Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:07 pm

https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/1082728481459503104 - "Per sources, Kliff Kingsbury is finalizing a deal to become the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals."

Texas Tech: "Wait, what!? Hey Kliff! We were just kidding!"

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:13 pm

Wow! This is going to speed up implementation of the Air Raid style in the NFL. How long before Mike Leach is hired somewhere in the NFL?

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:23 pm

People Kept asking if Leach would ever coach at OU .. No .. Now We can start asking what NFL team will hire him and when. At least we don't have to hear about gimmicky air raid offense that don't translate to the NFL.. Now if Grinch can get the D going!!!!

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:32 pm

With the loss of Kliffy, I wonder if USC can hang onto Bryce Young?

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:33 pm

I don't see the allure of Kingsbury. Forgetting about his sub-par performance as head coach, I didn't see him as an elite OC before that and his run games were traditional spread run games, which means, not good.

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:42 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
I don't see the allure of Kingsbury. Forgetting about his sub-par performance as head coach, I didn't see him as an elite OC before that and his run games were traditional spread run games, which means, not good.
I've heard many B12 coaches think he is an elite game day play caller.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 10:43 pm

jimmc wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

So what do you think? I just don't see it myself but we'll see.

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 12:30 am

ClintA.Adams wrote:
jimmc wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

I've always thought of Kliff as the preeminent human tackling dummy. That boy took more shots when he was playing at Tech than any man alive and never really even missed any time or plays. Incredible. Always admired him for that.

I think he is pretty much a true Leach Air Raid disciple and knows all the counters to whatever the defense is doing. And that is what makes a good play caller IMO. I think he is actually on par with Leach as a play caller and will find a way to use David Johnson as opposed to the guy Az had this past year. Not sure what he will do with him, because he has never had one like that at Tech. But Leach found a way to develop and use OU's non air raid talent that first year he was here, especially at WR that was uncanny.

David Johnson will definitely be a new toy for him, like Mixon and Samaje were for Riley when he got here. And another thing he does like Leach, he ain't dreamin up any new fangled plays to put in special for an upcoming game and I don't mean that as a negative. He is going to call what they practice, counters and all, over and over again.

I suspect he will do pretty well, because he won't have to go recruit players to Lubbock and against Texas, Aggies, OU, etc... anymore. I do wish him well. Should be very interesting and his QB should be a high fantasy pick this year in the fantasy leagues around the country. :D

Last edited on Wed Jan 9th, 2019 12:45 am by jimmc

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 01:43 am

jimmc wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:
jimmc wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

I've always thought of Kliff as the preeminent human tackling dummy. That boy took more shots when he was playing at Tech than any man alive and never really even missed any time or plays. Incredible. Always admired him for that.

I think he is pretty much a true Leach Air Raid disciple and knows all the counters to whatever the defense is doing. And that is what makes a good play caller IMO. I think he is actually on par with Leach as a play caller and will find a way to use David Johnson as opposed to the guy Az had this past year. Not sure what he will do with him, because he has never had one like that at Tech. But Leach found a way to develop and use OU's non air raid talent that first year he was here, especially at WR that was uncanny.

David Johnson will definitely be a new toy for him, like Mixon and Samaje were for Riley when he got here. And another thing he does like Leach, he ain't dreamin up any new fangled plays to put in special for an upcoming game and I don't mean that as a negative. He is going to call what they practice, counters and all, over and over again.

I suspect he will do pretty well, because he won't have to go recruit players to Lubbock and against Texas, Aggies, OU, etc... anymore. I do wish him well. Should be very interesting and his QB should be a high fantasy pick this year in the fantasy leagues around the country. :D

I totally agree with this. I think he's going to rejuvenate an offense that had found itself in 2016 and then kind of fell apart.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 01:46 am

AllSooner wrote:

The players that committed to USC are not happy right now and SC looks like the proverbial dumpster fire. I've been told Bryce is not happy and looking at his options which includes OU. There is also some smoke about Jalen Hurts transferring to to OU. From what I'm being told, Austin Kendall will be announcing a transfer out within two weeks.

Last edited on Wed Jan 9th, 2019 01:46 am by SoonerRick46

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 01:52 am

SoonerRick46 wrote:
AllSooner wrote:

The players that committed to USC are not happy right now and SC looks like the proverbial dumpster fire. I've been told Bryce is not happy and looking at his options which includes OU. There is also some smoke about Jalen Hurts transferring to to OU. From what I'm being told, Austin Kendall will be announcing a transfer out within two weeks.
Is Austin not even going to wait on the Jalen Hurts situation to play out first?

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:00 am

Rumors of Austin transferring out is completely understandable to me.....and I can't blame him.  He's being recruited over BUT that's the fate of being one of the first recruited QB for Lincoln.  Lincoln came here unknown and it was prolly difficult for Lincoln to recruit the QB of the caliber he is today.  Austin's biggest problem was when that kid from TT decided to walk on at OU.  Once he got started, there was no looking back.....Austin became a backup instead of the starter we all thought he would be.  Then the other shoe fell when that kid from A&M got permission to transfer in.....the hole was dug and Austin only had a chance.  But if that kid from bama transfers in.....Austin could be buried for good. 

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:19 am

Did anyone watch Hurts last night? He looked like a second-teamer to me. Tua beat him out because he was a better passer. I don't want a Q-B that's second team player that looks more like the texas q-b than the last two Heismans we've had. We have two-second teamers on our current team. Let's give them a chance.

Hurts equals Trevor Knight imo.

SoonerinLA

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:21 am

Re: Bryce Young
Would love to get Bryce to OU.That high school team is just loaded year after year. We already have Jeremiah Criddell coming in this year and another DB from there coming in next year.

Hope we continue to get players from Mater Dei in the future. I wonder if Bryce Young would even come to OU considering we're going to have Rattler? Especially if Rattler shows he is a star in 2019.

Last edited on Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:22 am by SoonerinLA

wavoka

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:23 am

It’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off for ’em.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:27 am

jimmc wrote:
SoonerRick46 wrote:
AllSooner wrote:

Is Austin not even going to wait on the Jalen Hurts situation to play out first?

JMO, but I think Austin's seen the writing on the wall. Again, just my opinion, but I don't think he can beat out Tanner Mordecai, much less Rattler. Then add all the rumors about Hurts and now Young, he's gone. He's simply been recruited over and he knows it.

wavoka

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:30 am

SoonerRick46 wrote:
jimmc wrote:
SoonerRick46 wrote:
AllSooner wrote:

JMO, but I think Austin's seen the writing on the wall. Again, just my opinion, but I don't think he can beat out Tanner Mordecai, much less Rattler. Then add all the rumors about Hurts and now Young, he's gone. He's simply been recruited over and he knows it.

Is Hurts even worth having? He has never really impressed me, but maybe I am just missing something.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 11:42 am

K2C Sooner wrote:
Did anyone watch Hurts last night? He looked like a second-teamer to me. Tua beat him out because he was a better passer. I don't want a Q-B that's second team player that looks more like the texas q-b than the last two Heismans we've had. We have two-second teamers on our current team. Let's give them a chance.

Hurts equals Trevor Knight imo.

I agree, I have never seen an acceptable level of accuracy from Hurts during his collegiate career, especially for OU's style of offense. Coaching can help accuracy some if the QB is doing some glaring things in terms of how they plant when they throw and their throwing motion and help them with their decision making, but outside of that, a QB either has the accuracy or they don't.

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 12:15 pm

KC2Sooner wrote:Did anyone watch Hurts last night? He looked like a second-teamer to me. Tua beat him out because he was a better passer. I don't want a Q-B that's second team player that looks more like the texas q-b than the last two Heismans we've had. We have two-second teamers on our current team. Let's give them a chance.

And if Hurts does Transfer in "Can we at least give him a chance in our system before passing judgement?"(Reference SEC Champ Game)

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 12:37 pm

Hurts is a RB, not a QB. He's never impressed with his arm.

jwsooner

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 01:28 pm

wont hurt be a placeholder for Rattler to get into the swing of things and become the starter? it might be different if Rattler was coming to OU in the spring, but he won't be on campus until next summer.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:14 pm

Okay....this is hear-say. But I was told that Rattler was asked about possible QB transfers to OU and he stated that Lincoln assured him that QB transfers to OU were not going to happen this year.

Sorry for the "my-best-friend’s-sister’s-boyfriend’s-brother’s-girlfriend-heard-from-this-guy-who-knows-this-kid-who’s-going-with-a-girl" comment. But that's what I heard.

Last edited on Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:16 pm by StatesEye

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:44 pm

As far as need and fits, I can see Texas going after Hurts, but not OU.

It's been really strange that Riley has not offered anybody else since the Cali QB committed to the Trojans. In a QB oriented offense like Riley's something is up with that decision by Riley not to offer anyone else, that we don't know about. I kind of look for something on what Riley is thinking on that to shake out soon and I don't think it is Hurts.

Wonder if Riley really thinks he has big shot to convince Kyler to come back for one more rodeo or something like that. But I really believe something is up and don't think it is Hurts. We really need a new can of QB's and nobody knows this more than Riley and Riley isn't talking.

And if Austin is already planning to transfer, it apparently doesn't include Austin. We've heard rumors that Mordecai has looked good running scout team, but is he ready to turn the reins over to him?

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:50 pm

StatesEye wrote:
Okay....this is hear-say. But I was told that Rattler was asked about possible QB transfers to OU and he stated that Lincoln assured him that QB transfers to OU were not going to happen this year.

Sorry for the "my-best-friend’s-sister’s-boyfriend’s-brother’s-girlfriend-heard-from-this-guy-who-knows-this-kid-who’s-going-with-a-girl" comment. But that's what I heard.

I read that somewhere too.

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 06:44 pm

Seems like this happens often at Oklahoma , which is ok, give them a full release and wish them well.......and help them find a good landing spot

But it might be premature....unless Tanner is already considered to be ahead of Austin.....

Rattler May start right off but it is not likely for a QB not at OU for the spring...

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 07:07 pm

Zgeo wrote:
Seems like this happens often at Oklahoma , which is ok, give them a full release and wish them well.......and help them find a good landing spot

But it might be premature....unless Tanner is already considered to be ahead of Austin.....

Rattler May start right off but it is not likely for a QB not at OU for the spring...

If Kendall does leave, Rattler will be seeing playing time much earlier than expected as a backup up Mordecai. It could be fun watching Rattler facing defensive back-ups next season since OU will blow out teams on both offense and defense next season.

Of course, the other reason Kendall could be leaving is because Murray is coming back, but that would still leave Kendall two years, but he would be facing stiff competition.

oklahomazeppelin

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 01:31 am

So Tech had a NFL coach an fired him. It's almost as if they had a Heisman QB on their roster and didn't let him play...

Congrats to Kliff.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 07:48 pm

From what I'm being told, Hurts dad wants OU to consider him and OU is doing exactly that. He's visiting Maryland this weekend which is where is OC has become the HC. Evidently, Riley is trying to het Hurts to come in for a visit. Hurts is considering Maryland, TCU, texass and OU.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 09:27 pm

SoonerRick46 wrote:
From what I'm being told, Hurts dad wants OU to consider him and OU is doing exactly that. He's visiting Maryland this weekend which is where is OC has become the HC. Evidently, Riley is trying to het Hurts to come in for a visit. Hurts is considering Maryland, TCU, texass and OU.

I'm the third one in this string that heard that Riley told Rattler that there were no more QB's coming in this year.
I think it was an interview with Rattler during the Army HSAA game.
But, I wouldn't swear to it.
Maybe the actual statement to Rattler was that we wouldn't have any more than X total. If one leaves (highly likely), we definitely need to replace him. If we go in to the season with 2 or 3, we are in a heap of trouble.
One injury will have us talking about "Next Year".

Current time is 01:38 am