Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Did the Pats develop a method to shut down the spread?

Did the Pats develop a method to shut down the spread?
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:23 pm

I remember all the hubbub after the KC/Rams game last year that ended 55-51.  No one could stop these high flying offenses and they need to get these young College head coaches into the NFL so all the teams could run the spread.

Yesterday, the Patriots throttled one of the most explosive of the new offenses by disguising who was rushing and who was dropping back into zone.  The rushers would come straight up the field limiting Goff's time to find open receivers.  This also limited the holes created by stunting and making it difficult to run.

Was this a fluke or the way to stop the spread?

Last edited on Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:23 pm by SwampSooner

ArmySooner
Administrator

Country of Origin: Potawatomi Nation
Signature: Pookie Poo
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:45 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Goff had a terrible day, and I am not completely convinced that was a result of the NE defense, but I believe that this is a question that needs yo be asked.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:59 pm

IMO, it was more of a situation of Belichick knowing the Rams tendencies and scheming for them. When the Rams got off their tendencies, they did OK, and then went right back to what was predictable.

The other thing that really showed was Goff's inexperience. He was clearly panicked in the pocket and made some poor decisions with the football and missed at least two TD passes that were there.

The last part, it was pretty obvious to me that no matter what the Rams said, Gurley was not 100%.

gcruse7

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 08:16 pm

The previous time the mighty Pat's defense played a spread offense (their last game) they "held" them to 31 points, so I'm not sure that they have it all figured out!

soonerredhead

Country of Origin: Irish American Sooner
Signature: Stepford People
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 09:28 pm

SoonerRick46 wrote:
IMO, it was more of a situation of Belichick knowing the Rams tendencies and scheming for them. When the Rams got off their tendencies, they did OK, and then went right back to what was predictable.

The other thing that really showed was Goff's inexperience. He was clearly panicked in the pocket and made some poor decisions with the football and missed at least two TD passes that were there.

The last part, it was pretty obvious to me that no matter what the Rams said, Gurley was not 100%.

I even noticed Goff was shaky and couldn’t help but think how Baker would have thrived in that arena. Goff sometimes had all day to create/make plays and unlike Foles or I think Baker would have done, he got flustered.

WTHI Foley?

Last edited on Mon Feb 4th, 2019 10:01 pm by soonerredhead

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 09:33 pm

Sometimes teams just have a bad day or sometimes a bad quarter or bad half and it doesn't always come down to what the other team is doing. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 10:03 pm

In the AFC championship game, the Pats shut the Chiefs out in the first half, and in the second half the Chiefs scored 31 points on them. I don't think they've figured out how to stop these offenses, but Belichick will often do stuff he hasn't shown before.

Also, the Rams didn't seem nearly as explosive later in the season after they lost one of their starting WRs. They still put up points, but for example, only scored 6 against Chicago on Dec. 9. Gurley was their top rusher in that game with 28 yards. Belichick is famous for taking away your best weapon. If the Rams can't run, Goff's usually not going to beat you.

opksooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 10:36 pm

In the first half the Rams almost always ran on first down. (Tendency?) In the second half they threw the ball on first down much more often and were able to move to ball a bit.

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 02:57 am

IMO..........Gurley was not himself in the last 2-3 games.Dude is a hoss.Dont know if its injury or attitude but something was wrong.In reading .I'm starting to lean less to injury....

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 01:36 pm

It was interesting to see how the Pats stopped the Rams offense. Here's a good article from yesterday:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25921740/super-bowl-liii-was-greatest-defensive-performance-history-here-how-patriots-did-rams

A few things stood out to me from the article:
The Pats used up to a 6 man front - closed off running lanes which made Goff be more of a pocket passer and not able to use play action.
      The coverages were out of the ordinary for the Pats - the Rams never figured it out.

Got to hand it to Belichick - the guy knows his stuff.

SoonerMachine

Country of Origin: 
      Signature: 
      Mana: 
       Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 04:11 pm

Many times I could see the safeties at or near the box, daring the Rams to go deep. But, once the ball was snapped they dropped back into coverage.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
      Signature: 
      Mana: 
       Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 05:39 pm

When Grinch was hired I went back and read some stories before his time at tosu, back when he was in charge of the defense.

what I read at the time by Grinch himself and others describing his style of defense sounds very similar to what has been described in posts above in this thread, I remember him talking about going straight upfield, disrupting the qb, and disguising what the coverages were, what the Pats were doing sounds a little like what we might expect to see in the coming years here at OU.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
      Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
      Mana: 
       Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 07:30 pm

soonerBAS wrote:
      When Grinch was hired I went back and read some stories before his time at tosu, back when he was in charge of the defense.

what I read at the time by Grinch himself and others describing his style of defense sounds very similar to what has been described in posts above in this thread, I remember him talking about going straight upfield, disrupting the qb, and disguising what the coverages were, what the Pats were doing sounds a little like what we might expect to see in the coming years here at OU.

Rams did a lot of the same thing to Brady. Had him confused a lot early. The big problem is they couldn't take away Edelman. When they finally double covered him, then someone else was open and Brady finally figured out what the Rams were doing in the secondary.

privatesooner

Country of Origin: 
      Signature: 
      Mana: 
       Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 12:11 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/04/how-bill-belichick-outcoached-sean-mcvay-super-bowl-liii/?utm_term=.0542807b5c41

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
      Signature: #8 in '19
      Mana: 
       Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 01:11 am

privatesooner wrote:
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/04/how-bill-belichick-outcoached-sean-mcvay-super-bowl-liii/?utm_term=.0542807b5c41

Good read! Thanks. (y):beer:(y)

Fly

Country of Origin: 
      Signature: 
      Mana: 
       Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2019 05:13 pm

There was a former Rams lineman on Mark Lavin last night
      talking about this. He said the Rams lost that game at
      the line of scrimmage. He said the Rams QB had to throw
      off his back foot the whole game because of pressure that
      was put on him. He went on saying no matter the offense,
      games are won & lost up front. I believe that I think much
      of our success has been our OL. I hate seeing those guys go.

Fly :ou:

Current time is 01:42 pm