Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > OU BALL and Krueger.

OU BALL and Krueger.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Rockgod

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 09:42 pm

Dude saved the program. You have to trust him. He did not get stupid over night. BUST THE BRACKET!!! RockOn!!!
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me Captain Tig • 45M views11 years ago

Last edited on Mon Mar 12th, 2018 09:43 pm by Rockgod

Rockgod

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 09:58 pm

Rock and Roll--https://youtu.be/MtLhPeLB9bA

Last edited on Mon Mar 12th, 2018 09:59 pm by Rockgod

Rockgod

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 10:10 pm

BEAT TEXAS!!!!!:D:D:D---rockon! https://youtu.be/XcATvu5f9vE

Rockgod

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 10:26 pm

Thankyou and GOOD NIGHT!! :D---rockon boys!! https://youtu.be/dt_8aDOJvtM

Rockgod

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 10:43 pm

Gotta go----TURN IT UP!   rockon! https://youtu.be/R7E8VpsUazg

thee12nv

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 11:46 pm

He inherited a mess and right now they are still a mess.

OU812

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 02:53 am

They went to the Final Four two years ago with a solid team (and got annihilated) and haven't done much since then. Deplorable last year. They haven't won a game outside of Norman in 2018 and finished near the bottom of the conference with the leader in scoring and assists in the country. Then they were gifted a spot in the NCAA tourney primarily because of Young's appeal. I hope they can take advantage of the opportunity.

SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 04:28 pm

Kruger built the final 4 team with HS nobodies.  I wonder if the problems faced this year was due to not knowing how to blended a super talent with everyday players.

Rockgod

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 04:48 pm

SwampSooner wrote: Kruger built the final 4 team with HS nobodies.  I wonder if the problems faced this year was due to not knowing how to blended a super talent with everyday players.
I think you just hit the proverbial NAIL! Maybe Young was just too damn good. In football, you always hear that a good defense can shut one super star down. It usually means that you suffer some where else. OU never made other teams pay for shutting Young down. No one else could or would step up.

Last edited on Tue Mar 13th, 2018 04:53 pm by Rockgod

pippen

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 06:07 pm

Not sure any were given much of a chance to step up and then after a while got tired of waiting.

SoonerPGH

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 06:16 pm

pippen wrote:
Not sure any were given much of a chance to step up and then after a while got tired of waiting.

I disagree with this one. No offense intended, pippen, but when a pinpoint pass hits you square and bounces off for a turnover, it isn't the passer's fault. Also, when you stand outside and watch the Trae show instead of fighting in and making a play in the paint, not a lot one guy can do.

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 06:22 pm

did the Doolittle situation have any effect on this bunch? not saying it did or didn't, just sometimes wonder.. things were rolling right along then Doolittle returned to the team. did the chemistry suffer, did guys have trouble knowing what their roles were at that point?

SoonerHoo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 06:52 pm

soonerBAS wrote:
did the Doolittle situation have any effect on this bunch? not saying it did or didn't, just sometimes wonder.. things were rolling right along then Doolittle returned to the team. did the chemistry suffer, did guys have trouble knowing what their roles were at that point?

I've been wondering the same thing. I think Manek's play declining coincided almost precisely to Doolittle getting into the rotation. I know Doolittle does a lot of dirty work but both Manek's play suffered, and suddenly the alley oops were gone too.

This story from January 16th is amazingly prescient in predicting the last third of the season: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22121874/trae-young-great-oklahoma-sooners-already-peaked

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 07:47 pm

He talks about efficiency, but I would be more impressed if he would have predicted that teams would focus all of their efforts on Young and then the rest of the team would start stinking it up and not stepping up.

Or shooting a ton of shots against OSU and making very low percentage of those would cause team unity issues.

At least something of merit.

Without that "why", he did nothing more than guess in relation to OU's remaining schedule.

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 08:23 pm

It is on the players.....they need to make shots, they need to catch passes, they need to anticipate......the players are responsible for their level of play.....

They have it in them to do well, they ran Whichiita State off the court.....

They need to do that again...,,

pippen

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 10:32 pm

SoonerPGH wrote: pippen wrote:

I disagree with this one. No offense intended, pippen, but when a pinpoint pass hits you square and bounces off for a turnover, it isn't the passer's fault. Also, when you stand outside and watch the Trae show instead of fighting in and making a play in the paint, not a lot one guy can do.

Don't disagree with you, but would submit there were massively more possessions where TY tried to do it all and failed than those where he passed and his target failed. I hate the standing around too, but would submit that also started in earnest sometime after the halfway point.  Still, it is all in the eye of the beholder.  The kid is highly talented, but at some point this year, for whatever reasons, he stopped playing well with others and vice-versa.

22dupree

Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 02:49 pm

No doubt there were issues with team chemistry. Within any season, problems and adversity will occur ... the disappointing thing to me was our reaction to it, or in this case what looks like our non-reaction.

Looks like we didn't adjust anything once the waters got rocky.
Once teams decided to focus on limiting Trae, how did we counter that?
Once the team chemistry started to fade, what did we do about that?

A 8-0 run by your opponent is a problem. Continuing to do the same unsuccessful things and letting it turn into a 16-0 run - is a failure.
Feels like we never called "that timeout" to regroup and get the train on a better track.

More than the record and our swoon, I'm disappointed in our leadership from the bench this season.

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 08:27 pm

No way we should have lost this game with RI....

The RI kids were gassed with 10 minutes left in regulation that is why they started chunking up threes .....

mcNeace played well....so did TY......

Zgeo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2018 05:07 am

Virginia takes the heat off OU and Lon, by losing big to a 16 seed when Virginia is the favorite to win it all.....:kruger::shock:

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2018 02:15 pm

Wow.  I wasn't a Kruger fan.  He wasn't my first choice, not even my tenth.  When we got him, my first thought was, "well, the old school should be happy.  We hired the old white guy."

But, he is a good coach, just not one that I thought would ever build a program at OU.  Needed a 35-year-old.

But, this wasn't his fault.  Sometimes, you recruit players that have the ability, but they just don't do the job.  They can jump out of the gym.  They are quick.  They just aren't the gym rats who practice until they never miss free throws.  They just need to use some work effort and smarts to go with those jumping jack legs.  Let them run the Kelvin "lid on the basket" rebounding drills every day until they learn to block out and get that rebound.  Don't apologize for hitting them in the hands or the back of the head with a pass.  Tell them to catch the next one or take a seat on the bench.

This could have been a good team.  But, it took a lot more intensity than I saw.  Odomes has to learn to want to shoot free throws if he wants to drive the lane.  They can play hack a shaq with a driving guard.  Makes no sense.  Shoot 500 free throws a day until you can hit 450 of them.  Nobody should ever get a rebound with McNeace and Doolittle (and Lattin) in the middle.  That is too much jumping ability.  But, they give up offensive boards to 6-2 guards.  No......  That's not ability.  That's a lack of commitment to learn to block out and get the ball.

Young could have shot a better percentage, if anyone else had shot any percentage.  Needed others to step up.  If Young were to come back, I want someone else averaging at least fifteen with the openings that he creates.  Every drive ought to end up in points if everyone is watching for the ball.

I watched Alvan Adams work over the backs of some forwards heads as he went up for a fifteen footer, only to have two guys trying to block it.  He zipped enough passes off the back of Pritchard's head that he learned to watch for the pass and the easy, wide open layup.  If Young comes back, hit em in the head with those passes.  They may begin to notice if they get a nosebleed from their indifference.

This was good athletes who had been taught.  Then, they went out on the court and played playground ball.  The next loss could be to Columbia.  They don't even have scholarships.  Do they?

soonerBAS

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2018 06:23 pm

you know what would have been nice? more than one Sr. on this team.

there was something that was just dysfunctional about this group, I don't know... did they ever look happy, like they enjoyed the game? some things are beyond a coach, a little tough love from some upper classmen might have nipped this early on.

SoonerPGH

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 01:30 am

Pippen, you may be right. I have to confess I didn't watch a lot of the games. What I did watch angered me to the point of walking away before I started yelling at the TV. :D

The games I did watch seemed like Trae was the only one with any fire.

Edit: The censorship on this board is hilarious!

Last edited on Sun Mar 18th, 2018 01:31 am by SoonerPGH

thee12nv

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 02:38 am

It's amazing how good Texas Tech has become under their new coach. Totally different team.

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Signature: WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR THINK YOU CAN'T, YOU ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 11:09 am

thee12nv wrote:
It's amazing how good Texas Tech has become under their new coach. Totally different team.

One only needs to know is Chris Beard spent 11 years (2001-2011) at Tech learning the Bobby Knight/Pat Knight concept of basketball fundamentals while grasping the concept of communicating with today's kids instead of ruling with a Bobby Knight iron fist and chair. You watch them play and you see Bobby Knight everywhere.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 06:05 pm

I've seen posts on different OU boards that said that we had poor talent other than Trae Young. I don't think that's true. Poor talent doesn't play as well as we did as a team in November, December and the early part of conference play.

I think the problem is two-fold:

1) Work ethic
2) Confidence

All through the years Buddy and Cousins were here, you heard compliments about their work ethic and how it was contagious. We haven't heard comments like that about this group which leads me to believe their work ethic is average at best.

When things don't go their way, teams can react by feeling sorry for themselves or resolve to work harder and force things to go their way. Last year and this year, it seemed obvious to me that when things didn't go well, this group got down on themselves instead of buckling down and playing harder. There were numerous remarks about how confident the team that beat Virginia was. We seldom played with that kind of confidence in the second half of the year.

Last edited on Sun Mar 18th, 2018 06:07 pm by MsProudSooner

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 06:22 pm

MsProudSooner wrote:
I've seen posts on different OU boards that said that we had poor talent other than Trae Young. I don't think that's true. Poor talent doesn't play as well as we did as a team in November, December and the early part of conference play.

1) Work ethic
2) Confidence

All through the years Buddy and Cousins were here, you heard compliments about their work ethic and how it was contagious. We haven't heard comments like that about this group which leads me to believe their work ethic is average at best.

When things don't go their way, teams can react by feeling sorry for themselves or resolve to work harder and force things to go their way. Last year and this year, it seemed obvious to me that when things didn't go well, this group got down on themselves instead of buckling down and playing harder. There were numerous remarks about how confident the team that beat Virginia was. We seldom played with that kind of confidence in the second half of the year.

Cannot dispute your two points. But I also think this team and last year's team showed a virtual absence of basketball IQ. I see them as a reasonably athletic team with more than limited basketball skills. But to me they are yet to learn how to play basketball consistently. To often they react like they do not know what to do.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 06:34 pm

SoonerSpock wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

1) Work ethic
2) Confidence

Cannot dispute your two points. But I also think this team and last year's team showed a virtual absence of basketball IQ. I see them as a reasonably athletic team with more than limited basketball skills. But to me they are yet to learn how to play basketball consistently. To often they react like they do not know what to do.

Sometimes, when I watch them, it seems that they think too much instead of reacting instinctively. Perhaps that's the same thing.

SoonerMike

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 06:34 pm

MsProudSooner wrote:

1) Work ethic
2) Confidence

I think you have nailed the problem square on the head,

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 07:07 pm

SoonerMike wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

1) Work ethic
2) Confidence

If I'm right, how much of it is due to a lack of leadership? Much of the year, we started 2 freshmen. There was only one Senior on the team.

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2018 07:24 pm

MsProudSooner wrote:
SoonerMike wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

1) Work ethic
2) Confidence

If I'm right, how much of it is due to a lack of leadership? Much of the year, we started 2 freshmen. There was only one Senior on the team.

I am inclined to concur that the lack of leadership and confidence has a lot to do with any teams success. And there are always team issues that must be resolved by the team and not the coaches.

The days of the Bobby Knight iron fist are long past. Somebody on the team has to kick butt and take names and today I think that accountability is best done by the team leaders.

With no team leadership teams often appear fractured to me. I also agree it is important for player to play knowing they can make the needed play not just thinking they can make the play.

Last edited on Sun Mar 18th, 2018 07:31 pm by SoonerSpock

Current time is 09:45 am
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page