Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Recruiting’s Biggest Bait-and-Switch:

Recruiting’s Biggest Bait-and-Switch:
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 07:59 pm

gcruse7 wrote: sybarite wrote:
I think it is the first responsibility of a university to act and teach information and ethics

We probably agree on the first part: I think the university should educate, that is teach the information that is relevant to a specified degree.

As far as the second, I've got two kids currently in university life (one grad and one undergrad). The vast majority of universities, including the ones my daughters have attended are so much in a bubble, they are not qualified to lecture on morality and ethics, though it doesn't seem to stop them. The statements that get made in class make my daughters sad that (1) people actually believe such nonsense and (2) that said people are the ones actually given the responsibility to teach the next generation. I would get more detailed, but I respect (and appreciate) the "no politics" rules of this board.I'm probably rubbing up on the line we should not cross with this post but.......
I've spent most of my adult life "identifying" (heh) as a tad left of center and I have to say you have a very valid point. Not gonna comment any more than that other than post this link. Sorry if I went too far, Walt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURHfjq58sY

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 08:09 pm

I also want to add to this thread the following....
Winning football and/or basketball games IS NOT (or at least, SHOULD NOT be) the principal and primary focus of a university's athletic department. But it definitely should be a very, very important focus. Furthermore, college athletics (even in this crazy world of business that it has become) is an invaluable toolbox in education. There are simply things in athletics (teamwork, competition, responsibility to others, respect for others, learning to be better than you are, etc) that cannot be taught better in a classroom. It is still and will continue to be an important feature of education.....even in the secondary/high school ranks. It is important!

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 08:48 pm

StatesEye wrote:
Winning football and/or basketball games IS NOT (or at least, SHOULD NOT be) the principal and primary focus of a university's athletic department. But it definitely should be a very, very important focus. Furthermore, college athletics (even in this crazy world of business that it has become) is an invaluable toolbox in education. There are simply things in athletics (teamwork, competition, responsibility to others, respect for others, learning to be better than you are, etc) that cannot be taught better in a classroom. It is still and will continue to be an important feature of education.....even in the secondary/high school ranks. It is important!

IMHO it is even more important in high school since most don’t get the chance to do it at the college level.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 08:48 pm

StatesEye wrote:

I wish we could go back much closer to the "student athlete" concept. I think we are to far away and we are going to continue to get further away. To much money and to much pressure.

What I really wish is that some league like what Bob Stoops has agreed to join would organize as a minor league for the NFL. Just get the kids whose only reason for playing FBS ball is to get to the NFL.

Just take all the top kids who prefer to just play for pay and then maybe we can find kids who want to get an education. I don't think it would hurt the college game.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 09:35 pm

Another SEC short.......relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANI_9JS3y7Y

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 09:35 pm

47Straight wrote: StatesEye wrote:

IMHO it is even more important in high school since most don’t get the chance to do it at the college level.
Agreed.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 09:37 pm

Walt wrote: StatesEye wrote:

I wish we could go back much closer to the "student athlete" concept. I think we are to far away and we are going to continue to get further away. To much money and to much pressure.

What I really wish is that some league like what Bob Stoops has agreed to join would organize as a minor league for the NFL. Just get the kids whose only reason for playing FBS ball is to get to the NFL.

Just take all the top kids who prefer to just play for pay and then maybe we can find kids who want to get an education. I don't think it would hurt the college game.
It'd be nice. Not going to get my hopes up, though.

Current time is 10:54 am
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2