Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
jwsooner

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 11th, 2019 05:29 pm

I am curious is anyone on this boardbuys thefpotballbrainiacs’ donor content. I read their posting almost daily, but like most sports news, the pay stuff is already or soon will be available across the internet. So I was just wondering if anybody does buy it. I hate adsthat pop up on free sites, but I tolerate them so that I do not have to pay for content. Just wondering. Is the donor page worth the dollars?

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 11th, 2019 06:51 pm

I don't buy it.

Last edited on Mon Mar 11th, 2019 06:51 pm by SoonerinDallas

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 11th, 2019 07:15 pm

I don't because we are all going to know within 24 hours or less and that's been the case for a very long time now.

Sooner42

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 11th, 2019 09:45 pm

I do not pay. I have thought about it but on that site I’ve never seen anything two days late that would have been worth money. Until a recruit arrives I don’t really care if his mother’s brothers babysitter thinks he’s at 50% on coming to :ou: in 2021

Last edited on Mon Mar 11th, 2019 09:46 pm by Sooner42

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 11th, 2019 10:22 pm

That site was good for info at one time. Had some nice game brake downs that I liked too. Never even joined to post though since I don't like that kind of format. It started getting pretty bland after a while though and started going there less and less. Quit altogether when they started doing the donor thing. I only go there now when someone posts a link that takes me there.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 11th, 2019 11:20 pm

Who needs TFB when we have Walt tell us who it is right after the ::bignews:: come out.:dude:

And 47 and others post all the great current articles on OU.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 02:42 am

Making this post will likely make me out to be the only dummy on this board. Yes, I do have a donor account with TFB. Would I recommend it to any of my friends ... well no.

When TFB first started I liked what they were doing. I thought they were doing pretty good. Then when they started the donor side I thought this might be ok. The reality is that their content is going in the wrong direction.

I think it is the drive to have information out there on a daily basis. what they have been doing on the donor site is that they will talk with some OU recruit or some kid who OU isn't recruiting. They will tell you "we talked to blah" and we will give you a run down in the next couple of days. So, they start out with meager information and try to drag it our for a few days.

Then they seem to enjoy touting some recruit they like and then questioning the OU coaches as to why they aren't recruiting this kid. That makes no sense to me.

On quite a few occasions I have suggested that the format of their site is trash and suggested that they needed a format like Soonertimesbb.com instead of the piece of trash site they have.

Their site every day winds up with a bunch of independent post by lots of people that don't mean a thing. It is just gibberish for the most part. You have to sort through 50 or more posts to find anything worth reading.

Over the years, I have had an account with several pay boards. The Rivals site is as good as any of them. However, they just aren't worth the effort and/or the money.

I have thought about cancelling my account and I may just do that. I really don't know why I stay hooked with them. Bottom line is not one of the pay sites I have used over the years are worth much.

Honestly, I have a couple of old friends who are sort of connected to the OU football program. Over the years I have gotten better information from them.

Then we have our board football guru Rick who has as good of information as TFB. And Rick's write ups are as good as anywhere else including TFB.

So, there you go.

gcruse7

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 03:52 am

Walt, speaking of our local guru Rick, I agree his stuff is solid gold. I think to keep him from getting poached, you should double his salary this year.

And as a show of good faith, I'll double my donation to Soonertimes to help cover the cost!

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 12:26 pm

Walt wrote:
Making this post will likely make me out to be the only dummy on this board.

Walt, you are really leaving yourself open with that statement on this here board! :lol:

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 12:29 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
Walt wrote:
Making this post will likely make me out to be the only dummy on this board.

Walt, you are really leaving yourself open with that statement on this here board! :lol:

My only defense is that the truth is the truth. :cool:

I've never been one to hold back on what I think. Kind of like Harry Truman. I don't give people hell, I just tell them then truth and they think it is hell! :-$

OUMonster

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 02:21 pm

Walt wrote: Making this post will likely make me out to be the only dummy on this board. Yes, I do have a donor account with TFB. Would I recommend it to any of my friends ... well no.

When TFB first started I liked what they were doing. I thought they were doing pretty good. Then when they started the donor side I thought this might be ok. The reality is that their content is going in the wrong direction.

I think it is the drive to have information out there on a daily basis. what they have been doing on the donor site is that they will talk with some OU recruit or some kid who OU isn't recruiting. They will tell you "we talked to blah" and we will give you a run down in the next couple of days. So, they start out with meager information and try to drag it our for a few days.

Then they seem to enjoy touting some recruit they like and then questioning the OU coaches as to why they aren't recruiting this kid. That makes no sense to me.

On quite a few occasions I have suggested that the format of their site is trash and suggested that they needed a format like Soonertimesbb.com instead of the piece of trash site they have.

Their site every day winds up with a bunch of independent post by lots of people that don't mean a thing. It is just gibberish for the most part. You have to sort through 50 or more posts to find anything worth reading.

Over the years, I have had an account with several pay boards. The Rivals site is as good as any of them. However, they just aren't worth the effort and/or the money.

I have thought about cancelling my account and I may just do that. I really don't know why I stay hooked with them. Bottom line is not one of the pay sites I have used over the years are worth much.

Honestly, I have a couple of old friends who are sort of connected to the OU football program. Over the years I have gotten better information from them.

Then we have our board football guru Rick who has as good of information as TFB. And Rick's write ups are as good as anywhere else including TFB.

So, there you go.  

I also have a donor account at TFB and agree with all this.  Most of the time the info they provide is just space and time filling because things are just slow.  I do, however, enjoy getting good recruiting and team info ASAP when it’s actually there.  So the $7/mo is basically for my entertainment and a browser escape from work a few times a day.  It doesn’t give me a wealth of OU knowledge that everyone won’t get anyway.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 06:27 pm

OUMonster wrote:
Walt wrote: Making this post will likely make me out to be the only dummy on this board. Yes, I do have a donor account with TFB. Would I recommend it to any of my friends ... well no.

So, there you go.  

I also have a donor account at TFB and agree with all this.  Most of the time the info they provide is just space and time filling because things are just slow.  I do, however, enjoy getting good recruiting and team info ASAP when it’s actually there.  So the $7/mo is basically for my entertainment and a browser escape from work a few times a day.  It doesn’t give me a wealth of OU knowledge that everyone won’t get anyway.

Monster, good for some verification. I do on an occasion run across a practice story that is good. My guess is you do find some write ups that are decent reads. A couple of the practice write ups have some content that is from players. All of that stuff is really encouraging. And, you are correct that it we are in a pretty dead period. No open practices so just information from practice is always a good read. Still doesn't put it in a good investment category.

Current time is 03:48 am