Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Would Jalen Hurts be a good fit at Oklahoma?

Would Jalen Hurts be a good fit at Oklahoma?
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 07:58 pm

https://newsok.com/article/5619905/hurts-has-entered-ncaas-transfer-portal?fbclid=IwAR2fq9h5rlPqP9wVNiMBeWXV7I7JqlZxgn6isnGBSONV3zOQQYAdxxZagqU

Attachment: 1 free leaves.jpg (Downloaded 474 times)

SD-OU

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 08:11 pm

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/why-jalen-hurts-fits-at-oklahoma

Another case for Hurts.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 08:50 pm

If Riley wants him there, then he is. If not, then he is not a good fit there. ;) With that said, I have as much confidence in his accuracy that I did in Trevor Knight's before he ever threw a pass at Oklahoma. That's not a compliment.

jimmc
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 09:02 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
If Riley wants him there, then he is. If not, then he is not a good fit there. ;) With that said, I have as much confidence in his accuracy that I did in Trevor Knight's before he ever threw a pass at Oklahoma. That's not a compliment.
I agree with Crint.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 09:11 pm

47Straight wrote:
https://newsok.com/article/5619905/hurts-has-entered-ncaas-transfer-portal?fbclid=IwAR2fq9h5rlPqP9wVNiMBeWXV7I7JqlZxgn6isnGBSONV3zOQQYAdxxZagqU
47 - Looking at your Sig Picture.
We recently moved to a house with more trees that a National Forest.
Due to the type trees I have, I have 3 major leaf sheddings per year.
When I first moved here, I tried bagging the leaves.
Thought it funny when my neighbor had a strange look on his face and asks "Are you going to bag all of those leaves?"
For reference, I don't any more.
But the first time I did, they were in black bags (no see through). I put them on my curb the night before trash pick up. They were gone the next morning.
Not sure where they went, because every house in the neighborhood has the same amount of leaves in their yards.
???

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 09:58 pm

I've said more than once I don't think Austin Kendall is the answer. He just doesn't impress me as a QB. I think I've seen more from Mordecai in the few appearances he's made than I've seen the entire time from Kendal. And according to my sources, Kendall is already going to transfer out.

Hurts only has one year of availability and Rattler isn't going to come in in June and win the starting role this fall IMO. It's going to take him a year to mature and get the system down to be really effective.

So you bring in Hurts, he's hear for a year to help Mordecai along, or even alternate them in spots. I'll say this, in the SEC Championship game, Hurts passes weren't exactly darts, but they were completions and he moved that team down the field and led the comeback victory. Some credit has to be given for that alone. Plus with him here for just a year, it's doesn't really effect Rattler, and I'm sure Hurts can pass off a few things he's learned over the years to both Mordecai and Rattler. I see this as a win-win situation.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 10:20 pm

SoonerRick46 wrote:
I've said more than once I don't think Austin Kendall is the answer. He just doesn't impress me as a QB. I think I've seen more from Mordecai in the few appearances he's made than I've seen the entire time from Kendal. And according to my sources, Kendall is already going to transfer out.

Hurts only has one year of availability and Rattler isn't going to come in in June and win the starting role this fall IMO. It's going to take him a year to mature and get the system down to be really effective.

So you bring in Hurts, he's hear for a year to help Mordecai along, or even alternate them in spots. I'll say this, in the SEC Championship game, Hurts passes weren't exactly darts, but they were completions and he moved that team down the field and led the comeback victory. Some credit has to be given for that alone. Plus with him here for just a year, it's doesn't really effect Rattler, and I'm sure Hurts can pass off a few things he's learned over the years to both Mordecai and Rattler. I see this as a win-win situation.

this is kind of how I see it as well, if Kendall transfers then Hurts would be a positive for all the reasons mentioned above, if Kendall stays though I really don't know that Hurts does a lot more for us than what Kendall would, to me it's all does the guy we have stay or go?

It's a minor little thing but say at the end of next year there are two teams neck and neck for the playoff's and we are one of them... for once espn might push for us to be included just for the ratings boost of a game with Hurts playing his old team Alabama.

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 11:01 pm

The times I watched Hurts, I was not impressed at all. He
is not moble at all.

JMOHOP Fly:ou:

SD-OU

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 11:39 pm

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jalen-hurts-1.html
I lean toward Hurts over Kendall. Pretty good running stats and with the line having to replace numerous starters his mobility will be an asset. Like SoonerRick says Austin doesn't appear to be the answer.

jimmc
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 11:52 pm

SD-OU wrote:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jalen-hurts-1.html
I lean toward Hurts over Kendall. Pretty good running stats and with the line having to replace numerous starters his mobility will be an asset. Like SoonerRick says Austin doesn't appear to be the answer.

Found this in your link above: Made me throw up little in my mouth.
Hookem Headlines: Texas Football: Sam Ehlinger among top 2019 Heisman odds favorites
Also lists Austin Kendall in early odds too. That is unless a transfer candidate like Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts or Ohio State quarterback Tate Martell wind up landing at a Big 12 school.

Last edited on Fri Jan 11th, 2019 12:17 am by jimmc

Mario90

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 07:16 am

Hurts is not a good fit , slow and not accurate . Plus one year left of availability.

Mordecai starts the Rattler .

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 01:13 pm

Everyone keeps saying that Hurst isn't accurate. I guess we all got spoiled with Baker and Kyler, but Hurts is 63% for his career with 43 TD passes vs 13 INTs.

Riley is leading the charge to get Hurts. Hurts is hesitant that we are going to have a new O Line and Riley is telling him with the talent we have and Coach B, the line will be fine.

Riley is definitely looking for a stop-gap for Rattler. There is also talk of going after Brandon Wimbush from ND.
No one is being guaranteed a starting spot, as they will have to compete with AK and Tanner, but I'm being told if any other QB comes in AK is gone. I have a lot of faith in Tanner, so we'll see how this shakes out.

Last edited on Fri Jan 11th, 2019 01:14 pm by SoonerRick46

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 01:56 pm

63% used to be good but the new 63% in today's offenses is 67%.

Now what Mayfield, Murray and Tua have been doing at 70% or greater is off the charts.

danella74

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 02:09 pm

Just start Rattler and let him learn.... OU schedule next year is really weak

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 11:34 pm

I said in a post in November Hurts to Oklahoma and some scoffed.Well I still think he will be here and I think he will do good things.Time will tell.One thing (as Stated by SR46) KA was not the answer.I personally give Hurts the edge over TM just for the reasoning of playing time and playing time in big time games.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 12:04 am

If Kendall does transfer then Hurts would be a definite need. I hate to go into the 2019 season with two freshmen QBs on board. That is really slim.

WishBone

Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 01:21 am

Just got back in town from Road trip to Dallas and seen where Dan Enos(expected to be Bama OC) is off to Miami so I think there is a chance Hurts go to Miami.......Maybe LR goes after ND transfer if JH goes South.

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 01:30 am

WishBone wrote:
Just got back in town from Road trip to Dallas and seen where Dan Enos(expected to be Bama OC) is off to Miami so I think there is a chance Hurts go to Miami.......Maybe LR goes after ND transfer if JH goes South.

Per espnu radio Hurts also started following the Miami coaches on some sort of social media. Take it for what it’s worth. I drive a lot.

WishBone

Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 01:47 am

Hurts is also following CeeDee Lamb on Twitter along with a few other choice picks?

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 01:51 am

I wish I had the opportunity to be “friends” with some of the folks I competed against when I was younger. Sitting on the phone with a cord, or even the cordless just took too much time. I guess I’m both jealous and wary of the way things are now vs then. Plus the things you can find on the inter webs now would make 13 yo me’s head explode. Old man thoughts over.

Last edited on Sat Jan 12th, 2019 01:52 am by Johnnytrey23

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 01:54 am

I think he's at Maryland tonight. They showed him on the Maryland/Indiana bb game.

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 02:02 am

https://thespun.com/big-12/oklahoma-sooners/jalen-hurts-father-reportedly-reached-out-to-oklahoma-a-month-ago

https://thespun.com/sec/alabama-crimson-tide/alabama-qb-jalen-hurts-will-reportedly-visit-these-2-programs

K2C Sooner is a good link teacher ;)

Last edited on Sat Jan 12th, 2019 02:05 am by Johnnytrey23

Gandalf

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 02:31 am

Serious question: What about the walk on QBs? Do they have potential to be a stop gap and still win?

I know nothing about them but they have been around the program a while so should have plenty of knowledge. But is the skill there.....

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 02:53 am

Johnnytrey23 wrote:
https://thespun.com/big-12/oklahoma-sooners/jalen-hurts-father-reportedly-reached-out-to-oklahoma-a-month-ago

https://thespun.com/sec/alabama-crimson-tide/alabama-qb-jalen-hurts-will-reportedly-visit-these-2-programs

:lol::lol::lol:

I think trey23 likes to pull someone's legs.:dude:

Johnnytrey23

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 03:02 am

K2C Sooner wrote:
Johnnytrey23 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

I think trey23 likes to pull someone's legs.:dude:

I would never :beer:

SoonerLee

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 02:29 pm

I heard Riley told Rattler he would not bring in another QB with him.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 02:37 pm

SoonerLee wrote:
I heard Riley told Rattler he would not bring in another QB with him.

He did tell him that. However, the situation has changed assuming that Kendall does intend to transfer. My guess is that Riley won't do anything with another QB while alienating either of his young QBs.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 03:04 pm

Rattler has to understand with Kendall in the portal and Rattler not reporting till summer OU is looking at Tanner and whatever walkon's are available to go thru spring practice. Even when Rattler gets here we will have two untested young pups, looking at Hurts or any other transfers isn't about finding another Heisman it's about finding depth.

oklahomazeppelin

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2019 09:21 am

I trust Lincoln.

My instinct is that it would be hard to say no to Jalen Hurts. He has an incredible record against very strong defenses. And just brought Bama back in the SEC championship game after a sat-out year with all-time dignity. He has great character. He has experience. He's a champion.. And he wants to win BAD. Also the last two transfer/walk-on QBs did pretty well at OU. Compared to what I've seen of Kendall, Hurts is far better. But I really don't know.

So I trust Lincoln.

Last edited on Sun Jan 13th, 2019 09:21 am by oklahomazeppelin

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2019 12:18 pm

Plus, Hurts would only have the one year, which doesn't really impact Rattler. Well, outside of most likely redshirting, but that's better than wasting a year as a backup.

Current time is 07:09 am
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page