Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, CalSOONER  

Print
AuthorPost
cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 06:40 pm

So here is our roster next year. I actually think the team will have a higher ceiling as far as position players goes.

Infield:

Sydney Romero-SR
Shay Knighten-SR
Caleigh Clifton-SR
Eliyah Flores-SO
Grace Lyons-FR
Audrie LaValley-FR
Sami Skelley-FR
*Grace Green-FR. Might be listed better as utility. I think she could challenge for time in the outfield. Gasso mentioned she could play muliple positions including Pitcher.

Of course Knighten, Romero and Clifton are givens. With Arnold leaving that opens up a spot. Clifton can play 2nd or shortstop. The obvious challengers for the position are Eliyah Flores, Grace Lyons, and Audrie LaValley. I think Flores is probably the favorite here but I go against the grain and think Grace Lyons, even if she has to earn it during the year will end up starting at some point in the season. Our infield will actually be deeper than this years was. You could actually field a very solid 2nd team infield out of this group.

Lynnsie Elam-Since she's the only catcher on the roster we better hope she's the real deal. The good thing is I believe she is. Another time I think the ceiling may actually be higher. As I believe she's a more athletic, bigger version of Wodach. Will we look for a transfer catcher or stay with what we have? I'm hearing Eliyah Flores has done some catching in practice and could be a candidate for backup duty. Of course in 2020 Kinzie Hansen arrives on scene and it will get interesting.

Oufield

The question here is who moves to center field to replace Pendley. Pendley is the starter we lose that I think we're going to look back and say it hurts the most. Sometimes I think she went a little under appreciated.

Raegan Rogers-SR
Kyle Lundberg-SR
Fale Aviu-SR
Nicole Mendes-JR
Vanessa Taukeiaho-JR
Jocelyn Alo-SO
Alexa Shultz-SO

I believe Alo has cemented her position as LF. With some switch off time with Aviu who should continue role as a DP with some spot field play. Of course with the other outfielder being Nicole Mendes, who might be the top candidate for CF. She's athletic enough for it but did have some shaky outfield play at times. I think this is the year Raegan Rogers gets her shot. She showed a good bat and glove during the year an actually seriously challenged Mendes to the point of her sitting some games. Alexa Shultz is a very stout defender. She's struggled with that bat and will have to show some offense to challenge. But she will at least get some spot play at late inning defense. Don't be shocked to see Grace Green get a serious look here. With a crowded and infield, its going to be hard to keep her talent off the field. LaValley is also someone who might get some outfield time. Both Green and LaValley are athletes and I think there could be different ways to get them in lineup.

I think the scariest thing from this year to next year is the loss of the Paiges. This is our most unproven staff since Parker's freshman year. There are some high profile pitcher transfer possibilities I could see coming to Norman to pitch for a stacked roster.

Mariah Lopez-JR
Parker Conrad-JR
Melanie Olmos-JR
Nicole Mendes-JR
Brooke Vestal-FR
Grace Green-FR

Of course the most proven is Lopez. Can't argue with her stats so far. The unproven part is she's been somewhat in the back ground of the Paige's. She's been used very little in big games. Can she be the ace to carry the team? I think the next big question is can Conrad develop into either a #2 type pitcher or take on the Lowary role as reliever. She has ability and showed improvement under Lombardi. She could be the surprise here. The high profile recruit coming in is Vestal. I almost feel like people got down on her when she dealt with an injury. But now that she's back healthy it seems like she's came back to form. I know she's just a freshman but as we see with Washington, freshmen are coming in and making impacts. If Vestal can come in and be what we think she can be and team up with Lopez and Conrad we are good to go for another championship challenge. I'm sure Mendes will get some spot duty as she has the first few years. If any of the top 3 struggle I could see her role increasing. As always Olmos is a dark horse. Can she break through and get some time her Junior year? She's pitched pretty well in limited duty. It seems like this year will be a make or break year for her to make a splash. With Raines, Thiede, and McAdoo coming in next year. The staff gets really deep.

We have the roster to make another serious run if the pitching works out. I actually could see a better team on the field than this year.

OURed

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 08:10 pm

“There are some high profile pitcher transfer possibilities I could see coming to Norman to pitch for a stacked roster.”

Have you heard any rumors or any speculation about pitching transfers?
We all hope Vestal can be as good as advertised. She is very mature and I hope she can be an impact player.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 08:12 pm

(y)(y) Great write up !!

I guess pitching is the big question mark. The last time that we were in a similar position was in 2013 when we lost Kellani and went from the National champion to having pitchers who sometimes bounced the ball to home. Paige Parker arrived and put OU back into the WCWS again.

I think that we probably learned from that experience and have much better depth at pitching. I don’t really know how good our pitchers will be next year. I assume that our pitchers will be good but will they be good enough to get us back to the WCWS in OKC?

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 08:31 pm

You know a lot more about these incoming freshmen than I do.  The only one that I've seen more than once is Vestal.  I have no idea who will be ready to play.

After we lost Ricketts and Gascoigne, we survived to get back to the CWS with Stevens.  We had some hitting, and we will have some hitting next year.  I strongly suspect that we will be a contender for the CWS, that our pitching will be at least that good.  Now, will we be one of the  favorites?  That depends on the development of Conrad and Lopez along with the level of achievement of Vestal.

I think Mendes goes to center.  Elam:  if she can hit 180, she may start.  We need defense up the middle more than we need a bat.  The Clifton--Flores---Lyons competition will prove interesting.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 08:32 pm

OURed wrote:
“There are some high profile pitcher transfer possibilities I could see coming to Norman to pitch for a stacked roster.”

We all hope Vestal can be as good as advertised. She is very mature and I hope she can be an impact player.

Not specifically to OU, that stuffs always kept pretty private. But here are a few to keep an eye on.

Word is Shannon Saile has asked for release from FIU.She'll be a junior next year. She shut out Florida this year and is very impressive. The hard part maybe she's from Florida so who knows if she'll want to leave area.

Megan Good from JMU missed the 2018 season with injury. I believe she could be a graduate transfer and would have 1 year left. No word on if she wants to do that though.

Heard some rumbling about Makayla Martin from Auburn wanting to transfer. But there has been rumors on that before that didn't pan out. I hear she is friends with some OU players. She would be a senior.

I'm sure there are more but these are just some going around in the rumor mill right now.

Sooner_Softball_Game_Play
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 10:30 pm

cclift38 wrote:
So here is our roster next year. I actually think the team will have a higher ceiling as far as position players goes.

Infield:

Sydney Romero-SR
Shay Knighten-SR
Caleigh Clifton-SR
Eliyah Flores-SO
Grace Lyons-FR
Audrie LaValley-FR
Sami Skelley-FR
*Grace Green-FR. Might be listed better as utility. I think she could challenge for time in the outfield. Gasso mentioned she could play muliple positions including Pitcher.

Of course Knighten, Romero and Clifton are givens. With Arnold leaving that opens up a spot. Clifton can play 2nd or shortstop. The obvious challengers for the position are Eliyah Flores, Grace Lyons, and Audrie LaValley. I think Flores is probably the favorite here but I go against the grain and think Grace Lyons, even if she has to earn it during the year will end up starting at some point in the season. Our infield will actually be deeper than this years was. You could actually field a very solid 2nd team infield out of this group.

Lynnsie Elam-Since she's the only catcher on the roster we better hope she's the real deal. The good thing is I believe she is. Another time I think the ceiling may actually be higher. As I believe she's a more athletic, bigger version of Wodach. Will we look for a transfer catcher or stay with what we have? I'm hearing Eliyah Flores has done some catching in practice and could be a candidate for backup duty. Of course in 2020 Kinzie Hansen arrives on scene and it will get interesting.

Oufield

The question here is who moves to center field to replace Pendley. Pendley is the starter we lose that I think we're going to look back and say it hurts the most. Sometimes I think she went a little under appreciated.

Raegan Rogers-SR
Kyle Lundberg-SR
Fale Aviu-SR
Nicole Mendes-JR
Vanessa Taukeiaho-JR
Jocelyn Alo-SO
Alexa Shultz-SO

I believe Alo has cemented her position as LF. With some switch off time with Aviu who should continue role as a DP with some spot field play. Of course with the other outfielder being Nicole Mendes, who might be the top candidate for CF. She's athletic enough for it but did have some shaky outfield play at times. I think this is the year Raegan Rogers gets her shot. She showed a good bat and glove during the year an actually seriously challenged Mendes to the point of her sitting some games. Alexa Shultz is a very stout defender. She's struggled with that bat and will have to show some offense to challenge. But she will at least get some spot play at late inning defense. Don't be shocked to see Grace Green get a serious look here. With a crowded and infield, its going to be hard to keep her talent off the field. LaValley is also someone who might get some outfield time. Both Green and LaValley are athletes and I think there could be different ways to get them in lineup.

I think the scariest thing from this year to next year is the loss of the Paiges. This is our most unproven staff since Parker's freshman year. There are some high profile pitcher transfer possibilities I could see coming to Norman to pitch for a stacked roster.

Mariah Lopez-JR
Parker Conrad-JR
Melanie Olmos-JR
Nicole Mendes-JR
Brooke Vestal-FR
Grace Green-FR

Of course the most proven is Lopez. Can't argue with her stats so far. The unproven part is she's been somewhat in the back ground of the Paige's. She's been used very little in big games. Can she be the ace to carry the team? I think the next big question is can Conrad develop into either a #2 type pitcher or take on the Lowary role as reliever. She has ability and showed improvement under Lombardi. She could be the surprise here. The high profile recruit coming in is Vestal. I almost feel like people got down on her when she dealt with an injury. But now that she's back healthy it seems like she's came back to form. I know she's just a freshman but as we see with Washington, freshmen are coming in and making impacts. If Vestal can come in and be what we think she can be and team up with Lopez and Conrad we are good to go for another championship challenge. I'm sure Mendes will get some spot duty as she has the first few years. If any of the top 3 struggle I could see her role increasing. As always Olmos is a dark horse. Can she break through and get some time her Junior year? She's pitched pretty well in limited duty. It seems like this year will be a make or break year for her to make a splash. With Raines, Thiede, and McAdoo coming in next year. The staff gets really deep.

We have the roster to make another serious run if the pitching works out. I actually could see a better team on the field than this year.

I kinda liked that "shaky" throw by Mendes to cut down Washington's runner trying for 3rd.

VNSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2018 12:09 pm

Fortunately Kinzie Hansen is a 2019 not 2020.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2018 04:34 pm

Kinzie won’t be on campus until 2020 season. And the shaky part of Mendes was a couple of dropped flies early in the season. I know she has a cannon arm. But center field is a whole different animal than right field.

Last edited on Tue Jun 5th, 2018 05:37 pm by cclift38

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2018 09:01 pm

It gets confusing talking about softball recruits since softball is a spring sport. A recruit in the class of 2019 does not play first real game until 2020

jdurrett

Country of Origin: Oklahoma
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2018 09:29 pm

I think Elam will be stellar.
Pitching is nearly always the biggest question going into the next team and we are no different. We will be OK if, IF, IF we pick up on offense.
All this year I've had the uneasy feeling that we were not up to par offensively. Too many left on base, too passive too much of the time and too rarely aggressive and loose. And we seemed to get worse as the year wore on. We will need to give our pitchers some cushion, some support.
The talent Patty has assembled is amazing, but it needs a leader(s). If the leadership is on a par with that of Erin and Kady we will be contenders.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 02:06 am

jdurrett wrote:
Pitching is nearly always the biggest question going into the next team and we are no different. We will be OK if, IF, IF we pick up on offense.
All this year I've had the uneasy feeling that we were not up to par offensively. Too many left on base, too passive too much of the time and too rarely aggressive and loose. And we seemed to get worse as the year wore on. We will need to give our pitchers some cushion, some support.
The talent Patty has assembled is amazing, but it needs a leader(s). If the leadership is on a par with that of Erin and Kady we will be contenders.
as usual I disagree a lot. I am not sure that you have ever posted any thing in the last 5 years that does not complain about errors and too many men left on base. You constantly complain about swinging on the first pitch or not -
    Yes, Erin and Kady were leaders. Others have replaced them. Move on.
    Elam is all we got at catcher. I hope she is stellar but there is no reason to extrapolate that based on current data
    The hitting was not subpar during the season. All statistics were were on par during the regular season and they were in fact better than last year. We definitely took a dive and could not get a hit in the WCS. Now a valid complaint would be that no one other than Alo could hit in the WCS
    It is impossible for the hitting to pickup. There is no way for hitting to 'cover any potential pitching gap'. I am optimistic about next year's pitching. We'll have to wait to see how the pitching turns out

I do believe that we are all entitled to our opinions

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 03:05 am

OU_Tom wrote:
jdurrett wrote:
as usual I disagree a lot. I am not sure that you have ever posted any thing in the last 5 years that does not complain about errors and too many men left on base. You constantly complain about swinging on the first pitch or not -
    Yes, Erin and Kady were leaders. Others have replaced them. Move on.
    Elam is all we got at catcher. I hope she is stellar but there is no reason to extrapolate that based on current data
    The hitting was not subpar during the season. All statistics were were on par during the regular season and they were in fact better than last year. We definitely took a dive and could not get a hit in the WCS. Now a valid complaint would be that no one other than Alo could hit in the WCS
    It is impossible for the hitting to pickup. There is no way for hitting to 'cover any potential pitching gap'. I am optimistic about next year's pitching. We'll have to wait to see how the pitching turns out

I do believe that we are all entitled to our opinions

Well said.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 03:45 am

Thanks cclift38 for your awesome post.

My guesses on infield are Lyons will be the shortstop by midseason. Early on we'll see Clifton at short and Flores at 2nd & Lyons will fill in until she can adjust to college pitching. Once she starts hitting over .300, Patty will make her the starting short stop.

Clifton, Romero and Knighten all graduate next year. It will be fascinating to see who is in the infield in 2020. I think that it is basically some combination of these 5 players - Green, Flores, Grace Lyons, Audrie LaValley, Sami Skelley. I don't think that there are any incoming recruits that will play in 2020 that are infielders. I guess we have a couple of pitcher/outfielders that could turn out to be 1st basemen.

I think that in the outfield Mendes moves to center and Alo stays in left. I guess it is possible that Rogers could challenge Mendes for center but I think Mendes will bounce back from her sophomore slump and have a great junior year in center.

So that means some combination of Rogers, Lundberg, Aviu, Shultz, Flores and Green are the right fielders. I am not sure why but I always pull for the rookies. I think Green will be in right by the end of the year. Or it could be Flores out there; she has shown that she can hit and Patty also plays the hitters. Or I will continue to hedge and say maybe Rogers could be the right fielder; she has speed and hit .3XX this year.

I spend a lot of time computing on my Ouijo board to come up with these predictions as don't give me a hard time if they don't pan out.

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 03:56 am

I never know what to expect with freshmen.   Everyone is a superstar when they are recruited.  Since I don't see Fall ball, I probably won't have a clue until late February.  I really didn't believe the hype about Alo since I had heard similar things about Lundberg.  I am still stunned that we had four freshmen work out so well in one year:  Clifton, Romero, Knighten, and Aviu.  I had some confidence in Romero from what I had read.  But, I was shocked when they all started, and I still marvel that they found a way to win for two years.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 04:01 am

sybarite wrote:
I never know what to expect with freshmen.   Everyone is a superstar when they are recruited.  Since I don't see Fall ball, I probably won't have a clue until late February.  I really didn't believe the hype about Alo since I had heard similar things about Lundberg.  I am still stunned that we had four freshmen work out so well in one year:  Clifton, Romero, Knighten, and Aviu.  I had some confidence in Romero from what I had read.  But, I was shocked when they all started, and I still marvel that they found a way to win for two years.
Totally agree. But I think that the recruits Patty has lined up over the next five years will continue to astound us. These kids have all played travel ball on the top teams in the country and they are the top players. Granted the best 8th graders aren't necessarily the best college players but often they are.

It is going to be fun watching this team for the next 5-10 ... years.

Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 05:18 am

cclift38 wrote:
Kinzie won’t be on campus until 2020 season. And the shaky part of Mendes was a couple of dropped flies early in the season. I know she has a cannon arm. But center field is a whole different animal than right field.

Mendes made 61 putouts and committed 3 errors for a season fielding average of 0.959
Pendley made 62 putouts and committed 1 error for a season fielding average of 0.985

Granted, Mendes did have the "lowest" fielding average.
If she had a fielding average of .875 or 8.50, I'd feel your concern.

Overall, Mendes hit a team leading 5 triples and also stole 13 bases. I guess, in your world, committing 2 more errors than N. Pendley is reason enough to bench her and start someone else.

RunRule

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 01:19 pm

CClift 38, hanks for sharing your great info and knowledge on recruits! I always read and look forward to your posts!
I did listen yesterday to Coach Gasso's interview w James H. On the radio yesterday....she mentioned she is looking to find another catcher (said one is not enough) and also said that Shay is having knee surgery today ( she said Shay pretty much played on one knee during the series ) She did not elaborate on what the procedure will be...
she also talked about how well the team played through our regionals, but just played tense and tight in the Series, that we were just not ourselves...that our pitchers did great and don't take anything away from UW, but we just didn't get the breaks....
our D had some uncharacteristic miscues and our bats just did not come up clutch for us
Also talked about upcoming freshman and says several will contend for starting positions and playing time right away

Last edited on Wed Jun 6th, 2018 01:23 pm by RunRule

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 03:53 pm

Are you Mendes dad or something? She’s one of my favorite players. But to pretend her season was all rainbows and puppies is sticking your head in the sand. Your trying to start an argument that isn’t even an argument. She’s a starting outfielder but to play center your going to have to read the ball off ethe bat and get good jumps and make the plays. Maybe she transitions fine. But Pendley has been our best outfielder. So whoever takes her spot will have to step up. And you can save time with throwing whatever fielding percentage out there, I watched, listened or went to every games.

Last edited on Wed Jun 6th, 2018 03:54 pm by cclift38

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Signature: WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR THINK YOU CAN'T, YOU ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 04:31 pm

Sooner_Softball_Game_Play wrote:
cclift38 wrote:

Mendes made 61 putouts and committed 3 errors for a season fielding average of 0.959
Pendley made 62 putouts and committed 1 error for a season fielding average of 0.985

Granted, Mendes did have the "lowest" fielding average.
If she had a fielding average of .875 or 8.50, I'd feel your concern.

Overall, Mendes hit a team leading 5 triples and also stole 13 bases. I guess, in your world, committing 2 more errors than N. Pendley is reason enough to bench her and start someone else.

Said another way Mendes committed 3 times as many errors as Pendley in relatively the same number of chances. That being said Mendes is the best OF returning although Rogers showed she could cover ground and make plays. What we don't know is what kind of arm and consistency she will have playing everyday.

I too was at MHF for every game and I think Pendley was much the better OF when compared to Mendes. Mendes made mental mistakes in addition to her physical errors. Pendley made much better decisions IMHO although Mendes is the most athletic and has a higher ceiling if she steps up.

Last edited on Wed Jun 6th, 2018 08:26 pm by SoonerSpock

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 05:04 pm

I try to evaluate what is there now and what could be given the talent and learning ability that I am watching.  There are a lot of assumptions there.  It does mean that I don't like to render any evaluation without having seen someone on several occasions.

I see a difference in Mendes and Pendley.  Pendley was obviously a very good athlete who appeared to have learned everything about playing the outfield.  Someone had schooled her on fly balls.  She picked them up almost during the swing and was headed in the right direction when it left the bat.  As a result, she just glided into the ball with no apparent effort.  Her arm was good, not the best.  Her throwing decisions would be her most likely mistakes, where to throw, whether to throw.  If anything, I think Pendley was about as good as a freshman as she would ever get.  I never had the feeling that she was a student of the game or highly ambitious with respect to her softball career.  She bit on the same stuff at bat as a senior that she did as a freshman.

Then, there is Mendes.  I think she was home-schooled.  I don't think she was well-trained at anything.  She just struck me as an athlete who had no knowledge or experience, as compared to Pendley as a freshman.  She might have been an outfielder, pitcher, or first baseman.  But, she would need to learn the position.  What did strike me was that she had tremendous athletic ability and a great arm.  I wondered if we would use her at pitcher since she seemed to be hard to hit last year, not so difficult this year.  But, she also had a beautiful swing, and Pendley had had.

When Mendes came around, it was like a bloom emerging from a flower, exploding in color when it had been surrounded by leaves.  Her speed was evident.  Her inexperience was also obvious.  Each passing day brought something new and exciting.  She had a nice stroke that hit hard line drives with almost an artistic swing, the way that softball should be played.  Then, a power that I hadn't expected was exposed.  All of this culminated in the CWS when she hit two beautiful home runs (both off Barnhill?), one over the right center field wall and one to straightaway left.  Effortless.  They weren't so much hit as sculpted.

I watched her learn to play the outfield.  Late in the year, she was at center in the Lowary switch.  I assume that was because she had greater speed and could run it down faster if someone did hit it to left.  She wasn't as polished as Pendley.  But, she was learning the outfield.  Line drives still confused her at times (they even confused Pendley once in the last game of her career).  But, she was a clear and present danger with her arm, even coming close to throwing out baserunners who didn't fly fast enough to first on singles.  But, the magic stopped happening.  She stopped improving.  The beautiful swing was not focused on the ball any more, less natural.  A natural ability to swing and hit beautifully had been compromised for some reason.  She wasn't as good at the end of her sophomore year as she had been at the end of her freshman year.

But, that talent is still there.  Will it begin to grow again?  I could see her as a star at the pro level (which is a lot more difficult) if she decides she wants to work at it.  I think she ranks with Sydney and Shay as great players, if she wants it.  How good does she want to be?

Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 11:47 pm

cclift38 wrote:
Are you Mendes dad or something? She’s one of my favorite players. But to pretend her season was all rainbows and puppies is sticking your head in the sand. Your trying to start an argument that isn’t even an argument. She’s a starting outfielder but to play center your going to have to read the ball off ethe bat and get good jumps and make the plays. Maybe she transitions fine. But Pendley has been our best outfielder. So whoever takes her spot will have to step up. And you can save time with throwing whatever fielding percentage out there, I watched, listened or went to every games.

I am not her dad and you say that I think her season was all rainbows and puppies and I am sticking my head in the sand. That is total b.s. I never said that, never would say that, and I take what you say as damnable insult.

You obviously never played outfield and obviously don't like this player. I don't know what games you saw, but if you think you can improve on the 2016 #11 FloSoftball Hot 100 player, find her.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2018 12:55 am

Like I said you seem to just want to argue. As I said Mendes at worst is the starting right fielder. I was just making the point it might not be easy to replace a 4 year, 2 time national champion starter in center field. If your so easily offended on any small criticism maybe you should become an OSU fan. That’s more their mentality.

Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2018 01:06 am

cclift38 wrote:
Like I said you seem to just want to argue. As I said Mendes at worst is the starting right fielder. I was just making the point it might not be easy to replace a 4 year, 2 time national champion starter in center field. If your so easily offended on any small criticism maybe you should become an OSU fan. That’s more their mentality.

It is difficult to replace Pendley. That wasn't the issue. The issue has turned to you thinking you can say anything you want to me. That's the thinking of lemoncookies-ant.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2018 01:52 am

cclift38 wrote:
OURed wrote:

Not specifically to OU, that stuffs always kept pretty private. But here are a few to keep an eye on.

Word is Shannon Saile has asked for release from FIU.She'll be a junior next year. She shut out Florida this year and is very impressive. The hard part maybe she's from Florida so who knows if she'll want to leave area.

Megan Good from JMU missed the 2018 season with injury. I believe she could be a graduate transfer and would have 1 year left. No word on if she wants to do that though.

Heard some rumbling about Makayla Martin from Auburn wanting to transfer. But there has been rumors on that before that didn't pan out. I hear she is friends with some OU players. She would be a senior.

I'm sure there are more but these are just some going around in the rumor mill right now.

There seems to be some smoke with Tennessee's Super Frosh Gabby Sprang. She's a 6'1" lefty from Minnesota so she has no ties to Tennessee and she was ranked #3 in Flosoftball's rankings for the class of 2017. Having the University of Minnesota's 3 time All-American Sara Groenwegan as a Grad Assistant may have something to do with it.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2018 01:56 am

Wow. That would be a nice find.

I still can’t believe that soonersports has not updated Sara Groenwegan profile. I actually sent them an email a month ago but apparently they can’t be bothered to update the info.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2018 02:15 am

Mendes will be our starting centerfielder for a couple reasons 1) She has the most returning experience in the outfield 2) As evidenced by her winning the teams pre-season triathlon for the past two years she is our best athlete.

As far as her hitting, I have to wonder what JT Gasso was trying to do by changing her approach at the plate. She looked thoroughly confused most of the year and she just needs to let her natural swing take over.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2018 02:25 am

Killatella wrote:

As far as her hitting, I have to wonder what JT Gasso was trying to do by changing her approach at the plate. She looked thoroughly confused most of the year and she just needs to let her natural swing take over.
It is good that you said that. I was mystified about this all year long . If a player can hit .400 with a swing that is not ‘perfect’ then leave them alone

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 08:55 pm

://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Patty-Gasso-OU-Softball-Nicole-Mendes-Jocelyn-Alo-Eilyah-Flores-Alexa-Schultz-Reagon-Rogers-Kylie-Lundberg-Vanessa-Taukeiaho-Brook-Vestal-Audrie-LaValley-Grace-Lyons--119009907

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Patty-Gasso-OU-Softball-Nicole-Mendes-Jocelyn-Alo-Eilyah-Flores-Alexa-Schultz-Reagon-Rogers-Kylie-Lundberg-Vanessa-Taukeiaho-Brook-Vestal-Audrie-LaValley-Grace-Lyons--119009907

Last edited on Wed Jun 13th, 2018 08:58 pm by sybarite

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2018 07:32 pm

https://www.facebook.com/OUWomensBasketball/photos/pcb.1832040846854599/1832040446854639/?type=3&theater

You can see the intensity that some of these arrived with this year.  Is Penzo a bit more athletic-looking?  Shaina seems intense.

Basketball, 2018-19

Last edited on Thu Jun 14th, 2018 07:38 pm by sybarite

Current time is 02:42 pm