Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Final Rankings...

Final Rankings...
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 02:38 pm

1. Clemson (61)
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Notre Dame
6. LSU
T7. Florida
T7. Georgia
9. Texas
10. Washington State

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ap-top-25-poll-clemson-clear-no-1-ohio-state-at-no-3-in-final-college-football-rankings/

SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 03:10 pm

Ohio State #3 = Goodbye gift to Urban Meyer

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 03:14 pm

I bet Texas fans are upset coming in behind Georgia after beating them.

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 04:55 pm

Does this imply that the Committee got the wrong four in the CFP?  Will this affect next year's selections? 

UtahSooner83

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 05:11 pm

Have they altered the final 4 after the playoff before? Such BS

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 05:23 pm

I didn't know that Ohio St. played in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure they got rolled by a crappy Purdue team.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 06:07 pm

The rankings, at least in my mind, are not ONLY based on which teams a voter thinks is better, but also on accomplishment. I guess I don't have too much of an issue with tOSU being ranked ahead of OU. Both teams are probably pretty even and tOSU has a better record (that's the drawback of getting a playoff bid.....you play better teams at the end of the season).

No one remembers #2 thru #25, anyway........

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 07:21 pm

StatesEye wrote:
The rankings, at least in my mind, are not ONLY based on which teams a voter thinks is better, but also on accomplishment. I guess I don't have too much of an issue with tOSU being ranked ahead of OU. Both teams are probably pretty even and tOSU has a better record (that's the drawback of getting a playoff bid.....you play better teams at the end of the season).

The only good out of a playoff system is that no team is likely to break OU's 47 game winning streak.

If we go to an eight team playoff the two finalist teams would play 16 games. That means a team winning back to back to back National Championships would win 48 straight games. The team that did that would have to play four pretty good teams at the end of each of three seasons. That would be beating 12 likely close to top ranked teams.

That would be a Herculean accomplishment.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 10:01 pm

Walt wrote:
StatesEye wrote:

The only good out of a playoff system is that no team is likely to break OU's 47 game winning streak.

If we go to an eight team playoff the two finalist teams would play 16 games. That means a team winning back to back to back National Championships would win 48 straight games. The team that did that would have to play four pretty good teams at the end of each of three seasons. That would be beating 12 likely close to top ranked teams.

Actually, a back-to-back champion could do it.
Example: Lose first game of a season, then win 11 straight, plus a bowl game (12 consecutive wins). Year two, win 16 consecutive and first NC (28 Consecutive wins). Year three win 16 games and second NC (44 Consecutive wins). Then, in year 4 win 4 consecutive games, then lose a couple. Break the streak with only 2 championships.
A Bama dynasty or Clemson dynasty (or even an OU dynasty) could do it with just back-to-back championships.
Obviously, you can reduce the consecutive games in year 1 (less than 12) and increase the consecutive wins in year 4 (more than 4) and achieve the same, still with only 2 championships.

Last edited on Tue Jan 8th, 2019 10:03 pm by humblesooner

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 11:29 pm

To make 47 back in Bud's days a season consisted of 10 games.....so to reach 47, he basically had to have 4 undefeated seasons to accomplish that.  Today with seasons capable of reaching 15 games, a team would have to have 3 undefeated teams .  That would mean 3-pete national champ.  That may be possible, but highly unlikely, IMO.

Someone may want to check my math.....I'm getting old

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 11:52 pm

Walt wrote:

So you're saying in 3 years we'll have to start calling Lincoln Riley Hercules?

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 11:55 pm

None of this matters. OU is going to fix their damn defense and it will be over for college football.

Current time is 10:55 am