Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > BBQ/Smoking and other recipes and cooking ideas. > Smoked baby back rib and black bean stew.

Smoked baby back rib and black bean stew.
 Moderated by: sybil, OU_Tom, EMan, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 10th, 2018 06:22 pm

Smoked Ribs and Black Beans Stew
[Or Soup]
[Or whatever you want to call it]

Ok, I have long wanted to come up with a recipe for smoked baby back ribs coupled with Black Beans.  It is not unusual for me to smoke up to nine to twelve racks of ribs at a time.  It is also not unusual to have a few racks left over and in the fridge for a couple of days.  I have often had baked beans at a restaurant that had left over smoked rib or brisket meat in the mix.  Something about the smoked meat that made me enjoy the baked beans.  That was the inspiration for me to coming up with this recipe.  

I have now made this recipe a few times and have tweaked it a little each time.  I like the flavor of the mix.  The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is the inclusion of lime juice in the recipe.  The lime juice gives the recipe a distinctive flavor.  However, it creates a very rich flavor in the recipe.  The first time with this recipe I added some brown sugar to mask the effect of the lime juice.

I just add the above comment to give you a warning and you might want to reduce the lime juice a tad and add more later if you think it warrants more lime juice.

I add all the below ingredients into a large pot at the beginning so that it all blends together during the cooking process.  The only ingredient I hold back is the smoked rib meat.  I add in the smoked rib meat after everything else is cooked good.

Ingredients:

4 - 15 ounce cans of cooked black beans.      
    If you want to cook your own black beans then use two pounds of dry black beans in 8 cups of water and don’t add the rest of the ingredient until the beans are done.

1 - 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1/4 cup of dark rum
1 head of garlic, cleaned and crushed
1 medium chopped yellow onion
1 TBL of kosher salt - I don’t cook with much salt so you might want add more later
2 Bay leaves [I remove the bay leaves before eating]
1 Tsp of dried orageno
1 Tsp of ground cumin
1 Tsp of crushed red pepper
6 heaping TBL of brown sugar. [you may want to add a little more to tone the lime effect]
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice [roughly four limes]
1/4 cut freshly chopped fresh cilantro

Mix all of the above ingredients in to a big pot and cook until onions and other ingredients are well cooked.

Once you are through with the cooking process add the meat from 1 and ½ smoked baby back ribs.  The meat from 1 and ½ racks of smoked ribs will yield 1 ½ to 2 pounds of rib meat. [when removing the rib meat from the bone be careful that you don’t get any of the small bones added to the mix.  I actually pull the meat off and add it to a separate bowl and then check the meat for bones again before I add it to the pot.  There are sometimes small bones attached at the ends of the ribs so be careful to not add any bone to the recipe.

After you have added the meat to the pot I keep it on a low simmer for at least 45 minutes.

I like the stew/soup right out of the pot.  However, I think it has a more robust flavor after it has been in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.

While I have only used this recipe with left over rib meat, I think it would work nicely with smoked brisket or about any other smoked meat.  Also, I am going to smoke a whole chicken and try this concoction with smoked chicken.

I’m not guaranteeing others will enjoy this recipe.  What I know is that the last batch I made I ate a couple of bowls a day till it was gone.  I shared some with a couple friends and they liked it as well.  Bottom line is that I think it is a good way to use your left over smoked or just plain ole cooked meats.

Let me know.

ArmySooner
Administrator

Country of Origin: Potawatomi Nation
Signature: Pookie Poo
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2018 04:55 pm

That sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm lazy, I buy the different variations of Bush's beans.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2018 08:45 pm

ArmySooner wrote: That sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm lazy, I buy the different variations of Bush's beans

Is that the beans that uses the dog in their ads?

If so you might ought to think that over.  Somewhere on the net there is a story about the close taste of the beans is to the stuff the owner of he dog puts in those little blue bags. 

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2018 09:32 pm

thanks Walt :cool:

ArmySooner
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2018 07:30 pm

Walt wrote:
ArmySooner wrote: That sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm lazy, I buy the different variations of Bush's beans

If so you might ought to think that over.  Somewhere on the net there is a story about the close taste of the beans is to the stuff the owner of he dog puts in those little blue bags. 

OMG. Yer not invited to my Bush's Bean festival this Saturday.......

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 15th, 2018 05:58 pm

ArmySooner wrote: Walt wrote:

What?

I can't believe you won't invite me.  I have been planning on inviting you and your wife to come up to the City so we can smoke some ribs, drink some beer and talk some OU football.  That would be a great day.

Oh well, I suppose it is your loss. :shock:

ArmySooner
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jun 16th, 2018 05:50 am

Walt wrote:
ArmySooner wrote: Walt wrote:

What?

I can't believe you won't invite me.  I have been planning on inviting you and your wife to come up to the City so we can smoke some ribs, drink some beer and talk some OU football.  That would be a great day.

Oh well, I suppose it is your loss. :shock:

Okay. I'm in on the ribs, beer and football....

Current time is 09:44 am