Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Where's the Beef?

Where's the Beef?
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 03:57 am

Is anybody else worried about this emphasis on speed versus bulk? I just can't see messing with Ronnie Perkins weight. He's not the problem. It's the players around him.

And what about increasing weight on defensive backs? Will they lose speed that's needed against the Big 12 offenses.

If the speed D fails at the line of scrimmage I can see some huge gains into the secondary. 375-pound offensive lineman pancaking a smaller D.L.

Just a thought. What do you think?

Oh, disclamier.. trust Lincoln and Grinch and yes remember what we put on the field with Mike.

:dude:

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 01:29 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:
Is anybody else worried about this emphasis on speed versus bulk? I just can't see messing with Ronnie Perkins weight. He's not the problem. It's the players around him.

And what about increasing weight on defensive backs? Will they lose speed that's needed against the Big 12 offenses.

If the speed D fails at the line of scrimmage I can see some huge gains into the secondary. 375-pound offensive lineman pancaking a smaller D.L.

Just a thought. What do you think?

Oh, disclamier.. trust Lincoln and Grinch and yes remember what we put on the field with Mike.

:dude:

Great post.

Just what I expected. :big confused:

Fans bitch and moan about the past coaches who were losers and just plain ole sorry coaches and their schemes were trash and they were mean to the players ... and, and after six years of bashing the coaches and, and after six years of praying, hoping, wanting the old coaches to be fired as they were ... well they were just plain old pond scum and, and they were traitors and only got their job due to nepotism by the head coach ... well and, and they just played their favorite coaches, ... well and, and we will be so happy when Lincoln Riley get the guts and, and ... well he fires them.

Now, after we all get what we want. We get a new $1,400,000 dollar DC and some new coachs and ... well and, and after getting to watch 20 minutes of his first Spring Practice ... and, and well we want to question his and to 2nd guess his... and well, and, and why is he wanting his DL to lose a "couple" of pounds to get faster and, and ... well why is he doing this. :soonermad:

:lol:

Can't we just allow Grinch a little time to see what his product will be on the field. Can't we just wait to question his methods until we "actually" see what he produces?

I really don't care what his methods might be like. I don't care if he calls his defensive "Speed D". I don't care if some of his DTs lost a couple of pounds. I don't care if a couple of DBs gain a a couple of pounds.

All I care about is the product that Grinch and the new coaches put on the field. It is the product that Grinch puts on the field that is important. The product he puts on the field is the only thing that matters.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Grinch is at the "very beginning" of building an OU defense that play a huge part in this OU coaching staff in getting the OU football program to the next level.

End of rant. :P

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 01:30 pm

FIRE GRINCH!!!

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 03:39 pm

I'm not an X and O's expert...not by a long way. I'm also not an expert on the details of playing technique for the various positions. I do know this, though. What matters most along the LOS (everywhere, actually) is speed to the point of attack where superior leverage can be established. Then, superior strength can be applied to that leverage to maintain position to disrupt/stop the play. Size matters but it is only part of leverage. Getting to the best spot on the field to defend the play and establishing and maintaining that leverage (with size AND strength) at that point is more important, IMO. Think of it as capturing and maintaining the high ground in a military engagement....a smaller force can easily take the battlefield. This is something OU's defense has been woeful in accomplishing the last couple of years (poor tackling is more of a result of this, not the primary cause of bad defense).

I'll also add that the Clemson and Alabama defenses play this exact way....speed D. They just happen to have the superior size, too....so they don't have to take as many risks (shoot gaps) like OU's defense will probably have to do....until we also get the size. Mike tried to build an Alabama defense but neglected the speed aspect, IMO.

BTW, anyone watch that Alabama DT run the 40 at the combine? He's a freak of nature.....there just are not that many. If Grinch can show that excellent defensive coaching has returned to OU, we'll start landing those types again.

Last edited on Fri Mar 8th, 2019 03:49 pm by StatesEye

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 03:53 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:
Is anybody else worried about this emphasis on speed versus bulk? . . . If the speed D fails at the line of scrimmage I can see some huge gains into the secondary. 375-pound offensive lineman pancaking a smaller D.L.

And SwampSooner said in another thread, which I'm just folding into this one:

SwampSooner wrote:
Just a thought, but if your D-lineman are smaller than the opposition's O-linemen, what keeps the opponent from lining up and blowing you off the ball (ala Alabama)?
That's one of the first things I thought of too. But then, I thought of two other things. One, I'm just going to take a wild guess that Lincoln has already considered this point. And two, Georgia and Alabama pretty much did this to us anyway in our last two playoff games, so I'm not sure we're risking anything or that we have much to lose on this count.

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 05:40 pm

I haven’t thrown in the towel on the new defense yet.....I guess I am slow and probably stuck on the idea that a few changes make a big difference

Making interceptions when the ball is in your hands will make a big difference

Tackling and wrapping up will make a big difference

I will be patient , If we go undefeated and win a natty I won’t complain

Last edited on Fri Mar 8th, 2019 05:41 pm by Zgeo

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 05:50 pm

No Walt, I can’t wait. I can’t wait because I’m excited to see this new D. Everything Grinch is preaching is what I’ve been asking for for several years.

I don’t doubt some people will lose their minds though the first time (or first several times) that this defense gives up a big play which will happen.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 06:49 pm

Yet Walt posted on this thread about "a Brick Wall". I said Where's the Beef. He says Brick wall. Same thing to me.:big confused:

http://www.soonertimesbb.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=33236&forum_id=2

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 06:49 pm

Edit: Dreaded double post. I'll just replace it with a gif about building a brick wall.:dude:

Last edited on Fri Mar 8th, 2019 06:57 pm by K2C Sooner

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 06:52 pm

I have zero issues with the defense giving up big plays as long as the big plays the defense makes outnumber the big plays given up. I've always been a big fan of high risk / high reward defenses. Make the QB hear footsteps. Make the QB hesitant. Make the QB want to quit football.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 07:39 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
I have zero issues with the defense giving up big plays as long as the big plays the defense makes outnumber the big plays given up. I've always been a big fan of high risk / high reward defenses. Make the QB hear footsteps. Make the QB hesitant. Make the QB want to quit football.
I agree Clint. Even the best defenses give up big plays to good offenses in today's football anyway, so we might as well emphasize turnovers and big losses, even if it means giving up a score sometimes. They were probably going to score eventually anyway.

Continuing that logic, I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't onside kick every time. You might give up 15 yards or so of field position, but you also might recover it about 20% of the time (http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2009/09/onside-kicks.html). That would be the equivalent of getting a turnover on the opponent's side of the field every 5th possession.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 07:43 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:
Yet Walt posted on this thread about "a Brick Wall". I said Where's the Beef. He says Brick wall. Same thing to me.:big confused:

;), My "Brick wall .............." comment was directed at players were so enthusiastic about the new DC etc that it sounded like they would run through a "brick wall" for Grinch.

I was being complimentary to the new DC and players. Not questioning his methods and/or what he has/is doing.

Actually, you were the perfect "straight man" for what I posted. I have actually been watching and waiting for the first negative story or criticism of Grinch. Honestly, it took longer than I thought.

For the record, it wasn't about players "losing" weight as it was about players reducing the fat content of their bodies as in slimming in and building strength at the same time.

That sounds like a good thing to me. This isn't a game where the goal is to put guys on the filed weighing 400 pounds with 30% of it being fat.

Besides, muscle is more dense than fat. So, in most of the cases I have seen of the weight changes what has happened that some of these guys have simply traded fat for muscle.

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 09:08 pm

Walt wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:

;), My "Brick wall .............." comment was directed at players were so enthusiastic about the new DC etc that it sounded like they would run through a "brick wall" for Grinch.

I was being complimentary to the new DC and players. Not questioning his methods and/or what he has/is doing.

Actually, you were the perfect "straight man" for what I posted. I have actually been watching and waiting for the first negative story or criticism of Grinch. Honestly, it took longer than I thought.

For the record, it wasn't about players "losing" weight as it was about players reducing the fat content of their bodies as in slimming in and building strength at the same time.

That sounds like a good thing to me. This isn't a game where the goal is to put guys on the filed weighing 400 pounds with 30% of it being fat.

Besides, muscle is more dense than fat. So, in most of the cases I have seen of the weight changes what has happened that some of these guys have simply traded fat for muscle.

I’m trading fat for table muscle.

Current time is 07:57 pm