Print
AuthorPost
OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 01:44 am

...reading the first novel in this series.

This time of the year catch up on fiction novels.

The first book in the series is a good read.

Kid taken from an orphanage and trained to be an assassin.

Looking for an entertaining book, I recommend this one.

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

Soonerbornsoonerbrett

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 12:57 pm

OU Chinaman wrote:

Good series! I've read the first three and the 4th just came out recently.

47Straight
DEPs

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '21 - Vaccinated and ready to Roll
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 02:29 pm

I just checked the library and they have a copy, so I'm headed there in a little while to see if I agree with you guys.

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2019 01:04 am

...finished the first one.
Bought the 2nd & 3rd from Amazon.
Read on the dust jacket that Hurwitz is wring a screenplay for Warner Bros. and Bradley Cooper.

Last edited on Fri Feb 15th, 2019 01:05 am by OU Chinaman

47Straight
DEPs

Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2019 01:51 pm

47Straight wrote: I just checked the library and they have a copy, so I'm headed there in a little while to see if I agree with you guys.
I finished Orphan X last night.  It's a purty good read, but not in the league of Tom Clancy or Vince Flynn.

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2019 01:18 am

47Straight wrote:
47Straight wrote: I just checked the library and they have a copy, so I'm headed there in a little while to see if I agree with you guys.
I finished Orphan X last night.  It's a purty good read, but not in the league of Tom Clancy or Vince Flynn.

...I agree it's not in the league of Tom Clancy. He was in a league of his own, even though his novels are a little dated now.

And I love Vince Flynn's character Mitch Rapp, but he's not in the same league as Robert Crais. Elvis Cole & especially Joe Pike are much more interesting than Rapp. IMHO of cOUrse!

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Mar 6th, 2020 05:28 pm

...recently finished the 4th Orphan X novel,...

INTO THE FIRE

I've become a big fan of the protagonist Evan Smoak.

Fun fast read, with a shocker ending.

BlackwellSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Apr 18th, 2020 04:21 am

Soonerbornsoonerbrett wrote: OU Chinaman wrote:

Good series! I've read the first three and the 4th just came out recently.According to https://www.orderofbooks.com/authors/gregg-hurwitz/ the Orphan X series currently has 7 books.I just checked out the first one, will give it a try before reading the (chronologically) prequel book "Buy a Bullet".
Edit:  Finished the first book, it was enjoyable, but didn't completely blow me away.Getting ready to read the short story "Buy a Bullet" and then the #2 book "Nowhere Man".

Last edited on Mon Jul 13th, 2020 04:00 am by BlackwellSooner

OU Chinaman
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 9th, 2021 12:31 am

...just finished "PRODIGAL SON".

Some great character development AND of course some excellent action scenes.
Orphan X is acquainted with his mother.
If you've been following this series, promise you;ll like this one.

Walt
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 9th, 2021 05:51 pm

Have never heard of Hurwitz and any of his books. On the flip side, I have read all of the authors mentioned in this thread. I have ever Clancy, Craise, and Flynn.and have all of their books, with the exception of the Clancy books that he has partnered in authoring ... really bad stuff.

If you guys like Clancy and Flynn, then give Frederick Forsythe a try. Unlike many other authors, Forsythe doesn't have a "character" his stories are based. They are pretty much a new guy for each of his books. With Clancy, I always thought his storylines in each book were based on some reality. It is obvious he had lots of inside scoops that led to his books. Same with Michael Connelly. Connelly spent some 20 plus years writing for the LA Times in their crime stories.

There is another author, Joel C. Rosenberg, that I really like. Rosenburg is in the Clancy and Forsythe quality of books. If you like Clancy and others, you will love Rosenberg's books ... I guarantee it.

I think you are missing some good stuff if you have never read Forsythe, Rosenberg. While I am at it, I also recommend Daniel Silva who writes spy stories. If you start reading Silva, I would recommend you start with the "Unlikely Spy" or "The Mark of the Assassin". I think Unlikely Spy is his first book and the Marm of the Assassin was his 2nd book.

I like Craise, but think his stories are lite, but good stories. My favorite books/authors who make me think about what is going on.

I will search for the library to find Hurwitz books and give him a try.

47Straight
DEPs

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 9th, 2021 10:06 pm

Walt wrote:
There is another author, Joel C. Rosenberg, that I really like. Rosenburg is in the Clancy and Forsythe quality of books. If you like Clancy and others, you will love Rosenberg's books ... I guarantee it.
Since you are the guy that put me on to Greg Illes, I take your book recommendations seriously ( I don't take most of your other stuff too seriously though).  I hadn't heard of Joel C Rosenberg, but I see that our library has "The Last Jihad" - so I'm going to give it a try.  Thanks.

Walt
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Feb 10th, 2021 07:45 pm

47Straight wrote:
Walt wrote:
Since you are the guy that put me on to Greg Illes, I take your book recommendations seriously ( I don't take most of your other stuff too seriously though).  I hadn't heard of Joel C Rosenberg, but I see that our library has "The Last Jihad" - so I'm going to give it a try.  Thanks.

Mr. Max, you should be glad that I take you a lot less seriously than you take me!!!

Seriously, Rosenberg writes a good story. I would think that anyone that likes Clancy, Flynn, and some of the others would like Rosenberg.

I could give you lots of other great reading options, but I don't want to overload your mind with good authors that take great minds to pick up the underlying stories in their books. So, I know it will take you a few months to read one of Rosenberg's book ... check in with me in a few months and I will try to give you a couple of good choices. :P

Walt
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2021 01:23 am

I got the title Kill Clause and am about half-way through it. I am thinking that the next Hurwitz I will try is The Tower. Read the primer and it is about a killer in Alcatraz for life, but escapes and goes on a killing spree, with an FBI agent charged with tracking him down.

The Tower appears to be a take off of the movie "Escape from Alcatraz" with Clint Eastman, as the leading man. Anyone got any ideas on this one?

47Straight
DEPs

Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 1st, 2021 02:03 pm

Walt wrote: 47Straight wrote:
Walt wrote:

Mr. Max, you should be glad that I take you a lot less seriously than you take me!!!

Seriously, Rosenberg writes a good story. I would think that anyone that likes Clancy, Flynn, and some of the others would like Rosenberg.

I could give you lots of other great reading options, but I don't want to overload your mind with good authors that take great minds to pick up the underlying stories in their books. So, I know it will take you a few months to read one of Rosenberg's book ... check in with me in a few months and I will try to give you a couple of good choices. :P
I read Rosenberg's "The Last Jihad" last week. To me it started off a little slow, but  great jumpin' Jehoshaphat, it wound up in a great way.  I'm headed to the library later this morning to get the other four books that complete this series.

I also read Robert Crais's new Joe Pike book, "A Dangerous Man". As you said, it doesn't make you think too much, but it is a heck of a good story.

As stated earlier, I will take your book recommendations seriously.

Walt
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 7th, 2021 05:36 pm

47Straight wrote:
Walt wrote: 47Straight wrote:
Walt wrote:

I read Rosenberg's "The Last Jihad" last week. To me it started off a little slow, but  great jumpin' Jehoshaphat, it wound up in a great way.  I'm headed to the library later this morning to get the other four books that complete this series.

I also read Robert Crais's new Joe Pike book, "A Dangerous Man". As you said, it doesn't make you think too much, but it is a heck of a good story.

As stated earlier, I will take your book recommendations seriously.

I'm a snob when it comes to the authors I read. I thought you would like Rosenberg. I did mention Frederick Forsythe as well as Rosenberg. Forsythe is outstanding and one of my favorite authors. One of his first was "The Day of The Jackal" and I think "The Odessa File" was his second. I think you would enjoy his books as well.

I have a couple of others that meet the quality of the authors you have read and liked, but I will save those for you another day and time.

Current time is 07:31 pm