Moderated by: sybil  

Print
AuthorPost
OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue May 7th, 2019 02:35 am

...as a comic book geek from the early 1960's, couldn't help but notice how the Marvel Cinematic Universe has become "mllenialized."

At the final climatic battle, the grouping together of all the female super heroines was a less than vague reference to the "me too" movement.

The white billionaire playboy genius Tony Stark,...they killed off!

The hot redhead Russian spy,...they killed off!

The Northern European Pagan God Of Thunder, they turned into a fat drunk recluse with crumbs in his beard!

A black guy, the Falcon, is now Captain America!

The baddest-a** of all is now a woman, Captain Marvel.

This whole cinematic adventure started with Iron Man, 11 years ago. 22 flicks later it ends with Iron man's death.

Like I said, enjoyed it. Laughed and cried, rode the roller coaster of emotion over the 3 hour movie from despair to inspiration.

It was afterwards, when I reflected back to my time as a boy reading & collecting the monthly 12 cent comic books printed on cheap newsprint paper. (You could finish reading one and have ink on your fingers.) It occurred to me how much the stories have now changed. Reminds me that they had to. 2019 ain't 1964!

COMIC BOOKS & SUPER HEROES WERE, AND STILL ARE, THE DEFINITIVE AMERICAN MYTHOLOGY!

I had at one time, the very first issues of Spiderman, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and the X-Men. Sold my whole 300 issues collection for a trifle to a Comic book Shop over on Western Ave, not far from the old Will Rogers Theater. But, that's another story!:cool::cool::cool:

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri May 10th, 2019 11:20 pm

OU Chinaman wrote:
I had at one time, the very first issues of Spiderman, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and the X-Men. Sold my whole 300 issues collection for a trifle to a Comic book Shop over on Western Ave, not far from the old Will Rogers Theater. But, that's another story!:cool::cool::cool:

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

I still have mine.

SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu May 23rd, 2019 02:53 am

I finally went to see Avengers End Game yesterday.  I had put off going while my wife recovered from cataract surgery and really tried to avoid the spoilers.

I thought they did an excellent job wrapping up all the threads from 22 movies.

Tony had to sacrifice himself because he was IRON MAN.  By sacrificing himself, he not only saved the universe, but he saved his daughter.  The hero of the 1st film in the series was the hero in the last.  My wife thought that it was to show that, unlike his father, he could put the greater good before profit.  Did you realize that I am .... IRON MAN was not only his last line in this film but his last line in his 1st film?

I even liked the cameo by the dead Stan Lee.  When I saw the 'Nuff Said bumper sticker, I knew what was coming.  I had to find out how they did it and turns out that they pasted the image of Stan Lee over another actor that was driving the car.

And to have Captain America dance with Peggy Carter - the dance he promised in Captain America, the First Avenger, was just too much for me, I did shed a tear.

Just call me an old, sentimental, geek.

Last edited on Thu May 23rd, 2019 02:54 am by SwampSooner

Current time is 07:58 pm