Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > On new transfer rules. ... I predict there will be lots of turmoil.

On new transfer rules. ... I predict there will be lots of turmoil.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 05:02 pm

Sure, it is great to allow these kids some leeway on where they want to play football. After all this is a free country.

However, there is going to be some some turmoil in this process. I sure don't want to start another discussion on this issue. Just expressing an opinion.

In today's world if you get your feelings hurt then by all meant just transfer.

What I don't want to hear is anyone blaming the coaches for lack of depth etc when one of our players decide they have discovered greener pastures.

For example, it is clear as a bell that OU is short on young DTs. So, what happens to depth when one just up and decides he wants to go elsewhere?

Recruiting is over as the 2019 class is done. When a kid leaves that leaves a huge hole in the depth chart.

I guess a free education that saves you and your parents is just worthless. Well a whim is a whim ................ a sudden desire or change of mind, especially one that is unusual or unexplained.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 05:39 pm

Ron Tatum reported entering the portal per TFB.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 05:43 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:

See, just as my "turmoil" rant predicted and walla you reported a totally unknown OU DT transfer! :P

SoonerMike

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 06:19 pm

Walt wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:

See, just as my "turmoil" rant predicted and walla you reported a totally unknown OU DT transfer! :P

Listed as a SDE, 260 lbs. Assume he knows he was recruited over with all the DE's we recruited. Not sure losing a 5th or 6th team SDE will cause much turmoil. LOL

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 06:29 pm

I think alot these transfer kids will end up being the kids that left the program anyway and either 1) sat out a year or 2) went to division 2. A few more will probably leave just because it's easier I don't see very many if any of the 1 & 2 's leaving... since they are getting playing time .. So far I don't see a :

40 years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave!Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

scenario

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 06:40 pm

SoonerMike wrote:
Walt wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:

Listed as a SDE, 260 lbs. Assume he knows he was recruited over with all the DE's we recruited. Not sure losing a 5th or 6th team SDE will cause much turmoil. LOL

Mike, from all I read he was predicted to be in the mix this year. He was only a redshirt frosh. He was a homegrown (putnam) product and if I remember we were in a battle with Texas for his srvice. He may have even committed to Texas and flipped. (Not sure). I just can't see how he knew he was recruited over before seeing the incoming competition.

If I were to guess it might be the first player that doesn't like the new DC???

This may be a job for Rick46 to clarify.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 06:48 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:
SoonerMike wrote:
Walt wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote:

Mike, from all I read he was predicted to be in the mix this year. He was only a redshirt frosh. He was a homegrown (putnam) product and if I remember we were in a battle with Texas for his srvice. He may have even committed to Texas and flipped. (Not sure). I just can't see how he knew he was recruited over before seeing the incoming competition.

If I were to guess it might be the first player that doesn't like the new DC???

This may be a job for Rick46 to clarify.

Tatum will be a redshirt-freshman this Fall. I am of the opinion that he was one of the young kids we would want in the program down the road as a RS-Sophomore for sure.

As I recall, Tatum and Redmond were the two best home grown DL in the 2018 class.

This is what we are going to get out of this new transfer rule. You won't be able to groom these kids as they will just bolt st the first sign of having to work for a spot.

SoonerMike

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 07:01 pm

The kids that are afraid of competition are the ones we may not want.
And mainly I was pulling Walt's chain about "turmoil". We do need depth, but most of us don't know about personal situations, how well a player fits into the new scheme (K2CSooner, I agree), or whether he made a realistic judgement of his situation and decided to better himself, or other non depth chart items helped him decide that a transfer was in HIS OWN best interest.
I just disagree with Walt that we need more control of players, and that the new transfer rules spell turmoil.
Lets wait and see

IMAsooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 07:17 pm

Entering the portal does not mean they are leaving, it means they are considering it and seeing what is available out there. The portal will be a leverage tool to use against the coaches.

If a player is dissatisfied, he now has percieved power. When a player feels dismissed, he can use the portal as a way to communicate his dissatisfaction. This is not a healthy form of communication.

And so the players will enter the portal hoping to hear from the staff so that they might get the attention they are seeking.

Last edited on Mon Feb 11th, 2019 07:20 pm by IMAsooner

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 07:22 pm

It will be turmoil.
It will be turmoil for "the kids" that are trying to get an education by way of playing a sport they love.
It will be turmoil for colleges trying to keep college athletics mostly filled with student athletes rather than turning into farm teams for the NFL and NBA.

It will also be turmoil for "the kids" with their new found "freedom" to pursue "what's best for them", as they pour into what will become a meat grinder that produces shattered dreams and lost opportunity ten times more often than an easier path to the riches of professional sports.
It's as obvious as the effect of gravity.

Viva la revolucion!!!!

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 07:31 pm

Walt wrote:
Sure, it is great to allow these kids some leeway on where they want to play football. After all this is a free country.

However, there is going to be some some turmoil in this process. I sure don't want to start another discussion on this issue. Just expressing an opinion.

In today's world if you get your feelings hurt then by all meant just transfer.

What I don't want to hear is anyone blaming the coaches for lack of depth etc when one of our players decide they have discovered greener pastures.

SIGN OF THE TIMES

Commitment, loyalty, “signing on the dotted line”, don’t mean much to the average guy anymore. If it feels good,do it.
For example, it is clear as a bell that OU is short on young DTs. So, what happens to depth when one just up and decides he wants to go elsewhere?

Recruiting is over as the 2019 class is done. When a kid leaves that leaves a huge hole in the depth chart.

I guess a free education that saves you and your parents is just worthless. Well a whim is a whim ................ a sudden desire or change of mind, especially one that is unusual or unexplained.
::luddite::::luddite::

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 07:44 pm

StatesEye wrote:
It will be turmoil.
It will be turmoil for "the kids" that are trying to get an education by way of playing a sport they love.
It will be turmoil for colleges trying to keep college athletics mostly filled with student athletes rather than turning into farm teams for the NFL and NBA.

It will also be turmoil for "the kids" with their new found "freedom" to pursue "what's best for them", as they pour into what will become a meat grinder that produces shattered dreams and lost opportunity ten times more often than an easier path to the riches of professional sports.
It's as obvious as the effect of gravity.

Viva la revolucion!!!!

So, you're saying it will be

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 08:06 pm

Goodness, I never had any idea that my little post was going to cause all this "TURMOIL" OR "TUR MOIL" on the board. :lol:

I know many of you are for coddling these kids and treating them with kid gloves. Heaven help us if any of them don't grow up and learn some life lessons :P

SoonerMike

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 08:21 pm

Walt, an error in your post. Coddling is making college students decisions for them, rather than allowing them freedom to make decisions and learn froom them. Good or Bad.
PS, good thread with many different opinions. I have pushed the "freedon" side, but I know it is not that simple.

scrybe

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 08:38 pm

captnop wrote:
I think alot these transfer kids will end up being the kids that left the program anyway and either 1) sat out a year or 2) went to division 2. A few more will probably leave just because it's easier I don't see very many if any of the 1 & 2 's leaving... since they are getting playing time .. So far I don't see a :

40 years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave!Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

scenario

LOL. You're probably right about no cohabitation between dogs and cats, but don't try lying down with a liberal Dem unless you don't mind getting up with fleas. (Sorry, no more politics. I promise)

SoonerMike

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 09:01 pm

Freedom is an American idea, neither liberal nor conservate.

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 09:23 pm

I've always wanted to know......How many times can an athlete use the portal?  As an example Bru McCoy.......can he use the portal again if he finds that he doesn't want to be a whorn?

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 09:32 pm

Kids entering the portal and leaving are going somewhere.
For every player leaving through the portal, there is an arrival of a player from the portal.
We're talking about all these players creating holes.
Seems to me, some are gong to be filling holes.
Let's step up our recruiting, hire a Portal Recruiting Director and kick some NCAA butt!

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 09:56 pm

there are conflicting story's on Tatum, turmoil can go two ways, some out there are saying he was "asked" to look elsewhere.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 11:09 pm

SoonerMike wrote:
Walt, an error in your post. Coddling is making college students decisions for them, rather than allowing them freedom to make decisions and learn froom them. Good or Bad.
PS, good thread with many different opinions. I have pushed the "freedon" side, but I know it is not that simple.

Hey there are lots of uses for the word "coddling". I used it one way and you used it another way. It wasn't an error. :cool:

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 11:11 pm

AllSooner wrote:
I've always wanted to know......How many times can an athlete use the portal?  As an example Bru McCoy.......can he use the portal again if he finds that he doesn't want to be a whorn?

AllSooner, it is a portal potty ... you can use is as many times as you can stand it. :beer:

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 11:40 pm

Walt wrote: AllSooner wrote:

AllSooner, it is a portal potty ... you can use is as many times as you can stand it. :beer:Interesting....Very descriptive of where many "student" athletes will find their scholarship opportunities as well as their playing opportunities ending. For the life of me I cannot understand why more people don't recognize where this is headed. Let's call it what it is.....FREE AGENCY. Hey....freedom is good, right? The ultimate freedom is law-of-the-jungle. Let's go back to that!

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 12:09 am

StatesEye wrote:
Walt wrote: AllSooner wrote:

AllSooner, it is a portal potty ... you can use is as many times as you can stand it. :beer:Interesting....Very descriptive of where many "student" athletes will find their scholarship opportunities as well as their playing opportunities ending. For the life of me I cannot understand why more people don't recognize where this is headed. Let's call it what it is.....FREE AGENCY. Hey....freedom is good, right? The ultimate freedom is law-of-the-jungle. Let's go back to that!

This is exactly what it is -- Free Agency with no limits. When an NFL player is drafted he signs a contract for a salary and signing bonus and usually a four year term. Once the term is over then the player can negotiate the best contract you can get.

With this there are no limits as to how many time or when or where. Once they rules committee unleashed this one they will never put it back in the bottle. This thing is likely to grow very fast.

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 12:19 am

Walt as we speak...............it is growing.....growing and there is no turning back now.This will be the biggest can of POOP opened up in College Sports EVER.Yes college Sports....can you imagine if the "Portal" spreads to all college Athletics................................I was gonna avoid this thread but had to Jump in...........Thanks Walt!!!

MNSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 12:46 am

humblesooner wrote:
For every player leaving through the portal, there is an arrival of a player from the portal.
Let's step up our recruiting, hire a Portal Recruiting Director and kick some NCAA butt!

This.

It is like fans complaining that their team lost because it was raining. As if it were only raining on their side of the field.

As long as Lincoln Riley is coach, players will be knocking down the doors to play here. So what if a few leave? We will get more Jalen Hurts at the loss of... what?

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 12:59 am

There are so many questions and misunderstood conceptions about the portal. First once the player declares he has basically gave up his place on the team. The coach then has all the power. He can say goodbye or he can keep a place open for the player.

My question here is whether the player stays on scholarship until the next semester or is it pulled immediately?

I posted a list of current players that had entered their name last week. Most of the players had to sit a year when transferring to the new team. I still think all players have 5 years to complete 4 years of competition, excluding special circumstances. I don't think that changes and would discourage multiple portal transfers for a single player.

My question is why doesn't the rule actually have a beginning date and ending date just like free agency has. Can a player actually portal after being benched after a few games (ex Abdul Adams) during the season? This would definitely cause turmoil.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 01:40 am

MNSooner wrote: humblesooner wrote:

This.

It is like fans complaining that their team lost because it was raining. As if it were only raining on their side of the field.

As long as Lincoln Riley is coach, players will be knocking down the doors to play here. So what if a few leave? We will get more Jalen Hurts at the loss of... what?
The impact on OU winning football games is not what I'm worried about. I'm sure OU will be just fine. In fact, OU would probably be one of the few beneficiaries of "free agency".....if they decided to play that game....and the financial incentives (PRESSURE) to play that game would be irresistible. I'm worried about the impact on the "student" part of student athlete and the increased likelihood that student athletes would be preyed upon at the expense of an education.....and this wouldn't just impact those wanting to transfer but every scholarship athlete in a program. This would be doubly (or more) problematic for those already less advantaged, which would be a significant number, btw!

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 01:42 am

K2C Sooner wrote: There are so many questions and misunderstood conceptions about the portal. First once the player declares he has basically gave up his place on the team. The coach then has all the power. He can say goodbye or he can keep a place open for the player.

My question here is whether the player stays on scholarship until the next semester or is it pulled immediately?

I posted a list of current players that had entered their name last week. Most of the players had to sit a year when transferring to the new team. I still think all players have 5 years to complete 4 years of competition, excluding special circumstances. I don't think that changes and would discourage multiple portal transfers for a single player.

My question is why doesn't the rule act f
Good points on the sitting for a year, K2C.......at least for now.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 02:21 am

humblesooner wrote:
This seems like good guess.

They used the same portal system for Softball and there definitely are more players transferring. I guess that is not surprise. I guess the trick is recruiting better transfers than you lose.

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2019 02:39 am

KC2.may be wrong but I believe the scholly is pulled once the entrance to Portal has transpired.....may be wrong but I think thats the way it goes.If a player enters the Portal and is allowed to stay on Scholly then the spot is not opened up for another player?????May be wrong but thats the way I heard it.In one of my previous posts that was one of my concerns.....this whole "Portal"thing lies in favor of the University and the Coaches.

Last edited on Tue Feb 12th, 2019 02:40 am by WishBone

Current time is 01:42 pm
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page