Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Learning from last year's loss to Iowa State

Learning from last year's loss to Iowa State
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 12:39 pm

I would have posted the article, but it has links and gifs in it, so that seemed like a lot of work.

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2018/9/12/17847632/oklahoma-football-iowa-state-matt-campbell-jon-heacock-kyler-murray-film-study-defense

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 02:10 pm

Iowa St. didn't have a blueprint, they had a double element of surprise at QB and being much better than expected and facing a team that went on cruise control after building a very early and easy 14-0 lead.

ATM thought they had a blue-print in 2000 with their "umbrealla" defense. All that turned out to be is Josh Huepel having a very bad bursa sac on his elbow of his throwing arm.

bigedell

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 02:28 pm

This article sounds like Iowa St. is favored in this game and the Sooners will struggle.

I don't see that happening. I think the defense keeps IS under wraps, and the offense makes the most of the opportunities. I also think we will see some special teams magic.

JMHO.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 02:46 pm

It should also be noted that game was before both Anderson and Brown exploded onto the scene. Obviously, Anderson is out, but things really got kicked into high gear when Brown got it going and now you also have Lamb with a year under his belt.

Also, Murray is a different QB than Mayfield and that also changes the parameters for this year's game regardless of it being the same offensive system.

If ISU defends OU well again, it's not because they are smart or know something that everyone else doesn't, they just so happen to have a system that works against OU's offense, which wouldn't be any different than how OSU has fared better against Kansas than any other team in the conference in recent years when it comes to basketball despite having inferior talent. I could be wrong on that as I don't watch basketball like I used to, but it certainly seems that way.

ISU will try to do the same thing because "why not?", but OU will have evaluated that game and made adjustments accordingly. On top of that, ISU may be facing a better Sooner defense this year and will definitely be facing a better special teams unit this year.

New year, new game, new teams. Last year doesn't matter outside of learning from it and OU will learn far more than ISU did from that game.

SoonerRick46
Ragtags

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 05:47 pm

There's no doubt in my mind that they'll use the same scheme again this year. The point is to keep everything in front of you defensively and make offenses earn it. Without Rodney, there is no reason for them to change. The difference this year is Kyler Murray. He has the speed and agility to make you pay for sitting back. He won't necessarily go to he house on every play, but he'll burn you for 10 - 20 yards most of the time. That kind of success over and over again can break the back and the will of the defense. If Murray can break off a few runs, it will put that 3 - 3 - 5 defense on it's heals which will open some lanes for both Sutton and Pledger and open up some passing lanes for Lamb and Brown. What's more concerning about their defense to me is that they are very good tacklers. That in itself slows down most break away offenses.

I'm going to predict that you'll see some zone read pretty early from Murray to test the defensive scheme. You can disguise a 3-3-5, but you can't disguise it against a zone read or you will pay a heavy price.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 06:15 pm

I don't think this ISU team is close to last years team. WRs are gone. OL is young. QB maybe a RS Freshman with very limited experience, if any. The cyclone defense will be decent.

I don't think they will score much, that is assuming the OU defense shows up again this week. I think I predicted a 49 to 17 game with the 17 for ISU being based on the OU starters taken out of the game with about 9:00 to go in the 3rd quarter.

pippen

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 09:55 pm

Walt wrote: I don't think they will score much, that is assuming the OU defense shows up again this week. I think I predicted a 49 to 17 game with the 17 for ISU being based on the OU starters taken out of the game with about 9:00 to go in the 3rd quarter.70 TDs seems a bit optimistic...;)

SoonerVikeThunder

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 11:00 pm

pippen wrote:
Walt wrote: I don't think they will score much, that is assuming the OU defense shows up again this week. I think I predicted a 49 to 17 game with the 17 for ISU being based on the OU starters taken out of the game with about 9:00 to go in the 3rd quarter.70 TDs seems a bit optimistic...;)

I think he was conservative :)

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 11:39 pm

SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
pippen wrote:

Agreed, maybe Walt was just referring to the first half score.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 11:56 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
SoonerVikeThunder wrote:
pippen wrote:

Agreed, maybe Walt was just referring to the first half score.

What the devil are you all talking about? :soonermad:

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 12:03 am

:lol::lol::lol:

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 12:20 am

K2C Sooner wrote:
:lol::lol::lol:

So, do you know what they were talking about?

Seems like a lot of nothing going on with the comic section, right? :cool::lol:::bignews::

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 12:32 am

Not really. :big confused:

If you changed your above post we would see you edited them. :dude:

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 01:24 am

I dare them to use the same defense as last year!  If you don't think that Lincoln hasn't studied that defense ad nauseam, think again!  All you have to do is remember what happened in the Shoe last year to see how that young man thinks about those that beat him the year before.

Last edited on Sat Sep 15th, 2018 01:24 am by AllSooner

Current time is 09:44 am