Not logged in - Login | Register 

Walt's New Smoker
 Moderated by: sybil, OU_Tom, EMan, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
ClaireOKC
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: Sage of Stylish Sewing Stimulation!
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 09:58 pm

Too bad Soonertimes doesn't have smell-o-vision

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 30th, 2018 01:36 am

Yumm! Looks delicious.

Please PM me the secret dry rub:lol:

sybil
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 30th, 2018 01:30 pm

(y):cool:

Walt
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 30th, 2018 02:19 pm

ClaireOKC wrote: Too bad Soonertimes doesn't have smell-o-vision

This is going to be a confession ... well of sorts.    Claire's post was an "unauthorized intrusion" on my personal privacy.  In fact, I told her specifically not to post her darn videos on the internet, especially on soonertimes.com.  Sometimes I wonder why I tolerate her refusal to acknowledge my need for privacy.  However, I suppose it is all my fault.  I think I should have learned a long time ago that anytime she shows up with her darn phone in hand that I need to keep my mouth shut and just walk away.  Guess I am a very slow learner.

Anyway, I will take steps to ensure that this doesn't happen anytime in the future. 

Walt
DEPa

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 30th, 2018 02:43 pm

OU_Tom wrote: Yumm! Looks delicious.

Please PM me the secret dry rub:lol:

Tom, I didn't use any "secret" rib rub.  I didn't tell Claire it was a secret rub, she just made that up.  I do have a rub that I like to use, but didn't this time.  Here is what I used for a rub on these ribs.  I was at Sam's here in OKC and in the spice rack area.  I found three different kind of spice mixes for beef and they weren't to expensive.  I had used a couple of them in the past for a different purpose and liked them.  So, I bought a bottle of all three of the spice mixes.

When I got home, I opened all three of them and dumped them into a large bowl.  I had a little bit of another of my rubs and threw it in the mix and then added a cup or two of brown sugar and mixed them us.  So, that is the secret rub that Claire was talking about.

The truth is that it turned out really good.  Had a great flavor with a little bite to it.  Not hot ... just a hint of temperature to it.   I think one of them had some crushed pepper in it.  The stuff wasn't very expensive and likely no more expensive than what the rubs I have made up cost.

I don't have the brands or names of what I bought at Sam's.  However, next time I will buy some more and pass them along here.  But, there isn't any mystery to the rub on these ribs.

These ribs were very good.  Had a great flavor with lots of that great Hickory smoke flavor.  It was the first smoke on this new smoker.  I left them in the smoker about an hour to long and they were just falling apart when I took them out of the smoker.  I normally like my ribs to the point where when you pick up a rack in the middle they crack.  These just fell apart, ha.  :shock:

Back a couple of years ago, I got really tired of my old smokers as it wore me out having to babysit them to keep the temperature and smoke the way I like it.  I tried a couple others and didn't like the output.
Don't ever buy an electric smoker as they are a cooker and not a smoker.  My SmokeIt #3 was great for smoking salmon and beef tenderloin.  I would smoke them to an internal temperature of 137 and 141 respectively.  The secret was that it only took about 40 minuites for the salmon and 90 for the tenderloin.  The #3 worked fine as the smoke was good.  However, for longer smokes like ribs, brisket, turkeys etc they are worthless.

Back in the early 90s, I bought one of the early Trager pellet smokers and it was great for salmon and ribs etc.  So, I found another brand of pellet smoker that was built as a smoker and not a grill.  So, far with the ribs and salmon the finished product was spectacular.  I put on another three racks of ribs this morning and will try to get the time down better.

This new smoker has perfect temperature control.  Once you get it up to temperature the smoker will keep it with a couple of degrees from the target temperature.  And, it is fairly economical in terms of the amount of wood used.  The down side is they are very expensive.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Thu May 31st, 2018 02:12 am

I really enjoyed the video. Thanks Claire.

If I lived closer, I would steal your trash bags and figure out what you bought at Sam's.

Unfortunately my condo bans person Al grills so I can't really BBQ currently but I might be getting a house soon as I look forward to grill more soon

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 03:32 pm

Thanks Walt. What model pellet smoker did you get?

ArmySooner
Administrator

Country of Origin: Potawatomi Nation
Signature: Pookie Poo
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2018 08:51 pm

How did I miss this thread?

I'm actually starting to evolve backwards now. I hardly ever use my gas grill anymore. I picked up an old beat up Webber grill off the street curb that someone was giving away. I've gone back for the most part to using that charcoal grill.

I'm starting to eyeball an offset smoker.

Even though Walt doesn't like the electric smokers, mine does serve a purpose because we never cook for more than two or three of us. It does small chickens and pork butts just fine.

That's a nice looking smoker Walt, and those ribs look good!!

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2018 11:46 pm

Army - now that you are in Norman, I think you should invite yourself over to Walt’s more:lol:

I have been watching videos on these pellet smokers and they look cool. I think I want to get one sometime soon.

AdamSt13

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 1st, 2020 02:28 pm

OU_Tom wrote:
Army - now that you are in Norman, I think you should invite yourself over to Walt’s more:lol:

I have been watching videos on these pellet smokers and they look cool. I think I want to get one sometime soon.

Hi! I am going to buy my first grill for outdoors activities. Now I am comparing different grills, and I am not that experienced. I read that comparing with pellet smokers with a gas grill we can prepare food in a healthier way and it will be easy to clean it. But as I see on a web site, a good gas grill will cost a lot, and I am not sure whether it is worth so much money. Can your share with me your experience about using gas grills? I am also concerned about temperature regulation.

Fly
DEPs

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 1st, 2020 04:43 pm

Your rib,s look great. I,m more of a traditionalist as I use
wood & charcoal. I know about baby siting smokers. I entered some contest when I was younger, but could never
do that again. I now have two Weber smoky mountain smokers
that really keep the temp control very stable. I saw many contest won with them & tried one & now have two.

Fly :ou:

Shelstin

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Nov 24th, 2020 02:36 pm

OU_Tom wrote:
I really enjoyed the video. Thanks Claire.

If I lived closer, I would steal your trash bags and figure out what you bought at Sam's.

Unfortunately my condo bans person Al grills so I can't really BBQ currently but I might be getting a house soon as I look forward to grill more soon

Personally, I wouldn't live in a place that wouldn't allow you to be a man and burn stuff outside. It's un-American!

Current time is 09:11 am