SoonerSports.com link
Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search
   
Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 


Off Topic
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

New Topic

Reply

Print
AuthorPost
Walt
Administrator


Joined: Fri Apr 13th, 2007
Location: The High Plains Of NW Oklahoma.
Posts: 14364
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Online
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 03:26 am

Quote

Reply

StatesEye
Member
 

Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 670
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 03:59 am

Quote

Reply
Wow! Gorgeous. Where and how?

whitefeather
Member
 

Joined: Sun Nov 11th, 2018
Location:  
Posts: 18
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 04:39 am

Quote

Reply
Nice work. Get that in AZ?:ou:

Walt
Administrator


Joined: Fri Apr 13th, 2007
Location: The High Plains Of NW Oklahoma.
Posts: 14364
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Online
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 05:17 am

Quote

Reply
StatesEye wrote:
Wow! Gorgeous. Where and how?



In a canyon laying on a ledge with an overhang. The background is blue sky with some scattered dark gray clouds. Shot at f4.0 with at a fast shutter speed. This is a 25% crop of he original file then reducing the file size by roughly 75% to fit the space on the board. I do HDRs and run my singles through the HDR software. I shoot in RAW which gives me roughly 20 MB files. Running the RAW file through the HDR software yields a .tif file of about 65MB This heavily cropped tif file is about 7MB so as to fit the space above which is roughly 10% of the HDR tif file. If, I wanted I could print a 40 by 60 poster without any degradation of the image.

I probably shot 75 to 100 frames. One of them is the cat yawning with his tongue rolled up. You can see what looks like a hole in his tongue. His/her teeth need a cleaning.

I will probably send this file to a shop in Dallas that puts the image on aluminium. They make a great looking piece of art.

Last edited on Fri Jan 4th, 2019 05:18 am by Walt

Aries
Member
 

Joined: Mon Nov 20th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 178
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 11:50 am

Quote

Reply
That is an awesome pic!

Aries

WishBone
Member


Joined: Wed Jul 25th, 2018
Location: Unfortunatlely, Arkansas USA
Posts: 505
Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 12:34 pm

Quote

Reply
Nice work Walt.............

ClintA.Adams
Administrator
 

Joined: Tue Jul 24th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 14221
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 01:01 pm

Quote

Reply
Does it taste like chicken?

47Straight
Member


Joined: Tue Aug 14th, 2007
Location: Amarillo
Posts: 6901
Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 02:51 pm

Quote

Reply
Hey, that's super.  I hope you put some more of him on cwuap.

Walt
Administrator


Joined: Fri Apr 13th, 2007
Location: The High Plains Of NW Oklahoma.
Posts: 14364
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Online
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 03:09 pm

Quote

Reply
47Straight wrote:
Hey, that's super.  I hope you put some more of him on cwuap.


Will do that. Getting ready to leave ... so will try to do some more processing tonight. I'm usually tired from lugging 45 pounds of camera, lens and tripod all over looking for something to shoot. Have mostly done landscapes and processing them takes lots of time.

soonerBAS
Member
 

Joined: Fri Nov 17th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 739
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 03:10 pm

Quote

Reply
ClintA.Adams wrote:
Does it taste like chicken?

even though the Oklahoma Game wardens will say they don't live in Oklahoma.. I had one look at me several years ago at our farm like he thought I might taste like chicken.

unfortunately this was just before they put camera's on phones .. the young'uns are probably shocked, phones didn't always have camera's.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator
 

Joined: Tue Jul 24th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 14221
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 03:13 pm

Quote

Reply
soonerBAS wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:
Does it taste like chicken?the young'uns are probably shocked, phones didn't always have camera's.



Or even know what a "rotary" phone is. ;)

47Straight
Member


Joined: Tue Aug 14th, 2007
Location: Amarillo
Posts: 6901
Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 03:39 pm

Quote

Reply
ClintA.Adams wrote: soonerBAS wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:
Does it taste like chicken?the young'uns are probably shocked, phones didn't always have camera's.



Or even know what a "rotary" phone is. ;)
...or remember when their phone number was two longs and a short.

sybil
Moderator


Joined: Sun Aug 12th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 8196
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 03:53 pm

Quote

Reply
thanks for sharing (y):cool:

sybarite
Member
 

Joined: Thu Sep 6th, 2007
Location: Dallas--or Thereabouts
Posts: 5489
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 03:57 pm

Quote

Reply
Used a tripod-mounted 1000 mm to record 24 hours of Strahlenburg Castle in Schriesheim, Germany.  The shots were most interesting at night when the lights were turned on.  This was about 300 meters from my patio.

boomermet
Member
 

Joined: Thu Jan 24th, 2008
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 562
Country of Origin: 
Signature: Nothing is genuine on the Internet anymore - Abraham Lincoln
Status:  Online
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 04:38 pm

Quote

Reply
Which model Canon?

Triple Option
Member


Joined: Mon Oct 25th, 2010
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Posts: 2315
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 04:40 pm

Quote

Reply
Walt wrote:


soonerBAS wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:
Does it taste like chicken?
I had one look at me several years ago at our farm like he thought I might taste like chicken.


This pic reminds me of one of those clickbait ads with a caption like - "The last photo he ever took!"

Pretty awesome photo Walt!

StatesEye
Member
 

Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 670
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 10:41 pm

Quote

Reply
Walt, you have some good to very good dark skies in NW OK. Have you done any astrophotography?

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=8&lat=4360287&lon=-10918929&layers=B0FFFFTFFFF

Last edited on Fri Jan 4th, 2019 10:42 pm by StatesEye

StatesEye
Member
 

Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 670
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 10:45 pm

Quote

Reply
Since it's kinda slow I thought I would share some astrophotography (recently aquired) of mine. The image is of The Great Orion Nebula. It's located around the middle star of the Orion's sword.

Attachment: orion 1-5-19-ST-small2.jpg (Downloaded 187 times)

Last edited on Wed Jan 9th, 2019 10:46 pm by StatesEye

DartmouthSooner
Member


Joined: Tue Aug 7th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 995
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 12:31 am

Quote

Reply
Great photos by all of you.
Thanks for posting.

K2C Sooner
Member


Joined: Wed Feb 17th, 2016
Location:  
Posts: 3352
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 01:33 am

Quote

Reply
DartmouthSooner wrote:
Great photos by all of you.
Thanks for posting.




I agree. I'm still waiting on some bear pictures from Walt.
:dude:

Walt
Administrator


Joined: Fri Apr 13th, 2007
Location: The High Plains Of NW Oklahoma.
Posts: 14364
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Online
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 02:20 am

Quote

Reply
StatesEye wrote:
Walt, you have some good to very good dark skies in NW OK. Have you done any astrophotography?

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=8&lat=4360287&lon=-10918929&layers=B0FFFFTFFFF


The answer is no, with the exception of photographing the moon. I have played around with it some and have even went to a place in Norman that specializes in astrophotography. To do it right I would have to purchase a new and expensive heavy duty tripod along with the equipment to track the stars or what ever it is you want to photograph. Came close to doing it, but finally come to the conclusion that I had enough hobbies to keep me busy.

Claire is the one with the big telescope and who is so knowledgeable about astronomy. She is the one who got us into the Kitt Peak National Obsevatory last night. We did the Deep Sky Obsevatory program. There were eight astronomy nerds and then me. They oohed and awded over seeing Neptune and Mars that were about the size of a needle head. Neptune was a fuzzy blue ball and Mars was a fuzzy orange ball. I didn't get all that excited seening them. :big confused:


Here is a link from the program last night. This is much better than looking through the telescope.

https://kittpeak.wordpress.com/2019/01/08/january-8th-2019-dark-sky-discovery-with-carmen/

And, yes we have some dark skies in NWern Oklahoma. I grew up about 120 miles East of Black Mesa in Cimarron County. I used to know the guy who spent his life walking all over the West side od Camarron County. He carried a notebook and had found dozens of Dinosaur tracks and keep records of where they were etc. For the life of me I can't recall his name.

I've been out there at night and you can't see a light anywhere ... total black night except for the moon etc.

ClaireOKC
Administrator


Joined: Sun Apr 22nd, 2007
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 462
Country of Origin: 
Signature: Sage of Stylish Sewing Stimulation!
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 03:51 am

Quote

Reply
Well, since I'm the science nerd here, it was a spectacular night mostly because these are objects that unless you are Carl Sagan or friends of Carl, you will never have the opportunity to do something like this unless it's in this sort of atmosphere. I was astonished. The scope was a Cassegrain 12" which is a fat squatty type of scope and the fatness means that it can bring in more light and thus see further into space.

I expected to see some of the moon (fingernail crescent right now), and it was a great time to see it, but then we went to Neptune. That I wasn't expecting cause you can't even see that with a decent scope. You must have a very good scope, that means $20K or more. After that, she showed us nebulae that had long since exploded its contents into space and the remnants were being lit up by the core which is now a white dwarf. Seriously you can't see this without super pro equipment, and this was a real hit to see this stuff.

Then we did some clusters and planetary clusters that were fun - the Dumbell planetary cluster (small Dumbell) and Mars where you can actually see the canals of Mars - it WAS more than a fuzzy orange ball.

She also pointed out the Pleiades which is also called the Seven Sisters. In Japanese they call this constellation Subaru...and if you notice the Subaru logo, it's in the shape of the constellation - well a modern shape....

Yes, you're right there aren't seven stars in the Subaru logo, but there aren't really 7 "definite" stars in the Pleiades either



But the best was the last - the Orion Nebulae which any star nerd knows is the middle star in Orion's sword. When you look in the sky, it looks like an out-of-focus star, and when you look through binoculars, it's evident that it's not a crisp dot of light. I can even see the nebulae in my little Dobsonian.

Pretty Neat!

StatesEye
Member
 

Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 670
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 02:20 pm

Quote

Reply
ClaireOKC wrote: Well, since I'm the science nerd here, it was a spectacular night mostly because these are objects that unless you are Carl Sagan or friends of Carl, you will never have the opportunity to do something like this unless it's in this sort of atmosphere. I was astonished. The scope was a Cassegrain 12" which is a fat squatty type of scope and the fatness means that it can bring in more light and thus see further into space.

I expected to see some of the moon (fingernail crescent right now), and it was a great time to see it, but then we went to Neptune. That I wasn't expecting cause you can't even see that with a decent scope. You must have a very good scope, that means $20K or more. After that, she showed us nebulae that had long since exploded its contents into space and the remnants were being lit up by the core which is now a white dwarf. Seriously you can't see this without super pro equipment, and this was a real hit to see this stuff.

Then we did some clusters and planetary clusters that were fun - the Dumbell planetary cluster (small Dumbell) and Mars where you can actually see the canals of Mars - it WAS more than a fuzzy orange ball.

She also pointed out the Pleiades which is also called the Seven Sisters. In Japanese they call this constellation Subaru...and if you notice the Subaru logo, it's in the shape of the constellation - well a modern shape....

Yes, you're right there aren't seven stars in the Subaru logo, but there aren't really 7 "definite" stars in the Pleiades either



But the best was the last - the Orion Nebulae which any star nerd knows is the middle star in Orion's sword. When you look in the sky, it looks like an out-of-focus star, and when you look through binoculars, it's evident that it's not a crisp dot of light. I can even see the nebulae in my little Dobsonian.

Pretty Neat!Wow! Fantastic shot of the Pleiades (or Subaru - meaning "unite" - as the Japanese have it). Very nice pick up of the reflection nebula......did you do this?
I can kinda understand Walt's less then enthusiastic response to looking at Neptune and Mars. However, Saturn (always!), Jupiter and even Venus are a real treat......and, of course, the Moon.
Sounds like the perfect sort of skies to use the "light bucket" you were using. I'm glad you guys got to enjoy it. People either forget (or have never seen) a truly dark sky. It's a spectacularly bejeweled exhibition. Every time I see it I exclaim "My God!"......and that's not in the "name in vain" way, either.
For those of you that think you have a truly dark sky (Bortle Class 1) where you live, you most probably don't. I suggest you take a gander at the link I provided to Walt and see how far you'd have to drive. Bortle Class 2 skies are good too, though.
Thanks, Claire.

Walt
Administrator


Joined: Fri Apr 13th, 2007
Location: The High Plains Of NW Oklahoma.
Posts: 14364
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Online
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 08:03 pm

Quote

Reply
Thought I might post a couple more critters. We got home late Thursday night. Had lots of catching up today. Started to get into 2018 taxes ... just didn't have the heart to get started on that yet ... will wait until Monday.

Anyway, got lucky with a Great Horned Owl. These guys are hard to find. Like most wildlife they are don't pose for you and they don't know your daily schedule. The Great Horned, like most owls are nocturnal and usually aren't out and about during the day. This one was just flying around like this was normal.

Got this one in flight and in quite a bit of trash. This is a heavily cropped photo. The original is full wing span. I liked this cropped photo better as it gets the focus on the right eye. This one will go on an aluminum plate. I might have this one made up on a 24 by 36 inch plate.

StatesEye
Member
 

Joined: Mon Aug 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 670
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 10:28 pm

Quote

Reply
Excellent detail of the feathers on the right wing. An impressive shot, especially considering it is in flight. Quite the skill, Walt. I'm assuming the same lens? Really wide open on the f-ratio. Not surprised, though......the owl is absolutely frozen in the frame.


Another really nice feature of the image, IMO, is the shadow on the owl's body. It falls almost perfectly in line with the wing edges. This guides the viewer (at least me) from top left to bottom right. The very same direction the owl is looking. Makes you wonder what the owl sees. Although, I'm sure this feature was unintended it is still a very nice effect.

Speaking of those feathers. They are key to the owl's near silent flight. If those reading this would like an exhibition of an owl's exceptional stealth in flight, watch the video in the link below.

https://www.pbs.org/video/nature-owl-shows-silent-flight-superpower/

Walt
Administrator


Joined: Fri Apr 13th, 2007
Location: The High Plains Of NW Oklahoma.
Posts: 14364
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Online
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2019 01:08 pm

Quote

Reply
StatesEye wrote:
Excellent detail of the feathers on the right wing. An impressive shot, especially considering it is in flight. Quite the skill, Walt. I'm assuming the same lens? Really wide open on the f-ratio. Not surprised, though......the owl is absolutely frozen in the frame.


Another really nice feature of the image, IMO, is the shadow on the owl's body. It falls almost perfectly in line with the wing edges. This guides the viewer (at least me) from top left to bottom right. The very same direction the owl is looking. Makes you wonder what the owl sees. Although, I'm sure this feature was unintended it is still a very nice effect.

Speaking of those feathers. They are key to the owl's near silent flight. If those reading this would like an exhibition of an owl's exceptional stealth in flight, watch the video in the link below.

https://www.pbs.org/video/nature-owl-shows-silent-flight-superpower/


Shooting birds in flight is a challenge. This lens is a 500mm Canon with an f4 aperture. So, unless you have bright sunlight getting the shutter speed up is sometimes a challenge. Then getting an opportunity to catch them in open space is an issue as well. Using automatic focus in trash is a crap shoot. The camera I use on this lens is a Canon 1Dx. On moving objects I always shoot at 12 frames/second. It was a partly cloudy day and I got lucky with decent sun. I had the ISO cranked up to 800 and that gave me enough shutter speed.

Fly
Member
 

Joined: Sat Sep 3rd, 2016
Location:  
Posts: 507
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2019 02:00 pm

Quote

Reply
Walt it is funny you say that about Game wardens saying
cougars don't live in Okla. I saw one at night driving to
the quick stop a 1/4 mile from my house. The fellow down
the road caught it on his game camera over his deer feeder
the same week I saw it. Now this will blow everyone's
mind, but it,s on camera & cameras do not lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=435rdFFcVfY

Fly :ou: GREAT PIC by the way!

jimmc
Moderator


Joined: Tue Aug 7th, 2007
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 1614
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2019 03:10 pm

Quote

Reply
Beautiful pics. (y)

Triple Option
Member


Joined: Mon Oct 25th, 2010
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Posts: 2315
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Offline
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2019 03:30 pm

Quote

Reply
Walt wrote:
Shooting birds in flight is a challenge.

I'm pretty sure that's why God created shotguns.

Walt
Administrator


Joined: Fri Apr 13th, 2007
Location: The High Plains Of NW Oklahoma.
Posts: 14364
Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Status:  Online
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 12:55 am

Quote

Reply
Triple Option wrote:
Walt wrote:
Shooting birds in flight is a challenge.

I'm pretty sure that's why God created shotguns.


I've used a 12 gauge shot gun on many, many occasions to shoot ring neck pheasant and quail. That is easy compared to getting a great shot at one of our predator birds. They are fast and change directions. It is rare to get close top this owl.

I have a bunch of eagle shots that are pretty good. On a couple of occasions I set all hunkered down in front of an owl nest for hours at a time and never got a good chance at a nice photo. I've spent days trying to get that perfect shot of of an Osprey hitting the water and surfacing with a trout in his grasp. Not ever got close to the kind of shot I want.

When in Yellowstone we park our RV backed up to the Yellowstone River in Gardiner Montana. We always see them fishing right out our back window. We are heading that way in early May for a few more weeks of wolves and bears. Hope to get lucky and get my Osprey photo as well.


 Current time is 04:18 pm
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  




Powered by WowBB 1.7 - Copyright © 2003-2006 Aycan Gulez