Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Iron sharpens iron but it doesn't come from the schedule, it comes from the practice field

Iron sharpens iron but it doesn't come from the schedule, it comes from the practice field
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 12:12 pm

The 2001 Miami and 2018 Clemson schedules have showed that. Their schedules may of helped in their regular season records, but it didn't determine who they were or make them better. That all hailed from talent and talent vs. talent on the practice field.

And this is what I hope Alex Grinch will bring to the table. I want to see the Sooner defense that blitzes and attempt to massively confuse the Sooner offense in practice so they will be ready for it in a live game. I want to see the Sooner corners mug the Sooner receivers at the LOS in practice so they will be ready for it in a live game.

The Sooner defense from a coaching and personnel standpoint haven't tested the Sooner offense in quite some time, nor have they properly prepared the offense for what may come in live games, especially the big games in the playoffs.

With a new defensive culture and constantly improving defensive talent, hopefully this will begin to change.

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 01:49 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:

And this is what I hope Alex Grinch will bring to the table.

Me too - the talent difference in what Clemson has now and what we have is staggering. It will probably take 2-3 recruiting cycles to get that kind of talent.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 02:16 pm

SoonerinDallas wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

Me too - the talent difference in what Clemson has now and what we have is staggering. It will probably take 2-3 recruiting cycles to get that kind of talent.

It won't take that many cycles for DBs and LBs. Unfortunately, DTs are another story. That will be a bigger challenge.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 02:22 pm

SoonerinDallas wrote: ClintA.Adams wrote:

Maybe, but I don't think OU is that far off and OU is at least equal (probably better) offensively. Don't take what you saw last night as an indication that Clemson is that much better than Alabama. In fact, if the game was played again next week, I would probably take Alabama. Clemson was certainly better prepared, and I've just got to say that Venables is probably the single biggest factor in Clemson's transformation, and the man was just outta-freakin-sight last night in his game plan. I found it very interesting that Alabama could run the ball fairly easily until they got to about the 30 to 20.....then nothing. 

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 05:27 pm

StatesEye wrote:
SoonerinDallas wrote: ClintA.Adams wrote:

Maybe, but I don't think OU is that far off and OU is at least equal (probably better) offensively. Don't take what you saw last night as an indication that Clemson is that much better than Alabama. In fact, if the game was played again next week, I would probably take Alabama. Clemson was certainly better prepared, and I've just got to say that Venables is probably the single biggest factor in Clemson's transformation, and the man was just outta-freakin-sight last night in his game plan. I found it very interesting that Alabama could run the ball fairly easily until they got to about the 30 to 20.....then nothing. 

Clemson was definitely the better team last night, but I'm not convinced they are the better team of the season. That's just how games go sometimes.

Clemson isn't as good as they showed and Alabama is not as bad as they showed. It was just Clemson's night.

It's kind of like in basketball where the shots fall for one team. but not the other, and it doesn't always come down to defense causing that. I wanted Alabama to win, but if they had to lose, that's how I would want themt o lose as Saban needed a dose of humility for once.

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 06:00 pm

Quote of the day (to say that Venables is probably the single biggest factor in Clemson's transformation, and the man was just outta-freakin-sight last night in his game plan. I found it very interesting that Alabama could run the ball fairly easily until they got to about the 30 to 20.....then nothing.

I agree 100%. Everyone keeps talking talent. You bet Clemson has talent. But no one can convince me they have
more talent than Bama & it was not just talent that prevailed on defense last night.Give Venables some credit,
The annoyers even kept saying how that Venables is probably the single biggest factor in Clemson's transformation, and the man was just outta-freakin-sight at how the defense attact at so many angles. Also NO ONE has said how much time bama had in prepairing for us. That was huge in our game.

Fly :ou:

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 06:09 pm

Fly wrote:
Quote of the day (to say that Venables is probably the single biggest factor in Clemson's transformation, and the man was just outta-freakin-sight last night in his game plan. I found it very interesting that Alabama could run the ball fairly easily until they got to about the 30 to 20.....then nothing.

I agree 100%. Everyone keeps talking talent. You bet Clemson has talent. But no one can convince me they have
more talent than Bama & it was not just talent that prevailed on defense last night.Give Venables some credit,
The annoyers even kept saying how that Venables is probably the single biggest factor in Clemson's transformation, and the man was just outta-freakin-sight at how the defense attact at so many angles. Also NO ONE has said how much time bama had in prepairing for us. That was huge in our game. Bama threw our defense & offense off early. We adjusted after giving 3 touch downs. We adjusted after giving 3 touch downs.

Fly :ou:

Last edited on Tue Jan 8th, 2019 06:12 pm by Fly

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 06:53 pm

I give credit to Swinney. Heck of a football coach. Swinney has shown he can replace assistants and not miss a beat.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 07:18 pm

I don't think anyone really knows how good our defensive linemen are because so far they haven't been asked to do anything more than take up space, if the Grinch follows his WSU days then they are for the first time going to be freed up to make plays.

We may not have half a dozen first round draft choices there but I expect them to produce more than in the past just because for once they are being asked to produce.

It's not like we were out there and just checking for a pulse in recruiting, we got talented players, our guys had stars too, but they are going to line up differently, think differently and hopefully starting now thru next August go back to basics learn how to do things the right way.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 07:23 pm

College football is a game of emotion, and quite often who wants it the most. Alabama really wanted us last week. They were tired of hearing about Kyler and our offense and you could see in their eyes their desire to win. It's also very hard to bring that level of emotion two weeks in a row. And you could tell last night that Clemson really wanted it and was tired of hearing about Bama. Oklahoma was the best thing that happened for Clemson as we took some of the fire out of Bama.

No offense to Clemson as I thought they had a great game plan, and played almost flawlessly. The Freshman receiver for Clemson played out of his mind last night. So much of the playoffs is timing and who you play when. I did think Clemson's defensive scheme and game plan was excellent. Brent was his usual fiery self and it seemed to transfer to his players. I'm hoping Grinch brings that kind of fire to the defense.

Oh, and unless you're totally outmanned at the LOS, it's usually easier to play defense inside the twenties as there is less field to cover. Your safeties can play a little closer to the LOS and so can your LBs. If their horses are way bigger and stronger than yours, it doesn't matter though. They just blow you off the ball. (Large part of our problem).

Plus, it took us a quarter to adjust to the level of physicality that they play with. You just don't see that in the Big XII. We need to play that way all the time, then there won't be such a huge adjustment in the playoff games. Remember our 2000 team? We surprised FL St with how much more physical we were than they were.

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 07:45 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
I give credit to Swinney. Heck of a football coach. Swinney has shown he can replace assistants and not miss a beat.

Maybe so, but it's which assistants you replace them with.
Clint I know it is hard for you to give Venables much credit & I like you a lot, but it,s fun to ruffle your
feathers from time to time.:lol::lol:

Fly:ou:

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:00 pm

Fly wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

Maybe so, but it's which assistants you replace them with.
Clint I know it is hard for you to give Venables much credit & I like you a lot, but it,s fun to ruffle your
feathers from time to time.:lol::lol:

That's OK, Fly. I got thick skim. :D That's also why I give all the credit in the world to Swinney's recruiting of those defensive tackles, linebackers and defensive backs.

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:39 pm

Yes I know you ole hard head :lol::lol::lol:

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 10:03 pm

A weak
Schedule lets you have dress scrimmages where you can both implement things and refine your technique without the chance of losing. A weak
Schedule is amped up practice. Teams with weak schedules seem to execute better

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 11:38 am

Zgeo wrote:
Teams with weak schedules seem to execute better

It also develops depth and lessens potential to injuries from the starters as they typically don't have to play all 4 quarters.

Soonerheart

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 07:08 pm

With the NFL trending in such an offensive direction increasingly smart top defensive players are going to go where they will face the best offenses and elite offensive players…That’s OU in practice and the Big 12.

With new OU defensive coaches I expect to see OU defensive recruiting very much improved in the coming years.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 09:18 pm

Soonerheart wrote: With the NFL trending in such an offensive direction increasingly smart top defensive players are going to go where they will face the best offenses and elite offensive players…That’s OU in practice and the Big 12.

With new OU defensive coaches I expect to see OU defensive recruiting very much improved in the coming years.
That'd be great if it works out that way.

Current time is 01:40 am