AuthorPost
Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 11:08 pm

Wvsooner wrote:
I may be in the minority here, but I do think the defense is getting better. I think it has a chance to be very good.

I rewatched the game. I feel like we are pretty good up front. On the back end, we did miss a few tackles that hurt us big, but it wasn't nearly as many as I was initially thinking.

We also ran the ball with our running backs much better than I thought we did.

I think you are on the right track with your comments. We are better up front, but very young on the back side. With a couple of egregious mistakes the DL played a very good game. I thought that Murray and Bolton played pretty good with the exception of Bolton on a couple of tackles. We had pretty good coverage, but the open field tackling left a lot to be desired.

Still, I think this defense will get better as the season progresses.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 11:10 pm

K2C Sooner wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:
The problem is, defense has been a problem for every season since 2012, except for 2013 and the constant there is Mike Stoops. Riley didn't get to pick his DC really as far as last season. We'll see how things go this off-season.

I'm going to see how things go this season. ;);):dude:

I can already tell you; Mike Stoops will still be here this season. ;)

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 11:11 pm

WishBone wrote:
It cant be forgotten that some of the same ones calling for MS's head were screamin to Run Brent V out of town also.

And that needed to be done based on the results just as it needs to be done now as well.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 11:13 pm

Walt wrote:
Wvsooner wrote:
I may be in the minority here, but I do think the defense is getting better. I think it has a chance to be very good.

I rewatched the game. I feel like we are pretty good up front. On the back end, we did miss a few tackles that hurt us big, but it wasn't nearly as many as I was initially thinking.

We also ran the ball with our running backs much better than I thought we did.

I think you are on the right track with your comments. We are better up front, but very young on the back side. With a couple of egregious mistakes the DL played a very good game. I thought that Murray and Bolton played pretty good with the exception of Bolton on a couple of tackles. We had pretty good coverage, but the open field tackling left a lot to be desired.

Still, I think this defense will get better as the season progresses.

I agree with that and some will be due to experience by the youngsters and other due to player personnel changes that can happen.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 11:31 pm

Triple Option wrote:
SoonerMike wrote:
It is kinda amusing to see the dislike one coach on a staff can receive, as if ALL the fault is the on the DC.
I believe the head coach lays out the practice schedule, position coaches spend the most time with the different position players, and the DC makes up the game plan.
While I am not a big fan of our present DC, doesn't some of the blame go on the other coaches, from head coach to position coaches. The DC rightfully receives most of the blame, but LR and the defensive coaches deserve part of the scorn. And we are just now benefiting from stability in the Dline coach, and DB coach in better recruiting. Do we want to go through another big change in coaches, and lose the momentum we have with recruits?

We already have an assistant head coach and defensive analyst giving imput into the defense. We are undefeated, and have a lot of talented youth on defense. We have another top class of recruits committed. We need to improve on defense for sure, but we need to not do anything rash. LR has made some additions to shore up the defensive planning and analysis, we don't need disruptions outside the program causing problems. This ain't Texass, we are improving on the field, and in recruiting.
Cool it a bit.

Alas, my friend. I have seen this before. You have just exposed your throat. Now I fear the rabid pack will descend upon you, and there will be no mercy.

To add to "rabid pack" they are just noise makers. Their only way to sooth their hurt is by striking out at the DC. Just hang in there as you really might get to really see something spectacular if OU happens to lose a game. :P

I wish that Riley could have found a good way to ease Mike out and find a replacement. However, I do understand the situation Riley finds himself. Still, I hold hope that with another year Riley will be able to recruit his way out of this situation.

I think he is getting close when he adds the 2019 defensive class.

pippen

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 03:43 am

SwampSooner wrote: Just remember the consequences of the "Fire Gary Gibbs" movement of the early 90s.

It was worth the pain.

paboomersooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 10:11 am

Just a few days after starting at my place of employment 18 years ago, a female showed up to my office yelling and screaming about how bad one of my co-workers has been treating her. He said she was crazy and I didn't give it another thought.

Over the next 10 years of working with this individual, girl after girl after girl would accuse this individual of cheating and deception.

He eventually found the "right one" and the two were married. However, this individual could not change his ways. Anonymous letters were sent to his home by other females informing his new bride of his continuing deceitful behavior. Two kids later, they were divorced.

After the first girl's tirades, one might surmise it was the girl who had issues. Her behavior might suggest such. However, after a parade of scorned women took out their frustrations on my co-worker, it was easy to see the one constant in all these situations was my co-worker.

I think we need a divorce.

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 10:42 am

PA BoomerSooner

It would be silly to divorce your team over a coaching issue???Rather strange comparison also,considering there has been no lies and deceit except maybe on the sides of two Head men in charge ,if any?

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 12:37 pm

paboomersooner wrote:
Just a few days after starting at my place of employment 18 years ago, a female showed up to my office yelling and screaming about how bad one of my co-workers has been treating her. He said she was crazy and I didn't give it another thought.

Over the next 10 years of working with this individual, girl after girl after girl would accuse this individual of cheating and deception.

He eventually found the "right one" and the two were married. However, this individual could not change his ways. Anonymous letters were sent to his home by other females informing his new bride of his continuing deceitful behavior. Two kids later, they were divorced.

After the first girl's tirades, one might surmise it was the girl who had issues. Her behavior might suggest such. However, after a parade of scorned women took out their frustrations on my co-worker, it was easy to see the one constant in all these situations was my co-worker.

I think we need a divorce.

I think you are confused. You don't get to decide whether to fire Mike Stoops. That is Lincoln Riley's job. Based on your ability to analyze the above situation I don't think you are qualified to make these kinds of decisions :lol:

I will wager that Lincoln Riley is just a little more informed than fans. His management skills, compared to your admitted failure, are quite a bit better than yours. :P:P

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 01:10 pm

Walt wrote: I will wager that Lincoln Riley is just a little more informed than fans.

Attachment: 1 chicken dinner.jpg (Downloaded 192 times)

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 01:54 pm

I guess I'll add my meaningless thoughts on this topic....
The defense looks better this year, but statistically (after three games) the defense is no better than last year.

• Yards allowed / game - 395 (67th)
  • Yards allowed / play - 5.84 (82nd)
  • Yards allowed / game - 385 (80th)
  • Yards allowed / play - 5.37 (67th)
UCLA isn't a powerhouse offense and I doubt ISU is either. It's still early...but those are the numbers.
I'm continuing to see signs of stagnation (or regression) in player development on the defensive side, too.

Not much we can do about it but cheer them on.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 01:59 pm

Since I have always been a trouble-maker... :D

Coach Riley is on the inside looking out, so he lacks clarity. His feelings and judgement are compromised because Bob Stoops took a big chance on a young man to lead a big time program not only as initially as an OC, but now as the head coach, so it puts him in an extremely difficult situation to fire Mike Stoops that if you translated his job performance in relation to the resources he has available to him to other fields, he would be considered a "poor performer".

Coach Riley is in the same difficult situation as Luke Skywalker. Darth Vader was evil, but Luke still saw some good in him and even though he got emotional and lost his temper and started whaling on Darth Vader with his light saber, he finally yielded before destroying him.

I had a point here, but it kind of went bye-bye after that first sentence. Regardless, I am never serious, nor should this post be treated as such.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:01 pm

if I remember right following last season the offensive assistants got a nice raise... the defensive coaches, not so much.

I think Lincoln does know, and I think he let his feelings be known that he expects results. they got a good kick in the hind end, now they either show improvement or I would guess there will be changes.

47Straight

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:12 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote: I had a point here, but it kind of went bye-bye after that first sentence. Regardless, I am never serious, nor should this (or any other) post be treated as such.

Attachment: 1 chicken dinner.jpg (Downloaded 174 times)

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:16 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:

Since I have always been a trouble-maker...

Coach Riley is on the inside looking out, so he lacks clarity. His feelings and judgement are compromised because Bob Stoops took a big chance on a young man to lead a big time program not only as initially as an OC, but now as the head coach, so it puts him in an extremely difficult situation to fire Mike Stoops that if you translated his job performance in relation to the resources he has available to him to other fields, he would be considered a "poor performer".

Coach Riley is in the same difficult situation as Luke Skywalker. Darth Vader was evil, but Luke still saw some good in him and even though he got emotional and lost his temper and started whaling on Darth Vader with his light saber, he finally yielded before destroying him.

I had a point here, but it kind of went bye-bye after that first sentence. Regardless, I am never serious, nor should this post be treated as such.

I believe this is your best post ever :lol::lol:

Last edited on Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:17 pm by Walt

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:21 pm

soonerBAS wrote:
if I remember right following last season the offensive assistants got a nice raise... the defensive coaches, not so much.

I think Lincoln does know, and I think he let his feelings be known that he expects results. they got a good kick in the hind end, now they either show improvement or I would guess there will be changes.

Here is my hope. I hope that Riley does fire Mike Stoops after this season. So, I am preparing for the first time the NEW OU DC's defense lays an egg by copying all of these "Fire Mike" posts. Without a doubt the "Fire Mike" folks will be posting "Fire New DC" comments from the first time he doesn't live up to their expectations and I will follow every one of those posts with their "Fire Mike" reminders. :lol::lol:

Sooner42

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:22 pm

Walt wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

I believe this is your best post ever :lol::lol:[/quote

Well my day has been made a STAR WARS reference on a Sooner site.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:41 pm

Walt wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

:lol:

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:43 pm

Walt wrote:
soonerBAS wrote:

Here is my hope. I hope that Riley does fire Mike Stoops after this season. So, I am preparing for the first time the NEW OU DC's defense lays an egg by copying all of these "Fire Mike" posts. Without a doubt the "Fire Mike" folks will be posting "Fire New DC" comments from the first time he doesn't live up to their expectations and I will follow every one of those posts with their "Fire Mike" reminders. :lol::lol:

Come one, Walt. You know how I work. I will be doing the whole "Baghdad Bob" thing in regards to the new DC!

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:45 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
Walt wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

:lol:

I'm really sorry. However, it was your own fault. You set it up perfectly for me. Makes up for all the times you have poked at me. Well, makes up for some of the times you poked at me. :P:cool::beer:

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 02:47 pm

Walt wrote:
soonerBAS wrote:

to each his own I guess... but I'm hoping he and the other assistants get a raise, for a job well done. I don't understand the concept of hoping someone fails.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 03:46 pm

I don't want him to fail ... I just want the defense to be good. My hope is that Mike can have a BV type turn around where Riley brings in enough talent that suddenly he's good again. IF OU gets a bunch of talented D players and it's still not better ?? It's time for Mike to go. Can that be Time boxed so this doesn't drag on forever ?? thats up to LR. I have suspected that if Mike doesn't get better Bob Diaco is his replacement not just a 'consultant', but, I tend to be cynical ..

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 04:05 pm

I think another point NOT in favor of Mike Stoops is it at least appears that OU is running less plays per game than prior years, but we haven't seen a noticeable improvement in defensive numbers.

We'll see how this season plays out, but I suspect there will be a few games where OU wins 50 something tp 40 something or high 40 something to high 30 something.

I would love for Mike Stoops to succeed, because that would simplify things for everyone, but he's been here for 7 years and I don't see anything improving his performance to a relevant enough degree and that includes improved recruiting.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 04:13 pm

Now I have this craving for fried chicken. Thanks a lot, 47!!!

47Straight

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 05:26 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote: Now I have this craving for fried chicken. Thanks a lot, 47!!!

Attachment: 1 crow with chianti.jpg (Downloaded 109 times)

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 05:48 pm

47Straight wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote: Now I have this craving for fried chicken. Thanks a lot, 47!!!

Nope! Sticking with the fried chicken! Crow is too tough and dry.

47Straight

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 06:14 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote: 47Straight wrote:

Nope! Sticking with the fried chicken! Crow is too tough and dry.
Thanks for the report an what crow is like.  Personally, I have never tasted it.

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 10:10 pm

Come on Clint, you know you would like to see mike head
stuck on a 6 foot pole. :P

Fly:lol:

WishBone

Country of Origin: United States
Signature: Texas Still Sucks
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 10:46 pm

Catnop wrote:My hope is that Mike can have a BV type turn around

But wait Brent got ran off.What turn around do you speak of?

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Sep 19th, 2018 12:56 am

ClintA.Adams wrote:
I think another point NOT in favor of Mike Stoops is it at least appears that OU is running less plays per game than prior years, but we haven't seen a noticeable improvement in defensive numbers.

We'll see how this season plays out, but I suspect there will be a few games where OU wins 50 something tp 40 something or high 40 something to high 30 something.

I would love for Mike Stoops to succeed, because that would simplify things for everyone, but he's been here for 7 years and I don't see anything improving his performance to a relevant enough degree and that includes improved recruiting.

You know Mike has commented about how difficult it is to play defense against all the prolific offenses in the B12.
I'd certainly like someone to follow that up wit the question, why is OU's defense in the bottom half of the B12 year in and year out? Seems like other "lesser" programs are able to play better defense than his defenses. That is what gripes me.
I'm the first one to explain that when you defense 80 plays in the B12 versus Bama defensing 55 in the SEC, you're not going to have as good stats. But why can't OU have a top 2 or 3 defense in the B12?

Current time is 02:49 am
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  Next Page Last Page