Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > Music/Videos/Movies/Books > Killers of the Flower Moon - The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

Killers of the Flower Moon - The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
 Moderated by: sybil  

Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '18
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2018 02:11 pm

I have just finished reading "Killers of the Flower Moon" by David Grann.  It is the story of the murders of many of the extremely wealthy Osage indians in Osage county OK in the 1920s that led into the birth of the FBI.   Time magazine listed it as one of its top ten non-fiction books of 2017, and goodreads gave it 4.11 stars.

I was born in Hobart,  attended OU for 7.25 semesters, and had never heard of this part of Oklahoma's history.  I was searching for something to read and ran across this extremely well reviewed book and decided to check this out of the library.

Although it tells an interesting story, I found it to be a tuff read. If you are an Oklahoman and don't know this story, I would suggest you read it as your civic duty.  If you are just looking for some good reading, I'd recommend you keep looking.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 09:47 pm

My brother gave me that book a couple of months ago. My grandson took possession with a promise to return it. We'll see.

BTW, The first part of the movie "The FBI Story" starring Jimmy Stewart touched on that history. Great movie.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 01:38 am

K2C Sooner wrote:
My brother gave me that book a couple of months ago. My grandson took possession with a promise to return it. We'll see.

BTW, The first part of the movie "The FBI Story" starring Jimmy Stewart touched on that history. Great movie.

Every time I hear someone say they don't know about the Osage murders, I think to myself, "You never saw The FBI Story'.

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '18
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 02:34 pm

MsProudSooner wrote: K2C Sooner wrote:

Every time I hear someone say they don't know about the Osage murders, I think to myself, "You never saw The FBI Story'.
I probably did see "The FBI Story", because in my college years I saw every movie that came out and I always liked Jimmie Stewart.  However, I have no memory of it now.  That may be because my ageing brain will only hold so many movie memories and the year it came out (1959) also included the release of Ben Hur, North by Northwest, Some Like it Hot, Anatomy of a Murder, and On the Beach.  All of which I do still have some memory of.

serendipity5

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 7th, 2018 05:38 am

I had it, but I never got around to reading it. I may still have it.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 8th, 2018 12:33 am

47Straight wrote:

I probably did see "The FBI Story", because in my college years I saw every movie that came out and I always liked Jimmie Stewart.  However, I have no memory of it now.  That may be because my ageing brain will only hold so many movie memories and the year it came out (1959) also included the release of Ben Hur, North by Northwest, Some Like it Hot, Anatomy of a Murder, and On the Beach.  All of which I do still have some memory of.

The only reason I remembered it is the Oklahoma connection. I don't remember much else about it.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 8th, 2018 03:58 am

MsProudSooner wrote:
47Straight wrote:

The only reason I remembered it is the Oklahoma connection. I don't remember much else about it.

The good guy's won in that movie.:D I can't believe anyone can't remember the FBI shooting down Dillinger at the movie theater. Great movie.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 8th, 2018 03:58 am

MsProudSooner wrote:
47Straight wrote:

The good guy's won in that movie.:D I can't believe anyone can't remember the FBI shooting down Dillinger at the movie theater. Great movie.

Current time is 06:43 pm