Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Kyler to the NFL?

Kyler to the NFL?
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
oklahomazeppelin

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 06:12 am

"The Oakland A's expect Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray to declare for the 2019 NFL draft before Monday's deadline, the San Francisco Chronicle reports, citing multiple sources."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25725201/oakland-expect-kyler-murray-declare-2019-nfl-draft

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 03:32 pm

Now this wouldn't be surprising to me at all. He'll go first round and will be paid a heck of a lot more than $5 million. Although it may be that the long term "potential" for more money is with baseball. I'd probably take the more now over the potential of even more later.

Not only that, it's possible his potential of more later is perhaps better with football......just maybe not as long term.

Not sure if that made any sense.....lol.

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2019 03:36 pm by StatesEye

Aries

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 03:39 pm

Someone is going to waste a draft pick.  I would think NFL teams would take that into consideration, and he might drop?  Someone might take a flyer on a later pick but not first round...

Aries

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 04:58 pm

StatesEye wrote:
Now this wouldn't be surprising to me at all. He'll go first round and will be paid a heck of a lot more than $5 million. Although it may be that the long term "potential" for more money is with baseball. I'd probably take the more now over the potential of even more later.

Not only that, it's possible his potential of more later is perhaps better with football......just maybe not as long term.

Yeah, it didn't make sense, but did make sense if you can make sense of it not making sense, which of course makes sense.

SD-OU

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 05:19 pm

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/01/kyler-murray-to-enter-the-nfl-draft-where-will-he-go-how-good-a-prospect-is-he

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 05:28 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote: StatesEye wrote:

Yeah, it didn't make sense, but did make sense if you can make sense of it not making sense, which of course makes sense.Yeah, but.....
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 05:37 pm

StatesEye wrote:ClintA.Adams wrote: StatesEye wrote:Now this wouldn't be surprising to me at all. He'll go first round and will be paid a heck of a lot more than $5 million. Although it may be that the long term "potential" for more money is with baseball. I'd probably take the more now over the potential of even more later.

Yeah, it didn't make sense, but did make sense if you can make sense of it not making sense, which of course makes sense.Yeah, but.....
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 05:52 pm

Aries wrote: Someone is going to waste a draft pick.  I would think NFL teams would take that into consideration, and he might drop?  Someone might take a flyer on a later pick but not first round...

Aries
Okay, Aries.....you're gonna have to do some explain'n.

Why do you believe Kyler would be a wasted first round pick?

If "flyer" means that Kyler is fast (I'm pretty sure that's what you mean), he is not only fast but seems to diagnose coverages very fast and he's an excellent passer. I think Baker was a better QB, overall. But Kyler isn't too far behind him, IMO........and Baker started under Riley for three years.

I'm not trying to get into an argument. I'm just interested in your opinion....honestly.

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 07:38 pm

This is going to be interesting. Kyler has the skill of Baker but not the intangibles IMO and Kliff has the first pick in the draft at Az. Course AZ did take a QB in first round last year. Will he trade that one and select Kyler?

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 07:39 pm

SD-OU wrote:
https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/01/kyler-murray-to-enter-the-nfl-draft-where-will-he-go-how-good-a-prospect-is-he

The rumor mill is growing quickly about Arizona.

Aries

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 07:42 pm

No I mean if he plays in the NFL then Oakland wasted a pick, if he is drafted in the NFL but plays baseball then an NFL team wastes a pick.

Not sure an NFL team would risk a high pick, given that he already has a contract with the A's.  I can imagine some might risk a lower round pick, but a first round?

By "flyer" I mean "taking a risk with a high probability you will lose".

He would probably easily be a first round pick if it weren't for the baseball contract, even if he were considering but hadn't signed for baseball.  In other words, I don't doubt he'll get picked, I'm just not sure it will be first round under the circumstances.

Aries

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 07:45 pm

SoonerRick46 wrote:
SD-OU wrote:

The rumor mill is growing quickly about Arizona.

Yikes. From that article: "In October 2018, Kliff Kingsbury said he would take Kyler Murray as the first pick of the NFL draft if he could."

And supposedly Kliff and Kyler have a good relationship going back to high school for Kyler

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2019 07:56 pm by jimmc

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 08:00 pm

Aries wrote: No I mean if he plays in the NFL then Oakland wasted a pick, if he is drafted in the NFL but plays baseball then an NFL team wastes a pick.

Not sure an NFL team would risk a high pick, given that he already has a contract with the A's.  I can imagine some might risk a lower round pick, but a first round?

By "flyer" I mean "taking a risk with a high probability you will lose".

He would probably easily be a first round pick if it weren't for the baseball contract, even if he were considering but hadn't signed for baseball.  In other words, I don't doubt he'll get picked, I'm just not sure it will be first round under the circumstances.

Aries
Okay....got it. Makes perfect sense now and good point.

Aries

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 03:02 am

Re-reading what I originally wrote, I see exactly how you took it and why. I should have been more clear.  It made sense while it was bouncing around in my brain.  :lol:

Aries

Current time is 04:25 pm