AuthorPost
OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 5th, 2019 08:57 pm

...to OKLAHOMA in 2019.

WOW!

With a guaranteed shot at MLB and a potential first rOUnd draft selection in the NFL, the choice to return and qb the SOONERS wOUld seem his least likely option.

Does a another chance at a National Title seem adequate motivation to roll the dice with his future?

It is becoming apparent that Murray prefers the gridiron to the diamond. But, even thOUgh there is an abundance of offensive talent at the skill positions at OU, and there is the potential for a vastly improved defense, his offensive line will be a rebuilt one.

Interesting, given all the speculation and questions Riley's fielded & evaded most of last season when asked abOUt Kyler's possible return as a senior.

Kind of fascinating to ponder.

:ou::ou::ou:

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 5th, 2019 09:05 pm

One thing to keep in mind, Murray didn't even have to play this year and did. He truly does it for the here and now and the love of the game. I could see unfinished business driving him. While I think he goes, I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see him a return.

oklahomazeppelin

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 01:17 am

If he stays, OU could win it all. I think he should go though, for his own sake I mean.

OU will win it all by 2020 at latest. Lincoln is the real deal.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 01:19 am

I think the risk to come back to OU is too high. If he's going to stay with football he needs to go to the NFL. I've seen where he would be a first round pick as the QB group this year isn't as strong and next year's group is supposed to be much better overall class.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 02:03 am

Unfortunately, Gil Brandt has as much inside information as I do - which is none.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 02:40 am

MsProudSooner wrote:
Unfortunately, Gil Brandt has as much inside information as I do - which is none.

I'm absolutely positive that Gil Brandt has more experience and knowledge than 99.9999% of all the fans that roam these college sports message boards. He certainly has the experience to have an opinion about Kyler's potential long term value in the NFL.

bowhuntr

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 02:49 am

Walt wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

I'm absolutely positive that Gil Brandt has more experience and knowledge than 99.9999% of all the fans that roam these college sports message boards. He certainly has the experience to have an opinion about Kyler's potential long term value in the NFL.

(y)(y)(y)

Gerry

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 03:36 am

I think if Kyler hadn't already made his mind up to play baseball next year, he did in those moments looking up at the sky after the attempt by the Bama goon to decapitate him.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 04:34 am

Walt wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

Opinions are free. Everyone can have one, even the most uninformed.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 04:07 pm

MsProudSooner wrote:
Walt wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

Yes they are free. Some are informed and some aren't. Brandt was so uninformed that he called Bob Stoops to tell him that he needed to hire Lincoln Riley. And, look at OU and Lincoln Riley and OU football now! As I said the first time Gil Brandt may be an old man, but he is still an old man who stays up to date about all things football. He is likely one of the most informed football people out there.

And, and you are correct in that some are very, very informed while some aren't. :shock:

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2019 02:33 am

MsProudSooner wrote:
I think Brandt was one of the folks who was convinced Riley was going to be the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys.....oh well...

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 10:46 pm

Kyler to MLB

Why not?

Move forward not backward....

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 01:13 am

Brandt says there are three options:
1. Go play baseball for the Oakland A's
2. Declare for the NFL Draft and pay back the A's signing bonus.
3. Report to his minor league team and play baseball through the summer. Then return to OU in the fall for football.

While option 3 is probably the least likely, it is the one option that allows Murray to continue to play both sports. It also gives him a chance to see what MLB is like and see if he still wants to pursue a baseball career.

Not all that far-fetched.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 03:11 pm

humblesooner wrote:
Brandt says there are three options:
1. Go play baseball for the Oakland A's
2. Declare for the NFL Draft and pay back the A's signing bonus.
3. Report to his minor league team and play baseball through the summer. Then return to OU in the fall for football.

While option 3 is probably the least likely, it is the one option that allows Murray to continue to play both sports. It also gives him a chance to see what MLB is like and see if he still wants to pursue a baseball career.

Not all that far-fetched.

A few days ago I thought no way it would happen, but the silence from everyone connected, OU, A's, and most importantly Murray makes me begin to wonder if something isn't brewing behind the scenes.

#3 in the above options is the one I seem to hear a lot of places (by people that probably don't know) but just curious how that would work? First wouldn't the minor league season start in the spring, how would Murray stay academically eligible? Can he take enough classes while playing baseball? Second wouldn't the minor league season end after fall practices begin in August or late July? Might miss spring because probably wouldn't do much in the spring anyway, but got to be there with the team for the fall I'd think.

Soonerheart

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 06:02 pm

Walt wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:
Walt wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

Yes they are free. Some are informed and some aren't. Brandt was so uninformed that he called Bob Stoops to tell him that he needed to hire Lincoln Riley. And, look at OU and Lincoln Riley and OU football now! As I said the first time Gil Brandt may be an old man, but he is still an old man who stays up to date about all things football. He is likely one of the most informed football people out there.

And, and you are correct in that some are very, very informed while some aren't. :shock:

This^
Maybe some OU fans are unaware that Gil Brandt has been mentoring Lincoln Riley since his early coaching days at Texas Tech and that the 2 have a very close friendship.
Gill Brandt knows his football and has compared Lincoln’s football mind to Tom Landry’s.

Lincoln Riley has spoken in depth many times taking copious notes with several older football coaches and administrators seeking advice about how they handed certain situations. Lincoln said he still looks back at these notes when making decisions.

This has been a very wise move by Riley who is extremely well organized…and someone who is a great listener soaking up all the information he can….something we could all take a clue from.

But its relationships like these that helps make Riley seem much wiser than his years would suggest.

Riley will be at OU for a very long time provided we provide the program with all the facilities he needs to compete for national titles.

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 06:50 pm

Soonerheart wrote: Lincoln Riley has spoken in depth many times taking copious notes with several older football coaches and administrators seeking advice about how they handed certain situations. Lincoln said he still looks back at these notes when making decisions.

This has been a very wise move by Riley who is extremely well organized…and someone who is a great listener soaking up all the information he can….something we could all take a clue from.
You don't learn anything when you are talking.  Which makes me wonder about Crint's Wonderlic score.  ;):beer:;)

Serenity Now

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 06:54 pm

How awesome would it be for him to do minor league ball and to push off the decision a year and do one more year of college football?

I think his brain is with baseball but his heart is with football. I think he has the potential to make more money over his career in baseball and it will be medically safer looking back from his 50 year old self. However, I think the $ are more of a sure bet in football but probably not as much and not as long.

It really comes down to where his heart is.

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 07:08 pm

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/01/09/gil-brandt-right-oakland-draft-pick-kyler-murray-could-follow-fathers-blueprint-return-oklahoma

Attachment: 1 dont feel bad.jpg (Downloaded 79 times)

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 07:09 pm

He didn't have t play football this past season, but did and he was visibly upset about the outcome of the playoff semi-final. He's a competitor and it wouldn't shock me if he did in fact return. Hell, I'm a competitor, but I would still take the money and run and compete at the professional level if I were him. ;)

Soonerheart

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 09:20 pm

I believe Murray should follow his heart but it would be a mistake to underestimate the passion of a competitor like Kyler Murray. He hates losing.

With his dad and uncle advising him Kyler may already know that when his sports days are over that he would regret not coming back.

With everything OU has coming in or back Kyler would be the favorite to win a second Heisman. He could improve his NFL draft position, making millions more in the process.

Current time is 04:17 pm