Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > New defensive coordinator Alex Grinch hits ground running as he introduces 'Speed D'

New defensive coordinator Alex Grinch hits ground running as he introduces 'Speed D'
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 03:07 am

New defensive coordinator Alex Grinch hits ground running as he introduces 'Speed D'
By Eric Bailey Tulsa World

NORMAN -- Alex Grinch introduced his new Oklahoma defensive players to a drill Thursday during the first day of spring practice.

The defensive coordinator didn’t verbally explain the goal of the drill. Grinch raced out there and showed his players what he wanted done.

It’s a hand’s-on approach and the players need to get used to it. It’s something Grinch learned from mentor Gary Pinkel, who preached “coach every snap.”

“They put a whistle in your hands to coach so you’re not a bystander,” Grinch said after practice. “You’re not watching, you’re not a cheerleader. Coaching is a critiquing business, so that’s all I know and that’s all this coaching staff does.”

Linebacker/defensive end Ronnie Perkins probably summed Grinch’s first day with the team best.

“He’s a hype guy. He’s vocal. I like people like that. He gives you energy,” Perkins said. “When he’s hyping you up and bringing you energy, you want to go out and make a play for him and get hype with him again. He’s brings a lot of energy to it and I saw that today. I liked it.”

Day 1 was in the books for a defense looking forward, not backward, at poor performances of seasons past.

Grinch’s primary position group is safeties, and he was witnessed coaching Brendan Radley-Hiles hard during a 20-minute session that was open to media.

“He’s a player’s coach. He’s fired up all the time,” Radley-Hiles said. “People want to be around him.

“He makes your energy just spark immediately. Everything that he stands for is energy and just making offenses struggle. That’s what we’re going to do.”

“Speed D” already has been said multiple times when describing Grinch’s style. He wants his defense to play fast. Interior linemen have lost weight to ratchet up their quickness.

“For the most part, the DBs got bigger, the D-line got, I say smaller, that’s a relative term,” Grinch said. “But the biggest thing is the number one enemy of speed is fat so we just wanted to make sure we leaned up and obviously we still had strength gains and all that stuff. Pretty positive that way and it’s something we’ve got to stay focused on. You don’t want to lose too much, but we don’t have an issue there yet.”

Grinch said he’s still evaluating where the team speed is at. He said a large core of players can run at an exceptional level.

“Our biggest thing about speed is playing at max speed. We want the fastest defense in the country. That’s not talking about 40 time, it’s about how you play,” Grinch said. “It’s a brand in terms of how you play every single snap. I saw some speed today. I thought guys were flying around a bit. Again, it’s not your 40 time but how fast you play.”

Said cornerback Tre Brown: “Everyone's hustling to the football. If you ain't, there's consequences. That pulls a trigger in your mind that you better keep rolling. You can't stop out there. You gotta go 100 percent."

Speedy play leads to turnovers. In three seasons with Grinch as Washington State’s defensive coordinator, the Cougars forced 75 combined turnovers. OU only managed to nab 11 takeaways last season.

“It’s a broken record and it sounds like one if you are on the practice field. Every single coach is barking on every single snap to get the ball out every time they catch it,” Grinch said. “We changed the tempo with how we finish plays. We’re not tagging guys. We’re stripping at the football even without pads. Every snap is a takeaway drill. That’s how we approach it.”

The waiting period is over. Grinch said the team used NCAA-allowed time to have more than 800 snaps of walk-through work before Thursday.

“So 800 reps of pretend. And believe me, the pads aren’t on yet,” Grinch said. “It’s still half pretend. But there’s a ball, there’s some moving targets. So some positive, some negative and we’ll continue to work through it.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/ou/ou-football-new-defensive-coordinator-alex-grinch-hits-ground-running/article_200e7f72-016d-581d-b7f5-cc947ca94e0d.html

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 03:16 am

Thanks for the links and copy and paste articles 47...:beer::beer::dude:

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 01:45 pm

I love what Grinch is doing and where his process is heading.

I see two major emphasis that Grinch builds his defense around.

First, Grinch wants speed on the field. That means guys who can run fast.

Second, Grinch wants his players to play with speed. Grinch, doesn't equate "players playing fast" with their 40 times. He wants them to play free and not encumbered with "thinking". He wants his players reacting first.

I like everything I have read and seen about Grinch and his style.

He reminds me of a young Switzer. Switzer's teams played fast and reacted fast. That worked for Switzer's defense and I think it will work for Riley's defense.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 01:55 pm

Actually, I'm thinking of those Miami defenses of the mid-80's to early-90's. "Undersized" and fast, fast, fast. They sure did a number on a few OU and Nebbish O-lines known (back then) to be maulers.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2019 02:03 pm

The 2000 Oklahoma and Florida St. defenses were the fastest ones out there and it showed. They had Big 12 and ACC speed, not that slow lumbering drank too much of grandpappy's cough syrup speed. More than speed, I am looking forward to sound tackling and playing disciplined defense again. Yes, I want the defense to be disciplined and structurally sound in everything they do and play in a really great way.

Current time is 03:54 am