Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Women's Sports > SECOND STRAIGHT RUN-RULE SEALS SERIES SWEEP

SECOND STRAIGHT RUN-RULE SEALS SERIES SWEEP
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, CalSOONER  

Print
AuthorPost
OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2018 01:55 am

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211711212

NORMAN – No. 2/2 Oklahoma softball earned its fourth consecutive conference series sweep of the season on Sunday with a 10-1 run-rule victory over Kansas in five innings at Marita Hynes Field.

The win was OU's second straight by run-rule and its 16th run-rule of the season. The Sooners have now won 29 straight games, a streak that currently leads the nation and matches OU's second best in program history.

The Sooners moved to 38-2 on the season with a 12-0 mark in Big 12 play, improving its best conference start in program history. With the win over Kansas (25-18, 0-9 Big 12), OU is now 20-0 at home this year and has won 24 straight games at Marita Hynes Field, dating back to the 2017 season.

“I felt really good about today,” OU head coach Patty Gasso said. “I felt this was a good team effort. (There were) really good, quality at-bats – I think you could feel our offense coming back in the groove.”

Nicole Mendes and Kelsey Arnold were each 2-for-2 at the plate on Sunday, both tallying one run and one RBI. Caleigh Clifton and Fale Aviu both homered in the contest, finishing the day 1-for-2 at the plate. Clifton scored one run and drove in two while Aviu scored two and drove in one.

Paige Parker and Paige Lowary combined in the circle in the series finale. Parker improved to 21-1 on the season, giving up no hits or runs while walking one and striking out three over 3.0 innings. Lowary closed the final 2.0 frames, surrending one run on two hits with three walks and two strikeouts.

The Sooners jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning. Shay Knighten put OU on the board first with a sacrifice fly to center that brought Sydney Romero home.

After Nicole Pendley walked, Clifton hit her seventh home run of the season, a two-run shot to left field.

Mendes singled on a bunt and moved to third on a single by Lea Wodach. Arnold then singled through the right side to drive in Mendes.

OU added another run in the second when Mendes singled with the bases loaded to bring Romero across home plate.

The Sooners capitalized on more bases-loaded opportunities in the third to score four more. With three runners on, back-to-back singles from Knighten and Pendley drove in Arnold, Aviu and Jocelyn Alo.

Raegan Rogers singled to load the bases once more, and Wodach drew a walk that brought pinch runner Kylie Lundberg home.

Kansas got on the board in the top of the fourth on a sacrifice fly from Harli Ridling.

In the bottom of the frame, Aviu led off with her third home run of the season, a shot over the right center wall.

Up next, the Sooners hit the road on Tuesday, traveling to Tulsa for a midweek matchup at 6 p.m. CT.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2018 01:31 pm

Here is what I took from Patty's comments on the series etc "“I felt really good about today,” OU head coach Patty Gasso said. “I felt this was a good team effort. (There were) really good, quality at-bats – I think you could feel our offense coming back in the groove.”

Yes, it was Kansas, but my guess is that Patty is working and coaching hard to get her team into shape for the post season.  We beat Oregon and we should be in really good shape down the road.

scrybe

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2018 04:37 pm

Walt wrote:
Here is what I took from Patty's comments on the series etc "“I felt really good about today,” OU head coach Patty Gasso said. “I felt this was a good team effort. (There were) really good, quality at-bats – I think you could feel our offense coming back in the groove.”

Yes, it was Kansas, but my guess is that Patty is working and coaching hard to get her team into shape for the post season.  We beat Oregon and we should be in really good shape down the road.

I agree, Walt. Of course Oregon is a really good team that plays quality defense and has a pitching staff that's very good (almost as good as ours). The Ducks will be a difficult matchup for us, especially playing them at Eugene.

Even Oregon State, with whom we have a two-game series on our western swing, will be no pushover. But if we play up to our capabilities and sweep those three games, we should put ourselves in position to bag the one or two-seed.

Washington might just be one of the two best teams in softball. If we play the Huskies, it will be in the WCWS – maybe even the finals.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Apr 17th, 2018 12:25 am

Definitely some tough games this week. I am sure that Emily Watson will be Tulsa’s pitcher; she always pitches a very strong game. Oregon is #3 so you know that will be a very tough game.

Current time is 07:59 pm