Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > What is Alex Grinch like at practices and games?

What is Alex Grinch like at practices and games?
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2019 01:43 pm

What is Alex Grinch like at practices and games? A two-year Washington State starter gives enlightenment
By Eric Bailey Tulsa World

Garrett McBroom was a two-year Washington State starter for incoming Oklahoma defensive coordinator Alex Grinch.

If the defensive lineman had a message for OU’s players, what would that be?

“Just listen to him,” McBroom said on Sunday afternoon. “The guy is a defensive genius. His schemes work. He knows what he wants and he knows what he wants out of each player on every play.

“Just be coachable. You just have to trust the process.”

McBroom is a 2013 graduate of Stillwater High School. After redshirting one year and playing two seasons at NEO, he transferred to Washington State in 2016 and 2017.

Grinch was at the Pac-12 school between 2015-17 before spending last season at Ohio State.

Grinch was McBroom’s chief recruiter as WSU and sold him by giving him an opportunity to make an immediate impact.

“He was very informative, very straightforward,” McBroom said. “Whenever I saw him, we just talked basically about how his defense is and what he’s looking for in a player at that position.”

It was a player-coach relationship that was like family off the field, but intense when work needed to be done.

“If you’re talking to him outside of football, it is very down-to-earth, you can joke with him and have a good time,” McBroom said. “But once it is football time, he’s locked in and it’s another ballgame.”

Before each practice, McBroom said, Grinch would give examples of people achieving greatness by doing great things. It could be how a basketball team in a game the evening before had executed a play to perfection. It could an encouraging quote.

Grinch also depends on statistics, McBroom said.

“He uses a lot of statistics. A lot of what he talks about is statistic-based,” McBroom said. “He knows percentages around turnovers. He knows how many turnovers equal what success rate. It’s all mapped out. It all makes sense. It’s scientific, man. He’s got a method.”

In 2017, Grinch’s defense forced 27 turnovers. By comparison, Oklahoma only managed to gain 28 takeaways in the 2017 and 2018 seasons combined.

“Something we emphasized was celebrating with our teammates after a turnover,” McBroom said. “We had this thing where, if you got a turnover, the whole defense throws up a fist. That’s the best thing you can get on defense. That’s something he emphasizes a ton.”

Tough times hit all college football teams during a season. How does Grinch handle adversity?

“There were games where we didn’t play well in the first half,” McBroom said. “He just told us to trust in him. Keep doing what we’re doing. Keep working hard. Keep fighting.

“There were a lot of times where we were able to turn it around in the second half. We’d make adjustments and we were fine.”

When studying Grinch’s background, a constant comes up. At Washington State, the defense was simplified and built around team speed.

“He wants us to do certain things, to do it well and do it efficiently,” McBroom said. “We had lots of reps. We basically practiced this stuff where it was instinctual. You didn’t have to think about where to go and what to do on a play. We would rep it enough and do run-throughs where it was just second nature.

“That allows his players to not think about it. You play quicker. It’s instinctual.”

McBroom can’t wait to see how his former defensive coordinator will do at Oklahoma. He expects that the coach will make the same impression on the OU players as Grinch did on him.

“He has a very good impact on anybody he’s around,” McBroom said. “He’s very motivational. He gives a lot of examples of these massively successful guys and the building blocks that they used to get there.

“It rubs off on his players. You hear it every day and it starts to stick.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou/ou-football-what-is-alex-grinch-like-at-practices-and/article_4469e19e-8d77-5483-9a8c-00d10345c061.html

Aries

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2019 02:33 pm

I am liking what I'm reading about this guy.  Can't wait to see what kind of impact he has.

Aries

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2019 03:54 pm

In-game adjustments
Be instinctual
Be simple, but good

I like all of that.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2019 05:33 pm

Bruce Feldman tweet from a few days ago:

"Mike Leach has hired a bunch of fantastic assts over the yrs. I think Alex Grinch was the shrewdest hire he’s ever made . . . Pac12 coaches told me Grinch was the most unpredictable playcaller in the league."

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1081264425925918721

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2019 06:35 pm

There's not a ton of tape on him or his defense out there. The best one I found, WSU vs Oregon, I posted on another thread.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2019 07:03 pm

SoonerRick46 wrote:
There's not a ton of tape on him or his defense out there. The best one I found, WSU vs Oregon, I posted on another thread.

I watched a few clips of that game and beyond the way the defense played one thing that jumped out at me was when one of the defenders got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, and he was immediately taken out of the game.

Last year our defense would do something good then turn around with something stupid penalty wise and usually the guy just stayed in the game, hopefully a little discipline will correct that.

Current time is 04:18 pm