Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > We may be seeing a change in the future of college ball.

We may be seeing a change in the future of college ball.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
boomermet

Country of Origin: 
Signature: Nothing is genuine on the Internet anymore - Abraham Lincoln
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 04:24 am

I know we didnt do our job but we were in that game with no defense. Clemson and OU offense move the ball fast dont need the run creative, think OU offense is much better vs Bama. Bama big strong run run run. My opinion is football is changing away from Bama style to what OU is running. Pros seem to think so with Mahones and Mayfield. We need a d no doubt but the days of big run oriented offense may be history

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 04:31 am

That's the thing. If OU had a defense, Alabama doesn't have a 28-0 lead to start while the OU offense struggled. That isn't speculation, that's just common sense. And whatever that realistic difference would have been, just may have been enough.

Mayfield and Murray is as good as you get at QB, but OU will get more great QBs, Where OU still had work to do is to get more running backs where losing an Anderson doesn't matter and get more receivers where effectively losing a Brown doesn't matter and OU is getting their very quickly thanks to Riley's very active recruiting. Even the line will continue to get more talented and athletic than what we have seen. OU's offense hasn't peaked, it's still working towards its potential and Riley is a master play-caller.

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 04:34 am

...yOU cOUld be right, but how much yardage has Alabama rushed for ?

Seems to me Venables Defense made them one dimensional, forced them to pass the football because they couldn't run it.

I'm just an old guy, but I still think Defense can dictate how an offense has to try & move the chains.

OUr defense was silly putty this season. Couldn't really force a punt.

Grinch will change this.

Offense has changed, withOUt a dOUbt.

Defense still matters thOUgh!

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 04:37 am

Alabama had a peak of 160 rushing yards, but lost some on the Hurts sack so around 150. They did the job on the ground when you factor in the defensive front talent they are facing, but Alabama just didn't execute when they needed to.

You don't need a great defense to win the NC, Auburn showed that in 2010. What you can't have though is a defense ranked in the 100s. :D

EMan
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 04:44 am

Alabama was outscored 78-33 in the last 7 quarters.

Manoewar

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:18 am

ClintA.Adams wrote:
That's the thing. If OU had a defense, Alabama doesn't have a 28-0 lead to start while the OU offense struggled. That isn't speculation, that's just common sense. And whatever that realistic difference would have been, just may have been enough.

Mayfield and Murray is as good as you get at QB, but OU will get more great QBs, Where OU still had work to do is to get more running backs where losing an Anderson doesn't matter and get more receivers where effectively losing a Brown doesn't matter and OU is getting their very quickly thanks to Riley's very active recruiting. Even the line will continue to get more talented and athletic than what we have seen. OU's offense hasn't peaked, it's still working towards its potential and Riley is a master play-caller.

Pre playoff I've often said that it would be much harder for Saban to have to game plan for back to back great offences as opposed to putting together just one great one with four weeks. Another reason he spreads four bye weeks out each season.

I'm elated for BV and always thought he would become a great DC .. just thought it was a few years to early at OU.

SoonerLee

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 03:00 pm

7 on 7 has change the game with QBs being the focus. Receivers are like running backs as a valued player.its starting to over flow in the pro game.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 03:03 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:

My thought exactly... If OU had a D and Say limited Bama to 14 instead of 28.. OU wins that game in the second half. I really like Grinch's Speed D.. or at least the concept.. Awaiting the implementation ..

SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 03:20 pm

I think we saw both the future offense and defense in college football. 

The offense will need to create space and force the D to cover the entire field by being able to both run and pass.   They will need a creative OC that can disguise plays to make the defense think something else is coming at them while still running their base plays.

The D will have to evolve into something that can confuse the opposing QB and take advantage of offensive mistakes.

Last edited on Tue Jan 8th, 2019 03:23 pm by SwampSooner

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 04:49 pm

The days of the SEC style football (as paraded by the talking heads) are numbered!  What used to be referred to as a playground style football (think Big12) is taking over!......all the way to the NFL!

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 05:49 pm

EMan wrote:
Alabama was outscored 78-33 in the last 7 quarters.
Incredible, Saban would probably pay us to take Golding off his hands now. :D

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 07:20 pm

I think It worked out!!! OU got the better end of the Grinch/Golding lottery

jimmc

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 08:42 pm

captnop wrote:
I think It worked out!!! OU got the better end of the Grinch/Golding lottery(y)(y)

Current time is 01:40 am