr
Alexa Shultz Jr
Rylie Boone Fr
Alycia Flores Fr
Raylee Pogue Fr(listed as utility)

Infielders:

Eliyah Flores Jr
Grace Lyons So
Grace Green So
Audrie LaValley So
Sami Skelley So
Mackenzie Donihoo Fr

Catchers:

Lynnsie Elam Jr
Kinsie Koeltzow So
Kinzie Hansen Fr

Pitchers:

G Juarez Sr
Mariah Lopez Sr
Shannon Saile Sr
Parker Conrad Sr(if on roster)
Brooke Vestal RFR
Macy McAdoo Fr
Olivia Rains Fr
Alanna Thiede Fr

As far as outfield the given is Mendes in CF. We assume Alo will be the RF, but there is always the possibility of her back in the DP roll. My favorite to win the LF is Boone. She could be our future CF and future top of the lineup type hitter. Alycia Flores will be her main competition in my opinion. Lots of pop in the bat and very good fielder also. She could also be in running for the DP roll. Shultz is a very good defender but will have to prove it with the bat to beat these girls out. The wild card is Pogue. At one time was considered a very powerful bat. She has battled injuries and kind of dropped out of site but I wouldn't give up on her.

The infield is a bit of a rebuild and gets very young. Wouldn't be surprise to see a transfer here. The given is Grace Lyons at SS. 1B seems to be Grace Greens spot but with Romero gone she could move to 3B. If that happens Kinzie Hansen could start at 1B which would keep Elam at starting catcher. I would probably consider E. Flores as the favorite at 3B. She still has to prove it with the bat for me to be sold. But at the same time she hasn't had consistent at bats to prove herself. Donihoo could have a shot at 3B but I feel like she could be my favorite to win the 2B job. She would have to beat out LaValley and E. Flores. I feel Skelley could be in the mix for the DP roll. She could see some spot duty at 1B.

With 3 catchers it seems the competition will be between Elam and Hansen. This will be a big debate in the off season. My belief if that if Hansen is as advertised with the bat that she will be the starting catcher. She is a very good defensive catcher and might be the best total package since the days of Jessica Shultz. We will be deep with 3 capable catchers. I do not discount the fact the Elam could start at catcher, Hansen at 1st with Green at 3B. Hansen played a bunch of 1B for the Batbusters last season.

The pitching staff is deep with experience with Juarez, Lopez, and Saile. With the team going young this will probably be the saving grace. As far as the freshman go its a hard call. With Vestal red shirting and 3 coming in its going to be a bit crowded. One has to wonder if there could be a red shirt here also. Or future transfers for who loses out. Its hard to pick one out of the 4 as the solid favorite. Ask 4 people you get 4 answers. I'd have to give Vestal the edge with reputation and a year on campus. I'd probably go McAdoo next as she had a really solid year last year and moved up the rankings. I am hearing a mixed bag on her this year. Rains has a high ceiling and has shown to be a very capable pitcher for the Batbusters. But at the end of the year was kind of the 3rd pitcher(Nicole May OU/2020) was the ace. Thiede has battled injuries and looks like an OU lefty. Could have the best stuff of all of them but might have to work on mechanics. She is one that I might could see benefiting from a red shirt. My prediction on staring lineup for what its worth.

1. Mendes CF
2. Boone LF
3. Alo Rf
4. Green 1B
5. A. Flores DP
6. E. flores 3B
7. Hansen C
8. Donihoo 2B
9. Lyons SS

I really do expect a transfer infielder and we could very well see a 2B or 3B not on roster at this time.

I think an experienced staff will keep OU as a legit contender for the the world series. I think there is still a bunch of talent in the lineup but might be inconsistent with the youth. Also I would expect growing pains in the field at least at the start. The exciting part to me is its kind of a new chapter with new faces. Its going to be a reload, not a rebuild.

Last edited on Thu Jun 6th, 2019 04:14 am by cclift38

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 6th, 2019 02:52 am

cclift38 wrote:
Next years roster:

Outfielders:

Nicole Mendes Sr
Jocelyn Alo Jr
Alexa Shultz Jr
Rylie Boone Fr
Alycia Flores Fr
Raylee Pogue Fr(listed as utility)

Infielders:

Eliyah Flores Jr
Grace Lyons So
Grace Green So
Audrie LaValley So
Sami Skelley So
Mackenzie Donihoo Fr

Catchers:

Lynnsie Elam Jr
Kinsie Koeltzow So
Kinzie Hansen Fr

Pitchers:

G Juarez Sr
Mariah Lopez Sr
Shannon Saile Sr
Parker Conrad Sr(if on roster)
Brooke Vestal RFR
Macy McAdoo Fr
Olivia Rains Fr
Alanna Thiede Fr

As far as outfield the given is Mendes in CF. We assume Alo will be the RF, but there is always the possibility of her back in the DP roll. My favorite to win the LF is Boone. She could be our future CF and future top of the lineup type hitter. Alycia Flores will be her main competition in my opinion. Lots of pop in the bat and very good fielder also. She could also be in running for the DP roll. Shultz is a very good defender but will have to prove it with the bat to beat these girls out. The wild card is Pogue. At one time was considered a very powerful bat. She has battled injuries and kind of dropped out of site but I wouldn't give up on her.

The infield is a bit of a rebuild and gets very young. Wouldn't be surprise to see a transfer here. The given is Grace Lyons at SS. 1B seems to be Grace Greens spot but with Romero gone she could move to 3B. If that happens Kinzie Hansen could start at 1B which would keep Elam at starting catcher. I would probably consider E. Flores as the favorite at 3B. She still has to prove it with the bat for me to be sold. But at the same time she hasn't had consistent at bats to prove herself. Donihoo could have a shot at 3B but I feel like she could be my favorite to win the 2B job. She would have to beat out LaValley and E. Flores. I feel Skelley could be in the mix for the DP roll. She could see some spot duty at 1B.

With 3 catchers it seems the competition will be between Elam and Hansen. This will be a big debate in the off season. My belief if that if Hansen is as advertised with the bat that she will be the starting catcher. She is a very good defensive catcher and might be the best total package since the days of Jessica Shultz. We will be deep with 3 capable catchers. I do not discount the fact the Elam could start at catcher, Hansen at 1st with Green at 3B. Hansen played a bunch of 1B for the Batbusters last season.

The pitching staff is deep with experience with Juarez, Lopez, and Saile. With the team going young this will probably be the saving grace. As far as the freshman go its a hard call. With Vestal red shirting and 3 coming in its going to be a bit crowded. One has to wonder if there could be a red shirt here also. Or future transfers for who loses out. Its hard to pick one out of the 4 as the solid favorite. Ask 4 people you get 4 answers. I'd have to give Vestal the edge with reputation and a year on campus. I'd probably go McAdoo next as she had a really solid year last year and moved up the rankings. I am hearing a mixed bag on her this year. Rains has a high ceiling and has shown to be a very capable pitcher for the Batbusters. But at the end of the year was kind of the 3rd pitcher(Nicole May OU/2020) was the ace. Thiede has battled injuries and looks like an OU lefty. Could have the best stuff of all of them but might have to work on mechanics. She is one that I might could see benefiting from a red shirt. My prediction on staring lineup for what its worth.

1. Mendes CF
2. Boone LF
3. Alo Rf
4. Green 1B
5. A. Flores DP
6. E. flores 3B
7. Hansen C
8. Donihoo 2B
9. Lyons SS

I really do expect a transfer infielder and we could very well see a 2B or 3B not on roster at this time.

I think an experienced staff will keep OU as a legit contender for the the world series. I think there is still a bunch of talent in the lineup but might be inconsistent with the youth. Also I would expect growing pains in the field as least at the start. The exciting part to me is its kind of a new chapter with new faces. Its going to be a reload, not a rebuild.

(y)

FANATIC

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 6th, 2019 03:18 am

:ou: I don't next year's team will have near as many run rules but will still win a lot of lower scoring games with a very good senior pitching staff. How good bats are may surprise some people.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 12th, 2019 10:42 am

Patty mentioned in the interview with Hale that there are a couple of portal options at 2B. Also said the redshirt year for Vestal has really improved her.

Refriedbeans

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 12th, 2019 12:16 pm

Agree with CClift38 that this will be a fun group to watch.
Lots of new faces loaded with talent.
Only four months until the fall games!

Sooner Cal

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 19th, 2019 05:30 pm

Just a few comments. We must replace 3 outstanding infielders and that won’t be easy. If any of the newcomers can play 1st base,the job is clearly available. I’m a big fan of GG, but her fielding is nowhere near what they need at the position. Replacing Syd at 3rd will also be a challenge. Syd probably played over 99% of the innings during her 4 years so we have no idea who has the glove and the arm to play it. We may thing 2nd might be the easiest to replace, but CC made the plays when they needed them.

I’m also interested in seeing how we replace their bats and OBP. If they can, we will all be very happy.

I’m looking forward to next year. We were blessed to watch Syd and her mates develop. Now, it’s a new team set to make their contribution to Sooner Softball tradition. I think we might see some redshirts in this class, especially among the pitchers. The future is bright, but let us keep realistic expectations, aclass like last year’sseniors Comes along once a decade.

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 19th, 2019 10:06 pm

Sooner Cal wrote:
Just a few comments. We must replace 3 outstanding infielders and that won’t be easy. If any of the newcomers can play 1st base,the job is clearly available. I’m a big fan of GG, but her fielding is nowhere near what they need at the position. Replacing Syd at 3rd will also be a challenge. Syd probably played over 99% of the innings during her 4 years so we have no idea who has the glove and the arm to play it. We may thing 2nd might be the easiest to replace, but CC made the plays when they needed them.

I’m also interested in seeing how we replace their bats and OBP. If they can, we will all be very happy.

I’m looking forward to next year. We were blessed to watch Syd and her mates develop. Now, it’s a new team set to make their contribution to Sooner Softball tradition. I think we might see some redshirts in this class, especially among the pitchers. The future is bright, but let us keep realistic expectations, aclass like last year’sseniors Comes along once a decade.

(y):ou:

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 21st, 2019 10:44 am

The girls on Flosoftball seem to think there is a pretty good chance Garcia plays for USA and sits out the year for UCLA. There has been some chatter about Juarez and the Puerto Rican team. It would be a pretty good blow to OU is they lost her for the upcoming season. The thing here is they might not qualify for the Olympics.

RahOKU

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 21st, 2019 03:07 pm

I wonder if Garcia's Olympics commitment, sitting out the 2020 NCAA season, is part of the reason why UCLA has shed a couple of catchers to the transfer portal? They lost their starter, Halstead, to graduation.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jun 22nd, 2019 05:03 am

I’m hearing Taylon Snow to OU.

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jun 22nd, 2019 10:52 pm

cclift38 wrote:
Patty mentioned in the interview with Hale that there are a couple of portal options at 2B. Also said the redshirt year for Vestal has really improved her.

(y):ou:

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 24th, 2019 12:44 am

Olivia Rains: Tulsa World Softball Player of the Year

https://twitter.com/okprepsextra/status/1142573567248347136

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 12th, 2019 01:19 pm

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-softball/article232568297.html

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 12th, 2019 08:08 pm

Who is Julia Cottrill?

Refriedbeans

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 12th, 2019 08:59 pm

Looks like this is one that got away.

https://www.flosoftball.com/articles/6311856-signing-day-spotlight-no-3-recruit-julia-cottrill-signed-with-florida

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 13th, 2019 04:10 am

She is a power hitting catcher. There has always been a debate between her and Hansen being the top catcher in the class. OU was in on her but her dad got a job at Okie State so Hansen was the way to go.

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 13th, 2019 04:33 pm

cclift38 wrote:
She is a power hitting catcher. There has always been a debate between her and Hansen being the top catcher in the class. OU was in on her but her dad got a job at Okie State so Hansen was the way to go.

Thanks!

Current time is 04:17 am